+ Reply to Thread

"Sandman" Controversy put to rest

Quote Originally Posted by www.Yankees.com
    "I think it's funny," Rivera said. "To the people that are fighting over this, I appreciate the loyalty."

Rivera, who met Metallica singer James Hetfield last season at Yankee Stadium, admitted that he doesn't listen to Metallica, opting instead for Christian music on his iPod. That said, Rivera has become a fan of the song after hearing it at the stadium for the past seven years.

As for Wagner's use of "Enter Sandman," Rivera believes that the song is big enough for both of them to use.

"He's a great guy and he has all my respect," Rivera said. "I don't mind it at all. If the guy feels comfortable using the song, let him be."
    Personally, I feel it's big enough for the both of them in baseball, but being a Yankees fan, I think Wagner should let it go and give it to Mo outright...

Now college football, well Enter Sandman should be reserved exclusively for the school whose entrances were made famous by the tune.... Virginia Tech.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enter_Sandman

NYYF Legend

Re: "Sandman" Controversy put to rest

Theres already a few other threads on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeeah
    Theres already a few other threads on this.
    It's alright, we need more. Hopefully it tops the record set by threads referring to the WBC.

NYYF Legend

NYC or 2.77 miles from the greatest stadium on earth

Quote Originally Posted by Panamaniac42
    It's alright, we need more. Hopefully it tops the record set by threads referring to the WBC.
    No thread, I mean NO THREAD can top the amount of Beltran threads.
    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Yeah, I'm definitely straight, but I might have made an exception for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam18
    Haha I wasn't here yet. I can only imagine

With every quote from Mariano Rivera, I am more taken with his good humor, common sense, perspective, and decency. He represents everything that is good in baseball.

NYYF Legend

Oh thank God, now I can sleep again.
    “I may not have been the best Yankee to put on the pinstripes, but I am the proudest.”
    - Billy Martin

As long as Mariano uses it more often than anyone, I don't care if every closer in baseball uses the song.

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

You obviously weren't around when Tino was being replaced by Giambi. We had an entire sub-FORUM* exclusively dedicated just to who's on 1st. No kidding.

After countless and endless thread about the latest Red Sox player who'd sneezed, ordered a steak for lunch, given $10 to the local charity, woken up in the morning and kissed the wife, drove to the stadium on time, I can say there've been tons of threads that had greater numbers than Beltran.

Pedro's arm falling off not only had countless threads, it also had countless sig lines also.
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Named Fred
    As long as Mariano uses it more often than anyone, I don't care if every closer in baseball uses the song.
    Wagner will get the same number of chances. He just won't convert the same amount.
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

I don't know if there is a thread about this yet, but in addition to the Enter Sandman controversy, I heard on The Fan that the fans at Shea were doing "role call" before last night's game. So many Mets fans hate us, yet they want to emulate us.

Yankee Fan since May 9,1962 jimmyclark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cattledog
    I don't know if there is a thread about this yet, but in addition to the Enter Sandman controversy, I heard on The Fan that the fans at Shea were doing "role call" before last night's game. So many Mets fans hate us, yet they want to emulate us.
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Four bucks and two underground trains away from my Bleacher seat

I never thought this was a big deal, from a Yankee fan's perspective. I'm just surprised that Mets fans wouldn't want to be more original. I mean, if we traded for a big Japanese power pitcher whose nickname tranlated as "Tom Terrific," wouldn't we gently suggest that he ask Yogi to give him a new one?

Just seems like they'd want to do something different.

I suggest they use some Richard Wagner.

I don't care what song he uses. Its always going to be ascociated more with Rivera, both guys know that and are both laughing at all the foolish fans on both sides who are making issure of it.

