+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Leyland said it best

Beyond the mindset, though, the series setup may have been a blessing.

"Maybe in some ways the good Lord was looking after us," Leyland said, "because I think it was probably a little bit of a bonus for us to have to only beat the Yankees three times instead of four."
    http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/g...tnered=rss_mlb

AND don't forget the fact that as the WC, you really have no right to even BE there....

Dang it, though. No matter how hard I try, I can't dislike Leyland, even though it was showboating not to let Bonderman finish the game, because he wanted him to get an ovation.
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
    -- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Re: Leyland said it best

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980

AND don't forget the fact that as the WC, you really have no right to even BE there....

Dang it, though. No matter how hard I try, I can't dislike Leyland, even though it was showboating not to let Bonderman finish the game, because he wanted him to get an ovation.
    I like Leyland too. I don't think it was really showboating so much as it was letting a 23-year old get his ovation after pitching the game of his life.

It wasn't showboating. It was rewarding his player with a much deserved ovation.
    [FONT=Verdana][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by brosiusbuddy
    It wasn't showboating. It was rewarding his player with a much deserved ovation.
    Personally, if it were me, I'd rather get the complete game than the standing ovation. The fact that I beat the Yankees in the ALDS, and beat them handily, would be reward enough.
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
    -- Neil deGrasse Tyson

It wasn't showboating at all. If I was a manager, I would have done the same thing.

The point of this thread wasn't about the showboating. That was an aside. The point was that even Leyland admitted they were lucky it was a five-game and not seven-game series. The secondary point was that as the WC, they had no right to be there.

Complete game (in a massacre) > standing ovation
    -- Neil deGrasse Tyson

NYYF MVP

The WC is a valid part of the post season. As the WC winners, I'm not sure why the Tigers didn't "deserve" to be there. :/

It kind of sounds like sour grapes to me...
    I'm a girl.

Sox/Pats fan.

Okay, that deserves an explanation. Why doesn't a WC team deserve to be there?

Joe deserved better

Leyland is a class act, a hell of a manager, and was being incredibly modest with his comments. Judging from the last few days, I think his team would have had little trouble winning one more out of three.

I wish he was our manager.
    rice is forever

Quote Originally Posted by Runan
    The WC is a valid part of the post season. As the WC winners, I'm not sure why the Tigers didn't "deserve" to be there. :/

It kind of sounds like sour grapes to me...
    It's not sour grapes. They outplayed us in this series, plain and simple, in every facet of the game. I'm not saying otherwise. I am saying they had no right to even be playing in the postseason at all.

The Wild Card is a back door into the playoffs. If you can't even win your division, you do not deserve to be in the postseason, and are definitely not legitimate champions should you win the World Series. How can you legitimately be called the "World Champions" when you weren't even champions of your five-team (in most cases) division??

The introduction of the Wild Card into baseball was one of the worst ideas of all-time. I've been saying that for a long time.
    -- Neil deGrasse Tyson

NYYF Triple Crown

The division system and unbalanced system is broken as is, hence the need for a wild card to fix the inherent problems. That being said, if we were to go back to a system of equality or requiring a winning of a division to ensure a playoff spot, we would have to completely retool both leagues and/or remove teh distinction between national and american league to balance it out. Until then, the wild card is the best choice.

It's Me! I'm the Bobblehead! MelmoandMiggy's Avatar

It's not sour grapes. They outplayed us in this series, plain and simple, in every facet of the game. I'm not saying otherwise. I am saying they had no right to even be playing in the postseason at all.

The Wild Card is a back door into the playoffs. If you can't even win your division, you do not deserve to be in the postseason, and are definitely not legitimate champions should you win the World Series. How can you legitimately be called the "World Champions" when you weren't even champions of your five-team (in most cases) division??

The introduction of the Wild Card into baseball was one of the worst ideas of all-time. I've been saying that for a long time.
    Wow, so there's been what...2 legitimate champions in the last 5 years? Not to mention that, if not for the Wild Card, the Tigers and Twins would have had a playoff (as would the Yankees and Red Sox last year) so they may very well have been in the playoffs anyway.
    If someone offers you 10,000:1 odds on anything, you take it. If John Mellencamp ever wins an Oscar, I will be a very rich man.

