+ Reply to Thread
Page 178 of 332 FirstFirst ... 78 128 168 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 188 228 278 ... LastLast
Results 4,426 to 4,450 of 8300
    Good to the last drop CoyoteYankee's Avatar

Re: Interesting Baseball News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

Quote Originally Posted by nnysiny View Post
    Willy Aybar arrested for beating his wife...again.
    http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...ng-wife-again/
    Forum rules should allow us to call this guy names.
    2014 - New Team, New Result

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteYankee View Post
    concur
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

I don't think there's a rule preventing one from using his name as a verb.

"A guy kept bumping into me while I was on line at the bank. I came this close to Aybarring his ass."
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    I don't think there's a rule preventing one from using his name as a verb.

"A guy kept bumping into me while I was on line at the bank. I came this close to Aybarring his ass."
    I know I'd like to Aybar the crap out of Aybar.

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayBomber55 View Post
    Brian Sabean doesn't know that it's just part of the game.
    Of course he knows, anyone who's been around baseball as much as he has knows what is and isn't part of the game. He's just whining.

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    if a manager came out and said this he'd be suspended and fined.

will sabean?
    MLB has to do something to calm down expressed emotions.

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

He should be suspended or removed from his job. That's ridiculous and I hope she gets rid of him for good. He'll do it again. Grrrr

Happy Summer!! b-ball-lunachick's Avatar

nicely put.

Seriously though - this woman needs to get away from this guy now, or there may not be a next time for her, at least a next time for her alive. What a POS this guy is...I hope he gets booed everywhere.

I have to go upstairs and take an Aybar
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

Quote Originally Posted by YESSIR! View Post
    Yup, pretty pathetic commentary from Sabean. The guy's already receiving death-threats and all crap like this does is fan the flames. Maybe it was a bad and/or needless play on the part of Cousins, but the guy obviously wasn't being malicious (as Sabean claims) and trying to hurt Posey, and he tried to apologize repeatedly to the player and the organization afterward. Sometimes sh*t happens. Wishing the guy never plays another game is pretty irresponsible, to say the least.
    I agree - I'm not going to fault Cousins at all - and his response to Sabean was perfect. Sabean should be at the very least fined for these comments..pretty stupid to make a threat like that..what a douche. I'm sorry Posey was hurt but it's part of the game..

Cousins' response:

"I hope and believe that Mr. Sabean's comments were made in the heat of the moment and are based more on his fondness for Buster Posey than on any animosity towards me," Cousins said in the statement. "This situation is still an open wound for many, including myself. As I have stated previously, nobody outside of Buster feels worse about his injury than I do."

Cousins said he's tried to contact Posey but has been unsuccessful.

"I do believe, however, that the play was clean and totally within the rules of the game," Cousins said. "Explaining over and over that I would never intentionally hurt another player for any reason won't change the minds of those who doubt my sincerity or intent.

"I have a responsibility to myself, my teammates, and my organization to play the game hard. This is what has gotten me to the big leagues, and hopefully this is what will keep me here."

What the ChoneFiggins did you just say?
    Metallica. Screaming crowd. Jog to the mound. Game over. - Chad Jennings

Quote Originally Posted by MassNYYfan View Post

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    I have to go upstairs and take an Aybar

Quote Originally Posted by MassNYYfan View Post
    I just almost Aybarred on my keyboard.

NYYF Legend

Hall of Famer Johnny Bench says Buster Posey's season-ending injury was the result of a mistake on the Giants catcher's part.

Bench, who knows all too well the physical toll of playing catcher in the major leagues, says preventing collisions at the plate is a major key to the success of any catcher.

"Buster was a finalist for the Johnny Bench Award (as the top collegiate catcher in 2008) and is a great kid -- I called him after the World Series last year," Bench told the Tulsa World this week. "When I heard about the injury, I was anxious to see how this happened. Buster put himself in such a bad position."

"First of all, my catchers don't sit in front of home plate. They stand away from home plate and work back to the plate," Bench told the Tulsa newspaper. "But we (catchers) are just fair game. You've got a guy running around third base at 210 to 220 pounds with 3 percent body fat and with sprinter's speed."

Cousins, a rookie, has been receiving death threats despite repeatedly apologizing for the May 25 collision that left Posey with a broken bone in his lower left leg and three torn ligaments in his ankle. He's had surgery and is done for the season.

"I teach my kids to stay away from the plate when you don't have the ball so the runner actually sees home plate and his thought is, slide," said Bench, who has undergone hip replacements on both legs in the past seven years after a 17-year career that ended in 1983. "But Buster is laying in front of home plate, and it's like having a disabled car in the middle of a four-lane highway. You're just going to get smacked."

Posey has said he felt Cousins could have slid around him but also said it was a legal play.

