+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Refuse to Boo Campaign...

I noticed today, in Hitman23's signature, the words Refuse to Boo...I thought it was great so i've added it to my own signature (hopefully with your approval Hitman). What I think would be great, would be if those of you who Refuse to Boo Alex Rodriguez would put this phrase into your signatures, and perhaps we can even get some crazy forum fellas to bring a sign to the stadium with the term on it. I think it would be great (hey you know you would get put up on YES tv with a sign like that), and would perhaps be contagious or inspire others to follow the example. I feel it would also show Alex (via the signs in the stadium) that not all the fans are coming down on him. It's a crazy little idea, I realize this... but it could be very beneficial, after all booing itself is contagious, the less people that join in, the less people will be willing to start it (for fear of embarassment hopefully).

NYYF Legend

Re: Refuse to Boo Campaign...

Booing is dumb. Especially for a guy who can empty the bases on one swing. It's funny because Alex is going to make all those people look so stupid.
    Disco Stu:
    Nick Swisher has agreed to a $56 mil, 4 year contract with the Cleveland Indians. Good riddance!!!

teknetic
    .268/.367/.483 .850 during his four years here. Can we get rid of you instead?

Quote Originally Posted by DontHateOnNumber2
    Booing is dumb. Especially for a guy who can empty the bases on one swing. It's funny because Alex is going to make all those people look so stupid.
    To anyone with half a brain, you are correct. THEY will say the boos turned him around and lay claim to his success. Just watch.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Gehrig'sGhost
    To anyone with half a brain, you are correct. THEY will say the boos turned him around and lay claim to his success. Just watch.
    Booing helps a player by telling him to stop sucking.

Also, enough with the Pavano jokes.

very smart idea tino. i think it would be great if arod saw some of those signs and thought 'hey maybe not everyones against me im gonna do it for those guys'
    GET NOMAR TO PLAY 1ST

it's absolutely fine. I'm hoping all people who won't boo will make it known that they won't do it. I still believe the people doing this is a minority, that most of us do want A-Rod as a Yankee and want him to do well. The problem is we can't cheer outs and errors so the minority has become loud. I'm hoping eventually it will get to the stadium and A-Rod will see it's not the Yankee fanbase as a whole. And there are those who remain fans.
    You're a stranger til she whispers you can stay.
    You're a stranger til she whispers that your journey's over.

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

A modified version.

Kill that Shutter!!! ManilaYankee's Avatar

I'm in.
    \m/(-_-)\m/

Oh, please. I'm not going to boo Arod (because I think booing is stupid and as a fan of the New York Yankees I will never boo any of their players)... but I'm not going to feel sorry for him because people are booing him. You know what, the people booing him would love to cheer for ARod.... all he has to do is give them a reason to cheer for him. Don't take this personally, but quite frankly, this campaign to make me feel sorry for ARod because of all the big bad booers is having the complete opposite effect on me.
    Last edited by fredgmuggs; 07-24-06 at 10:58 PM.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Four bucks and two underground trains away from my Bleacher seat

Quote Originally Posted by gdn
    Pavano? Who's that?

BwAAAAAAAAA-ha-ha-ha-haaaaaa! AAAAAAAAAA-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-haaaaaa! Giggle. Drool.

P.S., I never boo ARod, but I dunno, having a whole campaign against it could just end up drawing more attention to it. Just cheering really loudly might be better.

NYYF MVP

Sign me up!

Devoted Member
    Viva Las Vegas, 2539 miles from Yankee Stadium

I've had this in my sig for over a month now I think and I'll probably keep it even after Arod reverts back to normal, just as a reminder of all the idiots who actually booed him.

If I was in NY, I would definitely bring a big sign with this sig on it.

I hope more people jump on the wagon.
    [FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=5]REFUSE TO BOO!!![/SIZE][/FONT]

"Mariano Rivera might do his job better than any other athlete in history of team sports." - Peter Abraham

NYYF Legend

What world are you living in?? DO YOU ACTUALLY BELIEVE THAT??

tell me where you work and I'll come by and boo you constantly for three hours a day.

