+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    NYYF MVP

I don't get YES and I love it!

I'm down in Washington DC, and I get the MLB package on Dish Network. It doesn't televise YES broadcasts, but I get every Yankee game on the network of the opposing team....and I absolutely LOVE it!

Am I the only only one in this situation? I hear a lot about YES being Al-Yankzeera state-run television, with nothing negative allowed to be said, and with George's barb's at Torre being fed to the interviewers on the post-game show, and all of that propaganda. I would absolutely despise that kind of blind homerism....on the other hand, the "foreign" broadcast crews are very good, the local color guys are outstanding (I love Rex Hudler with the Angels and Jerry Remy with the Red Sox), and surprisingly, the foreign crews are often very knowledgeable about the Yankees, often respectful, and alwas have unique perspectives to iffer.

Believe it or not, I also enjoy the local commercials. The offer a nice flavor of the local community -- restaurants, car dealerships, law firms. I guess I can live without YES, and I still get every Yankee broadcast.

Released Outright

Re: I don't get YES and I love it!

I don't mind YES. Michael Kay will never make a truly negative comment but others will speak their minds especially Jim Kaat. I don't get the MLB package but I do enjoy the home team broadcasts that XM provides for the same reasons you stated.

NYYF Legend

That's more Bob Raissmann talking out of his ass, YES isn't THAT homerific. Sure, it is to some extent, but not to the extent you've heard of.

NYYF MVP

I really enjoyed last night's Angels broadcast. Rex Hudler pointed out that Jeter was only the second-ever Yankee shortstop drafted in the first round -- Hudler was the first! "Hud" said the best 7 years of his career were the first 7 with the Yankees. I love hearing that from the opposing team's broadcast crew....

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainThurman
    I'm down in Washington DC, and I get the MLB package on Dish Network. It doesn't televise YES broadcasts, but I get every Yankee game on the network of the opposing team....and I absolutely LOVE it!

Am I the only only one in this situation? I hear a lot about YES being Al-Yankzeera state-run television, with nothing negative allowed to be said, and with George's barb's at Torre being fed to the interviewers on the post-game show, and all of that propaganda. I would absolutely despise that kind of blind homerism....on the other hand, the "foreign" broadcast crews are very good, the local color guys are outstanding (I love Rex Hudler with the Angels and Jerry Remy with the Red Sox), and surprisingly, the foreign crews are often very knowledgeable about the Yankees, often respectful, and alwas have unique perspectives to iffer.

Believe it or not, I also enjoy the local commercials. The offer a nice flavor of the local community -- restaurants, car dealerships, law firms. I guess I can live without YES, and I still get every Yankee broadcast.
    I think that will change once the Yankees return home. Extra Innings usually shows the home teams broadcast unless its being shown on an over the air channel, in which case they show the road teams' broadcast.
    I would expect to see the YES broadcast on Extra Innings starting on Tuesday.

NYYF MVP

Wait until you have to hear Central Division teams' broadcasters and then tell me how much you enjoy it.

And I'm also not masochistic enough to want to hear my team trashed while I'm trying to watch the game. I know where and how they suck; I don't need some peckerwood pointing it out to me.
    I wanna be a New York RANGER, I wanna live a life of DANGER

Also, without YES you miss out on Yankeeography, Yankees Classics, and other cool Yankee oriented shows they air regularly. As a Yankee fan, I find it hard to imagine loving not having all these shows at your disposal.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by THe Mick 7
    Also, without YES you miss out on Yankeeography, Yankees Classics, and other cool Yankee oriented shows they air regularly. As a Yankee fan, I find it hard to imagine loving not having all these shows at your disposal.
    That's what I miss about not having YES. I like watching the Yanks on EI but one of these years I'm going to have to break down and buy a dish so I can get it. As I understand it, I'd still have to buy the EI package to watch the Yanks due to blackouts.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisV82
    Wait until you have to hear Central Division teams' broadcasters and then tell me how much you enjoy it.

