+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is this Posada's last year?

It looks like it could be Posada's last year. He has an option after this season, and he is declining. the 2006-2007 catcher free agents don't have many young catchers. Here are some.

Bengie Molina (Mutual Option), Ivan Rodriguez (Poss. Void Option), and Mike Lieberthal (May Retire). All 3 of these catchers are in their 30s.

Will Posada be a Yankee in 2007?
    Quest for #28

Re: Is this Posada's last year?

Its not his last year. Plus I am too lazy to look for the link but I believe the Yankee Management has already said they will not prevent him from playing the number of games he needs for his option to kick in, thus making him a Yankee in 2007.
    New York Yankees: 27 Time World Series Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by njdhockey
    Its not his last year. Plus I am too lazy to look for the link but I believe the Yankee Management has already said they will not prevent him from playing the number of games he needs for his option to kick in, thus making him a Yankee in 2007.
    I think he'll be a Yankee in 2007 too. I know he has been declining, but the catchers I mentioned above are declining too.
    Quest for #28

My guess is that he will be.

It will be interesting to see if last year was the sign of a serious decline or just an off year. He had a 133 OPS+ in 2004, last year it was down to 105. I am am not sure he will put up the numbers he did in 2004, but I am wondering if he can bounce back a bit. Still though, a 105 OPS+ or around there is still damn good as a catcher.

It amazes me how Posada has been underrated and under-appreciated, IMO. Yeah, I know he has not done a lot in the playoffs, but he has been a huge reason why the Yankees have gotten there for so many years in a row.

By the way, Posada and Jeter have the same OPS+ in the careers at 121.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by diehardyankeefan
    It looks like it could be Posada's last year. He has an option after this season, and he is declining. the 2006-2007 catcher free agents don't have many young catchers. Here are some.

Bengie Molina (Mutual Option), Ivan Rodriguez (Poss. Void Option), and Mike Lieberthal (May Retire). All 3 of these catchers are in their 30s.

Will Posada be a Yankee in 2007?
    Doesn't his option get guaranteed if he catches a certain number of games this year? And I am pretty sure it is an easy number to reach, and barring a big injury he will get there. They don't have anyone else that can bring at least league average offense to the position, so he will catch. I think he'll have a similar season offensively to last year.

Barring a major injury that prevents his option clause from kicking in, he's back in 2007. It's possible he'd be back even with the injury — at a cheaper price.

although posada has been a good player for the yankees, i look forward to the day of having a skilled defensive catcher again..
    Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by KLJ
    although posada has been a good player for the yankees, i look forward to the day of having a skilled defensive catcher again..

A skilled defensive catcher is overrated if he can't hit.

Quote Originally Posted by SubwayFanatic
    A skilled defensive catcher is overrated if he can't hit.
    what's your definition of "can't hit"?
    Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by KLJ
    what's your definition of "can't hit"?
    Someone like Jason Kendall who posted a .666 OPS.

that's the bottom of the barrel.. i agree that having any player put those numbers up would be a waste..
    Kyle

NYYF Legend

I doubt it, there isn't a good selection of available free agent catchers for 2007 and I doubt the Yankees are going to make some blockbuster trade for a catcher anytime soon. Posada will get his option.
    Disco Stu:
    Nick Swisher has agreed to a $56 mil, 4 year contract with the Cleveland Indians. Good riddance!!!

teknetic
    .268/.367/.483 .850 during his four years here. Can we get rid of you instead?

I think Posada will be a Yankee, but I could see them trying to get him more at bats at DH and possibly even some time at first base.

Devoted Member
    Viva Las Vegas, 2539 miles from Yankee Stadium

There is really no "guessing" in this question. He will be a Yankee next year whether anyone likes it or not. He only has to catch like 80 or so games for his option to kick in. In fact, I would bet money that he'll be a Yankee in 2008 as well, at a cheaper price tag for sure though.

To answer the thread's question, No it isn't his last. his option will vest.

It's a player option, and there's no way the Yanks don't let it kick. There also isn't a darn thing out there in the FA market that interests me at all.

The Yankees absolutely MUST have a plan in place to find his replacement within the next two to three years.

Javy Lopez is also a FA, but he was a one year wonder in 2003 with Atlanta.
    Quest for #28

Larry Walker's Fanclub Rocketman's Avatar

Posada is still one of the best catchers in baseball. Let's see how he does this year before we talk about him retiring.

NYYF Legend

Kendall also can't throw out any runners. IIRC, he's worse than Piazza at that or at least very close to Piazza's level.

Anyways, yes, Posada will definitely be the Yankee 2007 catcher. He's got a player option and he will trigger it. In 2007, Posada will still probably be the best option out of the FA's anyways.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know when Yadier Molina is a FA? edit: Nevermind, he's got another 4 years before he's FA eligible. If he can develop some offense, he'll be a great catcher. He's an amzing defensive catcher.
    “I mean, people knew that Brown was out there, and that Randy was ornery all the time. And Pavano is whoever he is. But if you’re their manager, you can’t go out and write about them like that.

NYYF Legend

He will be a yank because the option automatically kicks in, the yanks don't pick it up.

So this conversation is moot

also, if the 2007 option kicks in, so does a player option for 2008. And that sucks.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo

also, if the 2007 option kicks in, so does a player option for 2008. And that sucks.
    There have been conflicting reports about that. I'm pretty sure that this is not the case.
    “I mean, people knew that Brown was out there, and that Randy was ornery all the time. And Pavano is whoever he is. But if you’re their manager, you can’t go out and write about them like that.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    Out of curiosity, does anyone know when Yadier Molina is a FA? edit: Nevermind, he's got another 4 years before he's FA eligible. If he can develop some offense, he'll be a great catcher. He's an amzing defensive catcher.
    Yadier had a good rookie season last year, and I think he could be a top 5 catcher soon. When is Victor Martinez a free agent? That guy Ryan Garko from the Indians system is a pretty good catcher and obviously they will need to keep one at catcher or maybe put the other one at first or trade one of them.
    Quest for #28

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo
    No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/bas...da_yankees_ap/

If the 2007 option fails to kick in, he gets a $4 million buyout and becomes a FA. If the 2007 option kicks in, he gets $12 million in 2007, then gets a $4 million buyout in 2008 and is a FA for the 2008 season.

Quote Originally Posted by diehardyankeefan
    Yadier had a good rookie season last year, and I think he could be a top 5 catcher soon. When is Victor Martinez a free agent? That guy Ryan Garko from the Indians system is a pretty good catcher and obviously they will need to keep one at catcher or maybe put the other one at first or trade one of them.

Looks like Martinez is signed until 2009, with a club option for 2010.

http://64.233.179.104/search?q=cache...s&ct=clnk&cd=1

Posada will be coming back in 2007 because his option will soon become guaranteed. And he possibly could be back in 2008, but at that point he would only be a backup. If the Yankees could do anything about it, they would locate a young catcher right now, and groom him behind Posada in 2007, and with Posada in 2008, and make the conversion easy. However, with the state of catching prospects in our minor league system, it seems unlikely.

Thread Information