+ Reply to Thread
Page 233 of 345 FirstFirst ... 133 183 223 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 243 283 333 ... LastLast
Results 5,801 to 5,825 of 8605

Re: Interesting Baseball News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

Barry Bonds stopped eating cheeseburgers.
    http://content.usatoday.com/communit...1#.UBHR0aO_RF4

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mxylsplk View Post
    It wasn't.
    I can't understand how calling anyone a day of the week is a racist slur. The meaning behind the insult is that Monday is the least favorite day of the week. So Carl Crawford is one of the least favorite members of the Red Sox. What's the issue here? For Carla Crawford to whine to media about the heckler shows that he does not have thick enough skin to play in a real sports town where people actually care about their team. He should have stayed in Tampa if he didn't want to be criticized or heckled.

Now this officer seems to have a history of racial insensitivity and probably deserved to be fired. Since he's one of the few people who even know that Monday is an insult means that he's part of an ugly racist sub culture that are coming up with new ways to get away with slurs that most people will not get.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    I can't understand how calling anyone a day of the week is a racist slur. The meaning behind the insult is that Monday is the least favorite day of the week. So Carl Crawford is one of the least favorite members of the Red Sox. What's the issue here? For Carla Crawford to whine to media about the heckler shows that he does not have thick enough skin to play in a real sports town where people actually care about their team. He should have stayed in Tampa if he didn't want to be criticized or heckled.
    ummmm wtf is this comment
    The Bob Loblaw Law Blog

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nnysiny View Post

Holy carp!

Apparently he wants to keep the grapes raisins.
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2015)
    Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by nnysiny View Post
    That picture is a hilarious indictment of the second half of his baseball career.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    What part do you need help on?

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I assume that it was a misprint for "monkey."
    It wasn't.
    The "monkey" theory shouldn't just be tossed aside. I don't believe the word "monkey" was misprinted as "Monday," but I can imagine it was misheard as "Monday."

Nobody has been able to convince me there is any plausible use of the word "Monday" as a racial slur. I live in New England and I've been asked by incredulous people if I'd ever heard the word used that way. In fact, one of the people who asked me is an old-time New Englander who, like many people around here, pronounces the word "Mun-dee." He said to me, "Whaddya make o' this mun-dee stuff they're talkin' about? I never heard anything like that [i.e. use of the word as a slur] before."

When you hear someone say the word in that accent, you can more easily imagine the word "monkey" being mistaken for "Monday." Until somebody comes up with a better theory of what happened, it's one of only two explanations I've heard that sound remotely plausible. (The other is that the guy simply tossed a word salad and accidentally invented a racial slur on the spot.)

Now this officer seems to have a history of racial insensitivity and probably deserved to be fired. Since he's one of the few people who even know that Monday is an insult means that he's part of an ugly racist sub culture that are coming up with new ways to get away with slurs that most people will not get.
    he deserved to be fired and did today.
    http://bostonherald.com/news/regiona...ome&position=4

the term "mondays" has to do with kkk code in that "you dont like mondays", "you hate mondays".
    substitute the "n" word for mondays.
    if you think he used the term for any other reason, then you've never been around white blue-collar New England sports fans.
    he didnt testify at his own hearing to explain himself.
    case closed.
    this now ex-cop was the 2012 version of Mark Fuhrman, any African-American in the future that he arrested would of played the race card against him and the town that employed him.

good luck finding a job with the bennies he had.

Quote Originally Posted by 4trainEddie View Post
    he deserved to be fired and did today.
    http://bostonherald.com/news/regiona...ome&position=4

the term "mondays" has to do with kkk code in that "you dont like mondays", "you hate mondays".
    substitue the "n" word for mondays.
    if you think he used the term for any other reason, then you've never been around white blue-collar New England sports fans.
    he didnt testify at his own hearing to explain himself. case closed.
    this now ex-cop was the 2012 version of Mark Fuhrman, any African-American in the future that he arrested would of played the race card against him and the town that employed him.

good luck finding a job with the bennies he had.
    I didn't see any reference to the etymology of "Monday" as a racial slur in that article, but if you have something to substantiate the history of the word's use in such a context, I'd love to see it. It's certainly new to me.

