+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Damon takes out full page ad to thank Sox Nation...

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5316424

Article doesn't really reveal anything groundbreaking but the idea that Johnny did this kind of rubs me the wrong way. I know he meant a lot to those fans but he moved to the other side of the fence by his own will. Its not like he was traded or retired or something. I don't think its a big deal but I don't know that it is the best way to start off a relationship with Yankee fans. Any thoughts?

Released Outright KevinBaseball's Avatar

Re: Damon takes out full page ad to thank Sox Nation...

I'd be more pissed at him if I was a red sox fan.

this is gonna generate so much crap honestly;.. i dont care, but im sure a lotof people do

NYYF Legend

So many people (Sawks and Yankees fans) will give him s--t for this. It was a dumb move honestly, and no matter what they'll most likely boo him to hell in Boston just because he's wearing Yankee pinstripes. If he signed with the Chicago Cubs or Orioles or any other team then he'd be cheered out of appreciation for his years of service but Johnny Damon is now a Yankee meaning that he automatically gets booed to hell every at-bat in Fenway.
    Disco Stu:
    Nick Swisher has agreed to a $56 mil, 4 year contract with the Cleveland Indians. Good riddance!!!

teknetic
    .268/.367/.483 .850 during his four years here. Can we get rid of you instead?

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

I agree. It's going to anger both Yank and Red Sox fans. He made his decision, stop looking back.
    We toast to the old days and DiMaggio too,
    Billy Martin and Mantle, Whitey Ford and to you

it doesnt change my view of damon, hes a yankee now...this isn't like when bledsoe took a page to thanks pats fans...he was out of a job...damon made a deci$ion to $ign with ny...

NYYF Cy Young

This was a nice, modest gesture by Johnny and it will win him some kudos from most Sox fans. It's pretty much the same thing that Bledsoe did when he went to the Bills. One of the main reasons Clemens was treated so badly when he left is that he said nothing to the fans when he headed to Toronto.
    The Curse
    9/4/18 - 10/27/04
    Don't act like you've been there before. Act like you can't wait to go back.

Quote Originally Posted by flutie22
    it doesnt change my view of damon, hes a yankee now...this isn't like when bledsoe took a page to thanks pats fans...he was out of a job...damon made a deci$ion to $ign with ny...
    Yes, what a horrible sentiment by him. Thanking Red Sox fans for their support while he played for that team, although he's made a business decision to take a higher offer with another team. Only unemployed athletes may thank such fans.

Hope we didn't disturb you from your non-paid position at (fill in the blank)charity.
    Don't look down here.

mmmm, Young Pitchers justinvarnes's Avatar

I think it is a nice gesture. this isn't a WAR. it's baseball. Damon is a person who gave plenty of happy memories to the Red Sox fans. The fans in turn showed their appreciation. Damon is trying to make sure those fans know that they mean something to him.

He signed with a team who wanted him more the Sox did. That has no bearing on the fans.

Nice move, Johnny. Don't listen to the troglodytes who take this team rivalry thing to an unhealthy level.
    Anonymous internet thread posters say the darndest things.

NYYF Legend

Heard about it on the radio this morning. DJ made a joke that it was because Johnny doesn't want to get booed at Fenway. (Honestly, I don't think it's gonna help!)

Either way, he felt a need to thank the fans, so I don't see it as a big deal.
    You know you're an addict when you put Crackbook on your Crackberry. -Toaderly

I wouldn't see this as a big deal if it was the first time since his signing it has come up, but since he has been signed the guy has talked more about how much he loves the Sox than anything else. Personally I'm tiring of it seeing as how if he was responsible enough to take the money he should be responsible enough to realize what organization he is now a part of ,rather than sound like a whining child who in reality wants to go back to Boston. I have been behind Damon since he signed, but I can't help but feel a bit put off by him considering he is focusing on his past time far more than he is on the present.
    Wilbon: What is it specifically about Arod that guys like Schill and Trot Nixon just can't stand?

Kornheiser: He's better looking, he's cooler, he's got all the money. That's what they can't stand.

Devoted Member
    Viva Las Vegas, 2539 miles from Yankee Stadium

I don't see anything wrong with this. He just wants the fans to know he appreciates them. More professional athletes should be so respectful. I don't think he did this not to get booed, but if I was a sux fan, i wouldn't boo him.

NYYF Legend

He really annoys me. Guy can't live without making himself a news story every day. Ugh.
    Life is a Waste of Time, Time is a Waste of Life, so let's get Wasted all the Time, and have the Time of our Lives

It's not about the destination. It's about the journey.

