+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 259 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 52 102 ... LastLast

Re: The New York Mets Thread

To bad they traded that Kazmir guy...

'Kick ass. Pop champagne. And get some ho's.'

Quote Originally Posted by UncleSam
    The Mets are the only team in the NL that has a chance to win the World Series.
    I beg to differ here. The Mets have some glaring holes and with Pedro not being 100% the Cardinals are the team to beat in the NL at this time.

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal Fan
    I beg to differ here. The Mets have some glaring holes and with Pedro not being 100% the Cardinals are the team to beat in the NL at this time.
    The Cards seem to have some pitching injuries (Mulder) and performance issues of their own. I think the Cards have a chance, but no more than the Mets.
    Life is good!

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

I don't think the Braves will overtake the Mets, but with the NL this year, 85-88 wins will likely get the wild card.
    Life is good!

Sorry, but your pitching is in the same state as the Mets, and the Mets offense is better this season.

You're kidding, right? Mulder is on the DL, Marquis is your #3 starter and has a near-6 ERA, your lineup has no depth (especially with Edmonds in a decline), Izzy has been very inconsistent, and your setup corps is mediocre.

This may just be my blue and orange sunglasses speaking for me, but the NL is a joke outside of the Mets.
    Not In Our House.

Quote Originally Posted by Screech
    You're kidding, right? Mulder is on the DL, Marquis is your #3 starter and has a near-6 ERA, your lineup has no depth (especially with Edmonds in a decline), Izzy has been very inconsistent, and your setup corps is mediocre.

This may just be my blue and orange sunglasses speaking for me, but the NL is a joke outside of the Mets.
    the NL is a joke, mets included

but in all seriousness, I have alot of trouble seeing any team go far into the playoffs with Billy Wagner as the closer.

Quote Originally Posted by CanoForPresident
    the NL is a joke, mets included

but in all seriousness, I have alot of trouble seeing any team go far into the playoffs with Billy Wagner as the closer.
    He's a White Benitez. That hurt us in '99, but got us to Game 1 of the WS in 2000 (where it hurt us again)

On the verge of getting swept by the Scrubbies. Ouch.
    "Long Island is New Jersey with a GED." - Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by NYDCYankee
    On the verge of getting swept by the Scrubbies. Ouch.
    Pitching staff is starting to kill the Mets. If they can't straighten it out they might need to start paying attention to the rear-view mirror.
    The Curse
    9/4/18 - 10/27/04
    Don't act like you've been there before. Act like you can't wait to go back.

The Mets have a terrible rotation and bullpen, yet they're still by far the best team in the NL..

That speaks volumes about the NL.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/met_tra...el_sherman.htm

here is a team of active players traded away by the Mets:

C: Vance Wilson (Jan. 5, 2005 to Detroit for Anderson Hernandez) - In limited usage behind Ivan Rodriguez, Wilson is hitting .300, but the Mets would definitely do this deal again.

1B: Mike Jacobs (Nov. 24, 2005 to Florida as part of the package for Carlos Delgado) - Jacobs has an OPS (.863) comparable to Delgado (.865), though this is another trade the Mets would not reverse.

2B: Jeff Kent (July 29, 1996 to Cleveland for Carlos Baerga) - You didn't think it was going to be Kaz Matsui? Kent has hit 265 HRs since leaving the Mets.

SS: Melvin Mora (July 28, 2000 to Baltimore for Mike Bordick) - In 2000, Mora was still a shortstop and part of this do-something/anything deadline deal that ultimately haunted the Mets.

3B: Ty Wigginton/Jose Bautista (July 30, 2004 to Pittsburgh for Kris Benson) - Bautista was obtained from Kansas City for Justin Huber as part of the three-team deal for Benson. In 2006, this duo has combined for 30 HRs.

LF: Jason Bay (July 31, 2002 to San Diego as part of the package for Steve Reed and Jason Middlebrook) - You know how you want your team to trade unknown minor leaguers to upgrade talent? Well, in 2002, Bay was an unknown minor leaguer. Today he a former NL Rookie of the Year (2004) and a 2005-2006 All-Star.

CF: Gary Matthews Jr. (April 3, 2002 to Baltimore for John Bale) - With his seventh MLB team, Matthews finally clicked as a first-time All-Star.

RF: Mike Cameron (Nov. 18, 2005 to San Diego for Xavier Nady) - San Diego officials will tell you Cameron (15 HRs, 17 SBs) has been the Padres' most clutch player and a defensive godsend in huge Petco Park. If you haven't noticed, Alex Escobar (once dealt for Robby Alomar) is 28 now and in his 42 ABs for the Nationals had a .429 BA and 3 HRs.

