+ Reply to Thread
Page 218 of 338 FirstFirst ... 118 168 208 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 228 268 318 ... LastLast
Results 5,426 to 5,450 of 8446
    NYYF Legend

Re: Interesting Baseball News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

Through the end of April, 7 teams in the AL have a positive run differential - 5 of them are in the AL EAST.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Attorney at Bird Law Bronson'sCornrows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    I'll never put Jeanne on ignore-- I'm still holding out hope that one night she'll show up so wasted that she starts posting pictures.
    Everything great on the internet starts outs the same way.

No-hitter tonight for Jered Weaver. Certainly a deserving guy to reach that accomplishment. And his parents were at the game, which seems like a happy coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mxylsplk View Post
    No-hitter tonight for Jered Weaver. Certainly a deserving guy to reach that accomplishment. And his parents were at the game, which seems like a happy coincidence.
    He is from the area though. They might go to all his games.

Doesn't matter though, he is awesome. I think he is the most underrated pitcher in the game.
    "Long Island is New Jersey with a GED." - Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

People underrate Weaver? Which people? Are they paying attention?

I am always happy to see a pitcher of his caliber accomplish these things. Not that any pitcher is less or more deserving, but a dominant guy like Weaver is fun to watch as it is. Seeing him at his best is just awesome. Glad I got to see it after the Rangers game in triple overtime.
    You can't get a sun-tan on the moon.

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post

I am always happy to see a pitcher of his caliber accomplish these things. Not that any pitcher is less or more deserving, but a dominant guy like Weaver is fun to watch as it is. Seeing him at his best is just awesome. Glad I got to see it after the Rangers game in triple overtime.
    I put him right up there with the top couple of guys. I think most people consider him to be more of a top 10 guy.
    "Long Island is New Jersey with a GED." - Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

Quote Originally Posted by NYDCYankee View Post
    He is from the area though. They might go to all his games.

Doesn't matter though, he is awesome. I think he is the most underrated pitcher in the game.
    Because he looks so much like his brother, I think he suffers from some residue comparisons, but he's a much better pitcher than his brother ever was especially when it comes to being tougher mentally.

37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post

I'm in a keeper league where you can keep each guy two times. BUT, if you trade him, the keeper clock resets.

I tried trading an unkeepable Weaver for an unkeepable Kershaw, and the guy said "Kershaw is just flat out better than Weaver, by just about any standard you can throw out there," and turned it down. Neither one of us can keep our pitcher next year, so we'll have to trade them eventually (though it doesn't have to be to each other).

Meanwhile:

Weaver: 4 wins, 45 K, 1.61 ERA, 0.784 WHIP
    Kershaw: 2 wins, 34 K, 2.63 ERA, 0.929 WHIP

I'm gonna send an e-mail to the other owner thanking him for not saddling me with Kershaw.

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Because he looks so much like his brother, I think he suffers from some residue comparisons, but he's a much better pitcher than his brother ever was especially when it comes to being tougher mentally.
    Good points about his brother - both the resemblance and being tougher. I'm happy for him. He doesn't get as much attention as Verlander, Halladay or now, Darvish. Wish I could have seen the game.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

NYYF Legend

Pitchers Everett Teaford, left, and Tim
    Collins in a pair of Broxton’s pants.

Albert Pujols has now broken through the Mendoza line headed the wrong way (.194).
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do. - Joe Walsh

Romero: 4-0, 3.64
    Morrow: 3-1, 2.38
    Alvarez: 2-2, 2.83
    Drabek: 2-2, 2.40

The inconsistent young arms are always the reason the Jays hover around .500 in the AL East. They've always had the fire power offensively. Seems they may be turning the corner or is this their usual big start to the season and will be back to normal by the ASB? Boston is wishing they had Farrell as their skipper I bet. Also surprising is that Bautista and Lind are having horrendous starts to the season and the Jays are still knocking it out of the park regularly. Pretty good when your 3&4 hitters aren't showing up.

The A.L. East should play their games in the Emergency room...

http://www.providencejournal.com/spo...3.24bfa22.html

BOSTON — As disappointed as Buck Showalter was to see Mariano Rivera sidelined for the season, he couldn’t bring himself to feel sympathy toward the New York Yankees.
    The Yankees, after all, are only the latest American League East team to lose their closer — or to lose a pivotal part of their roster, period. A rash of injuries has hit the American League East in the first month of the season.
    No team has been immune. The Yankees already had lost left fielder Brett Gardner, starter Michael Pineda and reliever Joba Chamberlain to injuries. The Red Sox, of course, have lost closer Andrew Bailey, third baseman Kevin Youkilis and outfielders Carl Crawford and Jacoby Ellsbury. The Tampa Bay Rays have lost third baseman Evan Longoria and closer Kyle Farnsworth. The Toronto Blue Jays have lost closer Sergio Santos.“We’ve been without Brian Roberts, one of our best players, for a while — and Nolan Reimold,” Showalter said. “(Tsuyoshi) Wada is having surgery. We were counting on him. Zach Britton, we haven’t had him all year."
    "I'm sorry Smokey, you were over the line, that's a foul....mark it zero Dude, next frame"