How can you legitimately be called the "World Champions" when you weren't even champions of your five-team (in most cases) division??
    Because baseball is about winning the world series, not necessarily being the best team in baseball?

Any WC team is just as legitimate as a division winner. If there's no WC teams are going to play a lot differently down the stretch, and I would be surprised if the Tigers hadn't won the division if the alternative was playing golf in October.

You were 15 when the wild card was introduced, honestly, how can you have so much hatred twoards it when you probably dont have a lot of memories before the wild card.

I mean i have been watching the sox forever (http://myspace-063.vo.llnwd.net/0010...01889063_l.jpg), and i cannot remember baseball without the Wild Card......then again i suppose i was 10 when it was introduced not 15...idk im rambling.

NYYF HOF

This is a joke. Saying that a wild card team doesn't deserve to be in the post season is horse .................

Who's to say the Yanks wouldn't of lost 4-1 in a 7 game series. C'mon, give the Tigers some credit

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by cmaff05
    It wasn't showboating at all. If I was a manager, I would have done the same thing.
    Right. Don't forget, Bonderman had to suffer through a 19 loss season just a few years ago on one of the worst teams of all time.

I think the kid deserved a moment for applause.

Yankee Diehard

If anyone thinks that we would have beat the Tigers in a 7-game series, is optimistic. Could we have - YES, but likely - NO. We have half ass starting pitching & our offense hides in a clam shell like an oyster come playoff time. Not to mention suspect defense.

Leyland and his Tigers are a Class Act........with this young staff they`ll be around for a while....get use to it.

"Happy Wife.........Happy Life" - unknown

If they were playing in the pre-Wild Card days, the Yankees wouldn't have made the playoffs in 1996 and 2000 (Cleveland would have won the East both years). I somehow doubt that people would want to throw out those championships.

Quote Originally Posted by DCfan
    If they were playing in the pre-Wild Card days, the Yankees wouldn't have made the playoffs in 1996 and 2000 (Cleveland would have won the East both years). I somehow doubt that people would want to throw out those championships.
    Great point.

Beep, Beep, Beep.....everyone watch out, someone is about to start back-peddaling.

Quote Originally Posted by montrealer
    Leyland and his Tigers are a Class Act........with this young staff they`ll be around for a while....get use to it.
    That made me laugh, thanks. Jim Leyland, whose been accused of beating his wife(no I don't have a link), Joe Zumaya who admittedly shows up hitters continously, Roid Head Pudge, Camera Man Boxer Kenny Rogers, and whiney ass Jeremy Bonderman are class acts? They beat us fair and square but give me a break about the 'classy' thing.

NYYF Legend

I personally like the wildcard. What I don't like is the unbalanced schedule -- because I think that's been the undoing of both the Yankees and the Red Sox in the past few years.

Both teams have built teams to beat each other. Big overpaid sluggers who can beat mediocre pitching. Bringing in mediocre pitchers who know how to beat the other team. Bringing back crappy players as a knee jerk because the other team is in town.

While they may be able to beat each other, it doesn't help them beat the rest of baseball. Sure, it's easy to beat up the Devil Rays and the Orioles of the world, but if both teams had played Detroit or the Angels or Oakland or CWS or the twins in equal to the other teams, it may make it clearer who the actual "best teams" are, rather than just "building a team to win the division" and then can't win the whole thing because of fundamental flaws.

And Toronto is doing it too, now....
    UM now, UM always
    #21 - We will never forget you.
    Let's Go Yankees!

NYYF Legend

^ I also like the wild card, and dislike the unbalanced schedule. I also dislike the best of 5 in the first round. I think beating a team 4 times is much more difficult than 3 and doesn't allow for the fluky things. Especially with wild card teams are playing, the first round is key.

Ace of the Staff JeterRodriguezSheff's Avatar

What I dont like is a 5 game series. One cold streak and a good team could look like ****. That being said the Yankees would have lost to any team in a 7 game series as well. They had a few bad breaks with the rain delay, at em balls in game 3 a bad call, and then they gave up and quit, rolled over and died. Pretty much everybody except for Posada decided it wasnt worth it to battle. There is no doubt in my mind the Yankees had the team to beat if they gave it all, but they didnt, and that is why I dont really care they lost. Hey they didnt care, so why should I?

Thread Information