+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 259 1 2 3 4 11 51 101 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 6467
  1. #1
    Boycott BP NYDCYankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Just Foul

    The New York Mets Thread

    I decided to start a Mets thread because there have been a collection of smaller Mets threads in ATM and I think it would be best if we just had a larger thread to cover all things Mets.

    Two things about them strike me today...

    1. Pelfry looked pretty good last night.

    2. I have a feeling the Mets fans across the nation are beginning to sweat a little bit because right now the Braves are mashing.

    Ok. Go ahead, start discussing.
    "Long Island is New Jersey with a GED." - Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

  2. #2
    SI Metman SI Baseballman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Staten Island

    Re: The New York Mets Thread

    11.5 games up with an easy schedule from now to labor day does not have me sweating. The only "tough" series between now and then the Mets have is 3 in Atlanta and 3 at Shea vs the Cards.

    Otherwise, the sched includes:

    10 vs Philly
    3 @ Was
    3 @ Fla
    3 vs ChC
    6 vs Hou
    6 vs Col

  3. #3
    God Bless the Scooter NYYFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001

    Re: The New York Mets Thread

    Did you know the Mets are having one of their best seasons in years, playing great and are 19 games over .500





    And did you know the Yankees have had numerous injuries, struggling most of the year, and many have given up on them and they are also 19 games over .500...

    'Kick ass. Pop champagne. And get some ho's.'

  4. #4
    Your 2014 NY Yankees JDPNYY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Guam

    Re: The New York Mets Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NYYFAN
    Did you know the Mets are having one of their best seasons in years, playing great and are 19 games over .500





    And did you know the Yankees have had numerous injuries, struggling most of the year, and many have given up on them and they are also 19 games over .500...
    I don't think you're allowed to bring that kind of stuff up in the New York Mets Thread. Tonight we'll have Omar here explaining stuff to us.
    Pardon, for us.

  5. #5

    Re: The New York Mets Thread

    I did not think Pelfrey looked impressive. Maybe he settled down, but the first 4 innings I watched of him, he gave up a ton of hard hit balls, a couple right at fielders. He's got a great fastball that sometimes he fails to locate, but his secondary pitches are really bad. he tried throwing a curve a couple times yesterday and he bounced it at least twice

  6. #6
    NYYF Legend

    yanksphan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    nühamshä

    Re: The New York Mets Thread

    If you listen reeeeeeeeeally carefully - you can hear Braves' fans doing that native american sounding chop-call.....
    Auction League: Bitches Brew - 2006, 2007, 2008 Champs
    NYYFans.com League: Bad Apples - 2008 Champs

  7. #7

    Re: The New York Mets Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NYYFAN
    Did you know the Mets are having one of their best seasons in years, playing great and are 19 games over .500





    And did you know the Yankees have had numerous injuries, struggling most of the year, and many have given up on them and they are also 19 games over .500...
    Those Yankees that have "struggled all year" have won 9 of 10.
    Not In Our House.

  8. #8
    Good to the last drop CoyoteYankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    NJ

    Re: The New York Mets Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by SI Baseballman
    11.5 games up with an easy schedule from now to labor day does not have me sweating. The only "tough" series between now and then the Mets have is 3 in Atlanta and 3 at Shea vs the Cards.

    Otherwise, the sched includes:

    10 vs Philly
    3 @ Was
    3 @ Fla
    3 vs ChC
    6 vs Hou
    6 vs Col
    Any game in the NL not against the Braves and Cardinals is an easy schedule.
    2014 - New Team, New Result

    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

  9. #9
    NYYF Cy Young


    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    NYC

    Re: The New York Mets Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ryanm1058123
    I did not think Pelfrey looked impressive. Maybe he settled down, but the first 4 innings I watched of him, he gave up a ton of hard hit balls, a couple right at fielders. He's got a great fastball that sometimes he fails to locate, but his secondary pitches are really bad. he tried throwing a curve a couple times yesterday and he bounced it at least twice
    You're not impressed by a young pitcher on the Sox or Mets?

    There's a shocker.
    The Curse
    9/4/18 - 10/27/04
    Don't act like you've been there before. Act like you can't wait to go back.

  10. #10
    God Bless the Scooter NYYFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001

    Re: The New York Mets Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Screech
    Those Yankees that have "struggled all year" have won 9 of 10.
    I SAID most of the year...

    No wonder no one liked you on Saved by the bell...

    'Kick ass. Pop champagne. And get some ho's.'

  11. #11
    God Bless the Scooter NYYFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001

    Re: The New York Mets Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteYankee
    Any game in the NL not against the Braves and Cardinals is an easy schedule.
    If they can make it past the playoffs, the World Series will make Mets fans cry...

    'Kick ass. Pop champagne. And get some ho's.'

  12. #12
    Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Annapolis, MD

    Re: The New York Mets Thread

    F the Mets. I hope the Braves come back and take the division.

  13. #13

    Re: The New York Mets Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NYYFAN
    If they can make it past the playoffs, the World Series will make Mets fans cry...
    I know a lot has been based on the nine-game road trip vs. the AL, but...
    • Nine games is a rather small sample, no?
    • Pedro was hurt and we had Alay Soler in our rotation (ie we were conceeding those two games).
    • We took two of three from Toronto.
    • We split the season series vs. the Yanks, and would've swept the series at Shea had there not been a Wagner meltdown in the ninth.
    • The Mets, top to bottom, have an AL lineup.
    I don't think the Mets should be counted out vs. an AL team in the WS just because of those struggles vs. the AL.
    Not In Our House.

