+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 152
  1. #1

    Liriano headed to DL. Out indefinately.

    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2543069

    Francisco Liriano was on the verge of tears after Monday night's game against the Tigers. However, it's the Twins who might be crying hardest with one of their aces looking at a likely trip to the disabled list.

    The Tigers roughed up Liriano in a 9-3 rout Monday, and after the game, Twins manager Ron Gardenhire announced that the left-hander is still suffering from soreness in his throwing forearm.
    Wow. Does this end the ROY, Cy talk?

    I know there is a Liriano thread, but I think this is significant enough to break out of a multi-page thread to discuss news like this.

  2. #2
    Hello dum-dum... effdamets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Now in Section 312

    Re: Liriano headed to DL. Out indefinately.

    Quote Originally Posted by YankeeClemens22
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2543069



    Wow. Does this end the ROY, Cy talk?

    I know there is a Liriano thread, but I think this is significant enough to break out of a multi-page thread to discuss news like this.
    Oooo... This can't be good for Minnesota....
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

  3. #3
    NYYF MVP

    chelloveck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Manhattan

    Re: Liriano headed to DL. Out indefinately.

    Quote Originally Posted by YankeeClemens22
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2543069



    Wow. Does this end the ROY, Cy talk?
    Papelbon by default.
    I got mine in blazing copper.

  4. #4
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Turn my headphones up

    Re: Liriano headed to DL. Out indefinately.

    If Wang manages to throw another shutout tonight, all the sudden he's in the middle of the Cy race too. All he has to do is shut out the White Sox... easy

  5. #5
    NYYF Legend

    chanman7483's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Singapore

    Re: Liriano headed to DL. Out indefinately.

    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

    Thanks for ruining my morning man. :@#LKj:%lj%:l@#jk%:lk@#%

  6. #6
    Give me the Zoppity mentalgidget's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Back in the Ocean State

    Re: Liriano headed to DL. Out indefinately.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jace
    If Wang manages to throw another shutout tonight, all the sudden he's in the middle of the Cy race too. All he has to do is shut out the White Sox... easy
    I think Wang is in the mix... if he throws anotehr shutout tonight, he begins to seperate himself from the field, IMO.
    Ah, dammit! I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes. Donnez moi pancakes. Click click, bloody click pancakes!
    -- Stewie Griffin

  7. #7
    NYYF Legend

    gdn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    your face

    Re: Liriano headed to DL. Out indefinately.

    OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

    NO NO NO

    This ruins my FBB team. Thank God I didn't drop Escobar. GO#@&&A&AMIT

  8. #8
    NYYF Legend

    chanman7483's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Singapore

    Re: Liriano headed to DL. Out indefinately.

    I've been sitting around for the past 5 minutes in a state of panic... I can't focus with this on my mind....

    Hello Vincente Padilla

  9. #9
    NYYF Legend

    yanksphan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    nühamshä

    Re: Liriano headed to DL. Out indefinately.

    Ouch. Too bad for the Twins. Hello Matt Garza...
    Auction League: Bitches Brew - 2006, 2007, 2008 Champs
    NYYFans.com League: Bad Apples - 2008 Champs

  10. #10
    NYYF Legend

    NelsonMuntz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Alexandria, VA

    Re: Liriano headed to DL. Out indefinately.

    That really sucks for the Twins.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

  11. #11

    Re: Liriano headed to DL. Out indefinately.

    Quote Originally Posted by mentalgidget
    I think Wang is in the mix... if he throws anotehr shutout tonight, he begins to seperate himself from the field, IMO.
    I think a shutout tonight just moves him from the Mussina/Zito/Schilling group to the Santana/Halladay/Verlander group.

  12. #12
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Turn my headphones up

    Re: Liriano headed to DL. Out indefinately.

    Quote Originally Posted by mentalgidget
    I think Wang is in the mix... if he throws anotehr shutout tonight, he begins to seperate himself from the field, IMO.
    Not yet. Verlander has 14 wins and a 2.79 ERA. There is almost zero reason currently to vote Wang over Verlander. I think Halladay is also still beating him, with Santana, Moose, and Papelbon all even or slightly ahead

  13. #13
    Good to the last drop CoyoteYankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    NJ

    Re: Liriano headed to DL. Out indefinately.

    And the door just slammed shut on the Twins chances possibly of getting to the playoffs but most probably on getting past round 1 of the playoffs.
    2014 - New Team, New Result

    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

  14. #14

    Re: Liriano headed to DL. Out indefinately.

    Quote Originally Posted by mentalgidget
    I think Wang is in the mix... if he throws anotehr shutout tonight, he begins to seperate himself from the field, IMO.
    That's an if the size of David Wells.

  15. #15
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Turn my headphones up

    Re: Liriano headed to DL. Out indefinately.

    Quote Originally Posted by justin32099
    That's an if the size of David Wells.
    Oh thank you, we needed that, we shall now go temper our expectations

  16. #16
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    baltimore, md

    Re: Liriano headed to DL. Out indefinately.

    Quote Originally Posted by chelloveck
    Papelbon by default.

    try verlander. he paces a run away first place team that's basically a worst to first story.

    papelbon is great, but it's not even close when you compare.

