+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: How about Cory Lidle?

A solid backend started for our rotation. He would have been the pitcher I'd prefer to hang onto for a year or two until Hughes or Clippard was ready. That ice cream game was one of my favorite memories from this past season.
    I may not have been the best Yankee to put on the pinstripes, but I am the proudest.
    - Billy Martin

RIP

NYYF Legend

Very grateful for the contributions made by Cory Lidle this season, especially that exciting game in Boston that completed the sweep. May God Bless.
    GO YANKS
    1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 8, 9, 10, 15, 16, 20, 23, 32, 37, 42, 44, 46, 49, 51

NYYF Triple Crown

I loved after his first start for the Yankees, a 6 inning win, when he came back to 6 ice cream bars in the locker room.

NYYF MVP

It's nice seeing the few Yankee moments Lidle had. Thanks for bringing this thread back up.
    #27 IN 2007

I apologize for listing him as one of the players I did not want back in 2007. I didnt mean for this to happen.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Zilla
    I apologize for listing him as one of the players I did not want back in 2007. I didnt mean for this to happen.
    You don't need to apologize for that. You probably did not want him back for baseball and money reasons and not anything personel. An incident like this transcends baseball inside the lines and if anyone had known he was going to die I think everyone in the forum would want to have him back. You're not a bad person for not wanting him back because no one could forsee this happening.
    #27 IN 2007

Thank you for the memories Cory
    "Long Island is New Jersey with a GED." - Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

Addicted Member

That it will never come again
    Is what makes life so sweet.
    -Emily Dickinson

Thanks again, Cory.

RIP
    deleted because?[URL="http://www.twitter.com/mlbautographs"][IMG]http://www.twittersigs.com/twitter_sig.php?uname=mlbautographs[/IMG][/URL]

All Praises Be to Mariano destro's Avatar

thanks Cory
    [B][SIZE=1][I]"Fans don't boo nobodies..." - Reggie Jackson
    [/I][/SIZE][/B]

NYYF Legend

I also was one of those who did not want Lidle brought back for 2007. I suspect that Lidle himself felt he would be elsewhere in 2007. Still, he was a human being, and for that, my heartfelt sympathies go out to his family, especially his 6 year old son, who will grow up without a Father at home.

A tragedy. A real human tragedy.

RIP Cory.

I really think that if Lidle wasn't injured he would have been much better for us. He was very sick during an Angels start where we only went 4 innings, and he had a few starts that were affected by tendinitis in one of his fingers on his throwing hand.

However, he was absolutely incredible in his first two starts (against Toronto and the Red Sox). He had the best start of anybody on the team during the Boston Massacre II.

RIP...I think everyone's still in shock over this. I feel bad for his wife, his son, and his parents who found out on television...ugh
    [SIZE=1]"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." - A.S.
    [/SIZE]

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by PaulieIsAwesome
    I loved after his first start for the Yankees, a 6 inning win, when he came back to 6 ice cream bars in the locker room.
    Yep. Of the few stories we can speak of given his short tenure in pinstripes this one will be the one we all remember and talk about for years. His first start as a Yankee and a good-natured ribbing based on some critical comments. One can't help but to smile when speaking of or hearing about that start.
    Disco Stu:
    Nick Swisher has agreed to a $56 mil, 4 year contract with the Cleveland Indians. Good riddance!!!

teknetic
    .268/.367/.483 .850 during his four years here. Can we get rid of you instead?

This is far and away Cory's best moment as a Yankee. I wish he was around longer so we got to know him better.

NYYF MVP

A real shame.
    It was then I knew I'd had enough,
    Burned my credit card for fuel
    Headed out to where the pavement turns to sand

The day after this game I got a free copy of the NY Times in a hotel and on the front page was a great photo of Cory jumping to and tagging first base, getting Big Papi out. I thought it was a cool picture so I cut it out and hung it on my fridge. I am really glad I have it now.

RIP Cory.

NYYF Legend

Although very few of us, if any, ever met Cory Lidle, you feel as if you knew him personally.

In baseball, as well as any sport, hobby or interest, you follow this team and the players just about 3-4 hours every single day for 6 months. You observe the players, their mannerisms, how they carry themselves and the like, and you form a relationship with the team and player. It's a very particular type of relationship, maybe unusual in comparison to loved ones or others in our lives, but we still indenfity with them. We let these people into our lives every day. They transcend time and generation in families, culture and simple society.

Tragedy indeed. I can only imagine the devastation the Lidle family and his loved ones are encountering today. I feel a loss for Lidle and his family, the same way I felt jubulation when he shutdown the Red Sox at Fenway or beating Toronto in his first start with NYY, or even the inning he held the Tigers scoreless last Saturday where I hoped it would turn the game around.

We're all invested in this despite drastically different roles, and losing someone this tragically is extraordinarily difficult.
    GO YANKS

NYYF Cy Young

Eloquently said, BamTino. I am still in shock and do somehow feel that I knew him. Somehow it doesn't matter anymore who wins in postseason.

Life is short. Drink beer yankeeman61's Avatar

I can't help but to relive Thurman Munson's tragedy. The thing that strikes me is the similarity of the family man aspect. We all know Thurman's story and the reason he bought his plane. Everything Lidle's friends and teammates are saying refer back to his wife, son and family. He was obviously well-liked as a person first and what he meant to his loved ones. To me that is the saddest part of this loss and that his wife will have to go on without him, as well as his young son. I felt the same way when Thurman died.

The thing we take for granted as we follow these pro athletes is that they sacrifice a great deal for the careers they have. You can't put a price on time away from loved ones. I'm sure a guy like Cory Lidle would have given up his career and his tragic hobby to be there for his family, if only he had known how short his time would be. RIP Cory. Our world was a better place with you in it and may your family be blessed as they try to carry on without you.
    (Signature removed by moderator. No animated images allowed in sigs. Feel free to use a conventional, small-size image. Thanks for your understanding.)

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

On the way into work this morning on the 4:40 AM ESPN sports center radio, the announcer said "The Yankees knew that they were going to have a lot of decisions to make with their pitching staff, one of them was answered yesterday when Cory Lidle died ..."
    Life is good!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by GoRocket
    On the way into work this morning on the 4:40 AM ESPN sports center radio, the announcer said "The Yankees knew that they were going to have a lot of decisions to make with their pitching staff, one of them was answered yesterday when Cory Lidle died ..."
    Seems a bit tasteless to me.
    GO YANKS

Quote Originally Posted by GoRocket
    That's pathetic.

It was an Al Leiter esque performance.

One of my favorite moments of the year. Thanks Cory

Thread Information