+ Reply to Thread
Page 249 of 259 FirstFirst ... 149 199 239 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 ... LastLast
Results 6,201 to 6,225 of 6454
    NYYF Cy Young

Re: The New York Mets Thread

You just can't pencil Young in for anything but a 5 spot with his past inability to stay on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by hongchihkuo View Post
    Finally some good baseball from the Mets. Chris Young should definitely be in the rotation for the Mets in 2013.
    No room. Mets 2013 rotation should be Santana-Dickey-Niese-Harvey-Wheeler, and that's with Gee on the outside looking in. Wheeler will probably be Strasburged next season at 170 IP, with Harvey having the ability to go about 190 IP which could be the full season depending on performance and health, but that's a problem that they'll cross when they get to it. Young will be taking a walk unless the Mets decide to dump Johan's contract and go cheap. Plan C would be bringing Pelfrey back on a minor league invite since he will be out until May with TJ surgery.

NYYF Triple Crown

Mike Baxter has tied the Mets record for walks in a game of 9 innings or fewer with 4 walks assuming tonight's game doesn't go extra innings. Vince Coleman has the only 5 walk game in Mets history, and that game went 16 innings.

Edit: Baxter walked for the fifth time.

Edit again: Baxter walked against five pitchers. San Diego hasn't walked yet. I'm wondering if any player has ever walked against five pitchers in a game before and if any player has walked five times in a game that the opposing team didn't walk once in.

Great complete game effort by Dickey against Miami. Stops Reyes' hitting streak too.

NYYF Cy Young

I feel bad for the Met fans. Their ownership got involved with the wrong person and the organization is paying the price.

Although general manager Sandy Alderson publicly said last week a formal budget has not been established for next season, the Mets are likely to have a payroll comparable to the slightly more than $90 million they have committed in 2012, according to a person briefed on the current internal planning.

"They may have $10 million to $15 million max to spend -- if Sandy is lucky," the source said.

"The Mets' internal conversations have been no increase in payroll next year -- and may be another reduction, which would be a disaster," the source told ESPNNewYork.com.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...kely-change-13

Some people complain about the Steinbrenner's looking to lower the payroll to $189M to avoid luxury taxes and get a rebate on revenue sharing. The $189M will still be the biggest payroll by a pretty good margin.

My History. Your Tradition. JDPNYY's Avatar

yes, but they got a no hitter this year and that's all that's really important.
    I'm frantic... Jeter Ceremony Date - when will this be announced????

Thank goodness we now know.

NYYF Legend

The Mets have a bad ownership situation for two reasons. First is that the owners also own the television station with exclusive broadcast rights, which is where the money for the payroll should be coming from. So they can legitimately claim to be losing money on the Mets when they rake in hundreds of millions of profits on SNY (owner of this forum website). And instead of charging market rates for the broadcast rights (the Angels are getting $150M PER YEAR over the next 20 years from Fox), they charge a token amount to run the Mets into the ground and pocket all the fan's money through the back door.

But that's not the only reason the situation is bad, because the Yankees do the same thing with the YES network, except that they have the fan base that's large enough to maintain the payroll. The other reason for the Mets is that ownership is incompetent and instead of resting and treating slightly injured players, they force them out there and lose them to season ending problems. Then they go out and make token free agent signings like Jason Bay and Oliver Perez and have no money left to keep Jose Reyes (or probably David Wright). Now the fan base is in revolt and have of them won't set foot in Citi Field any more. Good times ahead

Great effort by Dickey against Miami again. Shutout!

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

How can a starting pitcher give up SEVEN earned runs w/o recording an out?

Just think ... had they scored the last 8 runs of the game--1 in the 8th and 7 in the 9th--they'd have to invent a new way to lose that ballgame.
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

-Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

RIP, Pete.

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

It gets even more hilarious:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1164695
    Mayor Bloomberg gave the woeful Metsies the back of the hand Friday before heading out to Brooklyn for the opening of the long-awaited Barclays Center.

The brushback pitch was delivered as hizzoner was hyping the Brooklyn Nets, the borough’s first pro team since the Dodgers split way back in 1957.

