+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    NYYF Triple Crown

AL All-Stars- Closers: ESPN's Phil Rodgers Snubs Rivera

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/column...hil&id=2481290 says:

"Closers
    AL: Jonathan Papelbon, Red Sox.... Also in the picture: Bobby Jenks, B.J. Ryan and Akinori Otsuka."

I say: Among the 11 AL closers with at least 10 saves, Rivera is third in ERA to Papelbon and Ryan, and Rivera's ERA is most of a run better than Jenks and Otsuka. I agree that Papelbon is the best, but it is inexcusable not to mention Rivera.
    I edited the comments about Papelbon out of the quote to not post the whole paragraph from the article. I put an extra letter in the author's name.

Re: AL All-Stars- Closers: ESPN's Phil Rodgers Snubs Rivera

Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ

"Closers
    AL: Jonathan Papelbon, Red Sox.... Also in the picture: Bobby Jenks, B.J. Ryan and Akinori Otsuka."

I say: Among the 11 AL closers with at least 10 saves, Rivera is third in ERA to Papelbon and Ryan, and Rivera's ERA is most of a run better than Jenks and Otsuka. I agree that Papelbon is the best, but it is inexcusable not to mention Rivera.
    This is edited to not post the whole paragraph from the article.
    :: yawn :: Who cares?

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

At this point in his career do you really think Mo cares about making the All-Star team...much less what Phil Rodgers has to say about him?

NYYF Legend

I'd rather Mo stay home and get the 3 days off then play in a meaningless exhibiton game.

Quote Originally Posted by tdel23
    I'd rather Mo stay home and get the 3 days off then play in a meaningless exhibiton game.
    You're a stranger til she whispers you can stay.
    You're a stranger til she whispers that your journey's over.

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

NYYF Triple Crown

Re: AL All-Stars- Closers: ESPN's Phil Rogers Snubs Rivera

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/sports...?event_id=2218 is even worse. They list five AL closers as choices and don't include Rivera.

Phil who?
    Fall down a rabbit hole: Joe Frank.com

NYYF Cy Young

Jenks has 18 saves for 2nd in the AL which is certainly going to draw attention. Otsuka came into the closing job later and has 7 holds to go with his 11 saves. Both guys have struck out more in less innings that Mo. And Mo's carrying a 3-3 record compared to Otsuka's 2-2 and Jenks' 2-1. I'd guess that's the big thing. 3 losses by a closer before the All Star break is a bad stat.

Which is not to say that I'm arguing them over Rivera (although I might argue Jenks over Mo) but it certainly seems defendable. Less than inexcusable.

Just wanted to add that he's 8th in the Rolaids Relief Standings in the AL...

http://www.rolaidsreliefman.com/

Papelbon and Ryan are clearly having better years than Mo. Jenks is likely as well, thoguh Otsuka has lost two games on multiple run homers. At this time, Mo doesn't deserve to be on the AS team. Not sure many care. And I'm 100% certain that every manager in the majors would love Rivera as his closer.

Devoted Member

While I'd like to have Rivera on the All-Star team just because it adds one more Yankee on the roster, I'd much rather him have those days off to get some much needed R&R.
    Proud to be on the dark side...

Released Outright

jesus guys let's not look like ridiculous homers. mo hasnt had an amazing year and there are plenty better candidates

NYYF Triple Crown

No offense, but I'd put Paps as the top closer, also. Let's not get ridiculous, now.
    [FONT=Verdana][COLOR=#000000][quote=JavyVazquezIsSick]Our rotation is dope.[/quote][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black][/COLOR][/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by 38Special
    jesus guys let's not look like ridiculous homers. mo hasnt had an amazing year and there are plenty better candidates
    LIES, ALL OF THEM

This is a direct slight against the Yankees and everything we stand for. In fact, its an attack aaginst all of us! Lets get indignant and site any and all instances of perceived anti-Yankee bias.

The guys who he put ahead of him are more deserving this season then Rivera. I mean Papelbon and Ryan both have ridicoulous ERA and Jenks has been very good as well.

Besides that is one less game that will be put on Rivera's arm this season.

NYYF Legend

i hope the game goes to extra frames and papelbon excitedly throws four shutout innings to get the win.

arm problems later that month revealed that....

(o;

Quote Originally Posted by Mattpat11
    LIES, ALL OF THEM

This is a direct slight against the Yankees and everything we stand for. In fact, its an attack aaginst all of us! Lets get indignant and site any and all instances of perceived anti-Yankee bias.

Sarcasm is so much more fun then arguing.

Quote Originally Posted by tdel23
    But didn't you know...it counts now!!!!

I totally agree with you.
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
    -- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Good to the last drop CoyoteYankee's Avatar

The All-Star selections are supposed to be made based on performance of the players THIS YEAR! If this was an all-time closer list then I would definitely consider that leaving Mo off as a "snub". This year, so far, it's justified.
    2014 - New Team, New Result

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

Mo doesn't need to waste pitches proving himself at an exhibition. He has four rings and a sub-1 postseason ERA to show the world how great he is.

Papelbon is following Gagne and Lidge as the closer who looks amazing for a time and causes sports writers to make absurd statements.
    SI: Do you have a secret ambition?
    Igawa: That's secret.

"They should just practice during the regular season and show up for the playoffs -Ichiro on the Yankees

Released Outright

I'd have more of a problem with the Cano snub for Jose Lopez. Lopez was hot for a couple of days but he's got a .315 OBP

BFD. So Mo doesnt make the AS Team this year. Doesnt mean he's not getting into Cooperstown when he's done.

I'd prefer he doesnt go and rests. The AS Game is a crock anyway.

I also perfer Mo to stay home during the All-Star break, get rest, and prepare for October.
    "Losing is not my enemy, fear of losing is my enemy." - Tennis champion Rafael Nadal

Released Outright KevinBaseball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ

"Closers

I edited the comments about Papelbon out of the quote to not post the whole paragraph from the article. I put an extra letter in the author's name.
    How dare you post about the all-star game on NYY Fans. Don't you know that some people here think its meaningless, my God man what has gotten into you, why is it that you wish injuries upon Yankees? Next thing you know you will actually be watching the game, and possibly enjoying it you animal.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinBaseball
    How dare you post about the all-star game on NYY Fans. Don't you know that some people here think its meaningless, my God man what has gotten into you, why is it that you wish injuries upon Yankees? Next thing you know you will actually be watching the game, and possibly enjoying it you animal.
    It's not about that. It's the arguement about whether or not Mo should be the starter.

Thread Information