Booing and "constructive criticism" are always destructive to a players performance.

It isn't enough to start a refuse to boo campaign, but we need to start to cheer him at every plate appearance and at every play in the field.

WHAT A STUPID COMMENT you made. Boo! Boo! Boo! Boo! Boo!

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

I'm in!!!

I've been part of the "refuse to boo" campaign, but I have recently changed my signature to show more support specifically to A-Rod.

Count me in!

NYYF Legend

NYC or 2.77 miles from the greatest stadium on earth

Quote Originally Posted by Nome
    WHAT A STUPID COMMENT you made. Boo! Boo! Boo! Boo! Boo!
    Andy, you are my hero for saying this.
    Words cannot describe how much I hate Derek Jeter and his legion of stupid ass fans.

NYYF MVP

I'm in...

NYYF Triple Crown

Count me in as well.

Andy (Nome), I usually don't speak for others but, in fairness, I think gdn’s comments were facetious based on some ongoing comments that were being made by a lummox in another thread. Bottom line is that I think he would fully agree with you if someone else had said that in seriousness. Just wouldn't want people left with an incorrect impression about anyone. But, I suppose we can wait and see if he responds for himself with specifics.

NYYF Legend

Something said earlier in this thread intrigued me. Someone mentioned that they'd rather not draw attention to it anymore than it gets, but just to cheer "really loud like."

For the first time in my life, I was able to fly to New York with my dad and take in 2 Yankee games. We saw Sidney's first game as a Yank and Randy's loss the next day. First, it was an amazing experience, and wish I could be there for every game.

Here, however, is my reason for mentioning this... I knew from watching games on MLB.tv and the YES Network that A-Rod was getting mercilessly booed by the fans, and I of course assumed that meant he wouldn't get a good reception during his walk-up to the plate. I was wrong. I was amazed to hear that A-Rod got the second biggest ovation before his at bat only to Jeter. Then, after he promptly would pop-up or ground out, the boo-birds would return. I was amazed how so quickly fans went from cheering to booing.

If there was actually a point to booing, I might understand it, but bleacher bums with nothing else to do than be critical of a ballplayer because "he makes a lot of money" is just laughable and idiotic.

Four bucks and two underground trains away from my Bleacher seat

Quote Originally Posted by TheYankee
    Something said earlier in this thread intrigued me. Someone mentioned that they'd rather not draw attention to it anymore than it gets, but just to cheer "really loud like."

I was amazed to hear that A-Rod got the second biggest ovation before his at bat only to Jeter. Then, after he promptly would pop-up or ground out, the boo-birds would return. I was amazed how so quickly fans went from cheering to booing.
    I was the one who recommended cheering.

And I think you're making a mistake that many in the sports media make: you refer to "fans" doing something (in this case, switching from cheering A-Rod to booing him). I suspect that you were listening to two separate, though somewhat overlapping, groups of fans, one that likes to cheer A-Rod, and one that likes to boo him, with some people who do both depending on his performance.

That kind of thing often happens in large crowds. Some fans do one thing, then some more fans do another thing, still other fans do yet another different thing, others do nothing, and some other guy was out getting a beer. Some people do the Wave, others mock them. Then the next time they might all switch roles. It's hard to tell.

There are 50,000-plus people at pretty much every Yankee home game these days; it's rarely accurate to describe anything as being done by "the fans," unless it's something really obviously unanimous, like the entire stadium standing.

Anyway, I just keep cheering for A-Rod (at 25-30 games a year), but I can't stop those who just keep booing him.

All Praises Be to Mariano destro's Avatar

I have joined the campaign.
    [B][SIZE=1][I]"Fans don't boo nobodies..." - Reggie Jackson
    [/I][/SIZE][/B]

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Without the booing, the player wouldn't know he is sucking.
    Life is good!

I'm in, it still puzzels me that this guy gets jeered by his home crowd. Last time I was at the game a guy was booing him because he wasnt like Brooks Robinson, I just looked at him as if he was crazy and asked who is?

Thread Information