+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Mattingly a manager?

According to this article, Mattingly has thoughts of managing sometime in the future. I remember when he took his hitting coach role on, he didn't really know how long he'd like to coach. He didn't know if he could handle being away from his family for so long... now..it seems like he's ok with it...and he'd be ready for the job of managing.

One of the most interesting lines from the article...

Despite the presence of former big-league managers Mazzilli, Bowa, Tony Pena and Joe Kerrigan on the coaching staff, it is widely assumed that Mattingly will take over for Torre whenever he decides to hand over the reins. I've guessed that Mattingly might take over, along with others, but I never thought it was "widely assumed." Interesting.

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/NASAp...=.jsp&c_id=nyy

Re: Mattingly a manager?

Makes sense.

Being "the guy that takes over after Joe Torre" is going to be tough no matter who gets the job.

It seems sensible to me for the first post-Torre manager to be a person who already has a ton of equity built up with the fans and the media. Of course, that equity will not make him bullet-proof, but it will probably be an initial advantage versus a completely new face coming in from outside of the organization.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasbro
    Makes sense.

Being "the guy that takes over after Joe Torre" is going to be tough no matter who gets the job.

It seems sensible to me for the first post-Torre manager to be a person who already has a ton of equity built up with the fans and the media. Of course, that equity will not make him bullet-proof, but it will probably be an initial advantage versus a completely new face coming in from outside of the organization.
    It at least seems somewhat like it has been in the organizations plans to groom him to be the next skipper. I remember talk of this last time there was concern over Torre renewing his contract.

NYYF MVP

Makes sense.

I don't think it will be very tough. With the players that management provides and the poor reputation that Torre has. He has built his reputation on being a nice guy and being able to take critisism from George. Not his ability to manage. Don't quote all the rings he has please.

I'm of the belief that if Piniella stays out of baseball one more season after this one, the job is his.

Mattingly is an unknown quantity, so it wouldn't be prudent for me to comment on potential pros and cons of him being a manager.

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by 27IsNext
    I'm of the belief that if Piniella stays out of baseball one more season after this one, the job is his.

Mattingly is an unknown quantity, so it wouldn't be prudent for me to comment on potential pros and cons of him being a manager.
    I think the Piniella window has passed. George has less and less involvement in these types of decisions. Mattingly makes the most sense from an organizational/PR standpoint. From a baseball standpoint, maybe not so much. But hell, why not? It's not like Torre was regarded as a baseball genius when he got the gig.

Quote Originally Posted by BronxByTheBay
    I think the Piniella window has passed. George has less and less involvement in these types of decisions. Mattingly makes the most sense from an organizational/PR standpoint. From a baseball standpoint, maybe not so much. But hell, why not? It's not like Torre was regarded as a baseball genius when he got the gig.
    Nothing suprises me these days. I mean, who'd have thought George would actually cede control to Cashman this past offseason, while Epstein would leave for a time?

Agreed. The Larussian tactician side of managing is really only about 25% of the job in my view, particularly in the AL where the DH precludes much of the strategizing. And in this era of 12 pitchers and short benches, the in-game manager's role might more accurately be desribed as "bullpen manager", as really, the most important strategic decision the manager makes 90 percent of the time is when to pull pitchers. (Ask Little, G. for more about this).

The other 75 percent, the skillful managing of egos/ownership/media and being a psychologist/therapist who gets the most out of his players is where Torre, and hopefully Mattingly, will excel.
    Fall down a rabbit hole: Joe Frank.com

Quote Originally Posted by M&M61
    I don't think it will be very tough. With the players that management provides and the poor reputation that Torre has. He has built his reputation on being a nice guy and being able to take critisism from George. Not his ability to manage. Don't quote all the rings he has please.
    Regardless of how many here view Torre's in-game abilities, he is widely viewed as an upper tier manager throughout baseball.

And when I say it will be tough, I am not speaking with regard to replacing Joe "the in-game manager". I am referring more to Joe "the icon".

By the time Torre is done here, he will have presided over one of the most successful 10-12 year stretches in team -- and baseball -- history. And he will have also sheparded the team through the most peaceful stretch (both with management and the media) of the entire Steinbrenner era.

That is what the next manager will be compared against by many fans and the media. IMHO, having a guy who is already an icon may help keep the dogs at bay for just a little while longer than a fresh face will.

NYYF MVP

sounds to me like the wife is getting on his nerves in the winter.

WS #27 Here We Come puckmaster87's Avatar

I don't know about Mattingly. I was hoping that Mazzilli would take over after Torre, despite his poor record in Baltimore.

