+ Reply to Thread
Page 229 of 313 FirstFirst ... 129 179 219 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 239 279 ... LastLast
Results 5,701 to 5,725 of 7811
  1. #5701
    NYYF Legend

    GordonGecko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New York City

    Re: Interesting Baseball News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

    Here's a strange stat for you at the All Star break: out of 14 teams in the American League, only 3 are below .500 (MIN, KC, SEA)

  2. #5702
    NYYF Legend

    35Knucklecurve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Maryland branches, Pennsylvania roots

    Re: Interesting Baseball News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    The more I hear about what Reggie said recently the more I think he is an asshat. You know for all the Yankee status he has it only runs so far when you had a long career and only 5 were spent with the Yankees. I know the guy is an arrogant sh!t but grow up dude.
    I missed it - what'd he say?
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

  3. #5703
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    lil'rhody

    Re: Interesting Baseball News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by 35Knucklecurve View Post
    I missed it - what'd he say?
    He basically said that A-Rod's entire career is tainted and if he or anybody attached to the steroid era gets in the HOF he and the rest of the living HOFers will boycott.

  4. #5704

    Re: Interesting Baseball News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

  5. #5705
    Bazinga Hitman23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Long Island

    Re: Interesting Baseball News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by 35Knucklecurve View Post
    I missed it - what'd he say?
    Well he called out A-Rod (who he claims to be friends with) and Gary Carter. Among many other players currently in the hall.

    ďI didnít see Kirby Puckett as a Hall of Famer,Ē Jackson told SI. ďI didnít see Gary Carter as a Hall of Famer. I didnít see Don Sutton as a Hall of Famer. I didnít see Phil Niekro as a Hall of Famer. As much as I like Jim Rice, Iím not so sure heís a Hall of Famer.Ē
    http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/07/...er-a-disgrace/
    NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

  6. #5706
    NYYF Legend

    GordonGecko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New York City

    Re: Interesting Baseball News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    more info:
    http://minnesota.publicradio.org/col...care_for.shtml

  7. #5707

    Re: Interesting Baseball News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    When Phil Rizzuto was in the minors, the centerfielder was struck and killed during a game and everyone on the field was knocked down. It's why he always left during a storm.

    At least that's the story I remember-- someone else may remember it differently.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

  8. #5708
    NYYF Legend

    b-ball-lunachick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    New Jersey

    Re: Interesting Baseball News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    He basically said that A-Rod's entire career is tainted and if he or anybody attached to the steroid era gets in the HOF he and the rest of the living HOFers will boycott.
    yes and then talked out of the other side of his butt by saying he doesn't hold Pettitte to the same standard. His comments were ridiculous..I really thought Jackson had wisened up a bit in the last several years but he's still an idiot. It was just so unnecessary.

  9. #5709
    NYYF Legend

    b-ball-lunachick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    New Jersey

    Re: Interesting Baseball News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    When Phil Rizzuto was in the minors, the centerfielder was struck and killed during a game and everyone on the field was knocked down. It's why he always left during a storm.

    At least that's the story I remember-- someone else may remember it differently.
    I don't remember that..yikes. The rest of the times he left early were to get his cannolis over the GWB before the traffic. I really did love the Scooter but can you imagine that happening now?

  10. #5710
    Ca$h gregzzy22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn

    Re: Interesting Baseball News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

    Jesus, Reggie Jackson is such a tool. I've never watched him play nor taken a long look at his stats but he was not THAT great of a player to call out other HOF'ers. Even if he was he has no right to say what he said. The ARod stuff was unnecessary too as truthful as it may be. Yeah we know he'll never be looked at the same way Reggie. But as someone who ARod has called his "press secretary" what drug was he on to make those comments. At first I thought keep him away till playoff time, now I say till next opening day. MAYBE he'll learn his lesson by then.
    Twenty Seven and Counting.

  11. #5711

    Re: Interesting Baseball News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

    Buster Onley tweets that Reggie has been "placed in the penalty box" by the Yanks, and told to stay away from the team until further notice.

