+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

The Prospect Lists/Rankings Thread

It is the off-season and there will be lots of prospect lists and rankings coming out in the next few months. Let's use this thread to report them all.

I'm going to start out with my own Yankees Top 50.

I'm not satisfied with it, so I might tinker on and off.

1. Phil Hughes
    2. Jose Tabata
    3. Tyler Clippard
    4. Eric Duncan
    5. Christian Garcia
    6. Brett Gardner
    7. Austin Jackson
    8. Dellin Betances
    9. Jeff Marquez
    10. George Kontos

11. J. Brent Cox
    12. Steven White
    13. TJ Beam
    14. Justin Christian
    15. Marcos Vechionacci
    16. Colin Curtis
    17. Mark Melancon
    18. Eduardo Nunez
    19. Alan Horne
    20. Tim Norton

21. Mitch Hilligoss
    22. Francisco Cervelli
    23. Francisco Castillo
    24. Gerardo Rodriguez
    25. Tim Battle
    26. Jeff Karstens
    27. Zach McAllister
    28. Angel Reyes
    29. Erik Abreu
    30. Bronson Sardinha

31. Brett Smith
    32. Sean Henn
    33. Cody Ehlers
    34. Angel Fermin
    35. Reegie Corona
    36. Ben Jones
    37. Josh Schmidt
    38. Jason Jones
    39. Jason Stephens
    40. Matt DeSalvo

41. Omir Santos
    42. Ramiro Pena
    43. Jonathan Poterson
    44. Kyle Larsen
    45. Rolando Japa
    46. Domingo Cabrera
    47. Mario Holmann
    48. Kevin Howard
    49. Abel Gomez
    50. Seth Fortenberry

McCutchen
    Montero
    Kennedy
    Chamberlain

What do you guys think? Who's too high, who's too low? Who did I forget?

Re: The Prospect Lists/Rankings Thread

Thanks for the list...this isn't really my area so I will wait to see everyone's evaluation.

NYYF Legend

What about Chase Wright

Pretty good list, but no Jesus Montero? Or Ian Kennedy/Joba Chamberlain?

Plus Jeff Marquez should not be that high.

NYYF MVP

I normally hate lists, but I do like to see this one. There is a lot more depth to it than in years past. Hopefully the cream will continue to rise. Let me be the first to nominate Vechi as breakout offensive player of the year next year. 15 is a good spot for him. Jackson might be a bit high, but I think that he is another candidate to have a huge year now that he has acclimatised himself to year round baseball.
    Corona and Fortenberry should be a little higher, Battle a little lower. No major complaints though, this is really good work
    "No, I would not like to reconsider being a Yankee fan, and no, marrying a New Englander should have no bearing on it."

NYYF Legend

Jace - I totally forgot about Chase Wright. Thanks for pointing that out.

Iknowcool - I stayed away from including Montero because he hasn't played yet. Kennedy pitched very little and Chamberlain hasn't pitched either at all. If they were to be included, they'd be in the 15-25 range for me.

Marquez has tremendous upside, IMO and pitched quite well before and after his injury this year. You could make the case for moving him down a few spots and inserting either Beam or Cox in his stead.

I can do my top 25.
    1. Hughes
    2. Tabata
    3. Clippard
    4. Duncan
    5. Jackson
    6. Montero
    7. JB Cox
    8. Garcia
    9. Kennedy
    10. Gardner
    11. Chamberlain
    12. Betances
    13. Melancon
    14. McAllister
    15. Chase Wright
    16. Steven White
    17. Colin Curtis
    18. Kontos
    19. Norton
    20. Marquez
    21. A. Reyes
    22. Vechionacci
    23 F. Castillo
    24 Abreu
    25 Horne
    26. Ehlers
    27. Rodriguez
    28. Henn
    29. Corona
    30. Karstens

I don't mean to be so argumentative, but Kennedy and Chamberlain have proven track records in college and that really trumps their lack of pro experience. If they were fresh out of HS and hadn't pitched this year, I could see your point, but thats not the case.
    As goes for Montero, he does have a lack of experience, but he plays a premium position and has a great bat. (Arguably the most power potential in the system.)
    Of course, this is all my opinion, and I could be just talking out my ass here.

Poterson is still a prospect?
    SI: Do you have a secret ambition?
    Igawa: That's secret.

"They should just practice during the regular season and show up for the playoffs -Ichiro on the Yankees

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by gdn
    Jace - I totally forgot about Chase Wright. Thanks for pointing that out.