Released Outright KevinBaseball's Avatar

"These Types of decisions." This decision is unlike any other, non of George's behavior over the last few months or years is an indicator of how he will go about the hiring of a new manager, something that we all know he considers the most important decision a team can make.

Released Outright

I personally don't think that LP is the type of person that you want in c harge of the Yankees, and as much as I know he does a good job running a team, he wouldn't be my first choice successor for Torre. I don't know who would be, but it wouldn't be him.

NYYF Legend

That is what the next manager will be compared against by many fans and the media. IMHO, having a guy who is already an icon may help keep the dogs at bay for just a little while longer than a fresh face will.
    Agreed. Donny would definetly get a grace period with the press and fans that would not necessarily be afforded any other potential candidate. I find it difficult to believe that he wouldn't be at least as good an "on field" manager.

I wonder, however, about some of Don's other attributes. I think that Torre deserves some credit for helping Cashman win (at least for now) his power struggle with Tampa. I wonder if Mattingly has the Machiavellian instincts necessary to thrive within the organization?

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Socal Pinstriper
    Agreed. Donny would definetly get a grace period with the press and fans that would not necessarily be afforded any other potential candidate. I find it difficult to believe that he wouldn't be at least as good an "on field" manager.

I wonder, however, about some of Don's other attributes. I think that Torre deserves some credit for helping Cashman win (at least for now) his power struggle with Tampa. I wonder if Mattingly has the Machiavellian instincts necessary to thrive within the organization?
    Donnie is a legend, obviously, but I see Girardi as manager after Joe retires.
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2014)
    Totus Tuus

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso
    You just want another manager of Italian descent.

Quote Originally Posted by Socal Pinstriper
    You just want another manager of Italian descent.

He's Italian?

-Lou 27 (28 in 2014)
    Totus Tuus

Yankee Fan since May 9,1962 jimmyclark's Avatar

I would hope if Mattingly is truly interested in managing that he get some experience in running a team. It is different making game decisions instead of watching some one do them. Get minor league experience in Columbus or Miami like Girardi.
    It will also be interesting how Mattingly can handle being second-guessed. Pretty much everyone has fawned over him for almost 25 years. Will he be different when people are calling up WFAN complaining about not pulling a pitcher soon enough? He probably is smart enough to know how to deal with it.But 15 years ago Bud Harrelson was a popular former Met player who could not handle the manager's job (he didn't have many professionals like Jeter, Rodriguez and Riveria to depend on either).

Released Outright KevinBaseball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso

Girardi might be unavailable after this season with the fish cause him to jump off a bridge.

NYYF Legend

There is no reason for Don not to be a manager.............no sense recycling the retreads any further..........it's time for some new blood.........
    If you understand,
    things are just as they are;
    If you do not understand,
    things are just as they are.
    Zen proverb

Calendar of Updates
    www.calendarofupdates.com

Quote Originally Posted by KevinBaseball
    Girardi might be unavailable after this season with the fish cause him to jump off a bridge.
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2014)
    Totus Tuus

Donnie Baseball could learn a thing or two about being a tv personality from Torre and Berra. Its a big part of the job, YES?
    Also, it has been interesting following Larry Bowa's comments re: Torre. Very respectful, and not even the brownnosing some do to keep a job.
    I'm not sure Mattingly has the gravitas for the job.
    k

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyclark
    I would hope if Mattingly is truly interested in managing that he get some experience in running a team. It is different making game decisions instead of watching some one do them. Get minor league experience in Columbus or Miami like Girardi.
    It will also be interesting how Mattingly can handle being second-guessed. Pretty much everyone has fawned over him for almost 25 years. Will he be different when people are calling up WFAN complaining about not pulling a pitcher soon enough? He probably is smart enough to know how to deal with it.But 15 years ago Bud Harrelson was a popular former Met player who could not handle the manager's job (he didn't have many professionals like Jeter, Rodriguez and Riveria to depend on either).
    You're right in saying that it might be a good step...but there's no way Mattingly goes down to manage a minor league team. That would be seen as a demotion.

Wow, I never thought. I gues time changes everything. Donnie would be a great manager.
    [COLOR=blue]If I am to live vicariously in the accomplishments of others that address would be 161st and River Ave, The Cathedral of Champions! [/COLOR]
    #[B]28[/B]~If you don't have it, that's why you need it!!

NYYF Legend

Not only am I sure he'll be a manager, but he'll be the manager of the NYY. The Boss isn't going to let him go anywhere else.

Thread Information