+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 332 FirstFirst ... 11 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 31 71 121 ... LastLast

Re: Interesting Baseball News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

"Mr. Injury" himself, Ken Griffey Jr., has suffered a broken hand. I'm posting it here since I still can't create new threads.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/a...lb_toolbar_rss

So is his new nickname going to be 'DUI-Train' or 'PEE-Train'?

NYYF Legend

It was really disappointing to hear about this. I like the guy - he seems to have so much fun out there playing ball for a living. Hope it's not a sign of a problem.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

WHO THE F CHANGED MY CUT? johnnyyankee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bigjf
    "Mr. Injury" himself, Ken Griffey Jr., has suffered a broken hand. I'm posting it here since I still can't create new threads.

This is where it belongs. Shleprock strikes again!

NYYF Legend

it's really a shame to see how injuries have derailed his career.

Geesh --- Griffey can't catch a break huh.........

Not counting his bones of course..........
    GO YANKEES

Yogi Buck

This thread sucks.

I never read it because there is so much stupid crap in it.

Then you go and close a perfectly good thread about D. Willis getting a DUI. I'm glad somebody at least stuck it out there, otherwise I wouldn't have seen it.

A player whom the Yankees have been hotly persuing. Certainly that is more news worthy than David Wright being on the cover of some stupid arse game. (no offense to you gamers)

You've made this board totally worthless for those like me that don't like sifting through all this utter crap to get to a news worthy item.3

Not to mention, I never see anything about the Redsox because you've got one stupid arse thread. Who is that for? So red sox fans can come here and catch up in a hurry? (sarcasm) Give me a break?

Some of you guys are like the censor police. Is it art or is it filth?

Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by budstinks
    This thread sucks.

I never read it because there is so much stupid crap in it.

Then you go and close a perfectly good thread about D. Willis getting a DUI. I'm glad somebody at least stuck it out there, otherwise I wouldn't have seen it.

A player whom the Yankees have been hotly persuing. Certainly that is more news worthy than David Wright being on the cover of some stupid arse game. (no offense to you gamers)

You've made this board totally worthless for those like me that don't like sifting through all this utter crap to get to a news worthy item.3

Not to mention, I never see anything about the Redsox because you've got one stupid arse thread. Who is that for? So red sox fans can come here and catch up in a hurry? (sarcasm) Give me a break?

Some of you guys are like the censor police. Is it art or is it filth?

Just my two cents.
    Yeah, I don't think that thread should have been closed. I know I posted it in here, but I can see people not checking out this thread because it is so long. I would've posted it in its own, but I can't make threads yet....

Now Juan Rivera has broken his tibia playing winter ball.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/p...lb_toolbar_rss

NYYF Legend

Yeah, I don't think that thread should have been closed. I know I posted it in here, but I can see people not checking out this thread because it is so long. I would've posted it in its own, but I can't make threads yet....
    I love the mods on this board. They are phenomenal. But I have to admit that I am at a loss as to why that thread was closed. I think it is pretty significant news and not everyone has time to sift through a huge catchall thread like this one. Just my
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ace
    I went to Old Timer's Day 2005 and Jimmy Leyritz was playing...as much as I love the guy, you can't come back and play after you've already played on OTD.
    Didn't Sojo play in the Old Timers game and a regular season game in the same season a few years back

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeeah
    Didn't Sojo play in the Old Timers game and a regular season game in the same season a few years back
    Yeah, he was coaching for us in 2003 and played in the old timers' game. Then when Jeter got banged up late in the year they re-signed him for 3 games.

Bubba Trammell resurfaces:

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...=198560&spln=1

Bubba Trammell, who hasn't played in the majors or minors since 2004, has reportedly signed a minor league deal with the Orioles.

Trammell played fairly regularly for the Padres in 2001 and 2002, had a difficult time with the Yankees in a 2003 season in which he was diagnosed with depression and then played in just 10 minor league games with the Devil Rays in 2004 before walking away. He's 35 now, and it seems like a long shot that he'll get back to the majors.
    ~John

NYYF Legend

Free agent Mark Mulder is considering offers from three teams -- the Rangers, Cleveland Indians and St. Louis Cardinals -- and Gregg Clifton, his agent, said the Rangers are strong contenders. "The Rangers have been nothing but exuberant about the possibility of Mark coming to Texas," Clifton said. "Texas has always been high on Mark's list."
    Mulder had arthroscopic surgery to repair his left rotator cuff in September, but Clifton said Mulder is ahead of schedule in his rehabilitation.
    "We're confident that he is going to have 100 percent recovery," Clifton said. "Mark may be ready to go Opening Day. But, to be fair to everybody, we've said figure on 25 starts in 2007."
    http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/16365651.htm

With little fanfare, Hee Sop Choi signed a minor league deal with the Rays.

http://tampabay.devilrays.mlb.com/NA...t=.jsp&c_id=tb

NYYF Cy Young

Did Choi ever come back from that injury he had in a game against the Yankees a bunch of years ago?

