+ Reply to Thread
Page 194 of 332 FirstFirst ... 94 144 184 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 204 244 294 ... LastLast
Results 4,826 to 4,850 of 8298
    NYYF Legend

Re: Interesting Baseball News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

Homeboy Hookup sounds like a website I'd frequent.

new jays logo looks okay. it's pretty good.
    always reasonable

^kinda prefer the older one
    like delv, but better

I kinda think if some players wore hats with one on it and some wore hats with the other on it, most people wouldnt notice.

Quote Originally Posted by SatchelPaigeYankee View Post
    Same here. I also think the old uniforms with the crazy fonts when they won back-to-back world titles should be back too permanently.
    "Losing is not my enemy, fear of losing is my enemy." - Tennis champion Rafael Nadal

He speaks: Beaten up SF Giants fan Bryan Stow talks
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/70...speaking-again

Fantastic news.
    "Losing is not my enemy, fear of losing is my enemy." - Tennis champion Rafael Nadal

Astros 50th anniversary logo.

http://www.uni-watch.com/

NYYF Legend

^^^ - I was very happy to see the little crawl that ran on ESPN last night. I was hoping for further details, but they didn't elaborate. Thanks for the link.

Earlier this month, Stow and his children filed a lawsuit against the Dodgers alleging a lack of security, lighting and other problems at the ballpark. Stow's lawyers say his medical care is expected to cost more than $50 million.
    $50 million dollars - my God......you cannot put a price on life, but if someone doesn't come forward and offer some help, they will never be able to pay for his treatment. Given the financial state of the Dodgers, I don't know if they could even pay for at least part of it.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

NYYF Legend

I no longer feel sorry for him. Lawyers are ruining this country. It's why our health care costs are more than double of the top industrialized nations.

NYYF Legend

Marlins' Closer Has an Identify Problem:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/70...ue-report-says
    MIAMI -- Florida Marlins closer Leo Nunez has been playing under an assumed name, and the issue prompted him to return Thursday to his native Dominican Republic, two people familiar with his immigration status said.

Both people said the Marlins have been aware of the issue for several months. They spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because Dominican and team officials haven't made any public comment on the case.

One of the people said Nunez's real name is Juan Carlos Oviedo and he's 29, a year older than listed in the team media guide. The Marlins placed Nunez on Major League Baseball's restricted list, and he isn't expected to pitch in the final week of the season.

[snip]
    The players' association had not immediately determined whether to challenge the Marlins' decision to place him on the restricted list, a person familiar with the union's deliberations said. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the union had not made any public statements.
    Okay - the obvious questions is why he's been using an assumed name and none of the possible answers sounds good. Sometimes I wonder about the players' union. It'll be interesting to see if they challenge the decision to place him on the restricted list.

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    I no longer feel sorry for him. Lawyers are ruining this country. It's why our health care costs are more than double of the top industrialized nations.
    How does any of that not make you feel sorry for the poor guy? I don't see any connection whatsoever.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by pleasepassthesoup View Post
    How does any of that not make you feel sorry for the poor guy? I don't see any connection whatsoever.
    I was wondering the same thing, but I think the decision to sue the Dodgers is what Donnybaseball72 has an issue with. There are so many lawyers who'd be eager to take this type of case - national media coverage, public sympathy for the victim, etc. They're going to get something out of this, one way or the other. I do see his point, however. It seems as though ever since that woman sued McDonald's for serving her hot coffee and won the case, lawsuits have gotten out of hand. Whether or not the Dodgers can be held accountable for the near fatal beating this man suffered is going to be a real challenge for the prosecution and the defense. Hopefully, there's a way to raise funds for the medical bills, but $50 million dollars is an overwhelming goal.

our health care costs are expensive because health care is a business, and that business has convinced us that we need them more than we do.

also, how are lawyers ruining the country when lawyers work to represent the desires of other people/corporations? this is like blaming a waiter for food poisoning.
    like delv, but better

