+ Reply to Thread
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

How much electricity does a washer & dryer use?

I moved into a new apt in September. I pay for all utilities. The oven/stove is natural gas. I got my first electric bill the other day and it was $95. At my old place which wasn't that much smaller, it was never over $40 and that was with an electric stove/oven. The only difference is that I have a washer/dryer here. However, it's for both apartments in this house. We probably do laundry 2-3 times a week between the 2 apartments. Would that cost roughly $60 in electricity? Seems cheaper to go to the laundrymat...and then I'm still paying for the girl upstairs.

Time to call the landlord.

NYYF Cy Young

Re: How much electricity does a washer & dryer use?

If they are fairly new it shouldn't be too much, however the dryer will use the most, try not to over-dry things. Also your culprit might be the water heater. Is it electric as well and are you paying for the other apartment's hot water too? This happened in the first apartment my wife and I had, there was a water heater in the closet and it fed at least 2 other apartments but I was stuck with the bill. Like you said, time to call the landlord. Good luck!
    BOSTON STILL SUCKS!!!!!

WHATEVER YOU DO...DON'T FRAKK IT UP!!!!!

NYYF Legend

If you have a gas stove, chances are your dryer and hot water heater are gas too.
    It's true about the age of the appliances though. Even the fridge. That can be a huge electric eater if it's old.
    You know you're an addict when you put Crackbook on your Crackberry. -Toaderly

Quote Originally Posted by krystl
    If you have a gas stove, chances are your dryer and hot water heater are gas too.
    It's true about the age of the appliances though. Even the fridge. That can be a huge electric eater if it's old.
    Yup...the fridge is a big electric eater. What about heat - is that part of this equation?
    Let the kids play.

NYYF Legend

Laundry 2-3 times a week?!!? That's your culprit.

FormerlyKnownAsMHHL FormerlyKnownAsMHHL's Avatar

NYYF Legend

Those are cool calculators, but it's only for LIPA customers. It won't take my zip code.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Yeah...dryer and hot water are natural gas too. There's two water heaters so I'm not paying for the upstair's apartment on that.

The fridge is older, but not ancient.

2-3 times for laundry isn't that much. I do a load, my gf does one, and the girl upstairs does one...plus towels every other week or so.

Those are cool calculators, but it's only for LIPA customers. It won't take my zip code.
    Yeah because it uses LIPA prices. Try 11776. It'll still give you an idea.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by FormerlyKnownAsMHHL
    Yeah because it uses LIPA prices. Try 11776. It'll still give you an idea.
    Thanks.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan
    Yeah...dryer and hot water are natural gas too. There's two water heaters so I'm not paying for the upstair's apartment on that.

The fridge is older, but not ancient.

2-3 times for laundry isn't that much. I do a load, my gf does one, and the girl upstairs does one...plus towels every other week or so.
    If your dryer and water heater are gas than I can't explain your electric bill. Have the Electric company come over and check the meter and to give you tips on how to save electricity. They'll do this for free.

By the way, I have an all electric house. Heat, A/C, everything. My elec bill will go as high as $600 in some months. You have to spend your money somewhere. I look at the advantages and disadvantages of electricitric homes and decided that this is best for MY lifestyle.

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

Quote Originally Posted by Nome
    I look at the advantages and disadvantages of electricitric homes and decided that this is best for MY lifestyle.
    What's that - the fishing and playing golf all day lifestyle?

-jim
    "The only thing I know about baseball is that whatever the manager does is wrong" - Moe

Start washing your clothes at night, after 9pm preferably. It costs less that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Kulish29
    Start washing your clothes at night, after 9pm preferably. It costs less that way.
    Is that really true? I don't believe that my electric meter is capable of differentiating time of day. Do some meters have that capability?
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Jim F.
    What's that - the fishing and playing golf all day lifestyle?

-jim
    Exactly, by not having to paint the interior walls and not making dust for my wife to clean and not having a heating system that could fail I have more time for the important things in life.

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs
    Is that really true? I don't believe that my electric meter is capable of differentiating time of day. Do some meters have that capability?
    I think certain power companies offer that option but I don't think it's automatic.

Sometimes, not always.

Example: http://www.utahpower.net/Article/Article51343.html

It's what the power company has told us out here in AZ. Power costs go down after 9pm for some reason.

Thread Information