And I'm also not masochistic enough to want to hear my team trashed while I'm trying to watch the game. I know where and how they suck; I don't need some peckerwood pointing it out to me.

This made me laugh...thanks.

NYYF Legend

I really enjoyed last night's Angels broadcast. Rex Hudler pointed out that Jeter was only the second-ever Yankee shortstop drafted in the first round -- Hudler was the first! "Hud" said the best 7 years of his career were the first 7 with the Yankees. I love hearing that from the opposing team's broadcast crew....
    I enjoy Hudler in limited doses.

Unfortunatly, I hear way too much of the Angel's crew by geographic default. His partner, Steve Phisioc, is, bar none, the very worst play by play guy that I've ever heard. Listen closely. He is really nothing but a nine inning, running commercial for the Angels. He is physically incapable of making it through an entire broadcast without reminding the audience of the 2002 World Championship (I have actually wondered if he is contractually obligated to do so). I have placed and won many bar bets on this. It is actually humorous to hear how he manages to bring it up in the context of the game and his conversation with Hudler.

Rant over. How is it that your MLBEI never uses the Yes feed? I get it (and enjoy it) at least half the time.

NYYF Legend

For real! I'm watching the Chisox-Royals game on mlb.tv, and they are giving the Chisox broadcast on WGN. Anyway, Mike Sweeney just hit a homer to give the Royals a 1 run lead in the bottom of the eighth....the Sox announcer's call went like this:

that ball is deep...(the ball lands in the seats) that ball is deep.

I thought the announcer was gonna kill himself he was so depressed. For all the grief Kay gets about his supposed homerism he's nowhere near as bad as that guy!
    Dem ol' grimy Jets...

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by PlsDontTearDownY.S.
    For real! I'm watching the Chisox-Royals game on mlb.tv, and they are giving the Chisox broadcast on WGN. Anyway, Mike Sweeney just hit a homer to give the Royals a 1 run lead in the bottom of the eighth....the Sox announcer's call went like this:

I thought the announcer was gonna kill himself he was so depressed. For all the grief Kay gets about his supposed homerism he's nowhere near as bad as that guy!
    Hawk Harrelson: That ball is deep..mark that one down.

Not having YES would suck. I had to live without it last year and I was not happy about that.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by THe Mick 7
    Considering the fact that none of these programs are available to viewers of the YES network outside the Yankees' broadcasting area, its not a loss.

I had DirecTV with MLB EI for over four years. The last two and one-half years, everything Yankee related on the YES network, except classic rebroadcasts, were blacked out. Yankeeography, Yankee Magazine, even the Yankee memorabellia show were unavailable.

Totally frustrating that MLB would make the YES network pay for the ability to have their broadcasts associated with their team outside their area in this day and age.

This season, I am going with MLB.tv - half the price and they tend to pick up the Friday night over the air broadcasts.

NYYF Legend

If Kay didn't do the games I'd enjoy yes alot more.

NYYF Legend

It's extremely difficult for me to listen to the Chisox announcers. He Gone!

NYYF Legend

Forest Lawn Memorial Park - Plot: Court of Freedom Block 7060 Lot 6-A

I love YES. I'd have a hard time living w/o it.
    3 4 5 7 8 10 16 37

It's not as bad as mnay people make it out to be. I actually enjoy most of the broadcasters, especially Singleton and Kaat.
    "I'd like to thank the Good Lord for making me a Yankee."

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan
    This season, I am going with MLB.tv - half the price and they tend to pick up the Friday night over the air broadcasts.
    No HD and it's pretty choppy.

NYYF Triple Crown

I get YES if Extra Innings streams it through YES, and I love YES! I used to have it but I lost my source.

Unfortunately, I don't have any cool stations that allow me to watch the Yanks whenever I want... *cries*
    All I have is MLB gameday, ahaha, and whenever they're on the major networks. It's depressing.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan
    Considering the fact that none of these programs are available to viewers of the YES network outside the Yankees' broadcasting area, its not a loss.

