+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Yankee's tenure good for Jeff Weaver

http://www.thejournalnews.com/apps/p.../1108/SPORTS01

NEW YORK As Jeff Weaver spoke, several miles away the beginning of the latest tumultuous offseason for the Yankees took another turn with the word that Joe Torre would manage the team in 2007.
    The two will always be linked.
    In Game 4 of the 2003 World Series, Weaver, then pitching for the Yankees, served up a game-winning home run to Florida's Alex Gonzalez in the 12th inning to knot the series at two games apiece.
    Torre endorsed severing ties with Weaver that offseason, saying he didn't believe his fragile psyche could handle the anticipated abuse.
    Weaver has bounced around since, but he is back on the national stage tonight as the Game 1 starter for the St. Louis Cardinals against the Mets in the NL Championship Series.
    Once a projected star with Detroit, Weaver said he's better for the Yankee experience.
    "Those experiences are something I can always go back to and remember how I handled it," Weaver said. "All those things, good or bad, help you be the person and professional you are today."
    Weaver admitted putting pressure on himself during that season by worrying about owner George Steinbrenner's public endorsement of Jose Contreras over him.
    "You're on the biggest stage in baseball, and on top of it you're going through your toughest season as a professional," Weaver said.
    "When you stress and strain to dig yourself out of holes, sometimes it makes it worse."

Re: Yankee's tenure good for Jeff Weaver

He may be "better " for pitching for us but we sure suffered!

NYYF Legend

I know he had a good start this postseason, but honestly, he has been awful since he was here. He got dumped by the Angels for his younger brother and than almost backed the Cardinals out of the playoffs. He's crazy

I hate him.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattpat11
    I hate him.
    I hate Torre more for actually using him in a WS game when he hasnt pitched in 2 weeks.

Just the thought of Jeff Weaver makes me cringe. I often wonder who gives me more nightmares.. Weaver or Brown

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045
    I hate Torre more for actually using him in a WS game when he hasnt pitched in 2 weeks.
    me too

I have been very critical of Weaver in the past, thus this post is somewhat cathartic for me.

I have been shocked at how coachable he has become since he joined teh Cardinals. I kind of know what Dave Duncan teaches, and thus it is easy for me to see if a pitcher is buying into what he is being told. Weaver has always been competitive, but he's always wanted to do it his way. Not now. You can see the "Deacon's" fingerprints all over him.

BTW Dunc emphasizes mental toughness. Mental toughness is not just thinking you can win, but also buying into the preparation he requires, and staying with the approach that is chosen throughout the game. You attack the strike zone not by just throwing strikes, but attack it with the approach that is chosen. He's not an over-emphasizer of mechanics--if you want that, he'll pay for your plane ticket to see Tom House. Your mechanics will be changed only if they need to be in order to execute the game plan. (See, for instance, Weaver's arm slot on his cutter and curve ball.)

Duncan is not too technincal or theoretical. He understands that, mechanically, there may be several way to reach the end product. To me, that's why he is so helpful to veterans--he doesn't make them change everything, mechanically, they have learned over the years, but shows them what they need to do to succeed against a certain opponent, and a veteran pitcher will more easily see than a youngster what must be done in order to accomplish that approach against an opposing team, and will conform what needs to be conformed.

He doesn't overload...how many things can you think of at one time? I've seen good technical pitching coaches teach so much at one time there's no way a pitcher can process all the information given. He offers advice, then shuts up until you've mastered what he has taught you, and only then will he offer up more advice. He's very patient, but very demanding. He's tough as nails, and when he gives you that glare...

Kudos to a guy who is finally maturing and listening to someone who is capable of turning his career around. Weaver still has the poor body language, and gripes about borderline calls early in the game...which can turn an umpire against you for the rest of the game. Heck, he could do a 180 (or, as Mike Shannon says, "a 360" ) and go back to the bad Jeff tonight/ tomorrow. But for now, he is soaking up information, and trying his best to put it into practice while on the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal Fan
    I have been very critical of Weaver in the past, thus this post is somewhat cathartic for me.

I have been shocked at how coachable he has become since he joined teh Cardinals. I kind of know what Dave Duncan teaches, and thus it is easy for me to see if a pitcher is buying into what he is being told. Weaver has always been competitive, but he's always wanted to do it his way. Not now. You can see the "Deacon's" fingerprints all over him.

