+ Reply to Thread
Page 250 of 258 FirstFirst ... 150 200 240 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 ... LastLast
Results 6,226 to 6,250 of 6444
    NYYF Legend

Re: The New York Mets Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Chacon View Post
    Also yeah let's not make Bay out to be a saint. He is not giving up a cent (and he shouldn't).
    If he's not giving up any of the salary then no that "being a good guy" comment obviously doesn't apply. But you say "he shouldn't", which is fair under the current system for him but let's be real - that system is completely unfair to the fans. If a player gets injured or doesn't produce, he still takes home his full salary. Fair to the fans would be the ability to release players for non-performance without having to pay the rest of the contract so the money could be freed up to pay someone who can actually get the job done. The union could be made whole by the team having to spend that money on another player, but for god's sake haven't we had enough Jason Bays, Kei Igawas, Vernon Wells, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by BRNXBMRS View Post
    As more news came out, Bay is getting his salary but its just back loaded.
    Maybe it is another Bobby Bonilla deal.
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do. - Joe Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    The union would strongly oppose giving up a lot of money -- they were the ones who kept A-Rod from going to Boston -- he was willing to give up some money then. I wonder what the financial terms of Bay's agreement were.
    The union won't allow a contract to be devalued.
    That's what happened to Alex when Boston tried to bamboozle him.
    If a player forfeits money because he wants to retire, he's allowed.
    But as long as that said player continues to be active, he'll get the money he signed for.
    Otherwise, MLB turns into the NFL and the owners totally take advantage of the players when it comes to the money.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    If he's not giving up any of the salary then no that "being a good guy" comment obviously doesn't apply. But you say "he shouldn't", which is fair under the current system for him but let's be real - that system is completely unfair to the fans. If a player gets injured or doesn't produce, he still takes home his full salary. Fair to the fans would be the ability to release players for non-performance without having to pay the rest of the contract so the money could be freed up to pay someone who can actually get the job done. The union could be made whole by the team having to spend that money on another player, but for god's sake haven't we had enough Jason Bays, Kei Igawas, Vernon Wells, etc...
    Then teams need to spend smarter. Guaranteed contracts are guaranteed contracts. A team doesn't get out of a contract just because a player isn't as good as they'd hoped he'd be.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RenoHightower View Post
    Guaranteed contracts are guaranteed contracts. A team doesn't get out of a contract just because a player isn't as good as they'd hoped he'd be.
    Never said otherwise. I was just commenting on having to give players those said guaranteed contracts. The world doesn't have to be that way, the NFL has a system where most contracts are subject to arbitrary termination just like 90% of real people employment contracts. This is just the CBA that MLB players and owners have agreed to

Then teams need to spend smarter.
    The Mets probably overpaid for what they were expecting, but holy crap the guy gave them nothing. Where else does such a failure to perform even at a minimum level result in getting full compensation? Besides pro sports I can only think of big company CEOs and their golden parachutes

Never said otherwise. I was just commenting on having to give players those said guaranteed contracts. The world doesn't have to be that way, the NFL has a system where most contracts are subject to arbitrary termination just like 90% of real people employment contracts. This is just the CBA that MLB players and owners have agreed to

The Mets probably overpaid for what they were expecting, but holy crap the guy gave them nothing. Where else does such a failure to perform even at a minimum level result in getting full compensation? Besides pro sports I can only think of big company CEOs and their golden parachutes
    Or anywhere that they have contracts.

NYYF Legend

Or anywhere that they have contracts.
    tell that to your boss next time you get laid off

karl rove lol
    always reasonable

“He's a clown. Guy says he's from the 209, what the ................ is that?

-CC Sabathia on Dallas Braden

tell that to your boss next time you get laid off
    I don't have a contract. If I did, they wouldn't be able to lay me off without whatever compensation my contract stipulated.

Congrats to R.A. Dickey for earning the 2012 National League Cy Young Award!!

I'm not surprised he won, what surprises me is by the margin. I didn't think Kershaw would be so far behind.
    NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

Is it out of the realm of possibility that since the Wilpons will most likely have to sell this team sooner than later that they will Loria the hell out of David Wright's contract? Backload it so much that he will only make like 7M in the first year of the contract.

Signing him will keep Citi from becoming even more of a ghost town so it's a must that they do so........also it will keep Bud off of their backs

Very slim chance of this happening but something to ponder.

Oops! I pooped on your things! __starr69's Avatar

Donate a coat on December 12 at Citi Field and get a voucher for free Mets game in April.

http://on.fb.me/Yrpw1Y

NYYF Legend

i'd rather keep the coat
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Today We Spell Boss- George nyybronxbomber73's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by __starr69 View Post
    Donate a coat on December 12 at Citi Field and get a voucher for free Mets game in April.

http://on.fb.me/Yrpw1Y
    do you have to go to citi field or can you mail it in

Oops! I pooped on your things! __starr69's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nyybronxbomber73 View Post
    do you have to go to citi field or can you mail it in
    To get the tickets you have to bring the coat into Citi Field on whatever date they have it on, I think December 12. I know, very annoying, especially for those of us who don't live near Citi Field. They could at least offer it at their clubhouse shop by Times Square.

Of course, New York Cares would gladly take your coat all over NYC any day from now until December 31st.

NYYF Legend

So the Mets are asking difference-making prospects in return for Dickey as they think teams should view Dickey as a difference maker. At the same time they are not even willing to offer Dickey No.3 starter money.

Make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    So the Mets are asking difference-making prospects in return for Dickey as they think teams should view Dickey as a difference maker. At the same time they are not even willing to offer Dickey No.3 starter money.

Make sense.
    Ryan Dempster just signed for the exact same 2/26 that Dickey was asking from the Mets. That team needs to get a clue about how below market 13M is for Dickey.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

What is the Mets logic for trading the reigning Cy Young winner when he's the one bright spot they have looking forward to 2013?

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    What is the Mets logic for trading the reigning Cy Young winner when he's the one bright spot they have looking forward to 2013?
    Sell high. By the time the Mets can develop a contending team, Dickey will probably be long gone anyway. Might was well trade him while his value is high and bring in some pieces that might be able to help the team get to contending status sometime within the next decade.
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do. - Joe Walsh

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Man View Post
    Sell high. By the time the Mets can develop a contending team, Dickey will probably be long gone anyway. Might was well trade him while his value is high and bring in some pieces that might be able to help the team get to contending status sometime within the next decade.
    I agree with this....which makes the Wright extension stupid. He must be pissed.

Very good move for Toronto. Wtih Dickey and Buerhle, they have two very dependable innings eaters. That alone strengthens the pen. Alex A is clearly going for it, and I think it is precisely the right year to try. May not work, but run hard while Yanks/Sox are not in top form.
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

Wright and Dickey were entirely different situations. Wright is eight years younger. And the Mets do have some good young starting pitchers on the team now and in the system...they didn't really have much of anything in terms of position players.

I don't think Wright is that pissed/surprised. He knew even around the time he was signing his extension that Dickey was being shopped. He might be disappointed to see a great pitcher/friend go, but its not likely he was blindsided by it.

Alright, alright, alright... Big_E's Avatar
    37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/ey...deal-with-mets

Shaun Marcum has one-year deal with Mets

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

NYYF Cy Young

The Mets faced Verlander and won 11-0. Although it's a small sample size of 12 innings, Verlander has struggled against the Mets in the regular season. Verlander's worst ERA, worst WHIP, and second worst K/BB against any team are against the Mets. The Mets are the only opponent to score 14 runs in a game started by Verlander in his 232 starts.

Thread Information