+ Reply to Thread
Page 257 of 259 FirstFirst ... 157 207 247 254 255 256 257 258 259 LastLast
Results 6,401 to 6,425 of 6460

Re: The New York Mets Thread

New York Mets@Mets 46m #Mets sign RHP Daisuke Matsuzaka. He will wear #16 and will start Friday night vs. Detroit.

I hears a blurb on radio before, I thought they said the Mets signed "Dice Clay"
    Roger Maris = single season "natural" home-run record-holder.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerNatural View Post
    I hears a blurb on radio before, I thought they said the Mets signed "Dice Clay"
    Dice can probably pitch better than Daisuke at this point.
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do. - Joe Walsh

Hickory dickory dock. Oh!

37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    New York Mets@Mets 46m #Mets sign RHP Daisuke Matsuzaka. He will wear #16 and will start Friday night vs. Detroit.
    The part that is most surprising is that he got Gooden's old #16.

I would have thought the Mets would have retired that, or at least had it in semi-retirement, just not handing it out anymore.

For all his life problems, he's still one of the best/most iconic Mets pitchers.

Looking it up, only #37 for Stengel, #41 for Seaver, #14 for Hodges and #42 for Robinson have been retired.

In over 50 years...only one "true Met"? Stengel is more known for the Yankees, Hodges for the Dodgers and of course Robinson for the Dodgers...

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    Hickory dickory dock. Oh!
    Little Boy Blue...

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    The part that is most surprising is that he got Gooden's old #16.

I would have thought the Mets would have retired that, or at least had it in semi-retirement, just not handing it out anymore.

For all his life problems, he's still one of the best/most iconic Mets pitchers.

Looking it up, only #37 for Stengel, #41 for Seaver, #14 for Hodges and #42 for Robinson have been retired.

In over 50 years...only one "true Met"? Stengel is more known for the Yankees, Hodges for the Dodgers and of course Robinson for the Dodgers...
    That does surprise me that his number is not retired. Perhaps the Mets are still mad that he didn't pitch his no hitter for them rather then the Yanks.

Little Boy Blue...

....he needed the money..........
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

Jack & Jill went up the hill
    Both with a buck and quarter.

Jill came down with $2.50!
    OH!

“Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

That tells me that for all the dumb things the Mets' organization has done over the years that they at least respect the sanctity of the retired number and don't go retiring the numbers for every Tom, Dick and Reggie Jackson that played for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Man View Post
    That tells me that for all the dumb things the Mets' organization has done over the years that they at least respect the sanctity of the retired number and don't go retiring the numbers for every Tom, Dick and Reggie Jackson that played for them.
    Or that they don't know how to honor greatness? Yes, the Yankees went overboard.

But the Mets could have honored Koosman, Strawberry, Gooden, Hernandez, Piazza, Carter...and still have only a nice core of people.

But the Mets could have honored Koosman, Strawberry, Gooden, Hernandez, Piazza, Carter...and still have only a nice core of people.
    Maybe it's just me, but my preference on retired numbers is that they should be reserved for Hall of Fame-level players who played the bulk (85%) their careers with the franchise. Koosman definitely was not a Hall of Fame level player and played just 12 of his 19 seasons with the Mets (and went 11-35 in the last two with them). He's definitely out in my book.

Strawberry is certainly mostly associated with the Mets, but only played 8 of his 17 seasons with them (admittedly 7 of the 9 non-Met seasons could barely be considered more than partial seasons). His Mets years were mostly spectacular (145 OPS+, 252 HRs, WS) and had he managed to play a full career at anywhere near that level (and stayed clean) he would have been a HoF player. I could accept them retiring #18 for him.

Gooden is similar to Strawberry in that by far his best seasons were with the Mets (157 wins, 85 losses, 116 ERA+) and, like Strawberry, if he could have stayed clean and maintained anywhere near that level of performance could have been in the Hall too. In my view, retiring his number isn't quite so clear cut. He'd be kind of the Ron Guidry of the Mets if they were to retire his number. His numbers with the Mets are remarkably similar to Guidry's career numbers with the Yankees (I would not have retired #49).

Hernandez won his MVP with the Cardinals. While his Mets numbers in seven seasons were comparable (slightly worse) than his Cardinals numbers in ten seasons, the Cardinals haven't retired his number and I doubt they have any plans to do so, so there is no reason for the Mets to retire #17 either.

By most measures, Piazza's seven seasons with the Dodgers were better than his eight with the Mets. Again, not a high enough percentage of his career with with the Mets to suit me, but if and when he is elected to the Hall of Fame, I could see them retiring #31.

Carter only played five seasons with the Mets and his offensive numbers were mediocre at best (.249 BA, 89 HR, 104 OPS+). No retired number for him.

The only thing that really makes Hernandez and Carter Mets "legends" is the fact that they played on the '86 WS team. That also greatly helps Strawberry and Gooden when one thinks of their Mets careers. Same for Reggie with the Yankees. Had he struck out instead of hitting that meaningless third HR in the eighth inning of Game 6 in 1997, his number probably wouldn't have been retired by the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Man View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but my preference on retired numbers is that they should be reserved for Hall of Fame-level players who played the bulk (85%) their careers with the franchise. Koosman definitely was not a Hall of Fame level player and played just 12 of his 19 seasons with the Mets (and went 11-35 in the last two with them). He's definitely out in my book.