  17. #17

    Re: Liriano headed to DL. Out indefinately.

    That's a really tough break for the twins.
    "And I wonder, when I sing along with you. If everything
    could ever feel this real forever. If anything could ever be this good again."

  18. #18
    NYYF Cy Young

    montyque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Fort Greene, Brooklyn

    Re: Liriano headed to DL. Out indefinately.

    Quote Originally Posted by ojo
    try verlander. he paces a run away first place team that's basically a worst to first story.

    papelbon is great, but it's not even close when you compare.
    I dunno... I haven't paid nearly as close attention to the Tigers as I have the Red Sox, for obvious reasons, but Papelbon has clearly (thus far) put up one of the all-time greatest seasons for a closer. He's stood out as a godsend on a pretty crappy relief corps, and a pretty crappy whole pitching staff, for that matter. I think there's even a case for him as team MVP over that DH, whats his name, Clutchie McClutchenstein.

  19. #19
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    baltimore, md

    Re: Liriano headed to DL. Out indefinately.

    Quote Originally Posted by montyque
    I dunno... I haven't paid nearly as close attention to the Tigers as I have the Red Sox, for obvious reasons, but Papelbon has clearly (thus far) put up one of the all-time greatest seasons for a closer. He's stood out as a godsend on a pretty crappy relief corps, and a pretty crappy whole pitching staff, for that matter. I think there's even a case for him as team MVP over that DH, whats his name, Clutchie McClutchenstein.
    the league hasn't seen papelbon and though he appears he'll be great, what we are seeing is essentially one of the greatest smoke/mirrors displays of all time.

    i'm not calling him a charlatan or a fraud, cuz he's clearly storming the league with the goods, but know this - every time he's been burned this year (4 BS) it's been against a team that's already faced him. he's able to hide behind the 'unfamiliarity' clause....wait til he gets seen more...verlander doesn't have that luxury in that teams face him 4/5 times a game.

  20. #20
    Hello dum-dum... effdamets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Now in Section 312

    Re: Liriano headed to DL. Out indefinately.

    Quote Originally Posted by ojo
    the league hasn't seen papelbon and though he appears he'll be great, what we are seeing is essentially one of the greatest smoke/mirrors displays of all time.

    i'm not calling him a charlatan or a fraud, cuz he's clearly storming the league with the goods, but know this - every time he's been burned this year (4 BS) it's been against a team that's already faced him. he's able to hide behind the 'unfamiliarity' clause....wait til he gets seen more...verlander doesn't have that luxury in that teams face him 4/5 times a game.
    At this point, if Mariano Rivera never won a Cy Young award, I don't think one can be awarded to Paplebon.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

  21. #21

    Re: Liriano headed to DL. Out indefinately.

    Quote Originally Posted by ojo
    the league hasn't seen papelbon and though he appears he'll be great, what we are seeing is essentially one of the greatest smoke/mirrors displays of all time.

    i'm not calling him a charlatan or a fraud, cuz he's clearly storming the league with the goods, but know this - every time he's been burned this year (4 BS) it's been against a team that's already faced him. he's able to hide behind the 'unfamiliarity' clause....wait til he gets seen more...verlander doesn't have that luxury in that teams face him 4/5 times a game.
    None of that changes the fact that Papelbon is having an historic season. Plenty of relief pitchers fit the bill you just described, but none post a .6 ERA. What he's doing is pretty special.

  22. #22
    NYYF Cy Young


    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Rockland

    Re: Liriano headed to DL. Out indefinately.

    ojo,

    Does it matter? IF Papelbon puts up the numbers to deserve a 2006 single season award it should be decided based on who deserved it in 2006. Not who will be better the rest of the way. I think Liriano is the better pitcher than Verlander but if his injury and late start mean Verlander having the clearly better season I can't reasonably vote on Liriano based on the fact that I think his rookie card will be more valuable.

    If your prediction holds up true and Papelbon starts to get hurt in the remaining 2 months, then it will show in his stats and its a moot point.

  23. #23
    Addicted Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Fort Lauderdale - nice place

    Re: Liriano headed to DL. Out indefinately.

    Quote Originally Posted by chelloveck
    Papelbon by default.
    More like Papelbon on merit...it was going to be close even if Liriano was healthy. It might have come down to which team made the playoffs.

  24. #24
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    baltimore, md

    Re: Liriano headed to DL. Out indefinately.

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyLopez
    ojo,

    Does it matter? IF Papelbon puts up the numbers to deserve a 2006 single season award it should be decided based on who deserved it in 2006. Not who will be better the rest of the way. I think Liriano is the better pitcher than Verlander but if his injury and late start mean Verlander having the clearly better season I can't reasonably vote on Liriano based on the fact that I think his rookie card will be more valuable.

    If your prediction holds up true and Papelbon starts to get hurt in the remaining 2 months, then it will show in his stats and its a moot point.
    i made that point only to help show the true distance between verlander and papelbon.

    but you're right, the stats will tell most of the story when it's all said and done.

  25. #25
    Released Outright keithf1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bowie, MD

    Re: Liriano headed to DL. Out indefinately.

    Hey, we aren't the only team with injuries

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts