+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Drink?

Favorite Drink?

So, we have a beer page. However, we don't have a page for like mixed drinks and shots and the rest.

But what about mixed drinks? Shots? I'm a new 21 year old and I want to try stuff and I'm sick of the same things! So, what do you guys drink? And if beer- fine... just say it.
    [

NYYF Triple Crown

Re: Favorite Drink?

I like a martini. It took a long time to get used to (gin is, how do you say it, distinctive- that is to say, for a newbie, it's terrible: the taste is just much stronger than vodka) but if it's well mixed it's one of my favorite drinks.

I also like scotch. Almost any brand or kind. That's the only alcohol that I ever drank so much of I became stupid drunk (also known as Game 7 of the 2004 ALCS.)

*Midori sour
    *Captain Morgan & Coke/Cherry Coke (add Malibu or Parrot Bay and it's even better )
    *Cranberry & Vodka (recommend Smirnoff Black Cherry Vodka...EXCELLENT w/ cranberry )
    *Oatmeal Cookie shots - have Goldschlager and taste just like the cookies...but get you wasted
    *Amaretto sour
    *Tom Collins
    *Strawberry Daiquiri
    "I usually try to plan my bowel movements before I shower."
    -- fredgmuggs

Alright, alright, alright... Big_E's Avatar
    37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Does Diet Coke with Lime count as a mixed drink if I add the lime myself?

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

Quote Originally Posted by Big_E
    Does Diet Coke with Lime count as a mixed drink if I add the lime myself?
    Are you using lime juice or are you just dropping a lime slice into the Diet Coke? We can't answer your question without this vital information.
    "I usually try to plan my bowel movements before I shower."
    -- fredgmuggs

Pina Colada, but you have to find someplace who knows how to make it right, with fresh ingredients. So far, the only place that does it right that I've found is the Hyatt Regency Maui bar, located in the cave.
    Let the kids play.

Back when I used to drink, I always loved a good Manhattan, or perhaps an Old Fashioned. If I was in a sipping mood, I'd get some Bushmills.

Released Outright

I mostly do mixed drinks on business trips and I stick to two drinks. If it's any-bar USA, I do a vodka tonic. Simple, easy - no surprises.

If it's a place known for martinis, I go with my favorite of all drinks. A Sapphire gin martini, with extra dry vermouth. I like the vermouth to wash the ice, and then be drained off. And I like the gin to be stirred in the shaker with the ice, not shaken. Shaking gin damages the aroma and flavor (also clouds it). Top that off with two or three olives. I'll have a martini at home, but mainly I drink wine at home.

NYYF Legend

Oh c'mon...we need as many threads on this topic as possible
    She sits there so refined and drinks herself half blind
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson -

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bosox Guy in Chitown
    I mostly do mixed drinks on business trips I stick to two drinks. If it's any-bar USA, I do a vodka tonic. Simple, easy - no surprises.

If it's a place known for martinis, I go with my favorite of all drinks. A Sapphire gin martini, with extra dry vermouth. I like the vermouth to wash the ice, and then be drained off. And I like the gin to be stirred in the shaker with the ice, not shaken. Shaking gin damages the aroma and flavor (also clouds it). Top that off with two or three olives. I'll have a martini at home, but mainly I drink wine at home.
    Why is it called a Sapphire gin martini? Is that the brand of the gin?

I don't get out much
    She sits there so refined and drinks herself half blind
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson -

Quote Originally Posted by Trish
    Oh c'mon...we need as many threads on this topic as possible
    I just enjoy the Search feature on this site so much 'cause it's just so fun and easy to use!
    *** 18 - 0 ***
    (asterisks and all!)

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by Trish
    Why is it called a Sapphire gin martini? Is that the brand of the gin?

I don't get out much
    Yes, it is. Sorry - I wrote it like I order it.

http://www.877spirits.com/store/images/large/5628a.jpg

NYYF Legend

White or red wine - very dry.

Scotch - Glenlivit

I drink a beer maybe once or twice a year - Budweiser.

I also love pina coladas in the summer.
    Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer. ~Ted Williams

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bub
    Pina Colada, but you have to find someplace who knows how to make it right, with fresh ingredients. So far, the only place that does it right that I've found is the Hyatt Regency Maui bar, located in the cave.
    I'm in charge of making the pina coladas when my friends and I get together. I never use a mix.
    Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer. ~Ted Williams

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by WashingtonYankee
    So, we have a beer page. However, we don't have a page for like mixed drinks and shots and the rest.

But what about mixed drinks? Shots? I'm a new 21 year old and I want to try stuff and I'm sick of the same things! So, what do you guys drink? And if beer- fine... just say it.
    If you're a new 21 year old and you're already sick of the same things there's no hope for you!
    Life is a Waste of Time, Time is a Waste of Life, so let's get Wasted all the Time, and have the Time of our Lives

It's not about the destination. It's about the journey.

