+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    All Praises Be to Mariano destro's Avatar

Could this be Moose's 20 game year?

Based on current projections on espn's player card site for Moose, they show him winning 23 games this season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/player...e?statsId=4715

Season Stats
    SPLITGIPHRHRBBSOWLSvP/GSWHIPBAAERA
    Season1387.27330101578810100.51.00.2212.67
    Career4563100.22947132633369924782321280104.31.18.2503.61
    Last 7215.01461313200--1.13.2502.40
    Projected372472078528432222330100.51.00.2212.67
    Through June 6 - Current stats updated real-time, Career stats updated nightly.

Based on his start and current pace this could finally be the year he hits 20. He has been an amazing anchor for this rotation and has shown that he trusts what he has.

I am glad to see Moose has put it together, especially in a contract year when he knows that his future as a top of the line starter can be decided this year.

What changed? Did finally getting healthy after some elbow problems in the past make the difference? Or is it just a matter of confidence?

Either way, I am proud to say that Moose is most definitely our Staff Ace!
    [B][SIZE=1][I]"Fans don't boo nobodies..." - Reggie Jackson
    [/I][/SIZE][/B]

Re: Could this be Moose's 20 game year?

The same projections also have him losing just 3 games. I don't think that's happening. They must be prorated.
    I'll say this, 23-3 would likely get him his first Cy Young.

To get 20 he'll have to pitch similar to how he has been and not like last night. I just don't envision the Yankee offense putting up the kind of numbers it has with all the injuries.

NYYF Legend

I really want him to get 20. I want to see him in the HOF.

A 20 win season will really help, and so will reaching closer to 300 wins.

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Figuring he has 22 starts to go, he needs to win 12 of them. Very good shot.
    Life is good!

Lets Get This Dog To Hunt! 51BWilliams's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Maris
    The same projections also have him losing just 3 games. I don't think that's happening. They must be prorated.
    I'll say this, 23-3 would likely get him his first Cy Young.

To get 20 he'll have to pitch similar to how he has been and not like last night. I just don't envision the Yankee offense putting up the kind of numbers it has with all the injuries.

Yeah, 3 L's is a stretch.

I thought same, 23-3 better = Cy Young

As for his performance 6/5 agains Boston, we've got the remember that they are a pretty good hitting team, one of the elite hitting teams in the majors, and only giving up 4 to them is pretty friking good. Plus, they see Moose 3-4 times a year, they know him well, as he is a AL East lifer... I was totally impressed with his performance.
    (Disclaimer: This post not subject to the irony of statements like 'Be careful what you wish for'. I will not be bitten in the ass without prior written consent)

A better question, perhaps....

If Moose gets 20+ this year, and wins a Cy, does that end the HOF debate, and make him a lock?

I've always pulled for Mussina, so its good to see what he's done this year. Barring injury, 20 wins is not a stretch for him. Hopefully, what he's done this year will earn him a ticket back to the Yankees next year.
    "The Jerk Store called...they're running out of you"

It's funny. I never thought of Mussina as HOF caliber, but maybe I was wrong.

Phil Allard has some pretty interesting stats to suggest that he is worthy. I think he does win 20 this year.
    Die hard Yankee fan since 1974.

[URL="http://www.claybuchholzloveslaptops.blogspot.com"][/URL]

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeClemens22

If Moose gets 20+ this year, and wins a Cy, does that end the HOF debate, and make him a lock?
    Moose has come close to a bunch of milestones but never gotten them (ring, perfect game, cy, 20 wins). Right now he's a borderline HOFer who gets some serious consideration but doesn't get in.

Give him 20 wins, a Cy, a ring, 275 wins and I think he gets in on the second ballot. His reputation as fragile, intellectual and picky will work against him.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JJazz
    Moose has come close to a bunch of milestones but never gotten them (ring, perfect game, cy, 20 wins). Right now he's a borderline HOFer who gets some serious consideration but doesn't get in.

Give him 20 wins, a Cy, a ring, 275 wins and I think he gets in on the second ballot. His reputation as fragile, intellectual and picky will work against him.
    what's fragile about a horse who in his 15 full years has thrown 200+ ten times, 160+ four other times and over 100 that one injury year?

i think he's a lot closer to being a lock than folks give him credit for. who he's passed on lists such as all time win % and career ERA+ tends to support that notion..

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JJazz

I never knew being intellectual could work against anyone! lol As far as Moose possibly becoming a 20 game winner, if he stays healthy I say there's no doubt and that would be quite impressive considering the players the Yankees are getting their offense from now.
    Disco Stu:
    Nick Swisher has agreed to a $56 mil, 4 year contract with the Cleveland Indians. Good riddance!!!

teknetic
    .268/.367/.483 .850 during his four years here. Can we get rid of you instead?

Quote Originally Posted by GoRocket
    Figuring he has 22 starts to go, he needs to win 12 of them. Very good shot.
    You can also figure only 16 decisions in those 22 starts, so he'll have to go 12 and 4. Not easy.
    Let the kids play.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeClemens22

No. That would put him at 250 wins with a career era of 3.5. That's obviously a great career, especially with a CYA, but I don't think it's hall of fame. A few more good years could make the difference, but an outstanding year this year doesn't wrap it up imo.