NYYF MVP

Did Choi ever come back from that injury he had in a game against the Yankees a bunch of years ago?
    Yes. He played the entire year. (2003)

NYYF Legend

Yeah, and he was eventually traded to the Marlins and Dogers the next year. In fact, he was involved in some pretty important player swaps...

November 25, 2003: Traded by the Chicago Cubs with Mike Nannini (minors) to the Florida Marlins for Derrek Lee.

July 30, 2004: Traded by the Florida Marlins with Bill Murphy (minors) and Brad Penny to the Los Angeles Dodgers for Paul Lo Duca, Guillermo Mota, and Juan Encarnacion.

To me, he's always a serviceable replacement in a crunch when a 1st baseman goes down. I enjoyed watching him at AAA-Iowa.

NYYF MVP

Oh, and he ended Scott Rolen's season in 2005.

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

Sir Sidney a Twinkie:

from rotoworld:

Twins signed RHP Sidney Ponson to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.
    Ponson will get a one-year, $1 million contract if he makes the team and could earn an additional $2 million in incentives. The 30-year-old will battle Matt Garza, Scott Baker and Glen Perkins for two rotation spots behind Johan Santana, Carlos Silva and Boof Bonser. Maybe he can be an adequate fifth starter, but it seems doubtful that he'll be of any use in AL-only leagues. Jan. 3 - 4:56 pm et
    We toast to the old days and DiMaggio too,
    Billy Martin and Mantle, Whitey Ford and to you

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...t&lid=tab1pos2

Great article on the McGwire/HOF situation. Sums up my feelings perfectly.

Loretta to Houston

Mark Loretta is going to be the super-utility Astro

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2719795
    SI: Do you have a secret ambition?
    Igawa: That's secret.

"They should just practice during the regular season and show up for the playoffs -Ichiro on the Yankees

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045

Best thing I've read from Simmons in quite a while.

As the pursuit of free agent lefthander Mark Mulder nears a resolution, Texas and Cleveland have recently upped the ante on the Cardinals. But as promised, the pitcher's agent is circling back to the Cardinals to give them a chance to revise their proposal.

The Cardinals and Mulder's agent, Gregg Clifton, could talk as soon as this afternoon, giving the Cardinals the chance to answer or counter the two-year offers on the table from the Rangers and Indians.

A one-year contract with an option remained the framework of the Cardinals' most recent offer, presented shortly before Christmas.
    http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/spo...6?OpenDocument

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045

Frankly, it seems like just another voice in America's new practice of trying to remove all personal responsibility and consequences from people. All that was missing was the "He just made a mistake!" BS that show up any time someone is accused of committing a crime. No one ever commits crimes or does anything wrong anymore. They "make mistakes" that you may or may not have made in a similar situation. And so we're not supposed to judge them on that.

Bull ................ing ................. It's completely irrelevant what I would have done. Its not about what you would have done. Its not about what Bill Simmons would have done. It's about what Mark McGwire did do.

NYYF Legend

Jake Peavy - Arrested!

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2720716

MOBILE, Ala. -- San Diego Padres pitcher Jake Peavy was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct Thursday at Mobile Regional Airport.

The 25-year-old Mobile native was taken to the Mobile County Metro Jail shortly before 7 a.m. and was released on a $350 bond, according to the jail log.

Airport Police Chief James Kincaid would not say what led to Peavy's arrest, but he told the Press-Register newspaper that "a situation presented itself and the officers involved felt like they had a situation to deal with."

Padres general manager Kevin Towers told The Associated Press he was told that Peavy was headed for a goodwill tour of the Dominican Republic with other major league players when he double-parked to drop off his bags and was told by airport police to move his car.

"The airport police told him he couldn't park his car there and he said, 'Write me up a ticket and I'll pay for it,'" Towers said. "He was arrested."
    Something tells me he said a bit more than 'Write me up a ticket and I'll pay for it' to get arrested.
    Auction League: Bitches Brew - 2006, 2007, 2008 Champs
    NYYFans.com League: Bad Apples - 2008 Champs

NYYF Legend

Here is some pure speculation to spice up the day.
    A high-level source told me the Dodgers had inquired about Beltre last summer at the trading deadline and asked the Mariners again about his availability at the winter meetings. Both times they were rebuffed. Seattle, it seems, doesn't want to part with the third baseman, even though he hasn't hit nearly as well for them as he did for the Dodgers in 2004.

I wouldn't be surprised if Dodgers General Manager Ned Colletti makes another call to the Mariners before spring training. The Mariners need starting pitching and the Dodgers have a surplus. So it's possible Seattle could reconsider, especially if Sean Burroughs somehow develops into a decent major league third baseman. The Mariners signed Burroughs on Wednesday.

Beltre has three years and $35.5 million remaining on his contract. He hit 25 home runs and batted .268 last season, which is close to his career averages in both categories. He is only 27, despite having nine seasons in the big leagues.
    http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseba...rts-mlb-dodger

Thread Information