+ Reply to Thread
Page 61 of 227 FirstFirst ... 11 51 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 71 111 161 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,525 of 5661

Re: The "TV shows that don't warrant their own thread" thread

Quote Originally Posted by NYDCYankee View Post
    I thougt Veep was excellent. But I say this as someone who has worked on The Hill and has had a lot of contact with the Offcie of the Vice President over the past few years, so perhaps it just struck me as particularly funny. It is very inside the Beltway though, but I am glad about that.

It was the pilot of a comedy though, so I expect to get even better, as I usually find sitcom pilots to not be the best the show can be as the characters are still finding their way sort of and haven't gelled comedically.
    One of the things that I didn't like at times was that I thought that parts (especially just the general level of inner-office incompetence) seemed especially implausible, so maybe now that I have someone who has seen the VP's office and thinks it's not, I'll give it some more credit.
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

RIP, Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    One of the things that I didn't like at times was that I thought that parts (especially just the general level of inner-office incompetence) seemed especially implausible, so maybe now that I have someone who has seen the VP's office and thinks it's not, I'll give it some more credit.

Haha, well yeah, I think they did their homework and obviously embellished big time from there. Just my opinion. I think at its heart though the show is going to be a zany office-set comedy, so silly stuff in the office like signing the wrong name on a birthday card will probably be a part of the show.
    "Long Island is New Jersey with a GED." - Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

NYYF Legend

I figure that it's always the third episode of a TV show that gives you an idea of what the show will really be like.

The pilot is just meant to get it on the air. The second show is everybody getting their feet wet. The third show should have everything down.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NYDCYankee View Post
    I thougt Veep was excellent. But I say this as someone who has worked on The Hill and has had a lot of contact with the Offcie of the Vice President over the past few years, so perhaps it just struck me as particularly funny. It is very inside the Beltway though, but I am glad about that.

It was the pilot of a comedy though, so I expect to get even better, as I usually find sitcom pilots to not be the best the show can be as the characters are still finding their way sort of and haven't gelled comedically.
    You may already know this, but 'Veep' is effectively the US version of a UK comedy, 'The Thick of It', about a hapless government minister in a department with very little clear purpose. The creator of the show is the same in both cases (a half-Scottish, half-Italian comedian named Armando Iannucci), and he also wrote the Oscar-nominated 'In the Loop', which is essentially a movie version of 'The Thick of It', set largely in Washington DC.

I can't quote any of the best lines for reasons of incredible profanity, but I think BBC America is planning to show season 3 of 'The Thick of It' this year sometime. And you should be able to find 'In the Loop' in the states easily; it had a good US cast.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania
    Mayonnaise is a demanding master.

NYYF Legend

Hmmm... I wonder if Yes, Minister is on Netflix, etc. That was true government comedy. The only person who could get canned for cost-savings was the tea lady....

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

"It's not government work if you don't have to do it twice."

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by penfold View Post
    Hmmm... I wonder if Yes, Minister is on Netflix, etc. That was true government comedy. The only person who could get canned for cost-savings was the tea lady....
    In fact, the reason Iannucci created 'The Thick Of It' is that he presented a piece for a TV show which pitted the best British comedy shows against each other, arguing that 'Yes Minister' was the best British comedy of the last century. He then decided that it needed updating, and created his own show.

There's also a 'remake' of 'Yes, Minister' being created. And there was a stage show recently, though I missed it.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

Nothing on the 75% amazing NBC Thursday comedies?

Community - along with the Ken Burns' spoof, this was my favorite episode of the season. Sometimes these spoof episodes fall flat, but this one was so well done with details that only L&O fans would pick up on (the crime being discovered by two workers doing their job, the suspect being too busy to stop working to talk to the cops, and getting the real ME from the show) it was just fun. I also loved how they cut Britta off mid sentence since she ruins everything anyway. The best part was Michael K. Williams saying "a man's got to have a code" a la Omar.

30 Rock - Live show was really funny because unlike last time, they didn't try to do a live 30 Rock, they just used the 30 Rock characters to do quick skits of how great and cringy live TV can be. By far the highlight was Jon Hamm. If you saw it, you know.

Parks & Rec - pretty nice return from hiatus. Paul Rudd was great as the clueless vote buying opponent to Leslie. Didn't really find the donor party scenes funny, mainly because I don't like Chris Pratt or his character who's name escapes me.

The Office - just end already.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    Nothing on the 75% amazing NBC Thursday comedies?

Community - along with the Ken Burns' spoof, this was my favorite episode of the season. Sometimes these spoof episodes fall flat, but this one was so well done with details that only L&O fans would pick up on (the crime being discovered by two workers doing their job, the suspect being too busy to stop working to talk to the cops, and getting the real ME from the show) it was just fun. I also loved how they cut Britta off mid sentence since she ruins everything anyway. The best part was Michael K. Williams saying "a man's got to have a code" a la Omar.
    It was really brilliantly done. I agree with the Omar bit being my favorite with the one exception of Troy's altered Miranda rights when they were hauling Starburns off.

