+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 259 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 54 104 ... LastLast
    Stare Down the Barrel Mezmerize's Avatar

Re: The New York Mets Thread

Quote Originally Posted by yanksphan
    Deal fell through at the deadline.

Kevin Towers was on the radio last night here in San Diego and said he thought long and hard about this deal, but in the end stuck to his guns and refused to give up Linebrink.
    Thanks for the info! I think holding onto Linebrink gives the Pad's the best shot at the division this season. Perez is all potential and no consistency. The Dodgers did beef up, but I still see San Diego taking it down.
    [COLOR=black]You'll just say the worst of me with the hope they'll understand
    No, they know you're just a boy
    So grow up and be a man
    Little baby, kicking, you scream and whine
    Victims pay the price eventually[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman
    Perez with a good pitching coach could be one of the best pitchers in baseball. He's still young and his 2004 season was downright incredible.

He could be as good as Ben Sheets, again.
    No way. You are ignoring what happened to him and pretending this is 2004. Something happened to his arm and he had a huge lose of velocity in 2005. He used to hit 98 and work in the mid 90's. Now he is your typical high 80's touching low 90's lefty. He always threw a straight fastball, but it was effective because it was usually coming at 95 mph. These days it usually comes in around 88 which is why he was getting killed this year. He also has lost some major bite off his slider too. He is damaged goods and will go down as a one year wonder.

In a related note.. Is there a worse announcer than Gary Cohen? He used to be great on the radio but at this point he's just as bad as the Hawk in terms of homerism. A homerun in the 6th inning by the Mets makes him scream. It's quite ridiculous and almost unwatchable.

According to the New York Daily News, the Mets and Jose Reyes have agreed to terms on a four-year, $23.25 million contract extension with an option for 2011.

Reyes would have been eligible for arbitration for the first time after this season, and he would have been a free agent after 2009. This sets him for life in case he resumes having leg troubles, but he may be costing himself a fair amount of money, especially in his first two years of free agency. As a free agent at age 26, he could have received one of the biggest contracts in baseball history, even if he didn't get much better than he is now.

Reyes just got fleeced by Omar Minaya

Quote Originally Posted by ryanm1058123
    In a related note.. Is there a worse announcer than Gary Cohen? He used to be great on the radio but at this point he's just as bad as the Hawk in terms of homerism. A homerun in the 6th inning by the Mets makes him scream. It's quite ridiculous and almost unwatchable.
    Everyone kisses his ass. He's a rally-cap-wearing homer and the "It's outta heah!!!" call is lame.

Quote Originally Posted by Panamaniac42
    Everyone kisses his ass. He's a rally-cap-wearing homer and the "It's outta heah!!!" call is lame.
    yep. never knew why the guy got much respect when he's bashed players on the air before(Victor Zambrano and Matsui for one), notoriously hates the Yankees (don't know the exact comments but I heard on the radio that when Cohen left Yankee Stadium once.. he said "I hate the Yankees" and other stuff like that).. and he's a gigantic homer as shown by him and Keith Hernandez wearing actual rally caps on the AIR.

yep. never knew why the guy got much respect when he's bashed players on the air before(Victor Zambrano and Matsui for one), notoriously hates the Yankees (don't know the exact comments but I heard on the radio that when Cohen left Yankee Stadium once.. he said "I hate the Yankees" and other stuff like that).. and he's a gigantic homer as shown by him and Keith Hernandez wearing actual rally caps on the AIR.
    Yep actually his simultaneously bashed Zambrano and Willie.

I once heard someone talking about how great his HR call was. "It's out of here". How original! Well I guess he's put his own spin on it by doing it with a muppet voice.

In my opinion, he wasn't that bad on the radio. He and Howie Rose clicked well together. He didn't talk too much on the radio, either. Now he tries to be funny along with Keith Hernandez (don't get me started with him).. and he talks too much as well. In general an annoying broadcast

notoriously hates the Yankees (don't know the exact comments but I heard on the radio that when Cohen left Yankee Stadium once.. he said "I hate the Yankees" and other stuff like that)..
    There's also that game against the Pirates last year that Giambi won with a homer in the 10th inning (after a disputed call earlier in the game) that he grumbled about on his WFAN radiocast during a rundown of the MLB scores, something to the effect of "The umps handed the Yankees another one there"...

They played that clip the next day on Fatso and Fruitloops and both of them were laughing and talking about how much Cohen hates the Yankees and how it really showed that that game irritated him...

He's a bitter little prick.

Cohen is word for word the best play-by-play man in baseball.

He is a flawless guy in terms of his delivery and knowledge. Much better at radio, but he is making the adjustment to television nicely.
    MLB on FOX blackouts - NO MORE!!

Quote Originally Posted by knickfan23

He is a flawless guy in terms of his delivery and knowledge. Much better at radio, but he is making the adjustment to television nicely.
    I disagree. He's been awful on TV but he was much better on the radio.

Vin Scully says hi.

I disagree. He's been awful on TV but he was much better on the radio.
    Well then who is? Vin Scully is the greatest of all time, so I throw him out of any discussion and just take the next best guy.

