+ Reply to Thread
Page 261 of 343 FirstFirst ... 161 211 251 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 271 311 ... LastLast
Results 6,501 to 6,525 of 8559

Re: Interesting Baseball News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Fallacy of the predetermined outcome.
    Wouldn't the same stand true for the original statement? (if Gardner hit for power....)
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    If Gardner hit for power he'd be one of the top OFers in the game.
    Well sure, but this doesn't mean much. He doesn't and won't. If David Phelps had a 100 MPH fastball, he'd be one of the top SP's in the game.

Gardner's OBP skills, base running, defense and relative cost make him a great guy to have on this roster.

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    Wouldn't the same stand true for the original statement? (if Gardner hit for power....)
    Probably so. Hey, for all we know, if Gardner hit for power, he might be your uncle.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

All I know is if Gardner hit for more power I'd be more of a fan of his.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

MLB@MLB "I want to pitch against Boston." – Dice-K on why he signed with an AL club

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    MLB@MLB "I want to pitch against Boston." – Dice-K on why he signed with an AL club
    he must have really hated it there. watch him be in the Cy Young talks this year
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    he must have really hated it there. watch him be in the Cy Young talks this year
    Watch him get rocked out of Cleveland around the ASB (assuming he makes the roster).

it's wishful thinking. But in all reality, the Red Sox are wanting him to pitch against them, too.

NYYF Legend

Sad but absorbing story about former Yankee prospect Eric Duncan, by Chad Jennings:

http://www.lohud.com/article/2013020...ing-but-wasn-t

NYYF Legend

Be careful what you wish for, Grasshopper.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    Sad but absorbing story about former Yankee prospect Eric Duncan, by Chad Jennings:

http://www.lohud.com/article/2013020...ing-but-wasn-t
    Thanks for linking that, -tz.

NYYF Legend

I dislike Pete Rose as much as anyone but this is just ridiculous:
    http://chicagosidesports.com/pete-ro...8523#ff5c83078
    Pete Rose is baseball’s all-time hits leader, but not according to this year’s collection of Topps baseball cards.

Rose, who was declared permanently ineligible from baseball for allegedly betting on games, has had his name wiped from the back of this year’s cards.

Clay Luraschi, a spokesman for Topps, called the omission of Rose “a simple decision” but declined to elaborate. When pressed, he repeated that it was “plain and simple” that Rose’s name should not appear on cards.

snip

I purchased a few packs of the new 2013 Topps set two weeks ago and excitedly unwrapped them. As I did, I noticed something different. On the back of each card, wedged between each player’s personal information and his “Complete Major and Minor League Batting Record,” there’s a little line labeled “Career Chase.” On every card, whether the player is a living legend or a rookie, there is a sentence indicating how close that player is to reaching one of the game’s big records.

For Paul Konerko, the Career Chase line indicates that his 422 career home runs are 340 shy of Barry Bonds’ career record of 762. Konerko — who is knocking on the door of 37 years of age — has an outside chance at 500 career home runs, but he certainly won’t approach Barry Bonds’ record. The Career Chase line isn’t meant to suggest he’s closing in, but it helps put his accomplishments in perspective.

Another example, courtesy of Topps: John Danks has 57 career wins, which puts him 454 behind career leader Cy Young.

OK, I get it.

But then I flip the card Starlin Castro, whose solid start as the shortstop for the Cubs has him sitting at 529 hits, which is—as Career Chase points out—a mere 3,727 away from the all-time record of 4,256 held by…. Wait a second. Topps doesn’t say who holds the record. Every other record has a name attached, but not where the hits record is concerned.

I thought maybe it was an accident. I checked another a card. On A.J. Pierzynski’s card, I learn that he’s 2,611 hits away from the all time leader. Again, there’s no name listed.
    There are photos of the card backs at the site I linked.

He's been banned from baseball but the record is the record. This is just stupid on Topps' part.

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    You're becoming a parody of yourself. How is Gardner overrated, period? No one is putting him near Trout/McCutcheon/Harper/Jones territory. But on a 1/$2.85MM deal I'd take him in a heartbeat over Bourne/BJ Upton types considering their contracts.

Also, you might have slept through it, but he played in >300 games in '10 and '11.

Lastly, I think he can improve both at the plate and on the bases and his glove is unquestionably elite.

If anything, he's HIGHLY underrated simply because of his lack of slugging.
    If I knew no better and only used this forum as my source I might (big if) believe Gardner is an elite player. However, he's not regardless of your endless promotion of him.