  14. #14
    NYYF Cy Young


    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    NYC

    Re: The New York Mets Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Screech
    I don't think the Mets should be counted out vs. an AL team in the WS just because of those struggles vs. the AL.
    The Mets are the only team in the NL that has a chance to win the World Series.
    The Curse
    9/4/18 - 10/27/04
    Don't act like you've been there before. Act like you can't wait to go back.

  15. #15

    Re: The New York Mets Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by UncleSam
    The Mets are the only team in the NL that has a chance to win the World Series.
    I agree. Their lineup matches up quite well against most AL lineups.

    But the real danger for them is that their current rotation is so weak right now that they are very vulnerable in a short series -- they very well may not make it to the WS if they are not able to shore up their rotation by the time the playoffs roll around.

  16. #16

    Re: The New York Mets Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by UncleSam
    You're not impressed by a young pitcher on the Sox or Mets?

    There's a shocker.
    Thanks for the snipe. I didn't really need you to troll.

    Like I said, I actually watch these games.. and I wasn't impressed with this start or his last one

  17. #17
    SI Metman SI Baseballman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Staten Island

    Re: The New York Mets Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ryanm1058123
    Thanks for the snipe. I didn't really need you to troll.

    Like I said, I actually watch these games.. and I wasn't impressed with this start or his last one
    I'll give you that one. I think the Mets rushed Pelfrey. Scouts kept saying in the minors that he had to work on his breaking stuff, but the Mets are rolling the dice on this one. Last night's start was a huge improvement over what he did in his debut.

  18. #18
    Keepin the Faith marietta_soxfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Georgia

    Re: The New York Mets Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by yanksphan
    If you listen reeeeeeeeeally carefully - you can hear Braves' fans doing that native american sounding chop-call.....
    2004 and 2007 Boston Red Sox World Series Champs!

    Marietta_soxfan = guy

  19. #19
    NYYF Legend

    WebsterMulligan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Townsend, MA

    Re: The New York Mets Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by yanksphan
    If you listen reeeeeeeeeally carefully - you can hear Braves' fans doing that native american sounding chop-call.....
    Write it down. The Braves will overtake the Mets, to win the NL East.
    “I love winning man! It’s like, better than LOSING!” ~ Ebby Calvin “Nuke” LaLoosh

  20. #20

    Re: The New York Mets Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by SI Baseballman
    I'll give you that one. I think the Mets rushed Pelfrey. Scouts kept saying in the minors that he had to work on his breaking stuff, but the Mets are rolling the dice on this one. Last night's start was a huge improvement over what he did in his debut.
    There's no doubt about it, he's got an electric fastball. If he doesn't ever develop those secondary pitches he could be a big time closer/setup man.

  21. #21

    Re: The New York Mets Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by WebsterMulligan
    Write it down. The Braves will overtake the Mets, to win the NL East.
    What do I get if you're wrong?
    Not In Our House.

  22. #22
    NYYF Legend

    yanksphan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    nühamshä

    Re: The New York Mets Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by marietta_soxfan
    See!!
    Auction League: Bitches Brew - 2006, 2007, 2008 Champs
    NYYFans.com League: Bad Apples - 2008 Champs

  23. #23
    Larry Walker's Fanclub Rocketman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Wall Street

    Re: The New York Mets Thread

    The Braves can mash all they want; it won't change the fact that the Mets are the FAR superior team in literally every single way. Brian McCann isn't going to hit .350 all year and hit a homer a day, as he has recentely. The Braves simply don't have the offensive depth or the bullpen (LOL at their "closer") to win that division.

    Remember, now, Delgado has been hitting far under his career average in terms of BA and Pedro is on the DL. Once the Mets pick up another starter (which seems like an inevitable conclusion) they'll have the rotational depth to absolutely ensure a divisional victory.

  24. #24

    Re: The New York Mets Thread

    I say Braves take the WC but the Mets' lead is safe.

  25. #25
    Boycott BP NYDCYankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Just Foul

    Re: The New York Mets Thread

    http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5...0813162&ATT=49

    The Mets have insisted for months that they won't trade their top position prospect, Class AAA outfielder Lastings Milledge. But a growing number of major-league executives believe that the Mets will indeed part with Milledge, 21, if they can get the right starting pitcher in return.

    Ideally, that pitcher would be Marlins left-hander Dontrelle Willis, but the Fish aren't biting. Besides, the Marlins would want much more than Milledge for Willis, whom they control through 2009.

    A's left-hander Barry Zito, a potential free agent, would be a more realistic target — the A's previously have indicated they would be willing to move Zito for a package of Milledge and Mets right-hander Aaron Heilman.
    Then there is Giants right-hander Jason Schmidt, another potential free agent. The Giants have made it clear that they are not interested in trading Schmidt, but perhaps they would listen if they had a chance to acquire Milledge.
    The Mets, armed with a new television network and preparing for the opening of a new ballpark in 2009, possess the resources to re-sign a Zito or Schmidt. The A's or Giants also could send back a young player to the Mets to help balance a deal. And, by making Milledge available, the Mets might create other possibilities with other clubs.
    One general manager with possible interest in Milledge says that Mets G.M. Omar Minaya has given "absolutely no indication" he will trade the outfielder. Others, however, say that Milledge triggered renewed questions about his makeup during his 24-game stint with the Mets earlier this season, prompting club officials to become more open to a trade.
    "Long Island is New Jersey with a GED." - Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts