+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hybrid View

Addicted Member

Yankees looking at Hidalgo

http://www.newsday.com/sports/printe...y-sports-print

Desperate for outfield help, the Yankees have been talking with free agent Richard Hidalgo and plan to work him out shortly at their Tampa complex. "Richard is definitely intrigued," Chris Leibel, one of Hidalgo's representatives, said Friday.

Hidalgo, 30, signed a minor-league deal with the Orioles on Feb. 26 but spent just four days in camp before leaving to tend to his ill wife. He never returned, realizing that his chances of playing every day were not good, and was released March 7.

Once regarded as a future star, former Met Hidalgo played in 88 games for the Rangers last season, hitting .221 with 16 homers and 43 RBIs. If the Yankees like what they see at the workout, they will sign Hidalgo to a minor-league contract and give him at-bats at Triple-A Columbus.
    Last edited by ring403; 05-20-06 at 09:51 AM.

Kill that Shutter!!! ManilaYankee's Avatar

Re: Yankees looking at Hidalgo

Oh no... How about KT again?
    \m/(-_-)\m/

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ManilaYankee
    Oh no... How about KT again?

KT would be my first choice, but I rather have Hidalgo than Reese.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Kluivert4Ever
    KT would be my first choice, but I rather have Hidalgo than Reese.
    doesn't Thompson have a hamstring problem now? I thought that is why he wasn't called up.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by tdel23
    doesn't Thompson have a hamstring problem now? I thought that is why he wasn't called up.
    I haven´t heard anything about that but right now I would be surprised to hear that a Yankee player is NOT injured.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Kluivert4Ever
    I haven´t heard anything about that but right now I would be surprised to hear that a Yankee player is NOT injured.
    very weird I can't find it on the online edition but it today's daily news that had a little blurb about it..."The Yanks purchased the contract of 28 year old Mitch Jones from Columbus because Clippers outfielder Kevin Thompson also currently is nursing a hamstring injury".

NYYF Legend

Good move.

Released Outright noneckwilliams's Avatar

I have no problem with them trying various FA's.

I do not want to trade for an OFer and I don't think Cash will.

Addicted Member

How good is he in the field? Better than Sheffield? I remember he put up good numbers a few years ago, but then hit all sorts of slumps after. He can probably platoon in RF/LF and bat DH if needed. He may not be the best option, but I'll take what we can get.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by RIYankeeFan
    How good is he in the field? Better than Sheffield? I remember he put up good numbers a few years ago, but then hit all sorts of slumps after. He can probably platoon in RF/LF and bat DH if needed. He may not be the best option, but I'll take what we can get.
    Dustin Mohr is probably going to be DFA'd soon (when Crisp returns), and he's much better than this year's numbers (in very limited playing time) would suggest.

NYYF Legend

So who will be this year´s "Small" but for the outfield?

Looking at his stats, other than his underwhelming BA, he hit a ton of homeruns in a limited amount of time..even with this crippled lineup, but him in the lineup and he'll drive in some RBIs hopefully..

The only thing that concerns me is that he has stated before that he doesn't want to be a fourth outfielder...when Sheff comes back he probably will be unless the Yanks push Melky to the bench...which they better not.

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Great. Now we're trying to cobble together a championship caliber team from the scrap heap. Until we can fill these holes from our own farm system, we are going to be in trouble. That will take a few years to accomplish, assuming that the organizational philosophy would ever change to allow for it, which is not something I'm putting my money on.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Addicted Member

geez... next will be Danny Tartabull? Bam Bam? Paris Hilton? Mattingly?
    "...for a while, if at all. ..." Wang is like done like burnt toast amigos.

NYYF MVP

I think there is now a move to try and rebuild the fram system as Cash seems in charge for now - don't forget the Boss is ceding move authority to Swindal as he gets older and Swindal is more of a hands off guy

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio
    Great. Now we're trying to cobble together a championship caliber team from the scrap heap. Until we can fill these holes from our own farm system, we are going to be in trouble. That will take a few years to accomplish, assuming that the organizational philosophy would ever change to allow for it, which is not something I'm putting my money on.
    What would you rather them do? Trade our best prospects for over-paid OFers? Seriously this is the route we need to go:

DL:
    Pavano
    Matsui
    Sheffield
    Crosby

Clearly banged up:
    Posada
    Damon
    Bernie
    Kevin Thompson
    Farnsworth

Hildago is only 30 (I was really surprised by that), and I liked the Terrance long signing. This team is in injury shambles and we will be lucky to be in 2nd place by the all star break unless we start taking chances on cheap players.

I really don't want to have to trade duncan, hughes, clippard or anyone else for soriano, hunter/stewart, or Abreu, and that is our only option if we don't take chances on guys like Hildago and Long.
    Future
    Betances(P)Brackman(P)Hughes(P)Heredia(P)Ramirez(P)Chamberlain(CP)Melancon(SU)
    Montero(1B)Cano(2B)Angelini(SS)Suttle(3B)
    Almonte(OF)Heathcott(OF)DeLeon(OF)Romine(C)

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Quote Originally Posted by destiNY
    What would you rather them do? Trade our best prospects for over-paid OFers?
    No, as my post indicates, that is exactly the opposite of what I'd like them to do. The reason we're even scouring the scrap heap now is because we've done all that damage to the farm system already. It's a problem, and there's no easy or fast way out.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Quote Originally Posted by cmaff05
    Looking at his stats, other than his underwhelming BA, he hit a ton of homeruns in a limited amount of time..even with this crippled lineup, but him in the lineup and he'll drive in some RBIs hopefully..

The only thing that concerns me is that he has stated before that he doesn't want to be a fourth outfielder...when Sheff comes back he probably will be unless the Yanks push Melky to the bench...which they better not.
    Honestly, I don't know how healthy damon is. After Sheff DH's for a few games I think we'll continue to see Damon DHing Melky getting some time in center b/c Damon is really hurting out there with his foot.
    Future

Backup Utility Outfielder
    241 miles south of the stadium on google maps

Quote Originally Posted by cmaff05

Well, we can sign him to plug the hole for now, and if he doesnt like his role when he comes back he is more than welcome to quit.
    Andy Pettitte starts Game 2.

Quote Originally Posted by utopiapkwy
    Well, we can sign him to plug the hole for now, and if he doesnt like his role when he comes back he is more than welcome to quit.
    Exactly. Go back to the unemployment line if you want to get picky, Richard.

Whatever you think...
    Well, you're wrong.

Kill that Shutter!!! ManilaYankee's Avatar

I didn't know that Vigo plays baseball as well...
    \m/(-_-)\m/

NYYF Legend

The guy hasn't been able to hit in the last couple of years but maybe we can catch lightning in a bottle. The one thing is that he plays fantastic defense.
    “I mean, people knew that Brown was out there, and that Randy was ornery all the time. And Pavano is whoever he is. But if you’re their manager, you can’t go out and write about them like that.

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

this is all so depressing... is it too early to drink?
    We toast to the old days and DiMaggio too,
    Billy Martin and Mantle, Whitey Ford and to you

Quote Originally Posted by hardrain
    this is all so depressing... is it too early to drink?
    Never!

I marvel in a year when this team is not devastated by injuries. It really makes me look back to 2003 and think how we really should have won it all. So frustrating.
    Future

Thread Information