+ Reply to Thread
Page 247 of 259 FirstFirst ... 147 197 237 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 257 ... LastLast
Results 6,151 to 6,175 of 6468
    R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

Re: The New York Mets Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Man View Post
    I saw them in '69.
    The Mets won the WS when I was a kid. My friends started jumping up and down. In 1970, I decided to watch some baseball. People said that blind men came to Shea to hear Tom Seaver pitch. His body motion was simply that good.

In more current news ...

Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    RA Dickey's book is now #72 on Amazon's best seller list:
    http://www.amazon.com/Wherever-Wind-...dp/0399158154/

Funny part is at the beginning of the book, he states that he's just a regular pitcher that will never win 300 games, go to the hall of fame, or lead the league in strikeouts. Well he leads the league as of last night lol
    and one day later, the book is #39 on the best seller list

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    Cleon Jones? I had to Google.
    Jones was one of the better BR/TL position players ever - not counting Rickey, who is in a class by himself.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    seriosly? I thought everyone had seen the 69 mets on classic MLB
    I vaguely remember M. Donald Grant (I think) making Jones issue a public apology for getting busted for having possession of a small quantity of pot with some woman (who wasn't his wife) in his car during the wee small hours of the morning.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    I vaguely remember M. Donald Grant (I think) making Jones issue a public apology for getting busted for having possession of a small quantity of pot with some woman (who wasn't his wife) in his car during the wee small hours of the morning.
    The white man is always trying to keep us down.

Listening to the FAN. Holy f**k, Mets fans are obnoxious and totally obsessed with the Yankees. It's ONE regular season win, you losers. You should be celebrating when your team does what it did in 1986 - back during the Reagan administration.

Whoever said that Mets fans = Sox fan, only without the knowledge of a Sox fan, was 100% on the money.

:::yawn:::

If this is their world series let them bask in the glory of it. I've said many times I have no particular issue with the Mets but their fans sure are funny.
    Please sign David Robertson and Chase Headley.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    :::yawn:::

If this is their world series let them bask in the glory of it. I've said many times I have no particular issue with the Mets but their fans sure are funny.
    The only way that they win is to become an AL team, since those are the only ones they've beaten the past few years ... at least in mid-season.

It's too bad that they were created as an NL team to alleviate the loss of two dear departed teams.

I only rejoiced when the last series was swept.

This is the same team whose "fans" will go ape-sh*t if they happen to win a game off the Yankees.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

I suppose if they are under constant worries about the Yankees being the better NY team I can see how beating them is a big deal. But as some have stated callers are talking about it like it was a world series game and it's just one out of 162. From a Yankee pov I guess it's easy to get over but I suppose letting them have their fun is fine. Although I would have liked to have seen their douche closer get beat right away after what he said. Just on principle.

NYYF Legend

Francisco is an awful closer, he's going to cost the Mets a ton of games. They should try Rauch or something

The Mets always have closer issues. It's like a hex on their team. Doesn't matter who they throw out there.

I definitely don't think of the Yankee games as the Mets "World Series"...not remotely close...there are many other teams I prefer to see the Mets beat. Losing to the Yankees is annoying b/c then we have to deal with their gloating fans, but to me beating them isn't really any better than beating other teams...though maybe its that way b/c I don't live in NY anymore.

As a kid I cared more about the Yankees...probably b/c I was a kid, and probably also because I was living in NY at the time and surrounded by Yankees fans and "fans". The ones who knew next to nothing about their "beloved" team and were incapable of having any discussion other than screaming "26 RINGZZZ, baby!!!" were especially annoying. Yankees fans constantly rubbing it in is a large part of the reason Mets fans hate the Yankees so much. The Yankees being good is also a reason people hate them....but all Yankees fans certainly aren't innocent.

As for the Mets closer issues. Frank Frank stinks, but Rauch really isn't any better. They don't really have any good option for that role right now.

As if it couldn't get much worse. I thought today we could move on and focus on the upcoming week, back in the AL. But all I hear about is how Swisher is too happy. Really? You're mad because he's happy? I can't even...

^I think its all the celebratory stuff moreso than just "being happy". Pretty much the same stuff Yankees fans would say about Reyes. Pretty hypocritical by both sides IMO.