Strawberry is certainly mostly associated with the Mets, but only played 8 of his 17 seasons with them (admittedly 7 of the 9 non-Met seasons could barely be considered more than partial seasons). His Mets years were mostly spectacular (145 OPS+, 252 HRs, WS) and had he managed to play a full career at anywhere near that level (and stayed clean) he would have been a HoF player. I could accept them retiring #18 for him.

Gooden is similar to Strawberry in that by far his best seasons were with the Mets (157 wins, 85 losses, 116 ERA+) and, like Strawberry, if he could have stayed clean and maintained anywhere near that level of performance could have been in the Hall too. In my view, retiring his number isn't quite so clear cut. He'd be kind of the Ron Guidry of the Mets if they were to retire his number. His numbers with the Mets are remarkably similar to Guidry's career numbers with the Yankees (I would not have retired #49).

Hernandez won his MVP with the Cardinals. While his Mets numbers in seven seasons were comparable (slightly worse) than his Cardinals numbers in ten seasons, the Cardinals haven't retired his number and I doubt they have any plans to do so, so there is no reason for the Mets to retire #17 either.

By most measures, Piazza's seven seasons with the Dodgers were better than his eight with the Mets. Again, not a high enough percentage of his career with with the Mets to suit me, but if and when he is elected to the Hall of Fame, I could see them retiring #31.

Carter only played five seasons with the Mets and his offensive numbers were mediocre at best (.249 BA, 89 HR, 104 OPS+). No retired number for him.

The only thing that really makes Hernandez and Carter Mets "legends" is the fact that they played on the '86 WS team. That also greatly helps Strawberry and Gooden when one thinks of their Mets careers. Same for Reggie with the Yankees. Had he struck out instead of hitting that meaningless third HR in the eighth inning of Game 6 in 1997, his number probably wouldn't have been retired by the Yankees.
    If you look at any list of Greatest Mets, I'm sure you will find Koosman in the Top 10.

[ EDIT TO ADD ]

Checking....

Newsday had: Seaver, Piazza, Hernandez, Carter, Gooden, Wright, Strawberry, Koosman, Cleon Jones, Howard Johnson (http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseba...time-1.3830499)

ESPN had: Seaver, Gooden, Strawberry, Piazza, Wright, Koosman, Hernandez, Reyes, Carter, Beltran. (http://espn.go.com/newyork/photos/ga...-greatest-mets)

Yahoo had: Seaver, Gooden, Strawberry, Hernandez, Piazza, Koosman, Wright and Carter. (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/bracket...0278--mlb.html)

SNY (http://metsmerizedonline.com/2012/06...-unveiled.html): had Koosman as their all-time #1 LH SP.

Koosman is an all-time Met. And higher than I even thought, falling in the Top 6 to 8 each time.

NYYF Triple Crown

Today Matt Harvey became the first pitcher to allow at least 13 hits but no more than 2 runs since Victor Santos on June 9, 2004.

Harvey being shut down. MRI found something a tear of the UCL. Just announce on 660.
    May require TJ surgey!!

NYYF Legend

That sucks. Pretty much the worst news the Mets could have gooten.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Just saw this in an e-mail...horrible news for the Mets.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Wow. That's awful.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Poor Mets.

Addicted Member

This does suck...I immediately texted my Met friend when I read this to say...sorry dude... Harvey is all he could talk about this season.
    "Being the captain of the team, he always is there for us, and I appreciate that. He's my friend, my teammate and I love him." ~ Mariano Rivera about Derek Jeter.

Sad news.

But we been through our share this season here in Yankeeland.

The good news is, it may be awhile, maybe more than a year, but the elbow is usually easily fixed and people come back stronger than ever.

Better than shoulder for sure.
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

And it's better to have it now, where if he definitely needs TJ, he can miss all of 2014 rehab through the winter and come back in 2015.

If this happened say in May, there's a chance they would want to rush him back faster than necessary, and that could screw him up for even longer...

Awful news for Harvey and the Mets. I hope he recovers fully, he seems like a good dude and it's fun watching him.

This really is bad for the Mets. Given that the NL is so damn weak (again) and their abundance of young power arms, they really could have contended next year if they got a couple of decent bats in the off-season. Alderson's plan since taking over was to contend by 2014 and it seems like they will miss that target now.
    “He's a clown. Guy says he's from the 209, what the ................ is that?

-CC Sabathia on Dallas Braden

Maybe he'll think twice now about nailing the Yankees best hitter with a pitch in the All Star Game going forward.

On the other hand... They say pitchers come back stronger after TJS. That's scary good for this kid.

(Sorry to hear this news about any player)
    Whatever you think...
    Well, you're wrong.

I have to admit, I lol'd a bit when I heard the news. Seems the Mets have picked up some kind of curse.
    You're a stranger til she whispers you can stay.
    You're a stranger til she whispers that your journey's over.

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

Thread Information