Addicted Member

This discussion regarding the racist ex copper and the extremely thin looking Barry Bonds on the same page made me recall I believe Bonds, who I can't stand by the way, saying during his playing days that he would never play in Boston cause it was the most racist sports town. I did wonder at the time how much credence there was in that statement but I dismissed it cause it was Bonds. Does anyone else recall this?

Anyway, that cop needed to go, it seems he had questionable character(outside of just this incident) and we don't need that in a person with any type of power over others. And that Barry Bonds pic... Wow.
    "Being the captain of the team, he always is there for us, and I appreciate that. He's my friend, my teammate and I love him." ~ Mariano Rivera about Derek Jeter.

NYYF Legend

Watching the late local new her in Boston. He has officially been fired. If you click the link from earlier today their is an updated store you can link to.

Thankfully I don't frequent blue collar white sports bars in Boston so Monday is just the beginning of the work week to me. The guys on the Sports Hub were clueless as to why it is considered a slur as well. They found a youtube of a comedian who explained the meaning behind the slur.

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    I didn't see any reference to the etymology of "Monday" as a racial slur in that article, but if you have something to substantiate the history of the word's use in such a context, I'd love to see it. It's certainly new to me.
    its the wikipedia of slang, but here
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=mondays
    from last night when I first looked it up there, until now,
    people have edited it to really emphasise its racial tone.

people in the room probably would have laughed out loud if this cop would have tried to explain away the term "mondays" at his hearing.
    thats why he let his lawyer do all the talking, or his lawyer told him, if you open your mouth, I'm not your lawyer anymore.

http://www.wcvb.com/news/local/centr...r/-/index.html

YouTube "Russell Peters Mondays."

I was going to post the link but I'd probably get suspended.

I'd heard about this, but hadn't previously heard the details of what he said to Crawford. Has anyone ever heard of calling someone a "monday" as a racial slur against blacks? The interwebs tell me it's a real, if uncommon thing, but it's new to me. Anyone else familiar with it?
    Of the many racial slurs I've heard, particularly when I lived in the south, "Monday" was never among them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post

In one clip, dated Feb 18, 2011, called "Nobody Likes Mondays," Peters mentions that he heard that term (a code for black people) when he was visiting Boston.

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    In one clip, dated Feb 18, 2011, called "Nobody Likes Mondays," Peters mentions that he heard that term (a code for black people) when he was visiting Boston.
    Yup. That was the clip that I was watching.

NYYF Cy Young

I guess I just didn't realize that if white people have never heard a particular slur, then blacks didn't have the right to be offended about it!!! wooowww
    The Bob Loblaw Law Blog

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    So the use of the term "Monday" is pretty much confined to the Boston/New England area?

TGIF.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

I guess I just didn't realize that if white people have never heard a particular slur, then blacks didn't have the right to be offended about it!!! wooowww
    For a while in college, I took a contrarian stand (Me? Contrarian? Crazy, right?!) that an educated, intelligent, honest, hard-working black person should not take offense at a racial slur. After all, what does it mean when someone calls you a racial slur? It means that they acknowledge that you're of a certain race, and that they hate members of that race. Why should I take offense at that? I'm not ashamed of being black. All someone is really saying when they call you a racial slur is "hey everyone, I'm ignorant trash!"

And yet, when it happens... let's just say that it's hard to be quite so objective.

Quote Originally Posted by 35Knucklecurve View Post
    So the use of the term "Monday" is pretty much confined to the Boston/New England area?
    Maybe. It's possible Bob Geldof was really really racist.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post

Thanks, that helps.

The Washington Nationals read "50 shades of grey"

http://now.msn.com/mlb-pitchers-read...-grey-out-loud

Maybe. It's possible Bob Geldof was really really racist.

Sheets

6 IP, 6 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 4 K

3-0, 0.50 since signing with ATL
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

Happy Holidays!! b-ball-lunachick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BRNXBMRS View Post
    The Washington Nationals read "50 shades of grey"

http://now.msn.com/mlb-pitchers-read...-grey-out-loud
    Clippard

seriously

so glad that cop lost his job...

Thread Information