+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    NYYF Triple Crown

Yankees Open at 10pm?

You're telling me that the A's couldn't start the game a bit earlier? How ridiculous is this.

Yankee Stadium: 1923-2008 DiMaggio5CF's Avatar

Re: Yankees Open at 10pm?

That's 7pm local (West Coast) time. What time would you expect them to start it?

Devoted Member

There is a three hour time difference. 7 PM is the same start time as THTRB.
    It's their home game, not ours.
    [IMG]http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/1401/nyybofs0.th.gif[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by DiMaggio5CF
    That's 7pm local (West Coast) time. What time would you expect them to start it?
    Well it is tradition to have Opening Day during the day. But i guess Opening Day is like organ music, a thing of the past.

NYYF Legend

When this was first announced, I recall an Oakland A's fan saying that they always open up at night.

It's their home game, they choose it. I bet they hate it when we have 1 PM Saturday games, which for them is 10 AM.

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeeah
    When this was first announced, I recall an Oakland A's fan saying that they always open up at night.

It's their home game, they choose it. I bet they hate it when we have 1 PM Saturday games, which for them is 10 AM.
    Quite the contrary, I love 10am games.

Released Outright noneckwilliams's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BronxByTheBay
    Quite the contrary, I love 10am games.

Hopefully the place will be packed with Yankees fans including yourself.

NYYF Cy Young

Thje A's do have a tradition opening at night. They are the only team opening against the NCAA championship. As well as they are run on the field, their off the field operations have alot to be desired. The attendance has been so poor that they closed the upper deck this year. I thought that they might open it up when the Yanks/Redsox come to town. That's when they usually get the big crowds, but it's still closed. BTW it has rained out here quite alot lately. ( it's raining now) I can't remember the last time in the past few months that we had 3 days in a row without rain.

Kill that Shutter!!! ManilaYankee's Avatar

I just can't wait for the Yanks to come home and have their first home game. It would be a lot more comfortable for my timezone as well. The East coast just have a 12-hour difference compared to the West.
    \m/(-_-)\m/

Now I Wanna Sniff Some Glue VFBundy's Avatar

The Yankees early schedule:

Game 1: 10 PM (Mon.)
    Game 2: 10 PM (Tue.)
    Game 3: 10 PM (Wed.)
    Game 4: 10 PM (Fri.)
    Game 5: 10 PM (Sat.)
    Game 6: 3:30 PM (Sun.)
    Game 7: 1 PM (Tue.)
    Game 8: 1 PM (Wed.)
    Game 9: 1 PM (Thu.)

Man...with the exception of Game 6 on Sunday afternoon, I guess I won't be seeing much of them until sometime around the middle of April!

I understand the home opener is usually on a weekday, but THREE 1 PM weekday games in a row? What is this...1956? At least I can listen on my radio at work.

Not a very work-friendly opening schedule for us east coasters. (MAYBE I can tough out the late night Friday and Saturday games...unless I'm too tired from trying to watch the Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday 10 PM starts.)

Oh well...at least they get a west coast trip out of the way early.

Quote Originally Posted by VFBundy
    The Yankees early schedule:

Game 1: 10 PM (Mon.)
    Game 2: 10 PM (Tue.)
    Game 3: 10 PM (Wed.)
    Game 4: 10 PM (Fri.)
    Game 5: 10 PM (Sat.)
    Game 6: 3:30 PM (Sun.)
    Game 7: 1 PM (Tue.)
    Game 8: 1 PM (Wed.)
    Game 9: 1 PM (Thu.)

Man...with the exception of Game 6 on Sunday afternoon, I guess I won't be seeing much of them until sometime around the middle of April!

I understand the home opener is usually on a weekday, but THREE 1 PM weekday games in a row? What is this...1956? At least I can listen on my radio at work.

Not a very work-friendly opening schedule for us east coasters. (MAYBE I can tough out the late night Friday and Saturday games...unless I'm too tired from trying to watch the Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday 10 PM starts.)

Oh well...at least they get a west coast trip out of the way early.
    It'll be hard for most people to watch the games, but it has to be done like this. This early in April it could just be too cold to have games at night, they don't want to take that chance.

I'm sure they wouldn't take that chance if they didn't have to, they know ratings and fan attendance (although Yankee Stadium will probably sell out anyway) will be down because of the times.

What I don't get is why they have a Tuesday home opener this season? It's traditionally supposed to be a Monday opener with a Tuesday offday as a second option in case of rain.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by SI Baseballman
    What I don't get is why they have a Tuesday home opener this season? It's traditionally supposed to be a Monday opener with a Tuesday offday as a second option in case of rain.
    They're playing Sunday afternoon in Anaheim so it would be a bitch travel wise to fly across country and play a day game the next day.

not to forget, but the 1998 season started in Oakland at night, and we know how that season turned out!
    "I will say this, I don't know if any other team in New York has done any better."

-George Steinbrenner on the 2000 Yankees

Quote Originally Posted by SI Baseballman
    That's so they don't lose the gate for opening day...generally useless now that the Yankees sell out every game. Plus there are plenty of other off-days to replay the game in April.

Quote Originally Posted by Ansky10
    not to forget, but the 1998 season started in Oakland at night, and we know how that season turned out!

Actually, '99.....but that turned out well too! Clemens opened for them.

Anyway....the Yanks love this schedule, which is fine by me even if I'll struggle with the timing. They get a West Coast trip out of the way with as little travel fatigue as possible. They will not play a cold weather night game until the end of April- how many other teams on the East Coast can say that? With an older team, this is good.

NYYF Legend

Well, I'll be missing the first few innings of the Yankees season, since it's on at the same time as the NCAA Championship game. I don't understand why MLB would schedule any game during the NCAA Championship. As much as I love the Yankees and baseball, March Madness is my favorite sporting event besides the World Series, and I never miss it. So this kind of ticks me off.

But as long as I can stay up for the end of the Yankees game, I guess that's what counts.

NYYF MVP

Well, it looks like I'll be at work for the first week.

Oh well, at least we'll get the late nights out of the way first thing.

NYYF Triple Crown

Oh well, it's their opener, their timezone. I can't wait till the Yanks come to Toronto, april 18/19.

Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung4Vazquez
    You're telling me that the A's couldn't start the game a bit earlier? How ridiculous is this.
    1 oclock on a monday afternoon? whats the point?
    [FONT=Verdana][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [/FONT]

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brosiusbuddy
    1 oclock on a monday afternoon? whats the point?
    if it were starting at 1 PM on a Monday no one would complain. However, it's their home game, they get to choose.

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

I'm sure A fans are psyched as I'd be if I live on the West Coast but for us East Coast fans, it sucks. Been looking forward to Opening Day for months and now we have to watch (5) 10pm games until the wee hours.

Good way to look at it obsessedyankeefan - at least we get those out of the way first thing!

Released Outright

Eh. This is still better than when we opened in Japan.

NYYF Legend

It's in Cali, meaning it starts at 7:00pm west coast time.
    Disco Stu:
    Nick Swisher has agreed to a $56 mil, 4 year contract with the Cleveland Indians. Good riddance!!!

teknetic
    .268/.367/.483 .850 during his four years here. Can we get rid of you instead?

10pm is better than 5am, but both still suck. The only good thing is that the West Coast trip is out of the way.

Thread Information