+ Reply to Thread
Page 226 of 341 FirstFirst ... 126 176 216 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 236 276 326 ... LastLast
Results 5,626 to 5,650 of 8504
    NYYF Legend

Re: Interesting Baseball News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

I used to like Maddon until he had no problem with breaking the unwritten rules when Cervelli got taken out in a spring training game...and actually encouraged his players to do whatever necessary to make the team. eff him. I respect what he does and think he's a good manager but I don't like him...

I'm still laughing at Davey Johnson for calling him a weird wuss.
    "Happiness is...a thumb and a blanket."

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by b-ball-lunachick View Post
    I used to like Maddon until he had no problem with breaking the unwritten rules when Cervelli got taken out in a spring training game...and actually encouraged his players to do whatever necessary to make the team. eff him. I respect what he does and think he's a good manager but I don't like him...

I'm still laughing at Davey Johnson for calling him a weird wuss.
    Davey Johnson has that bone dry sense of humor I like. The expression on his face doesn't change when he makes those kinds of comments. I absolutely love the fact that he faxed his resignation to Angleos when he quit the O's.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

Here's a headline for you: The Miami Marlins suck.

In addition to having the 3rd worst run differential in MLB, they've lost 14 of their last 16, including 5 of 6 to the Rays and 5 of 6 to the Red Sox.

And I'm left with this question: Why the heck did the Yankees play the Braves twice and the Mets twice but NOT play the Marlins once, when Boston and Tampa Bay both played the Marlins TWICE?

What kind of an unfair, unbalanced kind of interleague schedule is that? Teams in the same division should all play very similar interleague schedules.

Yes, I'd be saying this even if it worked out to the Yankees advantage.

Bud Selig, that dope, claims that the new wild card format gives better rewards to the division winners, yet this kind of moronic interleague scheduling only lessens the divisional balance of competition. In a division like the AL East that's hotly contested, having an interleague schedule that's so desperate can pretty much be the difference between winning the division and finishing in 2nd. That shouldn't happen.

NYYF MVP

Hope it was just a migrane and he's ok -- Rangers' PBP Announcer talking Gibberish
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=zo4MVCRvFSY

Quote Originally Posted by AuroraBomberalis View Post
    Teams in the same division should all play very similar interleague schedules.
    That's absolutely true especially with the one-and-done wildcard playoff.

One might think that by equalizing the leagues at 15 teams each with three divisions of five teams each that schedules for the teams within each division would be identical. One might think. But nnoooo ... Bud wants to keep the "traditional rivalries" which will continue to make for uneven scheduling within each division.
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do. - Joe Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Man View Post
    That's absolutely true especially with the one-and-done wildcard playoff.

One might think that by equalizing the leagues at 15 teams each with three divisions of five teams each that schedules for the teams within each division would be identical. One might think. But nnoooo ... Bud wants to keep the "traditional rivalries" which will continue to make for uneven scheduling within each division.
    Yeah, exactly. Interleague play shouldn't even exist.

Go back to the two division format, have the first place team in each division be the winners, and have the 2nd and 3rd place teams in each division be wild cards.

Better yet, stay with the 4 team playoff system, and instead of a 5 game first round (or worse yet a 1 game coin flip like they have this year), have a 7 game first round. Idiots.

It's because everyone keeps saying Gioncarlo's name wrong.

It's pronounced: John-Carlo
    Not gee-on-carlo
    You're a stranger til she whispers you can stay.
    You're a stranger til she whispers that your journey's over.

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post

Not gee-on-carlo
    The mispronunciation has been bugging me too. You've got it right.
    Of course, life was much easier when it was just Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by HerbieLee20 View Post
    Hope it was just a migrane and he's ok -- Rangers' PBP Announcer talking Gibberish
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=zo4MVCRvFSY
    What the hell was that lmao
    Twenty Seven and Counting.

NYYF Legend

Not gee-on-carlo
    you're a john-carlo!

Quote Originally Posted by gregzzy22 View Post
    What the hell was that lmao
    i hope it wasn't a stroke.
    "Happiness is...a thumb and a blanket."

NYYF Legend

In addition to having the 3rd worst run differential in MLB, they've lost 14 of their last 16, including 5 of 6 to the Rays and 5 of 6 to the Red Sox.

And I'm left with this question: Why the heck did the Yankees play the Braves twice and the Mets twice but NOT play the Marlins once, when Boston and Tampa Bay both played the Marlins TWICE?

What kind of an unfair, unbalanced kind of interleague schedule is that? Teams in the same division should all play very similar interleague schedules.

Yes, I'd be saying this even if it worked out to the Yankees advantage.

Bud Selig, that dope, claims that the new wild card format gives better rewards to the division winners, yet this kind of moronic interleague scheduling only lessens the divisional balance of competition. In a division like the AL East that's hotly contested, having an interleague schedule that's so desperate can pretty much be the difference between winning the division and finishing in 2nd. That shouldn't happen.
    You mean "disparate," not "desperate," but I agree completely. I've been wondering the same thing myself, and I can't ever recall a season when the Yankees played any team twice during Interleage ... besides the Mets, which is bad enough.

Every time I looked at the scoreboard during this period, it seemed one of the Yankees' AL East rivals was beating up on the Miami Marlins. Or the Missings In Action, as I've come to think of them.

Why do they keep announcing that Jim Thome has just become the all-time leader in walk-off home runs? Mickey Mantle has 13 as well, 12 in the regular season & 1 in the World Series.