I had DirecTV with MLB EI for over four years. The last two and one-half years, everything Yankee related on the YES network, except classic rebroadcasts, were blacked out. Yankeeography, Yankee Magazine, even the Yankee memorabellia show were unavailable.

Totally frustrating that MLB would make the YES network pay for the ability to have their broadcasts associated with their team outside their area in this day and age.

I believe if you pay for the MLB package AND the sports network package, you get most of the Yankees stuff - I still get replays of the last game and certain Yankee-centric stuff blacked out, but I can still watch most of it. Still...it's a lot of money for all of that, and pretty ridiculous I have to subscribe to DirecTV and pay twice more just to watch programming on a single channel.
    I wanna be a New York RANGER, I wanna live a life of DANGER

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by PlsDontTearDownY.S.

You know what's great about MLBtv...I could go look that up...it's freaking hilarious....he just gets done talking about how they won close games last year, struggled in the close ones so far - it's 3-2, 1 on with Sweeney up

that ball hit deep....that ball hit deep...........................................................................KC Crowd Cheering.............and Mike Sweeney continues to kill our White Sox

ANd how they refer to the White Sox as "our guys" or "good guys".....

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Hunter23
    No HD and it's pretty choppy.
    I will grant you the lack of HD, although I could care less about HDTV, as I have better things to do with my money than spend ungodly dollars on a television when I can buy one of $79.99 (as I recently did).

As far as the choppiness, then you need to check your internet connection. I watched last night's game over a cable modem and wireless connection with absolutely NO choppiness whatsoever.

Granted, the quality of the picture is not the greatest, but it has improved tremendously over the years.

I believe if you pay for the MLB package AND the sports network package, you get most of the Yankees stuff - I still get replays of the last game and certain Yankee-centric stuff blacked out, but I can still watch most of it. Still...it's a lot of money for all of that, and pretty ridiculous I have to subscribe to DirecTV and pay twice more just to watch programming on a single channel.
    Chris -

You list your location as Philadelphia, but that can capture a wide berth.

I live in extreme southern Chester County - had DirecTV, the Sports Pack & MLB EI.

No replays of the Yankees games
    No Yankeeography
    No Yankees Magazine
    No Yankees Hot Stove
    Recently, even no Steiner memorabilia show

What I got was a lot of blank screen with the "This Program is not available in your area" message.

The first 1 1/2 years I had DirecTV, it was great - I got everything Yankee related. Then MLB began enforcing whatever rule it has about broadcasting things MLB related outside your area and I slowly began losing programming. First the replay of the games, then basically anything with the title "Yankee" in it.

I had no other need for the Sports Pack except the YES network - goodbye $144 per year. If I can't watch the game live, good bye MLB EI at $160 per year.

Recently, I moved down to NE MD - got rid of my DirecTV and landline (needed for DirecTV). Totalled up the entirety of my costs for TV & internet (I had Comcast basic cable and internet at the old address) and I am saving almost $70 per month - enough to virtually pay for my mlb.tv subscription the first month.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Chinroku_sama
    Unfortunately, I don't have any cool stations that allow me to watch the Yanks whenever I want... *cries*
    All I have is MLB gameday, ahaha, and whenever they're on the major networks. It's depressing.
    If you have a cable internet connection, take a shot at the mlb.tv subscription - you can get it for $15/month and $80/season, so you can always try it for a month and cancel if it doesn't work for you.

One other nice thing about the mlb.tv that differs from MLB EI - they pick up over the air broadcasts when no sportsnet broadcasts are available. Last season, I watched many of the Friday night games on mlb.tv for that exact reason.

Most opposing team's announcers make me want to stab myself in the ear drums with needles.
    Metallica. Screaming crowd. Jog to the mound. Game over. - Chad Jennings

Thread Information