+ Reply to Thread
    One of the Originals CalifYanksFan's Avatar
    I can't think of anyone right now that I am pulling more for than Jennifer Capriati. This young lady has made a miraculous turn around in her life. She's already won the Australian Open and is now on the verge of taking the French. Beating Serena Williams and then the #1 player in the world, Martina Hingis, in straight sets is phenominal. She has beaten all the top players from the Williams sisters to Lindsay Davenport now Hingis.

YOU GO GIRL!!

For you tennis fans here's an excellent story on Jennifer: http://espn.go.com/magazine/curry_20010607.html

NYYF Triple Crown

I always liked Capriati--I'm so happy to see that she has turned it all around at last!!!!

All the more so because I've never liked Hingis or the Williams sisters...
    To paraphrase Joe DiMaggio..."Every day, I thank the good lord for making me a Yankee fan"

THERE IS MORE TO BASEBALL THAN JUST NUMBERS!!!!

Devoted Member
    I'm rooting for her. She is focused on her Tennis and is not distracted by all the off the court nonsense that screwed her up before.

NYYF Cy Young

Her amazing comeback is one of the better stories of recent years.

Good for her.

NYYF Cy Young

She won!

http://espn.go.com/tennis/french01/n...9/1211705.html

PARIS -- Jennifer Capriati survived a marathon third set to beat Kim Clijsters 1-6, 6-4, 12-10 in the French Open final on Saturday and move halfway to that rarest tennis achievement -- a Grand Slam.

Capriati closed out the 1-6, 6-4, 12-10 victory with a forehand winner down the line that her opponent could not reach.

The Australian Open champion climbed up into the stands to hug her father, Stefano, after claiming the title

"I'm so happy, I can't even describe it," Capriati said.

Next up in her Grand Slam quest is Wimbledon this month, followed by the U.S. Open later in the summer.

Only three women have won the Grand Slam, with Steffi Graf the last in 1988. Capriati is the first woman to capture the year's first two majors since Monica Seles in 1992.

In the lengthy final set, fourth-seeded Capriati served for the match three times but was broken by her opponent the first two.

At 7-6, she lost serve on an error. At 10-9, she lost serve in a 16-shot rally that Clijsters ended with a forehand passing shot that bounced off the net cord.

Capriati finally closed out the error-filled match on her third try, and on her second championship point.

Clijsters, 18, was playing her first Grand Slam final.

The victory fortifies Capriati's credentials as one of the most dominant players on the women's tour and underlines a comeback from drugs and burnout that once threatened to end her career.

But now -- stronger, focused and more emotionally grounded -- she has proved she can beat the best the tour has to offer, defeating former U.S. Open champion Serena Williams and top-ranked Martina Hingis on the way to the title match.

The match was long if not artful.

Clijsters had 76 unforced errors during the match, three fewer than Capriati, who also served eight double faults.

"She just made less unforced errors than me at the end," Clijsters said.

Capriati, 25, won her first Grand slam title at the Australian Open last January. In her first Grand Slam event, she reached the semifinals at the French in 1990 at age 14. Since then, she hasn't advanced past the quarterfinals until this year.

Capriati held serve in the opening game, then quickly crumbled as Clijsters began a seven-game winning streak.

The American recovered her composure to take the second set, sending the match into a decisive third.

NYYF Legend

Looks like she gave up the cheeseburgers, lost some weight, got in shape, and WON! She had other problems, also.

Good for her!

Yay, I love it when a Williams sister gets beat!

One of the Originals CalifYanksFan's Avatar
    Originally posted by PettittesPrincess
    Yay, I love it when a Williams sister gets beat!
    Me too! Lord knows they won't play each other so it's nice when other people show them the door.

NYYF Legend

Ditto. Don't like them, their attitude, their excessive muscles, nor their bigoted nutty father.

Their dad is such a luantic. Did anyone see him after Venus won Wimbledon? So un-classy and un-dignified.

Thread Information