"Only the good die young"

My regular favorite mixed drink

Take one 16oz-20oz glass (heavy is good)
    fill with ice (not crushed)
    add 1/4(to taste) inch Jim Beam Rye
    top with prerefrigerated cola (I go with Pepsi, but we could agree to differ here)

I'd primarily identify myself as a rye/scotch drinker, although I've tried a LOT of different spirits.

IMO its best to stick to fundamentals when mixing drinks. Typically don't bother with expensive brands for mixed drinks, with the exception of Vodka.

I'm not a great fan of bourbons, and I've tried everyone I've been able to. Rye whisky, to me, is superior, even if the general perception is its a "lower class/quality/whatever" drink.

I like Isle of Islay single malts. Lagavulin(15) and Springbank(15). From other areas, I'm also a huge fan of Dalwhinnie(14) and very occasionally, Talisker (40). A little pure ice if I'm adding anything.

Other mixed drinks... I like Mojitos, Pina Coladas and barely iced Margarita's.

Simple syrup,Coco Lopez, Rose's lime, Bacardi Coco, ice, mint sprigs and seltzer to taste. Using Bacardi Coco rather than regular rum is a great choice. Parrot Bay is simply a widely advertised rum, and I don't think its superior, in any way.

10 Cane, however, is a superior rum. Really the first premium rum to offer significantly more, even though it is a LVMH vehicle. It's finer than a traditional first press, and interestingly, uses virgin sugarcane rather than mollasses. Pretty much a waste in a cocktail, it has fabulous bold notes that muddle the classics, like Cuba Libre's. Great, but drink it straight, with a little soda or ice.

Margarita's are a favorite, because you can do so much with them. Leroux Triple Sec or Contreau, dash of Rose's, good blue agave tequila and plenty of fresh squeezed lime, with fresh lime wedges and shots on the side. I'm not a fan of salt rimmed glasses. I often dilute these.. I think they can be too bold uncut, and never use crushed ice (although I love frozen pina coladas.)

In the way of Tequilas, you don't need to go nuts. If you like a very assertive tequila, I'd recommend Sauza Hornitos. A reposada tequila and the hardest most "tequila" one at that. I'd use this in mixed drinks because its a very good value, and assertive enough not to get drowned.

Sauza Blanco is a classic (not 100% agave) white tequila. Patron and Don Eduardo (abeit another LVMH vehicle) are also both good, if you like your margarita's classically smooth. Del Maguey San Luis del Rios, however, is something incredible. Single malt quality tequila, although tough to source and not cheap. I've avoided Cuervo since I was informed that they used caramel for color in Cuervo Gold.
    [SIZE=1]September 20, 2006 - NY Yankees AL East champions[/SIZE][SIZE=1][URL="http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060913&content_id=1661142&vkey=news_nyy&fext=.jsp&c_id=nyy"][/URL]
    [/SIZE]

NYYF Legend

My favorite drinks as of 9-22-2006 are as follows:

- Chocolate milk
    - Dr Pepper
    - Lemonade
    - Oolong tea (hot)
    - root beer/cream soda

No alcohol for me just yet.
    Disco Stu:
    Nick Swisher has agreed to a $56 mil, 4 year contract with the Cleveland Indians. Good riddance!!!

teknetic
    .268/.367/.483 .850 during his four years here. Can we get rid of you instead?

NYYF HOF

Southern Comfort on the rocks with a lemon
    "We understand that John Henry must be embarrassed, frustrated and disappointed by his failure in this transaction. Unlike the Yankees, he chose not to go the extra distance for his fans in Boston. It is understandable, but wrong that he would try to deflect the accountability for his mistakes on to others and to a system for which he voted in favor. It is time to get on with life and forget the sour grapes."

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by Toaderly
    Back when I used to drink, I always loved a good Manhattan, or perhaps an Old Fashioned. If I was in a sipping mood, I'd get some Bushmills.
    Manhattans and Old Fashions are great. I just learned about them, my fiance is a bartender and she can make really good ones. Can't have too many though cause they will mess you up quick.
    Never Trust A Man With No Shirt On

NYYF Legend

Vodka tonic

NYYF Legend

Forest Lawn Memorial Park - Plot: Court of Freedom Block 7060 Lot 6-A

Liquor - Jack Daniels or Courvoisier
    Beer - Killian's Irish Red

Cheers.
    3 4 5 7 8 10 16 37

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by Bosox Guy in Chitown
    I mostly do mixed drinks on business trips and I stick to two drinks. If it's any-bar USA, I do a vodka tonic. Simple, easy - no surprises.

Ooo. The only perfect martini I ever had was Sapphire , at a nice dinner with my parents and some friends.

i love me a nice dirty vodka martini, or a nice vodka gimlet made with fresh lime juice, not roses ... mmmm...
    i am an equal opportunity drinker, though - i love wine, beer, and liqour - just not the sweet stuff...

NYYF Legend

Whiskey and coke.

Thread Information