NYYF MVP

Perhaps, Met fans just want to feel more at home when they visit Yankeee stadium...
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=Navy][FONT=Verdana]Mastery is identifying the gap and filling it in.[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ButSeriouslyFolks
    I don't care what song he uses. Its always going to be ascociated more with Rivera, both guys know that and are both laughing at all the foolish fans on both sides who are making issure of it.
    It's associated more with Rivera by Yankee fans. But Wagner choose the song as his entrance music in 1996 and has pitchedover 550 games since then (I don't know how many were home games). Sandman was CHOSEN for Rivera by Yankee management in 1999 and since then Mo has pitched in about 4550 games (I don't know how many were home games).
    So tell me why doesn't Wagner have the right to use the song he chose? And give that priveledge solely to Mo who really didn't care? What are you arguing for?

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee
    You obviously weren't around when Tino was being replaced by Giambi. We had an entire sub-FORUM* exclusively dedicated just to who's on 1st. No kidding.

After countless and endless thread about the latest Red Sox player who'd sneezed, ordered a steak for lunch, given $10 to the local charity, woken up in the morning and kissed the wife, drove to the stadium on time, I can say there've been tons of threads that had greater numbers than Beltran.

Pedro's arm falling off not only had countless threads, it also had countless sig lines also.
    remember bronxbombers.com?
    I think that is just beginning of season 'fans' trying to be cool. There are dumb fans found in every ballpark at this time of the year because they never watch a game any other time than the first game of the year.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3781412.html
    I saw it from this article
    Some people are just ignorant. I had heard about how Bagwell changed Wagner's song by surprise and took it from Mariano's song. Who cares if he took his song? I think Mike and the Mad Dog thought they would be turning a brand new story with the song, but it was just old.
    Nome, not only did I read about how Bagwell changed it for Wagner in the above article, but I had heard the story a while ago (I've got both Enter Sandman and Welcome to the Jungle (popular opening songs) on my iPod and I know the history of both) and I know Bagwell got the song from MO.
    In the end, its not a big deal at all, just the media trying to make a story when there is none.
    [FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][SIZE=2]"Hitters get paid a lot of money to hit. Let's face it, man, sometimes they just do." - Andy Pettitte
    [/SIZE] [/SIZE][/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by Squid
    I suggest they use some Richard Wagner.
    Ahahaa, now THAT would be awesome. Maybe get a little Tristan und Isolde or something from his Ring cycle. Baseball theme music would take on a whole new meaning. XD

Quote Originally Posted by nojoke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cattledog

I think that is just beginning of season 'fans' trying to be cool. There are dumb fans found in every ballpark at this time of the year because they never watch a game any other time than the first game of the year. I think that is just beginning of season 'fans' trying to be cool. There are dumb fans found in every ballpark at this time of the year because they never watch a game any other time than the first game of the year.
    There was something in the Daily News last summer about it (I think in a Lisa Olsen column) Heh, maybe your right about what kind of fans those who do it are. But then again, in Boston you did hear rather loud in unison "Yankees Suck" chant in a Patroits celebration parade!

Sickening is what it iss. I'm not really a fan of it at Yankee Stadium! Granted I'm a Mets fan, but it really smacks of fans delluding themselves in thinking they have more of a "relationship" with the athletes than they really do.

Okay, I better stop now, its getting late and I should stop trying to pyscho-anaylise Bleacher Creatures!

Steve

Devoted Member

haha, if you think that is bad, head over to boards.giants.com and check out the amount of Lavar Arrington threads.

Despite being a Giants fan, I can't stand those forums, due both in part to the massive amounts of reposts and the general failure by many members to successfuly put together coherent sentences.

NYYF Cy Young

the whole thing is so uneccessary
    "Everything looks nicer when you win. The girls are prettier. The cigars taste better. The trees are greener." - Billy Martin

NYYF Legend

Well...Mo represents the American League and Wagner is in the NL. It is big enough for them. God forbid the World Series is a Subway Series though.
    Disco Stu:
    Nick Swisher has agreed to a $56 mil, 4 year contract with the Cleveland Indians. Good riddance!!!

teknetic
    .268/.367/.483 .850 during his four years here. Can we get rid of you instead?

Thread Information