+ Reply to Thread
Page 209 of 332 FirstFirst ... 109 159 199 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 219 259 309 ... LastLast
Results 5,201 to 5,225 of 8279

Re: Interesting Baseball News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeefan3783 View Post
    MLB playoffs now expanded to 10 teams. Seems more like game 163 then playoffs. Still think I'd rather keep it how it was then expanding like they did, but whatever.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/M...tseason-022912
    If I want to make one-tweak in the postseason schedule, make the LDS a 7-game series.

Oh well. I won't be complaining much if the Yankees win more world series in this format.
    "Losing is not my enemy, fear of losing is my enemy." - Tennis champion Rafael Nadal

Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayBomber55 View Post
    If I want to make one-tweak in the postseason schedule, make the LDS a 7-game series.

Oh well. I won't be complaining much if the Yankees win more world series in this format.
    Good idea not spoiling your opinion for everyone.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeefan3783 View Post
    MLB playoffs now expanded to 10 teams. Seems more like game 163 then playoffs. Still think I'd rather keep it how it was then expanding like they did, but whatever.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/M...tseason-022912
    This sucks. I was hoping they'd hold off until 2013. The AL playoff race this year with just 1 WC would have been epic.
    Plays the game the wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    True, although many people hated the intro of the wildcard format and that scenario wouldn't have played out without a wild card either. I'm willing to give the new format a shot. Who knows, the excitement of an elimination game could add something, and it should motivate teams to gun for the division titles a little harder.
    I still feel that way. The wild card would have made the 1978 playoff game unnecessary, which is argument enough against it for me. The "excitement" of a battle for a wild card spot is nothing compared with the excitement of a real pennant race.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I still feel that way. The wild card would have made the 1978 playoff game unnecessary, which is argument enough against it for me. The "excitement" of a battle for a wild card spot is nothing compared with the excitement of a real pennant race.
    I'm not a fan of the wild card but I realize it's here to stay and this added wild card team and the one game winner continues on format intrigues me.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    I'm not a fan of the wild card but I realize it's here to stay and this added wild card team and the one game winner continues on format intrigues me.
    Yes, I know it's here to stay. I just find it a little amusing when people say that some new system would rob us of the electrifying excitement of those battles for second place.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

BryanHoch RT @MLB: BREAKING: @Pirates RHP A.J. Burnett diagnosed with orbital fracture of his right eye, will undergo surgery tomorrow in Pittsburgh.

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by roblyo33 View Post
    BryanHoch RT @MLB: BREAKING: @Pirates RHP A.J. Burnett diagnosed with orbital fracture of his right eye, will undergo surgery tomorrow in Pittsburgh.
    Here's hoping AJ comes back from this ok. Wish him well

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    Good idea not spoiling your opinion for everyone.
    Don't worry. The Yankees won more World Series (5) since the LDS was added in the 1995 season. Only the Red Sox, Marlins and Cardinals are the other teams that have won at least 2X.
    Last edited by BroadwayBomber55; 03-01-12 at 01:53 PM.
    "Losing is not my enemy, fear of losing is my enemy." - Tennis champion Rafael Nadal

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I don't disagree. I was really just commenting on the irony of the post I was replying to. Last year's exciting final days of the regular season wouldn't have mattered at all if the wildcard was never introduced to begin with.

I actually don't really mind the wild card much. It's interesting for a Yankee fan, because since it's inception and probably for the immediate future it almost assures a playoff appearance barring a string of serious injuries/issues. But it also pushes the team into 5 game series which are always dicey.

If I was a fan of any AL East team not named the Yankees and maybe the Sox, I'd probably be very pleased with the wildcard. I'm sure there are plenty of exceptions to that, but in general I'd bet it's true. Many teams just have felt hopeless in their playoff aspirations, and it has provided a little excitement here and there since inception since a runaway team in a division doesn't absolutely exclude other good teams from competing for a spot.

Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayBomber55 View Post
    The Yankees won more World Series (5) since the LDS was added in the 1995 season. Only the Red Sox and Cardinals are the other teams that have won at least 2X.
    Yeah, I kind of want to block 2003 from my memory too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mxylsplk View Post
    Yeah, I kind of want to block 2003 from my memory too.
    I forgot one team, okay.

NYYF Legend

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index..._sizemore.html
    GOODYEAR, Ariz. -- Grady Sizemore, the Indians oft-injured center fielder, underwent back surgery this morning in Miami.
    The surgery was called minimally invasive and it should take him eight to 12 weeks to recover. Dr. Barth Green of the University of Miami School Medicine performed the operation.
    The surgery is called a microdiscectomy.
    I'm sorry to read this. I'd like to see him at his best again but it would seem that those days are in the rear view mirror.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    True, although many people hated the intro of the wildcard format and that scenario wouldn't have played out without a wild card either. I'm willing to give the new format a shot. Who knows, the excitement of an elimination game could add something, and it should motivate teams to gun for the division titles a little harder.
    I see both sides of the argument. I mean it's stuipd to have a 1 game playoff in baseball where the best team doesn't win every day, but on the other hand, now that other team at least has a shot to go further that they didn't have before.

The odds of what happened the last night of last season ever happening again are well over 1,000,000 to 1 so I'm not going to use that argument against this change.

Former #1 overall pick

Brien McKeiver Taylor, 40, of Beaufort was arrested Thursday as the Carteret County Sheriff’s Office and the Morehead City Police Department wrapped up an operation during which undercover narcotics agents purchased a large quantity of cocaine and crack cocaine from Taylor over a period of several months, according to the CCSO news release.

http://www.jdnews.com/articles/charg...afficking.html
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    Sigh. I don't imagine there could be more than one 40-year-old Brien M. Taylor in Beaufort, NC, could there?
    - Barry Manilow

His wikipedia page is pretty depressing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brien_Taylor
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

he mustve gotten sick of driving the same Mustang since he signed

NYYF Legend

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-bi...212749120.html
    Detroit Tigers slugger Prince Fielder, during a round of batting practice Wednesday, reportedly hit a ball 611 feet — a distance measured by longtime Detroit News scribe Tom Gage.

His wikipedia page is pretty depressing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brien_Taylor
    Especially this part:

In 1995 he pitched for the Yankees Gulf Coast League team, and walked 54 batters in 40 innings. In 1996 he pitched for the Single-A Greensboro Bats, and walked 43 batters in 16 13 innings, going 0-5 with an 18.73 ERA. At Greensboro again in 1997, he walked 52 batters in 27 innings, going 1-4 with a 14.33 ERA.
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do. - Joe Walsh

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Man View Post
    Especially this part:

Without his #1 overall status and signing bonus he would have been let go a lot earlier than 97.

Toronto Blue Jays catcher J.P. Arencibia does his best impression of ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian.:

http://espn.go.com/espn/page2/index?id=7637114
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Toronto Blue Jays catcher J.P. Arencibia does his best impression of ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian.:

http://espn.go.com/espn/page2/index?id=7637114
    That was pretty funny. I always liked Kurkjian.

And rebuttal (albeit from Papelbon).

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=763...goryid=2378529
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    That was pretty funny. I always liked Kurkjian.
    that was done very well. whenever i hear a squeaky voice on the radio (Mad Dog, Carton, Lupica) i feel like impersonating them

Thread Information