+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Connecticut passes new "sportsmanship" law

http://www.wtnh.com/Global/story.asp?S=4944133

State group flags high school routs

(Hartford-AP, May 24, 2006 12:17 PM) _ The organization that oversees high school sports in Connecticut wants to avoid blowouts in football games.

Any football coach that runs up the score now runs the risk of being suspended.
    The football committee of the Connecticut Interscholastic Athletic Conference has adopted a "score management" policy designed to keep teams from winning by more than 50 points.

Life is good!

Re: Connecticut passes new "sportsmanship" law

I understand the intent and being in high school makes it different than pros or even college, but they have good intent, but the wrong approach. If a team takes a 44-0 lead into the second half and then puts all their scrubs in are they supposed to just lie down and not try? Especially when this is their opportunity to impress the coach so that when playing time is available the coach knows what kind of player the kid is?
    Life is good!

BTW, the penalty for winning by more than 50 points is the coach is suspended the following game.
    Life is good!

If they are winning 50-0 its probably not because the coach is good
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee
    Who in their right mind would pay several thousand bucks to have some chick poop on their face like a beard?

Quote Originally Posted by RhodeyYankee2638
    If they are winning 50-0 its probably not because the coach is good
    Agreed, it means either that team is real good or the other team isn't. But how are you supposed to tell the scrubs that they can't try to score unless the defense allows a TD first?
    Life is good!

OH. MY. G-D. That's horsesh*t.
    "I usually try to plan my bowel movements before I shower."
    -- fredgmuggs

Finally had to change avatars NYYRules#1's Avatar
    Bronx, NY (Home of the Yanks!)/Trumbull, CT

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980
    OH. MY. G-D. That's horsesh*t.
    It is total crap. The entire football team at my high school was b*tching about it today, saying how unfair it is.
    27-TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS

I remember a few years ago when some local CT sportswriters complained about a high school program running up the score. One of the opposing coaches (and victims of a lopsided score) said, and I'm paraphrasing... 'what was the other coach supposed to do? He put in his second and third team by halftime and they ran every play up the middle. The other coach did everything he could to keep the score down, but you can't ask the players to stop playing.'

I think you need to use a little common sense here... not every lopsided score is the result of a coach's over-zealousness.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Stare Down the Barrel Mezmerize's Avatar

But what about the kids?
    [COLOR=black]You'll just say the worst of me with the hope they'll understand
    No, they know you're just a boy
    So grow up and be a man
    Little baby, kicking, you scream and whine
    Victims pay the price eventually[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Mezmerize
    But what about the kids?
    No punishment for the kids, so if the kids really hate their coach, now they'll try to run it up!
    Life is good!

I guess the Coach would have to rest his stars and let the backups play before the score is 44-0... It's not fair to ask the backups not to try to show the coach what they can do, although I think the intent is good, just not well thought out.

My daughters travel soccer team plays with a 6 goal mercy rule, and twice so far they have gone up 5-0, and the coach (on his own) has instructed them to just play for possesion, and not shoot until it comes down to the last 5 minutes or so. His reasoning is twofold. 1) Not to embarrass the other team by ending the game early and 2) to give the both teams a chance to play a full game and work on their passing skills.

My son's baseball league has a 10 run mercy rule after the losing team has batted in the 5th inning. They have had one game so far this year that ended early due to the mercy rule, the score was 14-4, and it was approaching 10pm. I think in that instance, both teams was happy to end the game and call it a night.

So basically, right idea, wrong execution in the CIAC's new Football Rule. IMHO.
    [font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=red][font=Arial][size=2][color=#000000][size=3][color=blue][b]RIP AIDAN [/b][/color][/size][/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font]
    [b][font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=red]I HATE CANCER!!! [/color][/size][/font][/b]

Mercy rule is for wimps. 15-0 wins build character. kids are overweight cause they stop playing after 5 inning mercy rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee
    Who in their right mind would pay several thousand bucks to have some chick poop on their face like a beard?

this is the worst rule ever. high school sports arent always about sportsmanship. if you have the talent to beat teams by 50 pts or more, chances are you are grooming some kids for college and telling them to not play hard or taking them out early is no way to do that... aside from that, when you dont play the game of football as hard as you can every down, you run a big risk of getting injured.

stupid stupid rule. im glad my CT football days are over because i used to play on a team that had some huge blowout wins.
    [FONT=Verdana][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by LilChief
    I guess the Coach would have to rest his stars and let the backups play before the score is 44-0... It's not fair to ask the backups not to try to show the coach what they can do, although I think the intent is good, just not well thought out.

My daughters travel soccer team plays with a 6 goal mercy rule, and twice so far they have gone up 5-0, and the coach (on his own) has instructed them to just play for possesion, and not shoot until it comes down to the last 5 minutes or so. His reasoning is twofold. 1) Not to embarrass the other team by ending the game early and 2) to give the both teams a chance to play a full game and work on their passing skills.

My son's baseball league has a 10 run mercy rule after the losing team has batted in the 5th inning. They have had one game so far this year that ended early due to the mercy rule, the score was 14-4, and it was approaching 10pm. I think in that instance, both teams was happy to end the game and call it a night.

