+ Reply to Thread
Page 208 of 332 FirstFirst ... 108 158 198 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 218 258 308 ... LastLast
Results 5,176 to 5,200 of 8300

Re: Interesting Baseball News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

Quote Originally Posted by SatchelPaigeYankee View Post
    Cheetahs, having evolved to be able to run at such absurd speeds, are tremendously weak otherwide and their bodies have been known to basically collapse. 90% of cheetahs die within a few weeks of birth; thems seaturtle numbers. they're also subject to a lot of inbreeding that exacerbates their run-a-way speediness genes and other physical weaknesses.
    I read this in David Attenborough's voice.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    I read this in David Attenborough's voice.
    inspired, I decided to hop on youtube. I came across this CRAZY video of this bird that can copy the sound of camera shutters and chainsaws.

like delv, but better

that's both sad and cool
    always reasonable

NYYF Legend

http://espn.go.com/dallas/mlb/story/...angers-march-7
    SURPRISE, Ariz. -- Texas Rangers starting pitcher Yu Darvish will make his first Cactus League start on March 7 in Peoria, Ariz., against the San Diego Padres. He's expected to throw two innings.

Perhaps the best news for Darvish about that start: It won't require pitching through a screen like he's doing now as part of the pitchers' throwing live batting practice early in camp.

Darvish threw 36 pitches to hitters on Monday and said he felt "very good" about the performance, mainly because he could move the screen to the side a little bit. It's something he isn't fully comfortable using while he pitches.

Darvish showed off a full array of pitches on Monday, pounding the strike zone with his two-seamer, slider, splitter and changeup, among others. His movement impressed minor-league hitters Vincent DiFazio and Mike Bianucci.

"I was just happy to make contact a couple of times," DiFazio said.

Not that this is any surprise:
    http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-angelstakeoff
    TEMPE, Ariz. (AP)—Albert Pujols hasn’t connected for his first homer and he’s already having a powerful impact on the Los Angeles Angels.

The superstar slugger, who signed a $240 million free agent contract with the club in December, has impressed his new teammates with an unparalleled work ethic so far in spring training. Pujols has been one of the first players to report each morning and one of the last to leave. Following the Angels’ first full-squad workout of camp Monday, when Pujols hit laser-beam line drives during batting practice, outfielder Torii Hunter said he gets “a great vibe” just being around the All-Star first baseman.

Hunter said he can learn how to become a better hitter just by watching Pujols swing in the batting cage.

Please, Torii Hunter, just stop it. It's too late for you to learn how to become a better hitter.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

NYYF Legend

Ken Rosenthal@Ken_Rosenthal Source: Molina five-year deal with #STLCards in $70M to $75M range. #MLB

Yadier signs an extension with STL.

NYYF Legend

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...s-compensation
    BRADENTON, Fla. -- Some players get a watch when a veteran who joins the team takes their jersey number. Daniel McCutchen got a college fund.

For his unborn daughter, due in May.

A.J. Burnett, who took McCutchen's No. 34 jersey, will start a College America 529 plan for McCutchen's daugher, McCutchen said. Not quite yet -- the child has to be born first so she can get a Social Security number -- but soon.

"When a veteran comes in and takes a number, some of the guys usually get something," McCutchen said. "I know he has kids. He asked me what I wanted, I brought that up.

"Eighteen years from now, we’ll see what the market is."
    McCutchen's a helluva negotiator!

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    Ken Rosenthal@Ken_Rosenthal Source: Molina five-year deal with #STLCards in $70M to $75M range. #MLB

Martin's price just went up.
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

NYYF Cy Young

Wasn't sure if this was Inside the Lines material, but an "inside source" in the Yankees disclaims interest in Josh Hamilton: http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/yan...-2013-outfield
    Attention Steinbrenner and front-office morons! Your triumphs mean nothing. You all stink. You can sit on it, and rotate! This is George Costanza. I fear no reprisal. Extension 5-1-7-0.

yea way way too much risk. when the payroll was expanding in the early 2000's, yankees had the stretching room to eat a bad contract of that size. but not now.
    always reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post

Yeah that extentension is bad news for trying to re-sign Martin or lure Montero here next offseason while trying to get under the $189 million payroll mark. Come on Romine!

Devoted Member

MLB playoffs now expanded to 10 teams. Seems more like game 163 then playoffs. Still think I'd rather keep it how it was then expanding like they did, but whatever.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/M...tseason-022912

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    Martin's price just went up.
    Let him walk and get Montero to catch..... Miguel Montero

NYYF Legend

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12060...cmpid=news.xml
    Pirates starter A.J. Burnett was scheduled to return to Pittsburgh Wednesday night after fouling a ball off his right eye during a bunting competition Wednesday morning, the team announced.
    Burnett will have further examinations on his right eye.
    Burnett redirected the pitch, which came at medium speed from a pitching machine, toward his right eye socket and under the brim of his helmet. The ball made an audible sound as it struck his face and drew blood. A trainer stemmed the bleeding with a towel and Burnett left the field.
    Wow, I hope he's going to be OK. That's scary.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeefan3783 View Post
    MLB playoffs now expanded to 10 teams. Seems more like game 163 then playoffs. Still think I'd rather keep it how it was then expanding like they did, but whatever.

This is baseball news that warrants its own thread.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeefan3783 View Post

Last year's exciting finish and Red Sox collapse never would have happened as both Boston and Tampa Bay would have made the playoffs.

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    Last year's exciting finish and Red Sox collapse never would have happened as both Boston and Tampa Bay would have made the playoffs.
    True, although many people hated the intro of the wildcard format and that scenario wouldn't have played out without a wild card either. I'm willing to give the new format a shot. Who knows, the excitement of an elimination game could add something, and it should motivate teams to gun for the division titles a little harder.

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    True, although many people hated the intro of the wildcard format and that scenario wouldn't have played out without a wild card either. I'm willing to give the new format a shot. Who knows, the excitement of an elimination game could add something, and it should motivate teams to gun for the division titles a little harder.

Joe Sheehan wrote a great article about what a stupid idea this is and it's definitely worth a read:
    http://joesheehanbaseball.blogspot.c...wild-card.html

Basically, his point is that the way to fix the division not mattering is by getting rid of the wild card, not by adding another. If having the division be crucial matters to you, then don't let a second place team in. If it doesn't matter to you, leave things the way they are. I personally don't care whether or not the division matters, but if they're going to make the decision that it does, getting rid of the wild card has way less downside to the quality of the sport than adding an extra one and a coin-flip game.

But still keeping the moronic best-of-5 ?
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Eldee5 View Post
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12060...cmpid=news.xml

Wow, I hope he's going to be OK. That's scary.

Why does he need to go through more sinus pain by flying to Pittsburgh? They don't have eye doctors in Florida???

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    Why does he need to go through more sinus pain by flying to Pittsburgh? They don't have eye doctors in Florida???
    The Pirates probably have crappy insurance.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Hope AJ is okay. Really wanting him to do well over there.

I found a copy of Pittsburgh's insurance plan in regards to optometry.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    Hope AJ is okay. Really wanting him to do well over there.

I found a copy of Pittsburgh's insurance plan in regards to optometry.

That's messed up....

Good thing the trade wasn't contingent on AJ's ability to bunt.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

It's a jab at Pittsburgh, not AJ*

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    It's a jab at Pittsburgh, not AJ*
    Understood....
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

Thread Information