+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sports Illustrated Predictions

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/bas...s/yankees.html

They picked the Yankees to win the division and the White Sox to repeat

Oh, but they couldn't get the New York batting order right... unless Miguel Cairo became our starting 2B and no one told me. Morons.
    "It would be great if every day I could do something that was psycho." -Hideki Matsui

Released Outright KevinBaseball's Avatar

Re: Sports Illustrated Predictions

I don't see how they could make that mistake, unless they are making a prediction for down the road.

NYYF Triple Crown

LOL, Miguel starting over Robby....

NYYF Legend

NYC or 2.77 miles from the greatest stadium on earth

Who cares about their predictions. Their guesses are as good as any of ours.

btw didn't they pick the Rangers(hockey) to finish last this year?
    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Yeah, I'm definitely straight, but I might have made an exception for him.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Wow...what risk takers they are. Did they pick the Braves to win the NL East and then lose the NLDS again too?

Didn't every magazine pick the Red Sox to repeat in 2005 too?

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan
    I don't really recall many doing that.
    The Curse
    9/4/18 - 10/27/04
    Don't act like you've been there before. Act like you can't wait to go back.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan
    Wow...what risk takers they are. Did they pick the Braves to win the NL East and then lose the NLDS again too?

I'd rather have a magazine/sports writer make a normal prediction like the whitesox repeating than some jerk off lunatic predicting the Yankees winning 80 games.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by Sam18
    I'd rather have a magazine/sports writer make a normal prediction like the whitesox repeating than some jerk off lunatic predicting the Yankees winning 80 games.
    Given all the starting pitching the White Sox have coming back, it seems like a pretty solid selection.
    The Curse
    9/4/18 - 10/27/04
    Don't act like you've been there before. Act like you can't wait to go back.

Quote Originally Posted by EnterNight42
    Oh, but they couldn't get the New York batting order right... unless Miguel Cairo became our starting 2B and no one told me. Morons.
    At least it's not like Dayn Perry who wants Cano to platoon with Andy Phillips.

Seriously ... is the fact that Robinson Cano is the Yankees starting second baseman some sort of mysterious secret that the national media just can't get their hands around?
    Hank 'N Hal's Country Club -- where accountability is soooo 1990s!

Quote Originally Posted by hellonewman
    At least it's not like Dayn Perry who wants Cano to platoon with Andy Phillips.

Seriously ... is the fact that Robinson Cano is the Yankees starting second baseman some sort of mysterious secret that the national media just can't get their hands around?
    Apparently...
    "And I wonder, when I sing along with you. If everything
    could ever feel this real forever. If anything could ever be this good again."

NYYF Legend

btw didn't they pick the Rangers(hockey) to finish last this year?
    They did indeed.
    “I mean, people knew that Brown was out there, and that Randy was ornery all the time. And Pavano is whoever he is. But if you’re their manager, you can’t go out and write about them like that.

NYYF Cy Young

Magazine predictions are almost as bad as magazines' fantasy baseball issues. Some the player rankings in ESPN the magazine's fantasy baseball issue are just comical especially the pitchers and outfielders.
    I have to return some videotapes.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by UncleSam
    Given all the starting pitching the White Sox have coming back, it seems like a pretty solid selection.
    Yes, I agree.

My pick is the White Sox too, although I want badly a Yankees-Braves series again.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 27IsNext
    My pick is the White Sox too, although I want badly a Yankees-Braves series again.
    Honestly though, I don't think the sox pitchers are gonna be as lucky as last year. And their hitting just sucks. I see the Indians winning the division. Again, not saying that the whitesox don't have a chance but I just see the Indians doing better. And of course the Yankees are winning the WS.

Honestly though, I don't think the sox pitchers are gonna be as lucky as last year. And their hitting just sucks. I see the Indians winning the division. Again, not saying that the whitesox don't have a chance but I just see the Indians doing better. And of course the Yankees are winning the WS.
    I don't know, there hitting isn't that bad. Thome has been having a great Spring and looks to be on the rebuond after a horrible 05. Everyone said they lacked the long ball threat last year outside of Konerko, and they still won. Not to mention they added another homerun guy in Thome. CF is the only position I see them weak at with Brian Anderson and Rob Mackowiak platooning. Podsednik will still be a leadoff and base stealing threat. Their pitching only got better with he addition of Vasquez. I could definetly see them repeating, especially over the Indians. Outside of Sabathia and Westbrook their pitching staff doesn't scare me at all.

NYYF Cy Young

The Angels brought back most of their '02 championship team in 2003 and didn't even finish above .500. Now I'm not saying that the White Sox will have the same fate but I think they will see a little bit of a drop off. Jon Garland had an unbelieveable season last year and I question whether he can repeat those numbers. Was it a career turning season or just a flash in the pan? Anyone else remember when Kent Bottenfield came out of nowhere and won 18 games for the Cardinals in '99?

The White Sox will win the Central but they aren't going to cruise through the play offs like they did last season.
    Penn State '12

Quote Originally Posted by ConnYanksFan
    Jon Garland had an unbelieveable season last year and I question whether he can repeat those numbers. Was it a career turning season or just a flash in the pan?
    The White Sox will win the Central but they aren't going to cruise through the play offs like they did last season.
    Garland has been a highly touted prospect for years and he had a great first half last year, an okay second half and a great playoffs. The fact is, other than Buehrle, none of the White Sox starters were great last year. They were consistently good for most of the season with an extended hiccup towards the end before they all picked it up in the postseason.

Where their luck was last year was in none of them getting hurt. The five starters combined for something like 152 starts. But they do have Brandon McCarthy ready to join the rotation if they have an injury this year.

All that said, with the Indians worse this year than last and the Twins not looking like a real threat (barring an incredible rookie season by Liriano and an insane comeback by the likes of Tony Batista and Rondell White, the AL Central should belong to the White Sox this year.

Whether they can all peak in the postseason like last year and have the luck of facing the Angels without Colon and the Astros effectively without Clemens remains to be seen, not to mention a few key calls that fell their way. I certainly hope not and I think I won't be disapppointed.

NYYF Legend

mark my words: losing el duque will hurt the sox, maybe not so much during the regular season, but come playoff time, they will have lost a huge october asset
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

They have Posada as the CF as well. Obviously this was just thrown together.

Quote Originally Posted by donnybball23
    He would probably be better out there than Bernie.
    "Long Island is New Jersey with a GED." - Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

Quote Originally Posted by donnybball23

Two CFs and no catcher ... to paraphrase Casey Stengel, they're going to have a lot of passed balls.
    Hank 'N Hal's Country Club -- where accountability is soooo 1990s!

I don't even think the Sox will make the playoffs. Call it a lack of respect on my part, but I smell a letdown from last year.

NYYF Cy Young

I'm still stuck on the Cairo\Cano mixup...

Where my Pitches at? Arod for President's Avatar

The SI GUYS have really been working hard guys! Why dont we give them a break

Yeah and there is NO way that the Chi Sox are gonna repeat. Do you know the chances of repeating?? you gotta be the NY Yankees or something!

Thread Information