The Mets were awful tonight...3 errors (2 three-base errors) in the same inning,

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
    ^I think its all the celebratory stuff moreso than just "being happy". Pretty much the same stuff Yankees fans would say about Reyes. Pretty hypocritical by both sides IMO.

The Mets were awful tonight...3 errors (2 three-base errors) in the same inning,
    Hypocritical by both sides? No. I've never complained about Jose Reyes having too much fun playing baseball.

No, people were bitching because after the home run, he was smiling like a little kid in the dugout and laughing. Nick Swisher enjoys playing baseball for the Yankees probably more than any player in the league enjoys their job. It's who he is. Reyes and K Rod use to throw a party on the field. Swisher is smiling and laughing.... in the dugout. Not even a comparison.

Where have Yankee fans here complained about Reyes when he was a Met?

Pretty hypocritical by both sides, and it's 90% Yankee fans in this thread and this forum?

The Mets are routinely awful. Against the 2nd place Indians, the Yanks ran away with the game. Against the lowliest team in all of baseball, the Mets got spanked with their $23M co-ace on the mound. That's pretty bad.

No, people were bitching because after the home run, he was smiling like a little kid in the dugout and laughing. Nick Swisher enjoys playing baseball for the Yankees probably more than any player in the league enjoys their job. It's who he is. Reyes and K Rod use to throw a party on the field. Swisher is smiling and laughing.... in the dugout. Not even a comparison.
    K-Rod carried over his obnoxious attitude from Anaheim. Him and his endless tribal yell after getting the 3rd out was beyond disrespecting his opponent. You'd never catch Mo doing that to anyone ... he is a Yankee, and a very dignified one at that.

Swisher is a meatball and if I had to spend an hour with him he probably would drive me nuts. But he can smile and be amped-up all he wants to if he keeps hitting. (I have my priorities)
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    Swisher is a meatball and if I had to spend an hour with him he probably would drive me nuts. But he can smile and be amped-up all he wants to if he keeps hitting. (I have my priorities)
    I think I'd have a ball with him. he seems awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee View Post
    Where have Yankee fans here complained about Reyes when he was a Met?

Pretty hypocritical by both sides, and it's 90% Yankee fans in this thread and this forum?

The Mets are routinely awful. Against the 2nd place Indians, the Yanks ran away with the game. Against the lowliest team in all of baseball, the Mets got spanked with their $23M co-ace on the mound. That's pretty bad.
    Chill, I'm not saying anything about people here. Just an observation of fans in general...plenty of Yankees fans complained about Reyes' antics but defend Swisher's. Just like plenty of Mets fans complain about Swisher's antics, but had no problem with Reyes' stuff. Fans often seem to think any kind of emotion from their guy is "just having fun" while emotion from a player on another team is "showing them up".

And wow, the Yankees are better than the Mets...and the Yankees won on the same day the Mets lost..you really got me there.

NYYF Triple Crown

Today four Mets (David Wright, Ike Davis, Daniel Murphy, and Scott Hairston) had at least 4 RBI which is the fourth time since 1918 a team has done that. The previous time was on August 22, 2007 when Texas beat Baltimore 30-3. Before today the Mets had never had three or more players with at least 4 RBI in a game. On another note, Murphy homered in consecutive innings when he had not homered since July.

Chill, I'm not saying anything about people here. Just an observation of fans in general...plenty of Yankees fans complained about Reyes' antics but defend Swisher's. Just like plenty of Mets fans complain about Swisher's antics, but had no problem with Reyes' stuff. Fans often seem to think any kind of emotion from their guy is "just having fun" while emotion from a player on another team is "showing them up".

And wow, the Yankees are better than the Mets...and the Yankees won on the same day the Mets lost..you really got me there.
    What's sad is he really thinks that he did.

Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ View Post
    Today four Mets (David Wright, Ike Davis, Daniel Murphy, and Scott Hairston) had at least 4 RBI which is the fourth time since 1918 a team has done that. The previous time was on August 22, 2007 when Texas beat Baltimore 30-3. Before today the Mets had never had three or more players with at least 4 RBI in a game. On another note, Murphy homered in consecutive innings when he had not homered since July.
    2 HRs from Murph, and Ike crosses the Mendoza line for the first time all year. Miracles really do come true

NYYF Legend

Has there ever been a game with 4 players having 5 RBIs?

Or 5 players with 5 RBIs?

Baseball is funny in that you can invent a new stat for every occurrence

Thread Information