So basically, right idea, wrong execution in the CIAC's new Football Rule. IMHO.
    There are other ways of knowing if a team is trying to run things up (i.e. keeping the starters in all game and keep passing for example). Take baseball for instance. There is an "unwritten" rule that if you are up big you shouldn't steal or hit and run. I will agree to do that under one condition -- the other team will not try to score any runs. (case in point, the Yanks come-from-behind win over Texas last week).
    Life is good!

Mr. Know-It-All Casey at the Bat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoRocket
    There are other ways of knowing if a team is trying to run things up (i.e. keeping the starters in all game and keep passing for example). Take baseball for instance. There is an "unwritten" rule that if you are up big you shouldn't steal or hit and run. I will agree to do that under one condition -- the other team will not try to score any runs. (case in point, the Yanks come-from-behind win over Texas last week).
    Nothing pisses us off more in our adult baseball league when a team is up by ten, which means we are basically just trying to get our 7 innings in for it to be an official game under the mercy rule, and the other team is bunting guys over to third, or stealing third base. Sometimes the pitchers send a message to the batters to tell them to knock it off, sometimes they don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey at the Bat
    Nothing pisses us off more in our adult baseball league when a team is up by ten, which means we are basically just trying to get our 7 innings in for it to be an official game under the mercy rule, and the other team is bunting guys over to third, or stealing third base. Sometimes the pitchers send a message to the batters to tell them to knock it off, sometimes they don't.
    Nothing pisses me off more in my men's slow pitch softball league than when the mercy rule is used.... whether winning or losing im bummed cause i want to play all 7. lol
    [FONT=Verdana][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by brosiusbuddy
    Nothing pisses me off more in my men's slow pitch softball league than when the mercy rule is used.... whether winning or losing im bummed cause i want to play all 7. lol
    One league i was in was even worse. If we forfeited because we didn't have enough players, we had a choice... play with whatever guys we have and get our asses kicked, or not play at all and have to pay the $90 fine. If the other team didn't feel like playing us, then we had to pay the fine. Usually, we would stay and practice if we had to pay for it, and not let the other team on the field, since we paid and they didn't.

NYYF Cy Young

When I used to play football for my HS in Iowa, they had a mercy rule. Games automatically end as soon as you're winning by 50+ points. Our team was really good and we went undefeated and had three or four wins this way.

Devoted Member

When I was in highschool we had one football game where we crushed the other team even with the JV team playing. At the end of the game our coach got on the other team's bus and told them not to beat themselves up over that one game. It was early in the school's football program and they needed all the encouragment they could get. I was in band and we said nice things to the team as we passed them and so did our football team. Now I know that our coach is (he now coaches elsewhere) one of a kind, but it was not his fault (i think he may have had a seinor coaching when the score hit 50) and I would hate to see him get suspended because of something like that.
    [B][COLOR=navy]27
    Tough times don't last. Tough People do.- Joe Torre at UHa[/COLOR][/B]

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

Typical of Connecticut - bunch of whiners. My kids school (in Connecticut) wants to stop the ribbon ceremony for field days because some parents are whining that their kids don't always get ribbons and the same kids get them.

They also want to stop the 1 and 2 mile runs for Kindergarten and 1st graders since some of the parents complain that their kids are dead last in the race/and they are too young to be running that far. It's shocking really. Nothing wrong with competition and nothing wrong with losing. Both can make one stronger...........

This "sportsmanship law" must be parent driven.

Stare Down the Barrel Mezmerize's Avatar

If Connecticut keeps this kind of junk up and spend taxpayer dollars to come up with this crap, I have a feeling that "booming economy" will falter.
    [COLOR=black]You'll just say the worst of me with the hope they'll understand
    No, they know you're just a boy
    So grow up and be a man
    Little baby, kicking, you scream and whine
    Victims pay the price eventually[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers
    Typical of Connecticut - bunch of whiners. My kids school (in Connecticut) wants to stop the ribbon ceremony for field days because some parents are whining that their kids don't always get ribbons and the same kids get them.

They also want to stop the 1 and 2 mile runs for Kindergarten and 1st graders since some of the parents complain that their kids are dead last in the race/and they are too young to be running that far. It's shocking really. Nothing wrong with competition and nothing wrong with losing. Both can make one stronger...........

This "sportsmanship law" must be parent driven.
    Parents with very little sports knowledge.
    Life is good!

This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I'm okay with a mercy rule, but this is absurd. A coach is not "running up the score" if they continue to score. What they're doing is PLAYING the game.

If opposing teams are okay with this, it's even worse. If I'm playing a game or sport, I'm assuming my opponent is giving their all and I don't expect anything less. If I am not getting their best, I would be offended.
    NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

Here is another news article on the rule change.

http://www.courant.com/sports/highsc...adlines-sports

Good lord this is a stupid law. I swear, this world is getting dumber and dumber every day.

Pretty soon, we're going to end up like the people in the new Mike Judge movie Idiocracy.

Thread Information