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    You mean "disparate," not "desperate,"
    I don't know what the heck happened there, because that's the word I meant to write. Maybe it was a Freudian slip, projecting my own issues into my typing

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NYYankeesFan92 View Post
    Why do they keep announcing that Jim Thome has just become the all-time leader in walk-off home runs? Mickey Mantle has 13 as well, 12 in the regular season & 1 in the World Series.
    'Cause they never count postseason stats in this kind of record chasing. Or else Mariano would have become the all-time saves leader much sooner than he did!

NYYF Legend

I don't know what the heck happened there, because that's the word I meant to write. Maybe it was a Freudian slip, projecting my own issues into my typing
    Yeah, I almost called it a "Freudian slip" myself!

I can't believe after the tantrum that Josh Outman threw yesterday when being taken out that Jim Tracy has any patience for him. What he did was completely unprofessional and even the best of the best do not show up their manager on the mound. He should either be traded or demoted. I usually am all for showing passion and your anger for failing but no one shows up their manager on the mound. No one. Especially when you're name is Josh Outman. Who? Exactly.

Clearly frustrated, Outman slammed his glove, yelled a word that would designate the game 'R' rated, handed the ball to Tracy, then, much to anyone watching's surprise, bumped Tracy on his way off the mound. As upset as Outman was, there is very little doubt that the bump was unintentional.
    http://www.rockiesreview.com/2012/06...runs.html#more

It may have been unintentional, but everything about the situation is really bad on Outman's side.

NYYF Legend

I can't believe after the tantrum that Josh Outman threw yesterday when being taken out that Jim Tracy has any patience for him. What he did was completely unprofessional and even the best of the best do not show up their manager on the mound. He should either be traded or demoted. I usually am all for showing passion and your anger for failing but no one shows up their manager on the mound. No one. Especially when you're name is Josh Outman. Who? Exactly.
    Anyone remember Mike DeJean getting into a heated argument with his manager about 8-9 years ago. I think he was with the Brewers at the time.

Addicted Member

Cliff Lee loses again. Still winless at 0-4. I wonder how he likes playing for the Phillies now.

Quote Originally Posted by NY Dude View Post
    Cliff Lee loses again. Still winless at 0-4. I wonder how he likes playing for the Phillies now.
    I am stunned. I would have never thought this possible. They are terrible without Howard and Utley.

Quote Originally Posted by NY Dude View Post
    LOL he looks like a clown now. No hes not responsible for the injuries, but hes still responsible for that bs he was spewing
    Twenty Seven and Counting.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by b-ball-lunachick View Post
    you're a john-carlo!

i hope it wasn't a stroke.
    I hope it wasn't a stroke too. If you've never had a migraine, it's difficult to understand/describe what it feels like. It's enough to drop a horse sometimes. I've never used "weird wording" as Barnett did, but I have found myself losing a couple of seconds where I seem to freeze. I also get abortive migraines - that is no fun either. The migraine starts and then.....wham - it slams on the breaks. You feel as though you have to grab onto the chair, table or anything to keep from falling. I haven't seen anything but further but his on the follow-up with Barnett, but I am hoping it was a migraine.

http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/news/ar...r_tex&c_id=tex

NYYF Legend

Code:
    Year      AL  NL    AL%
    -----------------------
    1997      97  117  .453
    1998     114  110  .509
    1999     116  135  .462
    2000     136  115  .542
    2001     132  120  .524
    2002     123  129  .488
    2003     115  137  .456
    2004     127  125  .504
    2005     136  116  .540
    2006     154   98  .611
    2007     137  115  .544
    2008     149  103  .591
    2009     138  114  .548
    2010     134  118  .532
    2011     131  121  .520
    2012     142  110  .563
    -----------------------
    Total   2081 1883  .525
    3rd best year ever for the AL and 9th consecutive season the AL has won the interleague series.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/3403/marlon-byrd

Marlon Byrd hit with 50 game suspension. I guess some perfromance enhancers just don't work.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

I am still shocked anytime I hear about people failing. It makes me think there are things that people are doing and getting away with and technology is slowly catching up.

Anyway, over the last two days I have seen some weird sh!t. Dickey apologized to A-Rod for knocking him down. Strasburg hit Scutaro in the head tonight and you could see how bad he felt. Are pitchers getting soft? I'm used to guys just turning around and going about their business and commenting after the game. To see these reactions right away are odd.

NYYF Legend

I am still shocked anytime I hear about people failing. It makes me think there are things that people are doing and getting away with and technology is slowly catching up.

Anyway, over the last two days I have seen some weird sh!t. Dickey apologized to A-Rod for knocking him down. Strasburg hit Scutaro in the head tonight and you could see how bad he felt. Are pitchers getting soft? I'm used to guys just turning around and going about their business and commenting after the game. To see these reactions right away are odd.
    While I agree that pitchers didn't always show remorse for hitting someone, I don't think it means pitchers are getting soft. If you hit someone in the head with a baseball, I would hope you'd show some concern at that moment. It's a natural reaction - at least I'd like to think so. After Sandy Alomar's line drive hit Mike in the head, he was so devastated he never faced him in the batter's box again - he'd say his knees were bothering him or something else on that day. In both cases, it was an accident, but the player still felt responsible. A-Rod sat on the dirt and laughed after escaping a blow, so I assume he thought Dickey didn't intend to come that close. It used to also be that you very rarely saw players from opposing teams socializing before a game or God forbid, talking to the opposing first baseman between pitches. Now you see it all the time, but it doesn't appear to have taken anything away from the level of competition, IMO.

Thread Information