Are we talking about on TV? Or we counting radio? To me, I think they are two different worlds of a broadcast to do.
    MLB on FOX blackouts - NO MORE!!

Well then who is? Vin Scully is the greatest of all time, so I throw him out of any discussion and just take the next best guy.

Are we talking about on TV? Or we counting radio? To me, I think they are two different worlds of a broadcast to do.
    With play-by-play on TV, it has more to do with just your knowledge and your delivery. It has a lot more to do with how you kill the time and how you talk during the downtime of the game, more than on the radio. Cohen does not know how to talk and interact with Keith Hernandez and makes himself look like an idiot. That is my opinion. You can do brilliant play-by-play and still be a bad announcer on TV

Will the Mets' status as the city's media darlings du jour be diminished just a little after this? You know how the beat guys and columnists hate to be given the silent treatment!
    ....Lo Duca, the usually affable catcher announced that he would not be talking to the media for the rest of the season. Lo Duca, who has had a good relationship with reporters since he arrived in New York last December, declined to give a reason for his media boycott other than to say "You'll all find out (tomorrow)."

http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/inde...720.xml&coll=1

Good to the last drop CoyoteYankee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Liquid Sky
    Will the Mets' status as the city's media darlings du jour be diminished just a little after this? You know how the beat guys and columnists hate to be given the silent treatment!
    So, do we know the reason?
    2014 - New Team, New Result

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteYankee
    So, do we know the reason?
    Strangely enough, none of the talk show hosts in NY seem to have a clue. There's not really anything new in the print media either, except for the following from the Daily News, which is pretty much more of the same. Ah, the drama!!
    NO MORE TALK: Paul Lo Duca clearly was irate about something when he told print and broadcast media that he no longer will be giving interviews this season.
    Until yesterday, Lo Duca had actually been one of the most helpful and available players in the Mets clubhouse. And he was still speaking with news media Thursday night in Miami after the loss to the Marlins. He would not, however, explain the reason he's going silent, except to say it would become obvious in a couple days.

http://www.nydailynews.com/08-05-200...p-371469c.html

Wright signs extension: 6 yr., $55M

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ion/index.html

Wright and Reyes are absolutely clueless in terms of their contracts. They could have had more money easily. And let's not say that "they want the team to win". SNY will allow the Mets to spend more money. Minaya should be GM of the year with these moves and their agents should be fired. Who signs a 6 year deal in only their 3rd year of MLB service? (Maybe it's his second.. not sure)

NYYF Legend

Evidently, the new radio guy sounds so much like Cohen and screams just as loudly when the Mets score, even Mets fans thought it was Cohen. He's equally as obnoxious and homer-ish. But most Mets fans SWEAR their radio & TV announcers are TOTALLY UNBIASED!

Wright and Reyes are absolutely clueless in terms of their contracts. They could have had more money easily. And let's not say that "they want the team to win". SNY will allow the Mets to spend more money. Minaya should be GM of the year with these moves and their agents should be fired. Who signs a 6 year deal in only their 3rd year of MLB service? (Maybe it's his second.. not sure)
    Consider this, Wright would have made 500 K next year, then maybe 3 or 4 mil the year after that, then 6 or 7 mil the year after that, then 9 or 10 mil before hitting free agency. He'll still be getting that, except he'll get a few extra mil next season.

Same for Reyes who is a year ahead of Wright and would be making similar numbers which he'll be getting in his contract.

Quote Originally Posted by SI Baseballman
    Consider this, Wright would have made 500 K next year, then maybe 3 or 4 mil the year after that, then 6 or 7 mil the year after that, then 9 or 10 mil before hitting free agency. He'll still be getting that, except he'll get a few extra mil next season.

Same for Reyes who is a year ahead of Wright and would be making similar numbers which he'll be getting in his contract.
    I still am a believer that with players like Wright and Reyes you go for your big deal once your six years are up, don't waste any time.. just sign a 3 year contract through your arb years. And then sign for big money and you know the Mets will give it to them. Reyes will get at least $11M a year and Wright would get at least $13-$14M a year once they hit free agency

NYYF Legend

His current deal calls for a $374,000 salary this season. The extension calls for a $1.5 million signing bonus and salaries of $1 million next year, $5 million in 2008, $7.5 million in 2009, $10 million in 2010, $14 million in 2011 and $15 million in 2012. There is a $1 million buyout if the Mets do not exercise a $16 million option for the 2013.
    "I have wanted to be a life long Met and this is the first step in that direction,'' Wright said.

Quote Originally Posted by thecaptain
    "I have wanted to be a life long Met and this is the first step in that direction,'' Wright said.
    Why?

------------
    [SIZE=3]NYY Triforce[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Phil Hughes[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Joba Chamberlain[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Ian Kennedy[/SIZE]

Wright could have averaged at least 12 million a year. I'm suprised why his agent did this? Wright is a gold mine.
    [SIZE=3]NYY Triforce[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Phil Hughes[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Joba Chamberlain[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Ian Kennedy[/SIZE]

Thread Information