+ Reply to Thread
Page 230 of 336 FirstFirst ... 130 180 220 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 240 280 330 ... LastLast
Results 5,726 to 5,750 of 8388
    NYYF Legend

Re: Interesting Baseball News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

Reggie only played for the O's one year, but one of his teammates probably got him back the best. In Jim Palmer's book which, included some pretty funny stuff about his love/hate relationship with Earl Weaver, Palmer described one incident that is vintage Reggie. During a flight back to Baltimore, where Reggie was seated in the back with his "entourage" of media, lapping up his every word, Weaver quietly reminded him that when the team traveled, they were to wear a shirt and tie. After he left, Reggie said, "Can you believe that? I've got my $175 Gucci shoes, $30 Gucci belt, $50 Gucci shirt and $75 Gucci pants, as he thinks I don't look good?!" Well, the next day, one of his teammates (whose name escapes me right now), boarded the team bus with pricetags hanging off of everything he had on. "I've got my $10 JC Penney shirt, $20 JC Penney pants, $15 JC Penny shoes and $5 JC Penney belt - don't I look good?!"
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    Back in the day 500 HRs was pretty much a guaranteed selection.
    Not even "pretty much. he was 6th in career HR when he retired, and stayed there until McGwire passed him in 2001.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by 35Knucklecurve View Post
    Reggie only played for the O's one year, but one of his teammates probably got him back the best. In Jim Palmer's book which, included some pretty funny stuff about his love/hate relationship with Earl Weaver, Palmer described one incident that is vintage Reggie. During a flight back to Baltimore, where Reggie was seated in the back with his "entourage" of media, lapping up his every word, Weaver quietly reminded him that when the team traveled, they were to wear a shirt and tie. After he left, Reggie said, "Can you believe that? I've got my $175 Gucci shoes, $30 Gucci belt, $50 Gucci shirt and $75 Gucci pants, as he thinks I don't look good?!" Well, the next day, one of his teammates (whose name escapes me right now), boarded the team bus with pricetags hanging off of everything he had on. "I've got my $10 JC Penney shirt, $20 JC Penney pants, $15 JC Penny shoes and $5 JC Penney belt - don't I look good?!"
    Mickey Rivers was merciless with Reggie. My favorite line was when Reggie was bragging about having an IQ of 160, and Rivers asked, "Out of what, a thousand?"
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Mickey Rivers was merciless with Reggie. My favorite line was when Reggie was bragging about having an IQ of 160, and Rivers asked, "Out of what, a thousand?"
    I remember that quote.

I'm not a Lupica fan but back when he was somewhat tolerable, he had this to say about Reggie which I thought was funny:

The other day Reggie Jackson called Bonds arrogant. It is like the Pacific calling the Atlantic deep.

NYYF Legend

Apparently, the FO has had enough of Mr. October for now.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...ts-sources-say
    After Reggie Jackson's disparaging comments about Alex Rodriguez and others last week, he was essentially benched by the Yankees and told to stay away from team events indefinitely, according to AL sources.

Jackson was not in Boston over the weekend, where the Yankees played the Red Sox. Jackson, a special adviser for the Yankees, usually is around the team.

But at this time, there is enough anger at the Hall of Famer from within the organization that the team has decided that he should keep his distance until otherwise determined.
    [snip
    Rodriguez and Jackson have been friends for years, which caused the third baseman to joke about the comments.

"With friends like that, who needs enemies," Rodriguez said.
    I think the Yankees could do a lot better if they want a special "adviser". Reggie's first advice should be to himself to STFU.

He's right about Puckett and Rice, though. Neither belongs in the HOF.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Apparently, the FO has had enough of Mr. October for now.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...ts-sources-say

I think the Yankees could do a lot better if they want a special "adviser". Reggie's first advice should be to himself to STFU.
    I have no problem with what he said about the current generation of players and accusations...but he should have said it about McGwire/Bonds/Palmero and not about a Yankee.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    I have no problem with what he said about the current generation of players and accusations...but he should have said it about McGwire/Bonds/Palmero and not about a Yankee.
    Who would have listened if he had said it about McGwire/Bonds/Palmero? He gets his name in print if "Rodriguez" comes out his mouth.

NYYF Legend

so, he was told to stay away for a week basically...

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...yankees-friday

It was just a mutual thing where it was best," Jackson said. "The clubhouse is a very small place (in Boston), and all the media was there. I didn't want to be a disruption."
    a - I'm sure it wasn't mutual and b- I'm sure he wouldn't mind being a disruption...he never does.

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

Good article about the great job Davy Johnson is doing with his pitchers:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...0dW_story.html
    We toast to the old days and DiMaggio too,
    Billy Martin and Mantle, Whitey Ford and to you

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
    Good article about the great job Davy Johnson is doing with his pitchers:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...0dW_story.html
    The biggest mistake Angelos made was pissing Johnson off to the point that he resigned after the 1997 season ended. I don't think it's a coincidence that the O's fell off the map starting in 1998. He's not only very knowledgable about the game, he understands what makes each player tick, which buttons to push and when to push them. It's not a coincidence that the Nats went from the cellar to 1st place in the NL East either. It'll be interesting to see how they continue to handle Strasburg's innings if the Nats are still in contention moving into late August.