"Only the good die young"

Quote Originally Posted by UncleSam
    This was a nice, modest gesture by Johnny and it will win him some kudos from most Sox fans. It's pretty much the same thing that Bledsoe did when he went to the Bills. One of the main reasons Clemens was treated so badly when he left is that he said nothing to the fans when he headed to Toronto.
    As much as I support Damon as a Yankee and look forward to a strong season on his part, I just don't see this as the case. Sox fans WILL NOT support a Yankee. It is probably an even bigger sting because he left for Yankee money, Boston was not opposed to bringing him back the way the Pats were with Bledsoe. Roger and Damon will receive the same treatment. I just think that if Damon wanted to sign here, he should let go of Boston. As a Sox fan it almost seems as a slap in the face. As a Yankee fan, its just plain puzzling.

I wouldn't have a problem with this, but the gesture is almost 50 days too late.

With ST closing in on us, it's a time for looking ahead to new beginnings, a new season with a new organization, new teammates, new fans.

Who the hell does Johnny's PR work that they didn't think of doing this back in December and pull it off now.

Nice thought, but poor timing. Stop looking back Johnny. It reminds me of the first semester freshman year of college when everyone is saying how much they miss high school and all their "friends".

Quote Originally Posted by Panamaniac42
    I wouldn't have a problem with this, but the gesture is almost 50 days too late.

With ST closing in on us, it's a time for looking ahead to new beginnings, a new season with a new organization, new teammates, new fans.

Who the hell does Johnny's PR work that they didn't think of doing this back in December and pull it off now.

Nice thought, but poor timing. Stop looking back Johnny. It reminds me of the first semester freshman year of college when everyone is saying how much they miss high school and all their "friends".
    Not bad, maybe something he could have done just prior to signing....

NYYF Legend

Good. Now he should cut his ties to RSN.
    Crush it with your mind vice.

NYYF Legend

I think this was a good idea for JD. We all knew he enjoyed his stay in Boston and he wanted to thank the fans for part of that. I dont see anything wrong with this....this is the final good-bye. (IMO)
    Hoping Rivera can pitch forever!

NYYF Legend

NYC or 2.77 miles from the greatest stadium on earth

Wait till he gets plunked by Schilling and the fenway crowd cheers. I wonder what Johnny will be thinking then. Other than the money of course.
    Words cannot describe how much I hate Derek Jeter and his legion of stupid ass fans.

Quote Originally Posted by YankClipper5
    http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5316424

Article doesn't really reveal anything groundbreaking but the idea that Johnny did this kind of rubs me the wrong way. I know he meant a lot to those fans but he moved to the other side of the fence by his own will. Its not like he was traded or retired or something. I don't think its a big deal but I don't know that it is the best way to start off a relationship with Yankee fans. Any thoughts?
    As a Yankee fan, there are going to be lots of players that come and go and I'm not going to love all of them. Damon will be one of those. He'll be here for 4 years and depending on what he does on the field I'll either appreciate his efforts or think he's a chump. I don't care what he does with the media.
    [FONT=Verdana][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [/FONT]

His true colors are not Red or Yankee blue, they are green, we all know that so who cares what he does as long as he produces this year. Now if he has a ................ty year, then I will have a problem with him.
    I'm too smooth you'll never see me comin', I'm never in a hurry I'm just movin' fast...

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NewEraYanks2527
    His true colors are not Red or Yankee blue, they are green, we all know that so who cares what he does as long as he produces this year. Now if he has a ................ty year, then I will have a problem with him.
    Oakland green?
    Crush it with your mind vice.

Released Outright noneckwilliams's Avatar

It's pretty sickening.

He's despised now in Boston and there's no turning back.

I don't think NYY fans are ever really gonna embrace the guy. I know I won't.

He needs to let go. No matter what he says or does people are going to burn his jersey and/or boo him.

Quote Originally Posted by noneckwilliams
    I don't think NYY fans are ever really gonna embrace the guy. I know I won't.

Ya know, when we signed him I completely wanted to back the guy. I felt like he could bring not just his offensive ability, but I felt liek he might be the one guy who could MAYBE bring that clubhouse a bit closer. With the way he has gone about the entire situation practically openly stating "I want to be somewhere else, but I'm getting paid here.", however, I tend to agree with you that i will never embrace him. It's one thing to feel that way, and in many ways I would expect him to, but it's another to all but proclaim it at every opportunity.
    Wilbon: What is it specifically about Arod that guys like Schill and Trot Nixon just can't stand?

Kornheiser: He's better looking, he's cooler, he's got all the money. That's what they can't stand.

Thread Information