NYYF Legend

Interesting random HR facts (distances, height and other weird stuff) from april

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/po...-cubs-in-april
    Baseball is life;

NYYF Legend

Top 4 payrolls

NYY $197M - 16-14 - 4th place
    PHI $174M - 14-18 - 5th place
    BOS $173M - 12-18 - 5th place
    LAA $154M - 14-18 - 4th place

TOT $698M - 56 - 68

Cash is not king so far this year.
    Baseball is life;

Strasburg's stuff is flat out silly.

NYYF Legend

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highsc...144924879.html
    Move over MLB, 6-year-old Little Leaguer turns unassisted triple play
    Only 15 players in Major League Baseball history have ever turned an unassisted triple play (with one coming in the World Series, in 1920 by Cleveland Indians second baseman Bill Wambsganss), where they have unilaterally been responsible for recording all three outs of a half inning by themselves on a single play.
    Now those 15 baseball statistical icons have been joined by a 6-year-old. Really.
    There's video at the site I linked above.

Way to go little guy!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Eldee5 View Post

Way to go little guy!
    That's great - he's only 6 and he's already done something he will remember for the rest of his life.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

Quote Originally Posted by 35Knucklecurve View Post
    That's great - he's only 6 and he's already done something he will remember for the rest of his life.
    I did stuff when I was 6 that I still remember, and probably will for the rest of my life.

For instance, I was about that age when I threw up in the living room. My parents were pissed.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/fish_...#storylink=cpy
    A quiet, leisurely off day for Marlins catcher Brett Hayes took a dramatic and frightening turn when he came within close proximity of the Florida turnpike gunman suspected of shooting two law enforcement officers.

"It was pretty scary, to be honest with you," Hayes said.

Hayes and his wife were driving to a birthday party about 6 p.m. when traffic came to a sudden standstill on the northbound side of the turnpike near the Hollywood Boulevard exit. Hayes said that, moments later, a man appeared from out of the pouring rain, walking next to the concrete barrier in the center median.

His first reaction: "Why is a man walking down the turnpike?"

But then, to the catcher's shock, he noticed that the man was carrying a gun.

“He and I made eye contact, and he looked like he was up to no good,” Hayes said. “Something was very wrong. I just had a very bad feeling. My wife and I were in shock. I told her ‘Do not look at him.’ He was walking like he was walking down the street. It was really creepy. but his face....it was pretty scary to be honest with you.”

Shortly after the man passed their car, Hayes said a law enforcement officer wearing a bulletproof vest came walking past with gun drawn. After traffic began moving, Hayes said he turned on the radio and heard that officers had been shot.

“My wife and I said a big, long prayer for them,” Hayes said. “We heard later that they were going to be all right. What a blessing.”

The officers were taken to the hospital. Both will survive, according to reports. The gunman took his own life.
    Wow. Talk about wrong place, wrong time.
    Very glad that both officers survived the shooting.

NYYF Triple Crown

Heard about that on the news, without the Brett Hayes part.
    "Never, never, never quit."-Winston Churchill.

harper tried to knock the wall down with his bat after making out, physics says no, so he gets a bloodied face.
    always reasonable

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eldee5 View Post

Way to go little guy!
    Great baseball sense to do all that. It's like it was some sort of drawn out "silly" play that happened to result in a statistical anomaly. Very impressive for a 6 year old (also, a great catch for a 6 year old!)

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I did stuff when I was 6 that I still remember, and probably will for the rest of my life.

For instance, I was about that age when I threw up in the living room. My parents were pissed.
    I peed in the trash bucket next to the toilet, proudly might I add. For some reason, I thought I did something great. I still remember my parents questioning me about it like it was yesterday. I was totally expecting some sort of pat on the back
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    I peed in the trash bucket next to the toilet, proudly might I add. For some reason, I thought I did something great. I still remember my parents questioning me about it like it was yesterday. I was totally expecting some sort of pat on the back
    Can't resist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5UG7ISJfP0
    He'll never get another milestone like that one. So what? His whole career is a milestone. - JL25and3

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

I'm curious, how is it that the Phillies are in last place in the NL East? And the Nats were in 1st, but are now in 2nd? This just doesn't make sense to me.
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

Thread Information