Kill that Shutter!!! ManilaYankee's Avatar

I just hope no injuries for Moose this year so he could get 20+ wins and please, no more large leads so he can have his rhythm going... Just kidding...

Hopefully he'll get a shot at this year's All-Star games as well...

\m/(-_-)\m/

Quote Originally Posted by ManilaYankee
    I just hope no injuries for Moose this year so he could get 20+ wins and please, no more large leads so he can have his rhythm going... Just kidding...

Hopefully he'll get a shot at this year's All-Star games as well...

Well, as of right now, I think he starts the All-Star game, though Halliday is close.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mxylsplk
    No. That would put him at 250 wins with a career era of 3.5. That's obviously a great career, especially with a CYA, but I don't think it's hall of fame. A few more good years could make the difference, but an outstanding year this year doesn't wrap it up imo.
    Yep, I think 250 wins definitely leaves him short. 280 and he's got a legitimate shot. I think he should get a few extra points for pitching his entire career in the AL (with the DH) and a majority of it in a bandbox (Camden Yards).
    He seems to have re-invented himself this year so 280 wins, I don't think, is out of the question. Maybe even 300. Heck, Torre said this year he's the type of pitcher who can "pitch as long as he wants."

In today's New York Times, Murray Chass has this take on Mussina:
    Mussina simply has not been a dominant pitcher and has too often been disappointing when his team could have used a dominant pitcher.
    Last year, with Randy Johnson, the titular head of the staff, pitching inconsistently, the Yankees could have benefited had Mussina stepped up and said "follow me" or "climb on my back, boys."
    Mussina, however, won only 13 games, one of his lowest victory totals, and had a 4.41 earned run average, one of his highest E.R.A. marks."

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/06/sp...l/06chass.html

As much as I hate to admit it, that first paragraph rings true. But on the bright side, he seems primed this year for his finest season in awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by 51BWilliams
    As for his performance 6/5 agains Boston, we've got the remember that they are a pretty good hitting team, one of the elite hitting teams in the majors, and only giving up 4 to them is pretty friking good. Plus, they see Moose 3-4 times a year, they know him well, as he is a AL East lifer... I was totally impressed with his performance.
    True that. I guess I focused on the fact that it was his first "nonquality start," but you've definitely got to take into consideration who he was facing and that he DID K 8. That's impressive against that lineup.

NYYF Legend

It was nice to get Moose a win despite him not having a strong outing.

Released Outright JavyVazquezIsSick's Avatar

#27 would help his bid for the hall...

If he wants in the hall, he's going to need 3 more very good years after continuing on having a very good year this year.

I'm not saying he can't do it, but he is at this point pretty far off from being a hall of famer.

Villanova University for school, Jersey Shore for my home

I don't think he's that far away. He's been very good for a while, and if he can have 1 or 2 more years like this in a mini-resurgence of his career, he should make it.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Maris
    In today's New York Times, Murray Chass has this take on Mussina:
    Mussina simply has not been a dominant pitcher and has too often been disappointing when his team could have used a dominant pitcher.
    Last year, with Randy Johnson, the titular head of the staff, pitching inconsistently, the Yankees could have benefited had Mussina stepped up and said "follow me" or "climb on my back, boys."
    Mussina, however, won only 13 games, one of his lowest victory totals, and had a 4.41 earned run average, one of his highest E.R.A. marks."

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/06/sp...l/06chass.html

As much as I hate to admit it, that first paragraph rings true. But on the bright side, he seems primed this year for his finest season in awhile.
    Chass conveniently forgot that Mike pitched most of last year in so much pain he admitted it almost made him cry. He pitched until he couldn't stand it anymore. So it's beyond me how Chass could even think Mike didn't step up. He could have ruined his career, but he put the team above his own health. Mike has always led by example and has helped countless teammates (pitchers) with their games. For whatever reason, most of what Murray Chass has written about Mike has been very negataive, even when it was not warranted.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

Quote Originally Posted by ojo
    what's fragile about a horse who in his 15 full years has thrown 200+ ten times, 160+ four other times and over 100 that one injury year?

i think he's a lot closer to being a lock than folks give him credit for. who he's passed on lists such as all time win % and career ERA+ tends to support that notion..
    I agree with this. If he remains healthy, he will be in the neighborhood of 300 w's. His career W to L differential is 104 right now and will continue to rise over the next 2+ seasons. The ERA looks a touch high, but in the modern ERA and his entore career being in the AL east, it ain't too shabby.

What was the stat last night - he has had 10 or more wins at the all star break 9 times, or something like that. He seems to be a better 1st half pitcher. Lets hope he doesn't take any more than 1 1-0 or 2-1 losses

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by ojo

I don't think he's fraigle, but I know a lot of people who do. His routine, the illness in Japan, his 5th grader's devotion to PBJ sandwiches... none of these things earn him respect

Thread Information