+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Has there ever been a better relay player?

So many games can be won or lost on a relay throw. I am sure many of you have seen this happen. Yesterday, Teixeira tried to score but Jeter's two-hop relay to the plate nailed him. There are other players with stronger throwing arms but Jeter finds a way to be at the right place, right time and darn right ACCURATE. He seems to save our butts time and time again with his throws to home plate.

I cannot think of anyone better than him on this issue and I've been watching baseball since the year of our Lord 1956. Thank goodness I missed 1955
    "Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle." Abraham Lincoln

Re: Has there ever been a better relay player?

Everytime something big happens Jeter is always in the middle of it.

Quote Originally Posted by BRNXBMRS
    It certainly seems that way.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

captain intangibles
    Kyle

He's very good....but I don't think he's otherwordly excellent. Last night's throw was a quick release and accurate- but it wasn't "great". He short-hopped Jorge two or three times there, and a stronger throw would've saved him the beating. Not saying it was anything but a very good play- he released it amazingly quick and was on line- but I do think people go a tad overboard in some instances.

For example, Rey Ordonez was clearly better than Jeter on the relay. Jeter's fabulous....but he isn't THAT great.

He does have a terrific knack for positioning himself and getting rid of the ball.

Addicted Member

I couldn't agree more. That's why he's the Captain. Last night he said jump on my back and let's go. Most players would say get off my back because you'll hurt me and I won't get that next big payday.

He's MONEY!!! That's why I couldn't believe he was voted as overrated by his peers!! Clutch, intangibles, call it what you will. You can't measure it like HR, RBI, BA or SB, you can't put a price tag on it and you certainly can't teach it!
    [COLOR=Blue]Second place only means you're first loser. Go ANSKY!! 23-2-21-42[/COLOR]

NYYF Legend

Jeter threw that ball almost straight into the ground. He got pretty lucky.

Additionally, despite Singleton fellating him for the positioning of his feet, he caught the ball flat footed and not lined up properly, which is a relay no-no.

He's good on relays, but last night has no part of the conversation.
    Mo' Nut: One Smoove Brotha.

Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch

Additionally, despite Singleton fellating him for the positioning of his feet, he caught the ball flat footed and not lined up properly, which is a relay no-no.

He's good on relays, but last night has no part of the conversation.
    last week he made a horrible relay to arod at 3rd for an easy out.. he seems to make weak but accurate 1 (or 3) hoppers
    Kyle

NYYF Legend

cano's throws to the plate are usually pretty good... his arm strength is very underrated.
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

It wasn't a great throw. If he plays that better, which he normally does, Posada probably doesn't take the big collision.

He is normally very good on them though. One of the best was when he gunned down Timo Perez in the World Series against the Mets while on the move.

Quote Originally Posted by gold23
    He's very good....but I don't think he's otherwordly excellent. Last night's throw was a quick release and accurate- but it wasn't "great". He short-hopped Jorge two or three times there, and a stronger throw would've saved him the beating. Not saying it was anything but a very good play- he released it amazingly quick and was on line- but I do think people go a tad overboard in some instances.

For example, Rey Ordonez was clearly better than Jeter on the relay. Jeter's fabulous....but he isn't THAT great.

He does have a terrific knack for positioning himself and getting rid of the ball.
    It would have helped if Rey was in more playoff/world series games so that I could have compared their play in difficult situations. However, I am now reduced to try and find clips of a former Met. Which brings up a point, to make your statements, you seem to watch alot of Met games.
    "Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle." Abraham Lincoln

Agreed. Jeter simply has a natural ability athletically evolve his technique to each individual play. It's like he does a custom job on every situation, as opposed to other players use the same technique at every play. I see this in his hitting as well, which could be the reason he is so clutch. He knows what he has to do, and he does it.
    Jeter Jargon, Je-Je-Jeter Jargon

Kill that Shutter!!! ManilaYankee's Avatar

Great or not great on relay... Nobody could beat his patented Flip Play against Oakland...
    \m/(-_-)\m/

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch
    I wouldn't say lucky. I think Jeter knew he had a lot of time and wanted to make sure not to air mail the throw.

I think Jeter is exceptionally percetive when it comes to these types of plays. He can see a lot of things going on in an instant, judge them, and then make a play accordingly.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

Well he made another last night, nailing Mench at 2nd trying to stretch on a throw in to third from Bubba.

Quote Originally Posted by kino4
    It would have helped if Rey was in more playoff/world series games so that I could have compared their play in difficult situations. However, I am now reduced to try and find clips of a former Met. Which brings up a point, to make your statements, you seem to watch alot of Met games.
    I watch a lot of baseball games, period (helps that my business is sports), but I watched Ordonez play every day in St Paul in the early 90's after he jumped the fence to defect. Until he got lazy and banged up, he was truly an amazing defensive player.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony53
    Well he made another last night, nailing Mench at 2nd trying to stretch on a throw in to third from Bubba.
    Now that play was much better than the previous night's...excellent play to re-direct the ball towards second.

Quote Originally Posted by NYJets37
    He is normally very good on them though. One of the best was when he gunned down Timo Perez in the World Series against the Mets while on the move.
    Yep, that's the play. I still think that was a better play than the backward shuffle pass to nail the other Giambi.

Now that play was much better than the previous night's...excellent play to re-direct the ball towards second.
    Was he really out? I was at the game he looked safe. Think the ump gave that call to the Yanks b/c on Cano's boble on the double play the runner was called safe, when Cano had already stepped on the bag and dropped the ball while transferring it from glove to hand. He was out.

Was he really out? I was at the game he looked safe. Think the ump gave that call to the Yanks b/c on Cano's boble on the double play the runner was called safe, when Cano had already stepped on the bag and dropped the ball while transferring it from glove to hand. He was out.
    He was.....and I actually agreed with the transfer call. It was borderline, but the ball was in constant motion in Cano's glove- he WAS transferring it, but whether he ever had full control of the ball was questionable. He put his hand in the glove to retrieve the ball, but it was never "set" in there and he never got his hand cleanly on the ball.

The slo-mo replay on that looked like Cano never had control, even before the attempted transefer and he didn't have control the brief instant his foot was on the bag. I think the safe call was a good one.
    "This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains."

Passion For Pinstripes mrmike98's Avatar

Jeter has the best set of baseball instincts of any player I've seen. (I go back to the mid 1950's.)

The throw wasn't that strong but it was accurate.

I still marvel at the Timo Perez relay.

He was.....and I actually agreed with the transfer call. It was borderline, but the ball was in constant motion in Cano's glove- he WAS transferring it, but whether he ever had full control of the ball was questionable. He put his hand in the glove to retrieve the ball, but it was never "set" in there and he never got his hand cleanly on the ball.
    That was sort of like game 4 of the 2005 LDS where the ump nailed Cano for not stepping on the bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuke LaLoosh
    The slo-mo replay on that looked like Cano never had control, even before the attempted transefer and he didn't have control the brief instant his foot was on the bag. I think the safe call was a good one.
    i don't disagree with you but i've seen that play called an out numerous times
    Kyle

granted, the ball was thrown in the dirt. However, I do agree Jeter is an awesome relay man. It's always fun to watch him.
    Thank you, 2013-2014 New York Rangers for a great season!

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

Thread Information