Quote Originally Posted by Saxmania View Post
    and he also wrote the Oscar-nominated 'In the Loop', which is essentially a movie version of 'The Thick of It', set largely in Washington DC.
    I watched this the other day and thought it was excellent. A few extremely memorable characters, great dialogue, and plenty of laugh out loud funny moments. I wish Veep was a little closer to In the Loop and a little less traditional sitcomy.
    -Kevin

RIP, Pete.

I watched the first Veep last night. It had some funny moments, but nothing groundbreaking. I enjoy Tony Cole even if he's never going to be as great as Buster Bluth, and the chief of communications guy (don't know his name) pulls off the annoying asshole routine well (he was basically playing the small role he had in the Hangover). The girl from My Girl grew up to be very pretty.

NYYF Legend

I finally started watching Archer. Hilarious.

NYYF Legend

Looking forward to the "Hatfields and the McCoys" on the History Channel. I'm a Bill Paxton and Kevin Costner fan. Looks like a decent mini-series.
    My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay.

Quote Originally Posted by GiambiRocks View Post
    Looking forward to the "Hatfields and the McCoys" on the History Channel. I'm a Bill Paxton and Kevin Costner fan. Looks like a decent mini-series.
    You mean the History Channel is going to have something on actual history for a change? Last time that happened was 2007.

NYYF Legend

You mean the History Channel is going to have something on actual history for a change? Last time that happened was 2007.
    C'mon now... any show about Hitler doesn't count. I think that knocks the time back to 1993.

I found the first 2 seasons of Breaking Bad on DVD for $10 each. Been having a marathon. So worth the money.
    You're a stranger til she whispers you can stay.
    You're a stranger til she whispers that your journey's over.

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    I found the first 2 seasons of Breaking Bad on DVD for $10 each. Been having a marathon. So worth the money.
    Where was that?

I recently re-activated my Netflix account and switched to streaming only. I've had Arrested Development recommended to me several times over the years by various people, and finally decided to give it a try since they have all of the episodes on streaming. I can't believe I waited this long to watch this show. I just hope the quality keeps up through all three seasons (I'm 9 episodes in now.)
    -Kevin

RIP, Pete.

NYYF Legend

I recently re-activated my Netflix account and switched to streaming only. I've had Arrested Development recommended to me several times over the years by various people, and finally decided to give it a try since they have all of the episodes on streaming. I can't believe I waited this long to watch this show. I just hope the quality keeps up through all three seasons (I'm 9 episodes in now.)
    My experience - Season 1 is gold, season 2 has some classic bits but struggles sometimes to come up with ways to move the overall plot forward, season 3 is great but desperate, so it ends up more meta than you reading this forum post right now which is me describing how meta it is.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

My experience - Season 1 is gold, season 2 has some classic bits but struggles sometimes to come up with ways to move the overall plot forward, season 3 is great but desperate, so it ends up more meta than you reading this forum post right now which is me describing how meta it is.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania
    A bit disappointing, but understandable given the quality of the first season that it probably wouldn't be able to live up to that. Glad to hear that it doesn't seem to drop off the face of the earth or anything, though. It sounds to me like you're saying that seasons 2 and 3 are very good, but not as great as season 1. Is that about right?
    -Kevin

RIP, Pete.

In seasons 2 & 3 of AD, the plots get a little ridiculous and stretched, but the writing never falls flat.

NYYF Legend

In seasons 2 & 3 of AD, the plots get a little ridiculous and stretched, but the writing never falls flat.
    Pretty much this. It helps that running jokes start to be established that help to paper over repetitions in the plotlines; it's always a funny show, but it's seldom better than season 1 over a stretch.

'Better Off Ted' makes a good chaser, partly for the presence of Portia di Rossi, and also for the writing quality, when you get to the end.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

Pretty much this. It helps that running jokes start to be established that help to paper over repetitions in the plotlines; it's always a funny show, but it's seldom better than season 1 over a stretch.

'Better Off Ted' makes a good chaser, partly for the presence of Portia di Rossi, and also for the writing quality, when you get to the end.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania
    That one's available on Netflix instant too. I have a feeling it won't be too long until I get to the end of Arrested Development. I'll add that one. I have a bunch of TV series queued that I've always planned on getting around to seeing but for whatever reason have never actually watched an episode of.
    -Kevin

RIP, Pete.

NYYF Legend

That show really gets better with multiple viewings. I couldn't really tell you which seasons are the best, though the 3rd season is always hinting at their impending doom, so it's kind of annoying, but you notice so many tiny things going back a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th time.

Then you go to the wiki and there's so much stuff you didn't even make the connection with, even with repeated viewings. The show is a masterpiece.
    Masahiro Tanaka, 24-0 in 2013. He's the Japanese Jack Bauer.

NYYF Cy Young

I love AD. And it gets better each time you watch it, because you notice things you missed the first time, that just makes it funnier and funnier.
    The Bob Loblaw Law Blog

Thread Information