    ETA - espn link

    http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...medium=twitter

  12. #5712
    NYYF Legend

    GordonGecko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New York City

    Re: Interesting Baseball News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by gregzzy22 View Post
    Jesus, Reggie Jackson is such a tool. I've never watched him play nor taken a long look at his stats but he was not THAT great of a player to call out other HOF'ers. Even if he was he has no right to say what he said. The ARod stuff was unnecessary too as truthful as it may be. Yeah we know he'll never be looked at the same way Reggie. But as someone who ARod has called his "press secretary" what drug was he on to make those comments. At first I thought keep him away till playoff time, now I say till next opening day. MAYBE he'll learn his lesson by then.
    Not to mention that calling out Gary Carter after he just died of debilitating brain cancer leaving behind a grieving family isn't exactly the classiest move

  13. #5713

    Re: Interesting Baseball News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    Not to mention that calling out Gary Carter after he just died of debilitating brain cancer leaving behind a grieving family isn't exactly the classiest move
    I'm not sure that Reggie's ever done anything that would be considered classy. The guy's a first-rate clown. (and I still can't believe the Yanks retired his number)

  14. #5714
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: Interesting Baseball News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by pleasepassthesoup View Post
    I'm not sure that Reggie's ever done anything that would be considered classy. The guy's a first-rate clown. (and I still can't believe the Yanks retired his number)
    I miss the Reggie Bar, that was pretty good.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  15. #5715

    Re: Interesting Baseball News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

    George Brett just called Bo Jackson an "a**hole" (uncensored) on the MLB network live broadcast from the all star game, for an incident where Bo did donuts on his lawn.
    Yes, I'm a girl.

  16. #5716
    NYYF Legend

    b-ball-lunachick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    New Jersey

    Re: Interesting Baseball News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    I miss the Reggie Bar, that was pretty good.
    we were talking about that the other day - it was pretty yummy.

  17. #5717

    Re: Interesting Baseball News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    Well he called out A-Rod (who he claims to be friends with) and Gary Carter. Among many other players currently in the hall.



    http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/07/...er-a-disgrace/
    I don't really disagree with Reggie, but then again, I don't see Reggie as a Hall of Fame player, either.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

  18. #5718
    NYYF Legend

    b-ball-lunachick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    New Jersey

    Re: Interesting Baseball News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    I don't really disagree with Reggie, but then again, I don't see Reggie as a Hall of Fame player, either.
    did you have a problem with the double standard for A-Rod and Andy?

  19. #5719
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006

    Re: Interesting Baseball News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by b-ball-lunachick View Post
    did you have a problem with the double standard for A-Rod and Andy?
    Personally, I don't take Reggie seriously enough to care if he has a double standard.

    Oh, and the only time I had a Reggie bar was when I got one for free, Opening Day, 1978. I threw mine against the wall even before everyone else threw theirs on the field.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

  20. #5720

    Re: Interesting Baseball News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by b-ball-lunachick View Post
    did you have a problem with the double standard for A-Rod and Andy?
    From Reggie, or in general?

    edit: John hit the nail on the head about Reggie
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

  21. #5721
    NYYF Legend

    b-ball-lunachick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    New Jersey

    Re: Interesting Baseball News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

    dang now i want a reggie bar. crap!

  22. #5722

    Re: Interesting Baseball News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    Well he called out A-Rod (who he claims to be friends with) and Gary Carter. Among many other players currently in the hall.



    http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/07/...er-a-disgrace/
    While I don't disagree with him, Reggie has always mouthed-off since day one. He's a legend in his own mind. He's probably the Most-Disliked (good) Yankee player of all time.
    Roger Maris = single season "natural" home-run record-holder.

  23. #5723
    First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    We just don't know

    Re: Interesting Baseball News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread


    Hey Reggie, wanna go fishing?

    We toast to the old days and DiMaggio too,
    Billy Martin and Mantle, Whitey Ford and to you

  24. #5724

    Re: Interesting Baseball News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by pleasepassthesoup View Post
    I'm not sure that Reggie's ever done anything that would be considered classy. The guy's a first-rate clown. (and I still can't believe the Yanks retired his number)
    I hope they unretire the #44. This isn't some knee jerk reaction to the recent events i've been saying this for years. He helped us win two titles in five seasons but so what? That doesn't warrant him getting his jersey number retired. Was it because he hit three home runs in a World Series game? Babe Ruth did that, TWICE. He struck out more than any other player in MLB History (2597) & his .262 career batting average is laughable so why is he even talking?

  25. #5725

    Re: Interesting Baseball News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NYYankeesFan92 View Post
    I hope they unretire the #44. This isn't some knee jerk reaction to the recent events i've been saying this for years. He helped us win two titles in five seasons but so what? That doesn't warrant him getting his jersey number retired. Was it because he hit three home runs in a World Series game? Babe Ruth did that, TWICE. He struck out more than any other player in MLB History (2597) & his .262 career batting average is laughable so why is he even talking?
    Back in the day 500 HRs was pretty much a guaranteed selection.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts