+ Reply to Thread

Jeter defends Arod says others are jealous

I think he isn't way off base in thinking why Arod is a constant target by others including fans.

"I will let Alex speak on Alex's behalf, but they can keep on taking shots at him, he had a pretty good year," Jeter said of the AL MVP. "He makes the most money and a lot of people are jealous of him."
    http://www.nypost.com/sports/yankees/60141.htm
    Okay Hal and Brian, I might be a sucker, but you got 3 more years to fix it!

Re: Jeter defends Arod says others are jealous

".....and we're pleased to award Mr. Jeter with the 'Captain Obvious' award for saying what everyone already knows!"

But truthfully, it was nice that he came to Alex's defense.......although I'm not sure it's reached last pre-season's level quite yet.

NYYF Cy Young

Here's my take on this...

If jeter doesn't defend him here....then we've got two other threads to counter act this thread saying that there's a private fued with Jeter and A-rod...

bottom line, Jeter's telling us what we already know, and I'm happy he said it, just to avoid threads popping up here that he secretly hates A-rod, or have reports in Newday and the Daily News that echo those sentiments.

NYYF Legend

I'm glad to see Jeter defending ARod, but it would have been better to see him do it last year when every Red Sox player and their brother was taking shots at him.

NYYF Legend

Very glad to see this. Didn't the PTI duo also say something similar to this? I swear it's in the sig of someone here.

Here is another article referencing some of Jeter's comments. See the last sentence that I quoted which gives you a reason why Jeter didn't say anything last year. Reading between the lines, he thinks the Yankees shouldn't be concern with something of such little significance than what some knothead says about Arod or any other Yankee.

Like the Red Sox - who last spring mocked A-Rod for hyping his own workout regimen in a newspaper article - Guillen's interview once again made the Yankees third baseman into baseball's piñata. Though as far as Derek Jeter is concerned, the barbs hardly bother the Bombers.

"Let them keep taking shots," Jeter said yesterday of A-Rod's critics. "He had a pretty good year last year."

Rodriguez, of course, won his second American League MVP award last season, batting .321 with 48 home runs and 130 RBI.

"People are entitled to their opinion," Jeter said. Asked why he thought Rodriguez is a frequent target, Jeter said, "He makes the most money, a lot of people are probably jealous of him. I don't really know. I haven't thought about it and we don't really concern ourselves with it."
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/st...p-332779c.html

Quote Originally Posted by gdn
    Very glad to see this. Didn't the PTI duo also say something similar to this? I swear it's in the sig of someone here.
    I can't remember it exactly, but it was something like "He's a better player than them, he's better looking than them, and he makes more money than them". Not verbatim, but along those lines.

I guess Jeter would know more than most about how jealousy can lead to being back-stabbed in the press.

I find it amusing that the Union comes to Arod's defense, but Nomar seems to be the invisible boy. Guess righteous indignation is directly proportionate to SLG % and salary, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Mangycur
    I guess Jeter would know more than most about how jealousy can lead to being back-stabbed in the press.

I find it amusing that the Union comes to Arod's defense, but Nomar seems to be the invisible boy. Guess righteous indignation is directly proportionate to SLG % and salary, huh?
    The union owes Arod because he's only playing in this tournament because they begged him to because he felt it wasn't worth the aggravation

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962
    The union owes Arod because he's only playing in this tournament because they begged him to which is why he's playing for the USA.
    You're probably right, and I think that's so friggin' sad on so many levels.

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nhyankeefan
    I'm glad to see Jeter defending ARod, but it would have been better to see him do it last year when every Red Sox player and their brother was taking shots at him.
    Agreed on both counts. This was what was needed and now it's over.
    Life is good!

[QUOTE=NYYBombshell]".....and we're pleased to award Mr. Jeter with the 'Captain Obvious' award for saying what everyone already knows!"

But truthfully, it was nice that he came to Alex's defense.......although I'm not sure it's reached last pre-season's level quite yet.[/QUO

1 year too late, but I'm glad hes finally backing up his teamates publicly
    Future
    Betances(P)Brackman(P)Hughes(P)Heredia(P)Ramirez(P)Chamberlain(CP)Melancon(SU)
    Montero(1B)Cano(2B)Angelini(SS)Suttle(3B)
    Almonte(OF)Heathcott(OF)DeLeon(OF)Romine(C)

We'll I'm glad Jeter came and defended him.
    [

Quote Originally Posted by gdn

Heheh yeah it was my sig. I remember when I heard them, the first thing I thought was "Damn that's gonna make a great sig."
    Wilbon: What is it specifically about Arod that guys like Schill and Trot Nixon just can't stand?

Kornheiser: He's better looking, he's cooler, he's got all the money. That's what they can't stand.

Quote Originally Posted by nhyankeefan
    And it would have been even better if Jeter defended A-Rod before that, when A-Rod first came to NY. And before that, when he got that huge contract. And before that, when he was playing in Seattle. And before that, when he was in the draft. And before that, when he was growing up in Miami. And before that, when he was born in Washington Heights.

Gosh, Jeter really hasn't stuck up for A-Rod much at all, now that I think of it.
    [SIZE=3]It's our game, the American game... and a blessing to us. --Walt Whitman[/SIZE]

Tomorrow there will be a story claiming that Jeter is mad at Mel Hall for making fun of Bernie Williams in the early 90's.
    Pardon, for us.

NYYF Legend

Forest Lawn Memorial Park - Plot: Court of Freedom Block 7060 Lot 6-A

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY
    Tomorrow there will be a story claiming that Jeter is mad at Mel Hall for making fun of Bernie Williams in the early 90's.
    I'll make sure to read Mike Lupica's column tomorrow morning, maybe you gave him some ideas.
    3 4 5 7 8 10 16 37

Quote Originally Posted by Casey37
    I'll make sure to read Mike Lupica's column tomorrow morning, maybe you gave him some ideas.
    The Loop.

He best not be stealing my bad jokes.
    Pardon, for us.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Davios
    Heheh yeah it was my sig. I remember when I heard them, the first thing I thought was "Damn that's gonna make a great sig."
    I was just going to use your sig/the PTI quote as my reply. It's true, only guys like A-Rod and Jeter know what it's like to really be disliked for pretty much no reason. It's not like Alex has ever offended anybody.
    Disco Stu:
    Nick Swisher has agreed to a $56 mil, 4 year contract with the Cleveland Indians. Good riddance!!!

teknetic
    .268/.367/.483 .850 during his four years here. Can we get rid of you instead?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY
    Always make me laugh.
    “I mean, people knew that Brown was out there, and that Randy was ornery all the time. And Pavano is whoever he is. But if you’re their manager, you can’t go out and write about them like that.

Thread Information