Quote Originally Posted by SatchelPaigeYankee View Post
    idk. new one looks cleaner
    always reasonable

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 35Knucklecurve View Post
    I was wondering the same thing, but I think the decision to sue the Dodgers is what Donnybaseball72 has an issue with. There are so many lawyers who'd be eager to take this type of case - national media coverage, public sympathy for the victim, etc. They're going to get something out of this, one way or the other. I do see his point, however. It seems as though ever since that woman sued McDonald's for serving her hot coffee and won the case, lawsuits have gotten out of hand. Whether or not the Dodgers can be held accountable for the near fatal beating this man suffered is going to be a real challenge for the prosecution and the defense. Hopefully, there's a way to raise funds for the medical bills, but $50 million dollars is an overwhelming goal.
    Small aside, but the woman who sued McDonald's had a legitimate case. They used to make their coffee unsafely hot.

Quote Originally Posted by RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees View Post
    Small aside, but the woman who sued McDonald's had a legitimate case. They used to make their coffee unsafely hot.
    Not only that, but she was originally only asking for her medical bills to be paid. It was only after McDonalds refused that she filed a lawsuit.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

NYYF Legend

How can you not feel sorry for the guy who was brutally beaten within an ich of his life and will never be the same because he was wearing the wrong jersey to a baseball game.

I agree our society is overly litigious.

The health care claim you are making comes from the statitsics of thin air and has no basis in reality.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

I don't think the lawsuit gets filed if there were sanctions on the attorney should he/she lose the case.
    There's nothing for the attorney's to lose by filing cases like the McDonald's Coffee Case.

I'm not saying it was right or wrong to file. Nor am I saying the outcome was right or wrong. I think we, as a society, could cut out a lot of the un-needed suing if we were to put a price on losing.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

NYYF Legend

Yes, and my point was that until that case made the news, people didn't think about filing lawsuits over issues that now involve their own stupidity, greed or carelessness. I completely agree that the woman should have sued McDonalds. She didn't plant a dead mouse in a Big Mac and claim she suffered an emotional trauma from it, but it just seems that's the kind of ridiculous attempts to get a nice chunk of change we hear about.

NYYF Legend

The White Sox and Marlins are in the final stages of completing a deal that would send Ozzie Guillen to Miami to be the Marlins’ new manager, according to Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times. Guillen met with chairman Jerry Reinsdorf today to discuss the details of his split with the White Sox, according to Cowley, who notes that GM Kenny Williams was not present.
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/0...ing-ozzie.html

The Dodgers Eugenio Velez, barring a hit in any of the final three games of the season, is the new record holder for most at bats (36) during a hitless season. He also finished last season with the Giants on an 0-9 skid running his consecutive hitless at bat streak to 45.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/_/id/28901/eugenio-velez
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do. - Joe Walsh

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Man View Post
    The Dodgers Eugenio Velez, barring a hit in any of the final three games of the season, is the new record holder for most at bats (36) during a hitless season. He also finished last season with the Giants on an 0-9 skid running his consecutive hitless at bat streak to 45.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/_/id/28901/eugenio-velez

He's not that bad. He did manage to draw 2 walks this year.

NYYF Legend

Vlad Guerrero became the all-time hits leader last night among players from the Dominican Republic. In the same game, Robert Andino became the first O to hit an inside-the-park HR at Camden Yards. His Dad was there, seeing his first MLB game and he was calling everybody he knew on his cell phone.

Quote Originally Posted by 35Knucklecurve View Post
    Vlad Guerrero became the all-time hits leader last night among players from the Dominican Republic. In the same game, Robert Andino became the first O to hit an inside-the-park HR at Camden Yards. His Dad was there, seeing his first MLB game and he was calling everybody he knew on his cell phone.
    I think the most impressive feat last night was Vlad stealing a base.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    I think the most impressive feat last night was Vlad stealing a base.
    I forgot about that......the Sox have already set the MLB record for allowing 37 steals in one month. If Vlad can do it, I guess it shouldn't come as a surprise.

Thread Information