BTW Dunc emphasizes mental toughness. Mental toughness is not just thinking you can win, but also buying into the preparation he requires, and staying with the approach that is chosen throughout the game. You attack the strike zone not by just throwing strikes, but attack it with the approach that is chosen. He's not an over-emphasizer of mechanics--if you want that, he'll pay for your plane ticket to see Tom House. Your mechanics will be changed only if they need to be in order to execute the game plan. (See, for instance, Weaver's arm slot on his cutter and curve ball.)

Duncan is not too technincal or theoretical. He understands that, mechanically, there may be several way to reach the end product. To me, that's why he is so helpful to veterans--he doesn't make them change everything, mechanically, they have learned over the years, but shows them what they need to do to succeed against a certain opponent, and a veteran pitcher will more easily see than a youngster what must be done in order to accomplish that approach against an opposing team, and will conform what needs to be conformed.

He doesn't overload...how many things can you think of at one time? I've seen good technical pitching coaches teach so much at one time there's no way a pitcher can process all the information given. He offers advice, then shuts up until you've mastered what he has taught you, and only then will he offer up more advice. He's very patient, but very demanding. He's tough as nails, and when he gives you that glare...

Kudos to a guy who is finally maturing and listening to someone who is capable of turning his career around. Weaver still has the poor body language, and gripes about borderline calls early in the game...which can turn an umpire against you for the rest of the game. Heck, he could do a 180 (or, as Mike Shannon says, "a 360" ) and go back to the bad Jeff tonight/ tomorrow. But for now, he is soaking up information, and trying his best to put it into practice while on the mound.
    he'll revert back to normal soon.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LisaNicole
    Just the thought of Jeff Weaver makes me cringe. I often wonder who gives me more nightmares.. Weaver or Brown
    Easily Kevin Brown.

However, Weaver is and always will be a horrible SP.

Good to the last drop CoyoteYankee's Avatar

Well, glad the Yankees were good for you Mr. Weaver, because you sure weren't good for the Yankees.
    2014 - New Team, New Result

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

NYYF MVP

Electric stuff!!
    It was then I knew I'd had enough,
    Burned my credit card for fuel
    Headed out to where the pavement turns to sand

I called Jeff Weaver "Bad Body Language" because he throws a hissyfit when he gets down on himself.
    "Losing is not my enemy, fear of losing is my enemy." - Tennis champion Rafael Nadal

If he pitched differently on two weeks rest than he did normally, I might agree.

We don't need Weaver. He was pathetic as a Yankee. I don't like him.
    Yankees Win THEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Yankees Win!!!!!

[URL="http://whammy51.proboards39.com"]http://whammy51.proboards39.com[/URL]

Weaver...Brown...Vazquez...We've dealt with our lot of crappy pitchers the last few years!!

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
    -- Neil deGrasse Tyson

NYYF Triple Crown

Yep add it to the laundry list of reasons Torre should have been canned already.

Ace of the Staff JeterRodriguezSheff's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980
    Weaver...Brown...Vazquez...We've dealt with our lot of crappy pitchers the last few years!!

And pretty much all of them except Weaver can be argued as a good move at the time the deal was made. Pitching is just so much weaker these days in general.

NYYF Legend

Weaver. Brown was a very good pitcher before he had his injury issues. Jeff's issues aren't injury related.

NYYF Legend

For me it was Brown, at least Weaver was out there and able to get pummeled. Kevin Brown was just nursing his broken hand while cushioning his back with the millions of dollars the Yankees gave him.
    Disco Stu:
    Nick Swisher has agreed to a $56 mil, 4 year contract with the Cleveland Indians. Good riddance!!!

teknetic
    .268/.367/.483 .850 during his four years here. Can we get rid of you instead?

NYYF MVP

Washington DC (Originally from Long Island)

This is just a "glass-is-half-full" argument. Everything that's bad is a learning experience that makes you better. Everything that's good... well, you don't have to make excuses when everything is going well.

Not that I'm railing against it. If you take Jeter's "I am not afraid to fail" point-of-view seriously, than you have to accept the failure with the success. The best way to do that is use it as a learning experience.
    "Every season brings this possibility. Every season features the promise of transcendence." - SJ Gould

Brown was worse than Weaver. Everytime he pitches, we lose.
    Yankees Win THEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Yankees Win!!!!!

[URL="http://whammy51.proboards39.com"]http://whammy51.proboards39.com[/URL]

NYYF Triple Crown

Him and Kenny Rogers can go f themselves.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JeterRodriguezSheff
    And pretty much all of them except Weaver can be argued as a good move at the time the deal was made. Pitching is just so much weaker these days in general.
    The Weaver deal was a good deal at the time.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz
    The Weaver deal was a good deal at the time.
    Definitely.

Thread Information