SP: Scott Kazmir (July 30, 2004 to Tampa for Victor Zambrano) - OK, 'nuf said.
    RP: Jason Isringhausen (July 31, 1999 to Oakland for Billy Taylor) - Another one of those stupid things you do at the deadline. How different might life have been if Izzy, not Armando Benitez, closed all of those years? He has 243 regular-season saves since leaving the Mets, and 11 more with a 2.36 ERA in the postseason

Ouch!

If I had to describe the color of the Met's uniform and cap, and their unform in general, I'd have to say it's "Wal-Mart vest- blue." (And just as unappealing and cheap-looking).

On the baseball side, can you imagine if Minaya worked for George? Would the payroll break a billion?

Addicted Member

Just a thought: has the National League ever been this bad? The Mets are a good, but not great team-Minaya and Willie have done a good job of instilling a winning attitude over at Shea. Barring catastrophic injuries, they should breeze into the World Series, but I doubt they will win it.

NYYF Legend

The Mets beat the Braves tonight 6-4, thus pushing the Braves even farther back. The only thing the Mets needed to do IMO was avoid a sweep, and they did just that. Pedro allowed all four runs in the first inning and settled down after that, with Wagner getting the save.

Quote Originally Posted by ToneinTO
    Barring catastrophic injuries, they should breeze into the World Series, but I doubt they will win it.
    I wouldn't say that. I think there is a decent chance that the Mets would be upset by a team like the Reds in the first round, especially if pedro's arm doesn't hold up for the whole year. They still lack a third starter and I wouldn't trust Glavine in a big game. The Reds lack pitching outside of Arroyo but can mash with the Mets- it'd be a good series.

NYYF Legend

My husband and I were discussing the Mets success this year just last night. He being a 'growing up' METS fan, in NJ..(never understood that.. why not a Yankee fan?..),,,,When the Marlins franchise 'appeared' in South Florida in 1993..he became a Marlins fan..geographically inclined?..whotevah..

The point is...had the Mets not had such a strong early season W/L record...and the Marlins with their team of 'rookies'...Is there a chance the Marlins, with their recent resurgence...can 'catch' the METS and take the Divison?.. 12.5 games out of first..

If not the Divison...WC..?..Yeah..I know it's a stretch...but anything is possible, right?

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gringaloca
    My husband and I were discussing the Mets success this year just last night. He being a 'growing up' METS fan, in NJ..(never understood that.. why not a Yankee fan?..),,,,When the Marlins franchise 'appeared' in South Florida in 1993..he became a Marlins fan..geographically inclined?..whotevah..

The point is...had the Mets not had such a strong early season W/L record...and the Marlins with their team of 'rookies'...Is there a chance the Marlins, with their recent resurgence...can 'catch' the METS and take the Divison?.. 12.5 games out of first..

If not the Divison...WC..?..Yeah..I know it's a stretch...but anything is possible, right?

Even if the Marlins don't make the playoffs, they will certainly make it interesting for those in the hunt. As of this posting they are 6 games off the wild card, tied with Colorado, with Cincy leading it. Next is Arizona (3) and San Fran (4). Both Atlanta and Houston are 6.5 games off the WC. When the games finish for the night there should be changes in the standings.

All in all I have to say I am quite proud of the work that Girardi's team has done so far this season.

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman
    The Braves can mash all they want; it won't change the fact that the Mets are the FAR superior team in literally every single way. Brian McCann isn't going to hit .350 all year and hit a homer a day, as he has recentely. The Braves simply don't have the offensive depth or the bullpen (LOL at their "closer") to win that division.

Wickman,Baez,Ray,McBridge,Sosa....watchu got to say about their bullpen now. How many trades have the great mets made to improve their team ??? 0. Jonathan kicks Omars A$$
    NYYFANS.com Fantasy Baseball: Carolina Force
    2010 & 2011 Gehrig Division Champs.

Quote Originally Posted by The FUTURE
    Wickman,Baez,Ray,McBridge,Sosa....watchu got to say about their bullpen now. How many trades have the great mets made to improve their team ??? 0. Jonathan kicks Omars A$$
    14 games buddy, and your ex-Ace will put the final nail in the coffin tomorrow afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by SI Baseballman
    14 games buddy, and your ex-Ace will put the final nail in the coffin tomorrow afternoon.
    when was tom glavine ever the braves ace? I believe that title went to Greg Maddux.

NYYF Legend

I think the Braves are still very much in this thing. They're only 15 games out with two months to go.

NYYF Legend

beltran is on fiyah
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

NYYF HOF

According to ESPN the Mets are now after Jason Schmidt. Why would SF get rid of their best pitcher when they are in the hunt in the NL West?

Thread Information