“The New Jersey Nets are now the Brooklyn Nets,” the mayor said, beginning his windup in a radio interview. “And the first game is going to be Brooklyn versus Manhattan if you will, or the Nets versus the Knicks. And it will be exciting and a crosstown rivalry is always good.”

Then Bloomy beaned the Mets.

“And you want both teams to be good,” he said. “It's sad that the Mets have sort of fallen apart here."

Ouch!
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

Congrats to R.A. Dickey on his 20th win!!! I can still remember how exciting it was when Frank Viola was also able to do it (for an underachieving Mets team).

i kind of feel bad for them now. i don't know what's wrong with me.
    always reasonable

need more hateroids.
    always reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    i kind of feel bad for them now. i don't know what's wrong with me.
    I forgot they existed. That happens to me a lot though.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

NYYF Legend

Yanksfanintoronto Yanksfanintoronto's Avatar

This is just a sad situation for Mets fans.
    Death, Taxes and King Eli under centre

Bring back Valentine. Collins can be re-assigned within the organization.

Just announced on WFAN, Mets come to terms with Jason Bay and buy out a negotiated balance of his contract, he is a free agent.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BRNXBMRS View Post
    Just announced on WFAN, Mets come to terms with Jason Bay and buy out a negotiated balance of his contract, he is a free agent.
    wow, Bay is being a nice guy about this. That never happens

Jason Bay and the New York Mets today announced a negotiated early expiration of his contract. The agreement provides Bay his unconditional free agency while the Mets gain roster flexibility. Terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

“Jason is a great teammate, hard worker, stand-up guy, and true gentleman,” said Mets Chief Operating Officer Jeff Wilpon. “Like Jason, we had planned for the kind of production here that he enjoyed in Boston and Pittsburgh, where he established himself as one of the game’s top players. We wish Jason and his family success and happiness in the future.”

“Jason has a tremendous work ethic. There was never any question about it,” said Mets General Manager Sandy Alderson. “Unfortunately, the results weren’t there and we are in a results-oriented business. We thank Jason for his efforts and wish him well.”

"I still feel I have plenty to give to this game and that I can play baseball at a high level. But after serious consideration, both sides agree that we would benefit from a fresh start," said Bay. "I'm grateful we were able to reach an agreement to allow that to happen. I’m excited to keep playing and have no intention of just walking away. I enjoyed my time in New York. I have no regrets in signing with the Mets, other than that I wasn’t able to play to the level that the team, the fans and I all expected and that we weren’t able to win more games. I move on with nothing but an appreciation for the organization and its fans and best wishes to all my teammates there."

“As I’ve previously said, there’s not a player who tried harder to succeed or was more frustrated and disappointed than Jason himself,” said Mets Manager Terry Collins. “I’ll miss Jason’s presence in the clubhouse as a player, teammate, and person.”

Bay was signed as a free agent by the Mets on January 5, 2010 to a four-year contract with a vesting option for a fifth year.

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    Something Arod would never do.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BRNXBMRS View Post
    Something Arod would never do.
    The union would strongly oppose giving up a lot of money -- they were the ones who kept A-Rod from going to Boston -- he was willing to give up some money then. I wonder what the financial terms of Bay's agreement were.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    Nice guy? He gets all of his money from the Mets, plus gets to sign another contract that will increase his overall income, plus he gets to not be on the Mets anymore. He's making out great in the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    The union would strongly oppose giving up a lot of money -- they were the ones who kept A-Rod from going to Boston -- he was willing to give up some money then. I wonder what the financial terms of Bay's agreement were.
    As more news came out, Bay is getting his salary but its just back loaded.

The key to this deal is how much of his 2013 salary of 16M is being deferred. Heyman and company are making it seem like a small amount but every dollar freed up for the team next season will matter given the rumors that ownership wanted to lower payroll again.

Also yeah let's not make Bay out to be a saint. He is not giving up a cent (and he shouldn't).
    “He's a clown. Guy says he's from the 209, what the ................ is that?

-CC Sabathia on Dallas Braden

Thread Information