NYYF Legend

I'm starting to think that the whole Reggie situation needs its own thread.
    Anyway, it's not only the Yankees that Reggie has ticked off, but fellow HOFers too:
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.1112442
    Meanwhile, Hall of Famer Tom Seaver took umbrage at another of Jackson’s comments to SI, saying he thinks Mr. October was talking crazy when he questioned the Hall of Fame credentials of the late Gary Carter and several others.

Speaking at the Triple-A All-Star luncheon in Buffalo, Tom Terrific said he felt Jackson wasn’t exhibiting reason when he made his comments about The Kid.

“Reggie is Reggie and I like Reggie but Reggie sometimes turns the logical part of his brain off,” Seaver said, according to The Buffalo News. “And Reggie loves to talk. It just didn’t make very much sense to me.”

Jackson told the magazine that he thinks there are undeserving members in the Hall of Fame and he wants to bring the issue to light.

Jackson said Carter, along with Kirby Puckett, Don Sutton, Phil Niekro, Jim Rice and Bert Blyleven shouldn’t have been enshrined in Cooperstown.

Carter, 57, died on Feb. 16 after a long battle with brain cancer. He was elected to the Hall of Fame in 2003.

The 2012 Hall of Fame induction ceremonies are set for July 22. Seaver expects Jackson to be remorseful when he meets with his fellow Hall of Famers, although Mr. October may not receive their support.

“It will be interesting to see, won’t it?” Seaver said when asked what kind of reception he thinks Jackson will get in Cooperstown. “Reggie will apologize. He’s very diplomatic. The other part of it is he believes very strongly about the institution.”
    at the part I put in bold.
    Have fun in Cooperstown next weekend Reggie.

NYYF Legend

And just after typing the post above, I found this from earlier today:
    http://www.yesnetwork.com/news/artic...1064&oid=36019
    New York Yankees special advisor Reggie Jackson released a statement through the team regarding recent comments made to Sports Illustrated:
    "In trying to convey my feelings about a few issues that I am passionate about, I made the mistake of naming some specific players."

"This was inappropriate and unfair to those players, some of which are very close friends of mine. I think there are ways to speak from the heart without hurting people, and I’m disappointed that I didn’t take greater care in expressing my views.

“I have been proactively reaching out to make personal apologies to those within the Hall of Fame community that I offended, and to the Yankees organization for any disruption that I caused in the clubhouse. I continue to have a strong relationship with the club, and look forward to continuing in my role with the team. As always, I remain dedicated to the great game of baseball."
    Reggie needs a bigger shovel to dig himself out of the hole he created.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Eldee5 View Post

The only thing he remains dedicated to is the great name of Reggie Jackson.

Apparently Justin Verlander is dating Kate Upton and is supplying her with booze.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Eldee5 View Post

I was never a huge Reggie Jackson fan, but I don't understand why he has to apologize and why in general this has become such a big story. A reporter asked him a question and he gave an honest answer. If a Hall of Famer isn't allowed to give a genuine opinion about the Hall of Fame then why even bother asking the question? If anything, it may have in been poor taste to mention Gary Carter since he just recently passed away, but otherwise I don't see the problem here even if I don't agree 100% with all of his comments. Frankly, he's not saying anything that most fans and sportswriters haven't said or thought when asked about the topic of PEDs and the HOF. Why is he not allowed to give an authentic answer when asked the same question?
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Why is he not allowed to give an authentic answer when asked the same question?
    Because he's a paid employee of the organazation of the player he is criticizing and wants to keep cashing a paycheck.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

Jackson told the magazine that he thinks there are undeserving members in the Hall of Fame and he wants to bring the issue to light.
    Bring it to light for what? Un-enshrine them? Does he think he's the first person to disagree with some of the voters? There have always been players who are not exactly slam dunks in the HOF and there always will be. Just because he thinks Rice, Niekro, Sutton or any of the others he mentioned are not HOF worthy doesn't mean it is so. That's just an example of his inflated ego at work, IMO.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    Apparently Justin Verlander is dating Kate Upton and is supplying her with booze.

What is so interesting about this?

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    What is so interesting about this?
    I think she's 19 or 20......
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post

Then arrest me. I served my wife when she was underaged. This country is so backward.

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    Then arrest me. I served my wife when she was underaged. This country is so backward.
    That's actually how I met my wife.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Triple Crown

Arizona's John McDonald is hitting better than he usually does and has 4 intentional walks this season after having none in 2,270 plate appearances before 2012. The title of most career plate appearances by an active player who has never been intentionally walked, which was previously held by McDonald, now belongs to Elvis Andrus with 2,268 plate appearances.

Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ View Post
    Arizona's John McDonald is hitting better than he usually does and has 4 intentional walks this season after having none in 2,270 plate appearances before 2012. The title of most career plate appearances by an active player who has never been intentionally walked, which was previously held by McDonald, now belongs to Elvis Andrus with 2,268 plate appearances.
    There seem to be no stats on IBBs before 1955. Since then, the career record is held by Yankee-killer Gary DiSarcina, who had 0 IBB in 4032 PA. It will be a tough record to break, considering that second place belongs to Wayne Tolleson with a mere 2614 PA.
    - Barry Manilow

Thread Information