Iknowcool - I stayed away from including Montero because he hasn't played yet. Kennedy pitched very little and Chamberlain hasn't pitched either at all. If they were to be included, they'd be in the 15-25 range for me.

Marquez has tremendous upside, IMO and pitched quite well before and after his injury this year. You could make the case for moving him down a few spots and inserting either Beam or Cox in his stead.
    The only guys on your list who do not belong there, IMO, are Santos, Poterson, and Larsen. I would also add Wright, and he would be somewhere in the 20-25 range.

I agree with you not adding the Kennedy, Chamberlains et al of the draft who did not pitch at all, or very little. You have to play somewhat to deserve to be ranked.

You ar so right about Marquez. He may not have ACE potential like a Phil Hughes, but he is at worst, a #3 in the future. If he stays healthy, and continues to progress. He has all the tools.

Bottom line - good job. Some guys should be lower, and other higher, but that's quibbling.

NYYF Legend

If I were to add Chamberlain, Wright, Kennedy and Montero to the list, that would knock off Poterson, Holmann, Gomez and Fortenberry.

Chamberlain would slot in at 13, Kennedy at 21, Wright at 25 and Montero at 12.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by mbn007
    The only guys on your list who do not belong there, IMO, are Santos, Poterson, and Larsen. I would also add Wright, and he would be somewhere in the 20-25 range.

I agree with you not adding the Kennedy, Chamberlains et al of the draft who did not pitch at all, or very little. You have to play somewhat to deserve to be ranked.

You ar so right about Marquez. He may not have ACE potential like a Phil Hughes, but he is at worst, a #3 in the future. If he stays healthy, and continues to progress. He has all the tools.

Bottom line - good job. Some guys should be lower, and other higher, but that's quibbling.
    The reason I put Santos on there is that he is a great defensive catcher and worked wonders with the Trenton staff this year (albeit he was given a fantastic rotation). PP had at him in the mid-40s last year and his bat did come around to the end of the season, so that warranted a low spot from me. In my updated list, I took Poterson and Larsen off.

NYYF Legend

A list for those that would include Kennedy, Chamberlain and Montero.

1. Phil Hughes
    2. Jose Tabata
    3. Tyler Clippard
    4. Eric Duncan
    5. Christian Garcia
    6. Brett Gardner
    7. Austin Jackson
    8. Dellin Betances
    9. Jeff Marquez
    10. George Kontos

11. J. Brent Cox
    12. Jesus Montero
    13. Steven White
    14. Joba Chamberlain
    15. TJ Beam
    16. Justin Christian
    17. Colin Curtis
    18. Mark Melancon
    19. Alan Horne
    20. Tim Norton

21. Ian Kennedy
    22. Marcos Vechionacci
    23. Eduardo Nunez
    24. Mitch Hilligoss
    25. Francisco Cervelli
    26. Francisco Castillo
    27. Gerardo Rodriguez
    28. Chase Wright
    29. Tim Battle
    30. Jeff Karstens

31. Zach McAllister
    32. Angel Reyes
    33. Erik Abreu
    34. Bronson Sardinha
    35. Brett Smith
    36. Sean Henn
    37. Cody Ehlers
    38. Angel Fermin
    39. Reegie Corona
    40. Ben Jones

41. Josh Schmidt
    42. Jason Jones
    43. Jason Stephens
    44. Matt DeSalvo
    45. Omir Santos
    46. Ramiro Pena
    47. Rolando Japa
    48. Domingo Cabrera
    49. Kevin Howard
    50. Abel Gomez

NYYF Legend

The reason I put Santos on there is that he is a great defensive catcher and worked wonders with the Trenton staff this year (albeit he was given a fantastic rotation). PP had at him in the mid-40s last year and his bat did come around to the end of the season, so that warranted a low spot from me. In my updated list, I took Poterson and Larsen off.
    Fair enough.

To me though, Pilitterre and Irwin Rojas may be better prospects. But that's a personal preference. I am not yet sold on Greenwood, although he had surprising power this season. I need to see him in person for a better analysis. Maybe he gets to Trenton sometime this year.

NYYF Legend

Missing the cut: Daniel McCutchen, Ivan Nova, Nick Peterson, RJ Swindle, Corey Stuart, Shelley Duncan, Fortenberry, Gabe Lopez, Vince Faison, PJ Pilitterre.

NYYF Legend

Fair enough.

