+ Reply to Thread
Page 252 of 343 FirstFirst ... 152 202 242 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 262 302 ... LastLast
Results 6,276 to 6,300 of 8568

Re: Interesting Baseball News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

An especially bad deal considering the first one was extremely team friendly. He'll be 37 @ the end of the deal- not too bad considering some of the recent long term deals. Rays take on the injury risk and hard to feel too bad for Evan as he does get to pocket an additional $100M

Worse case scenario for the Rays- he turns into JD Drew- productive player who was plagued by injuries
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    "Dodgers, Fox Sports talking $6-billion TV deal

The Dodgers’ deal, proposed for 25 years, would average $240 million per year at $6 billion, or $280 million per year at $7 billion.
    "

http://www.latimes.com/sports/dodger...tory?track=rss

Wow
    Yep, and that should tell you a little about what the Yankees TV rights really are worth compared to the token $85 million / year the Steinbrenner-owned YES network is currently paying the team. The Yankees payroll should be 50% higher but the boys would rather pocket that money

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    Yep, and that should tell you a little about what the Yankees TV rights really are worth compared to the token $85 million / year the Steinbrenner-owned YES network is currently paying the team. The Yankees payroll should be 50% higher but the boys would rather pocket that money
    Yep, sorta puts the drive to get below #189M in perspective

Do you blame them? Why should they give those monies to revenue sharing.
    Okay Hal and Brian, I might be a sucker, but you got 3 more years to fix it!

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    An especially bad deal considering the first one was extremely team friendly. He'll be 37 @ the end of the deal- not too bad considering some of the recent long term deals. Rays take on the injury risk and hard to feel too bad for Evan as he does get to pocket an additional $100M

Worse case scenario for the Rays- he turns into JD Drew- productive player who was plagued by injuries
    The team probably realized they screwed him on that first deal.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Do you blame them? Why should they give those monies to revenue sharing.
    No but they should be spending more and taking the loss on the baseball operations side while making it up on the TV network side. George would have put winning first

No but they should be spending more and taking the loss on the baseball operations side while making it up on the TV network side. George would have put winning first
    As a Yankee fan I would agree with you, but as a businessman, I don't have enough internal financial information to judge their actions.

Quote Originally Posted by eaganmafia View Post
    Longoria extended 6 years and a 100 million.

Don't really understand why now, but ok.
    That's a long time for someone who's always hurt.
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
    -- Neil deGrasse Tyson

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    That's a long time for someone who's always hurt.
    Always? He missed about half of this year and he missed some time in 2011 (but I think that was a fluke HBP no?)

Seems like a good deal for the Rays assuming he stays reasonably healthy over the deal. I mean he's 26, has a career OPS+ of 137 and has never been below 127 which was his rookie year. And should be entering his power prime. Add that he plays GG caliber defense and will only be 36 when the deal ends, seems like a reasonable risk to me.

If you are going to lock anyone up to 10 years, he seems like just the type of player to do so with.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Always? He missed about half of this year and he missed some time in 2011 (but I think that was a fluke HBP no?)
    He missed a month in 2011 with a strained oblique. I don't see any reason to think he's particularly fragile.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Grantland's Jonah Keri has a nice in depth look at trade values up this week.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...aseball-part-1

Welcome to the first edition of Grantland's MLB Trade Value Rankings. The premise of this column is simple: If every team declared every player in baseball available to be traded, who would fetch the biggest return? The execution is trickier. Baseball's service-time rules play a huge role in determining trade value, given that players come cheapest in the first six years of their major league careers, and players most often peak in their mid-to-late 20s — often just before they become eligible for free agency. Still, bang for the buck isn't the only factor considered when ranking players here. An exorbitantly paid superstar might not attract much interest from lower-revenue clubs like the A's and Pirates. But one über-rich buyer can be enough to dramatically alter a player's trade value. The Dodgers raided their farm system and absorbed the hideous contracts of Carl Crawford and Josh Beckett, all for the privilege of paying Adrian Gonzalez $135 million for what may well turn out to be six-plus years of decline. That move reminded us that certain teams will spend big to try to win a World Series, without regard for any mythical marginal-dollars-per-marginal-win championship. So, given the likelihood that at least one team would pay through the nose to land a well-paid star player, you'll see a few nine-figure contracts spliced in with various underpaid, 20-something stars (see the sidebar for a full list of Trade Value rules).

Yankee Fan in Gator Nation Pasco08's Avatar

On the Longoria extension IMHO That is a steal of a deal for the Rays And Longoria is there franchise player. Sure he was hurt but when he came back he picked up where he left off and about got them to another playoff birth. Great deal all around too bad i would of liked to seen him in pinstripes.

Quote Originally Posted by Pasco08 View Post
    On the Longoria extension IMHO That is a steal of a deal for the Rays And Longoria is there franchise player. Sure he was hurt but when he came back he picked up where he left off and about got them to another playoff birth. Great deal all around too bad i would of liked to seen him in pinstripes.
    Why? You're obviously a Rays fan and have been since you showed up here.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    Why? You're obviously a Rays fan and have been since you showed up here.
    Where is a roll of the eye emocon or a facepalm. I knew i had you blocked for a reason....

Quote Originally Posted by Pasco08 View Post
    Where is a roll of the eye emocon or a facepalm. I knew i had you blocked for a reason....
    Unless you finally figured out how blocking works, tell me you're not a Rays fan.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    Unless you finally figured out how blocking works, tell me you're not a Rays fan.

Too bad you are so stupid. And i am not.

You're not fooling anyone.

Go be a Rays fan somewhere else.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

NYYF Legend

Alright you two enough with the name calling.

Well this took all of five seconds on Google. Note the dates, the lowercase 'i' and the capitalization of 'fan'. Not to mention spelling skills that would make a second grader cringe:

But this isn't you, right Pasco? Or you were lying to the Marlins fans-- is that it?
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

You're a stranger til she whispers you can stay.
    You're a stranger til she whispers that your journey's over.

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    Alright you two enough with the name calling.
    I didn't call him any names. Unless you meant 'Rays fan'.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

like delv, but better

NYYF Legend

help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

"Marvin Miller Dies
    By Ben Nicholson-Smith [November 27 at 8:48am CST]
    Marvin Miller, the first executive director of the MLB Players Association, died this morning at the age of 95, Yahoo's Jeff Passan reports (on Twitter). Condolences to Miller's family and the MLBPA.

Miller led the MLBPA from its inception in 1966 until 1982. Under Miller the MLBPA worked to overturn baseball's reserve clause in a decision that led to free agency. The association also obtained many other rights for players, including the right to salary arbitration.
    "

MLBTR

He should be in the HOF

Thread Information