Contracts aside, he offers more than BJU and about the same as Bourne. That said, the Yanks have him planted in LF where his value is diminished. Don't blame me for pointing that out, blame Joe & Mr. PJ's.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

Quote Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
    If I knew no better and only used this forum as my source I might (big if) believe Gardner is an elite player. However, he's not regardless of your endless promotion of him.

Contracts aside, he offers more than BJU and about the same as Bourne. That said, the Yanks have him planted in LF where his value is diminished. Don't blame me for pointing that out, blame Joe & Mr. PJ's.
    Slow down, pay attention to the words, the punctuation, etc. I said he wasn't in the elite tier. He is elite defensively, and I'd love to see you try and disprove that - regardless of position.

When you make statements these or like "he can't stay on the field" after the two prior seasons making 150 or more appearances you might want to consider paying a bit more attention to what is going on.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 35Knucklecurve View Post
    Be careful what you wish for, Grasshopper.
    IDK looking at that lineup I think I'd want to face then too.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF MVP

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-bi...GlvbnM-;_ylv=3

Well, you're still the best pitcher on the planet so you got that going for ya.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Eldee5 View Post
    I dislike Pete Rose as much as anyone but this is just ridiculous:
    http://chicagosidesports.com/pete-ro...8523#ff5c83078

There are photos of the card backs at the site I linked.

He's been banned from baseball but the record is the record. This is just stupid on Topps' part.
    Oh geez, that the hell were they thinking.....or wait, they weren't. I wonder if they'll also not mention A-Rod or Pettitte or anybody else who actually admitted to using PED's. Betting on baseball was wrong, but it did not make it any easier for him to collect over 4,000 hits.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

Oh geez, that the hell were they thinking.....or wait, they weren't. I wonder if they'll also not mention A-Rod or Pettitte or anybody else who actually admitted to using PED's. Betting on baseball was wrong, but it did not make it any easier for him to collect over 4,000 hits.
    Is it Topps or is it MLB though?

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sports...,1383257.story

Topps spokesman Clay Luraschi told Harris it was a "simple decision" to leave Rose's name off the back of the cards but did not elaborate. When pressed, Luraschi just repeated that it was "plain and simple."

He does have a point. Topps owns the exclusive rights to produce MLB-licensed trading cards -- and anyone on the permanently ineligible list is not allowed to be included on any of the league's licensed products.
    All hail King Bud.

I'm getting tired of people talking about Gardner like he's some chronically injured health risk.

In 2009 he fractured a thumb diving into second base. Last year was an elbow injury making a diving catch. And it seems like the team might be more to blame for him missing so much time with the stop/start rehab before finally deciding on a relatively minor surgery in August that had him back by late September. If they'd went with surgery over rehab initially he would have been back by June.

These aren't chronic ailments, they were two freak injuries that could happen to any player.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

I had the same thought. I know Bonds wasn't sanctioned at all but, still, you can argue about the validity of his record, which you can't do for Rose. Keeping him out of the HOF is one thing, but he is the all-time hits leader, and Topps shouldn't be making that kind of judgement.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Slow down, pay attention to the words, the punctuation, etc. I said he wasn't in the elite tier. He is elite defensively, and I'd love to see you try and disprove that - regardless of position.

When you make statements these or like "he can't stay on the field" after the two prior seasons making 150 or more appearances you might want to consider paying a bit more attention to what is going on.
    204 or so days (1.25 seasons) on the DL in 4+ years isn't close to being durable or even reliable.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

Quote Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
    204 or so days (1.25 seasons) on the DL in 4+ years isn't close to being durable or even reliable.
    You can't be serious.

He injured his elbow last year diving for a ball. If anything, the team probably mishandled/misdiagnosed the issues, as he had three start/stop rehab program botched before going under the knife to remove a bone chip in the elbow.

Once again, the two seasons prior to that he played in 150 games.

Travis Hafner is a guy that "can't stay on the field." Brett Gardner has not proven to be that type of player, and it's disingenuous at best (downright dumb at worst) to paint him with that brush. But hey, it fits your narrative. Were you one of the posters that thought Gardner was (is?) a 4OF for a bad team?

Orioles Sign Jair Jurrjens

Orioles Sign Jair Jurrjens
    They signed him to an mL deal a little bit ago, didn't they?

I dunno. A bunch of baseball writers tweeted it last night.

Thread Information