+ Reply to Thread

Si Simmons, Negro League Pitcher, Dies at 111

Si Simmons, the former Negro leagues baseball player who was believed to be the longest-living professional ballplayer in history, died Sunday in at a retirement home in St. Petersburg, Fla. He was 111.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/31/sp...rtner=homepage

NYYF Legend

Re: Si Simmons, Negro League Pitcher, Dies at 111

I remember reading about him earlier this year. RIP.

NYYF Legend

Miss my Ryan, Kristin and Steve. Miss seeing my dad.

Holy Molly! 111 years he was on God's earth! I'm sorry for his passing. God Bless him and let Mr. Simmons now RIP.

Think of everything the man took with him ... all he had done and seen over all those years. All the things he did in baseball and in just life its self, as well.

Wow ... Man!
    Just a Sox Fan with a Yankee Wife in tow... and with one little Red Sox fan now welcoming her new baby Yankee fan sister into "our" Yankees/Red Sox World.

Daddy Loves His Baby Angels

Wow. That means he was born in 1895. That's some life. He must have been an amazing person to sit down with and talk baseball (or history, for that matter), considering that he was alive and old enough to remember a very big portion of baseball's history, plus, at least based on that article, he still seemed to be very with it/sharp right up until his death. May he RIP.
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

RIP, Pete.

He was a Rays fan.

An interesting article written when he turned 111: http://www.tbo.com/sports/MGBVTHIG9TE.html

It's too bad he didn't get to see those Rays win.
    Not In Our House.

Was he retired?
    Whatever you think...
    Well, you're wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Screech
    He was a Rays fan.

An interesting article written when he turned 111: http://www.tbo.com/sports/MGBVTHIG9TE.html

It's too bad he didn't get to see those Rays win.
    wow that must be really sad to see both wivees and all of your children die

RIP bro
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee
    Who in their right mind would pay several thousand bucks to have some chick poop on their face like a beard?

Rip

For some reason reading about him reminds me of my grandfather, born in Italy in 1912, came to America in 1924, and saw his first baseball game at Yankee Stadium in 1932 (to see the great Babe Ruth in person of course!) He paid 25 cents for a bleacher seat. (Oh, and he bought his first car (a used Ford) for 50 bucks)

My grandpa is 94 years old now, and still going strong. His mind is completely intact and he walks half a mile a day. And of course, watching Yankee games with him on WPIX in the 80s when I was a kid was my introduction to Yankee fandom.

RIP Si Simmons...sounds like you lived a great life and had your mind with you right up till the end.
    Fall down a rabbit hole: Joe Frank.com

NYYF Triple Crown

and...another death in baseball......what's is going on...

RIP man,,,RIP

NYYF Legend

111 years old? That's amazing, I've never heard of him but maybe on some downtime I can look him up to see some of his accomplishments. RIP.
    Disco Stu:
    Nick Swisher has agreed to a $56 mil, 4 year contract with the Cleveland Indians. Good riddance!!!

teknetic
    .268/.367/.483 .850 during his four years here. Can we get rid of you instead?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi
    Wow. That means he was born in 1895. That's some life. He must have been an amazing person to sit down with and talk baseball (or history, for that matter), considering that he was alive and old enough to remember a very big portion of baseball's history, plus, at least based on that article, he still seemed to be very with it/sharp right up until his death. May he RIP.
    Just think about all the things he lived through which we can only read about in books. I hope that any interviews done with him over the years have been preserved in some form.

It may be a coincidence, but it seems that a lot of the players from the Negro Leagues lived to a ripe old age. Talk about your Field of Dreams......
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

Quote Originally Posted by 35Knucklecurve
    Just think about all the things he lived through which we can only read about in books. I hope that any interviews done with him over the years have been preserved in some form.

It may be a coincidence, but it seems that a lot of the players from the Negro Leagues lived to a ripe old age. Talk about your Field of Dreams......
    It might be a coincidence but, you're right, a lot of them do live a long time. I thought Buck O'neill would live forever.
    Bern Baby Bern

[URL="http://blog.myspace.com/bern_bern_bern"][/URL]

Rip
    "Losing is not my enemy, fear of losing is my enemy." - Tennis champion Rafael Nadal

Long, full life.

RIP.
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
    -- Neil deGrasse Tyson

NYYF MVP

RIP. O'Neil and now Simmons. There was a thread about him on this site awhile back.

NYYF Cy Young

It must have been lonely being 111 years old when all the people he grew up with have probably been dead for decades. But what a life he did lead. 111 years old....unbelievable.

NYYF Legend

Wow, 111 years old. These old Negro League players have a lot of fight in them. RIP.
    I may not have been the best Yankee to put on the pinstripes, but I am the proudest.
    - Billy Martin

Clinton, NJ - The odorless part of the state

111...God bless him!

RIP
    Waiting for Sterling to retire so I can start listening to games on the radio again...

Thread Information