To me though, Pilitterre and Irwin Rojas may be better prospects. But that's a personal preference. I am not yet sold on Greenwood, although he had surprising power this season. I need to see him in person for a better analysis. Maybe he gets to Trenton sometime this year.
    I forgot about PJ too, but even if I had remembered, I don't think he would have made my list (well, maybe in the 45-50 range). I think he needs to show more as does Greenwood.

NYYF Legend

Geez, a few others I forgot: Josue Calzado, Melky Mesa. I love it!

NYYF Legend

I forgot about PJ too, but even if I had remembered, I don't think he would have made my list (well, maybe in the 45-50 range). I think he needs to show more as does Greenwood.
    I saw PJ a few times the past 2 seasons in SI. This year, he moved up, so I missed him, and can't judge how he has progresses. His bat definitely improved, as his season stats testify. His defensive skills were OK, IMO. Nothing special, but solid enough.

Yes, he does need to show more. And he is closing in on 25 years of age, so he needs to show more NOW.

NYYF Legend

I saw PJ a few times the past 2 seasons in SI. This year, he moved up, so I missed him, and can't judge how he has progresses. His bat definitely improved, as his season stats testify. His defensive skills were OK, IMO. Nothing special, but solid enough.

Yes, he does need to show more. And he is closing in on 25 years of age, so he needs to show more NOW.
    Another one: Jose Gil. Wasn't he more touted than Cervelli coming into this year?

NYYF Legend

Another one: Jose Gil. Wasn't he more touted than Cervelli coming into this year?
    Yes he was.

He took a step backwards in the beginning of the season, although he picked it up later on. Needs to show me again if he can hit. His power is very limited though.

Also Wilmer Pino should be there somewhere, especially if you are going to rank Fermin so high (wow did he suck this year). Also, some of the DSL guys have a track record that is good enough to place them in the 35-50 range, like A. Almonte and Andres Dionicio.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by geodork
    Also Wilmer Pino should be there somewhere, especially if you are going to rank Fermin so high (wow did he suck this year). Also, some of the DSL guys have a track record that is good enough to place them in the 35-50 range, like A. Almonte and Andres Dionicio.
    Good points. I thought about Pino, but ultimately thought that some others had more of a track record than him. He did have the highest BA (I think) on his team, but not much else. Fermin was very well thought of last year, but you're right - he stunk it up this year. However, so did Vech and Nunez and I think their potential is high. I'm going to give them another year and didn't see too much regression to take them off the list or drop them any further.

As far as the DSL guys are concerned, I know nothing about them other than their stats. There are the Almonte boys and Dionicio. I guess as I read more about them after Instructs, I'll have a better idea of where to place them, but at this point I have no idea how they rate or compare to others, which is why I left them off the list.

Good points. I thought about Pino, but ultimately thought that some others had more of a track record than him. He did have the highest BA (I think) on his team, but not much else. Fermin was very well thought of last year, but you're right - he stunk it up this year. However, so did Vech and Nunez and I think their potential is high. I'm going to give them another year and didn't see too much regression to take them off the list or drop them any further.

As far as the DSL guys are concerned, I know nothing about them other than their stats. There are the Almonte boys and Dionicio. I guess as I read more about them after Instructs, I'll have a better idea of where to place them, but at this point I have no idea how they rate or compare to others, which is why I left them off the list.
    I think Pino needs to be on there because at one point his average was consistently hovering around .340 on SI throughout the year and I think we should not include Montero yet until he's played a baseball game, other than that I think the list will definately change over the next few months because of such players we have not seen much yet as you just stated.

Overall a great job on the list.
    Future
    Betances(P)Brackman(P)Hughes(P)Heredia(P)Ramirez(P)Chamberlain(CP)Melancon(SU)
    Montero(1B)Cano(2B)Angelini(SS)Suttle(3B)
    Almonte(OF)Heathcott(OF)DeLeon(OF)Romine(C)

Don't forget about Dave Robertson.

I think Duncan and Kontos are a little high but it's more personal preference then any mistake on your part.

Quote Originally Posted by Steph19
    Don't forget about Dave Robertson.

I think Duncan and Kontos are a little high but it's more personal preference then any mistake on your part.
    I agree with Duncan but Kontos deserves that ranking, he had a hell of year and proved he can pitch in playoff atmosphere.
    Future
    Betances(P)Brackman(P)Hughes(P)Heredia(P)Ramirez(P)Chamberlain(CP)Melancon(SU)
    Montero(1B)Cano(2B)Angelini(SS)Suttle(3B)
    Almonte(OF)Heathcott(OF)DeLeon(OF)Romine(C)

Thread Information