"Show them the plate," Bench said. "You can always catch the ball and step, or step and catch the ball, as long as you've got the runner on the ground. And if you have the runner on the ground, there's less chance of any severe collision."
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=6625504

Logan Morrison is pretty pissed at Sabean and Poaey. I just threw all of the best quotes together, but there's more in the link. I like what he said though.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

I hope [Sabean] apologizes, because what he said was wildly inappropriate and wildly unprofessional, and it really shows ignorance on his part. Not to show compassion for a human being who is going through a hard time ... I guess he wouldn't know anything about. If it were me, and I was on his side, I'd reserve my comments until the death threats have subsided.

Here's the thing: It's the winning run of the game. Even if he did, and I'm not saying he did have a clear lane, but that lane was about to be shut off by Posey, who was coming back towards him to tag him.

"You're watching it in slow motion replay. If I had a clean lane and had to slide, and I was out by sliding, I'm mad at myself for not running him over. It's within my rights to run him over and separate him from the ball.

If it was me running, I would have put him in the third row of the stands. If he got hurt, I'm sorry. That's part of the game. I'd feel bad if he did get hurt. But I wouldn't have written a two-page letter like Cousins did. I wouldn't have tried to reach out to him like Cousins did, because I know it's part of the game. I wouldn't have felt half as bad as Cousins did. And for Posey not to write back to him or say anything to him, that's just immature and childish. I have no respect for him or respect for Sabean.

If they are going to feel any animosity at anybody, throw at me. I will take it for Cuz, for sure. I'll put the bull's eye on my back. That's the least I can do for Cousins and this team.

I don't have any animosity towards the Giants," Morrison said. "I don't think our team has any animosity towards the Giants. I have animosity towards Sabean and the comments he made. I have animosity towards Posey for the comments that he made.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Matt34 View Post
    Logan Morrison is pretty pissed at Sabean and Poaey. I just threw all of the best quotes together, but there's more in the link. I like what he said though.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb
    I like what Morrison said and I will never understand people threatening peoples lives over a game. Seriously people it isnt that serious.
    "A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore."

I love baseball in general and the Yankees just happen to be my favorite team since I knew what baseball was.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffman View Post
    I like what Morrison said and I will never understand people threatening peoples lives over a game. Seriously people it isnt that serious.
    Yeah, there's some wacko's out there. Probably some poser Giants fans that didn't even follow the team until last year. It sucks that Posey got hurt, but it really wasn't a dirty play. As the rules (written and unwritten) go, it was the play Cousins is supposed to make and that was validated by the game result, albeit with the very regrettable result in terms of the serious injury. I could understand some vitriol if it was a filthy play in a blowout game or something, but that's not what went down here and certainly nothing that should compel some jackasses to throw down death threats.

Another blow up from Carlos Zambrano
    http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/ml...ory?id=6629129
    "Losing is not my enemy, fear of losing is my enemy." - Tennis champion Rafael Nadal

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers View Post
    He should be suspended or removed from his job. That's ridiculous and I hope she gets rid of him for good. He'll do it again. Grrrr
    I say let her take batting practice on him.....while he's not wearing a cup.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

Mean WOOOOOOOOOOOO By God Gene S2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by S2 View Post
    I knew Albert Pujols was having a down year but I didn't see his numbers until today. Holy crap. .332 OBP, .403 SLG??? He is one of the best players I have ever seen, how is this possible?
    Um, so, .444/.545/1.074/1.620 in his last 7 games. Sexy.
    It is what it is but it ain't what you think
    I say we stomp him! Then we tattoo him! Then we hang him! And then we kill him!
    I say we let him go.

http://www.tmz.com/2011/06/06/lenny-...nt-accountant/
    Lenny Dykstra, we hardly knew ye.
    the Los Angeles County District Attorney will press multiple charges ... including auto theft, identity theft, and drug allegations. Dykstra was told he'll be arraigned later today.

Our sources also say Dykstra won't be alone -- his accountant will be a co-defendant.

Sources say the D.A. plans to recommend bail be set at $500,000 for Dykstra ... but we're told that amount could change.

The charges are unrelated to Dykstra's April arrest

NYYF MVP

It's easy to pass judgement for the people that have never dealt with the monster known as cocaine. For those of you who don't know, once you pass the point of no return it's a nightmare that never leaves your head. It has no mercy even against the likes of Lenny Dykstra who I'm sure was powerless, to fight his need for money.

NYYF Legend

This guy may become my all-time favorite -

Bryce Harper was spotted blowing a kiss to an opposing pitcher after launching a home run Monday.

The kiss may have been provoked by some form of taunting, but it still broke about every chapter of baseball's proverbial unwritten rules book and won't soon be forgotten. Harper is an immensely talented teenager and should continue rising quickly through the Nationals' farm system, but he may want to tone down the cockiness before an opposing pitcher plants a fastball in his torso.
    Bush, but classic. I bet he did in fact respond to taunting.

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    This guy may become my all-time favorite -

Bush, but classic. I bet he did in fact respond to taunting.
    Awesome. Professional pitchers as a whole have become such hypersensitive pansies, so I love the fact that Harper isn't afraid to taunt a bit.

Thread Information