+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: Would we really want Clemens or Pettite back in Pinstripes?

Quote Originally Posted by BJG
    1. How much more than the $17M Andy is due will Clemens make?

2. You have to trade something to get Pettitte.
    Not just something. Even though he makes good money, I'm sure the Astros would ask for a lot to trade Andy.
    “I mean, people knew that Brown was out there, and that Randy was ornery all the time. And Pavano is whoever he is. But if you’re their manager, you can’t go out and write about them like that.

When Andy and Roger were here, they were two of my favorite players. I used to look forward to the days they pitched like you couldn't imagine.

I would love to see either one of them (or both of them) come back, but I honestly don't think this will ever happen.
    "Stand Back Up"

Quote Originally Posted by BillBuckner
    I wish he would have gone all out to keep Pettitte in the first place.
    So do I, but George's history is that he'd rather bring back ex-Yankees than keep what he has.

We have 8 starting pitchers now: RJ, Moose, Pavano, Wang, Chacon, Small, Wright, and Rasner. We have at least 7 relievers (not counting the excess starters) : Mo, Farnsworth, Myers, Sturtze, Villone, Proctor, Mendoza, and Dotel. That doesn't count the Colter Beans of the world. If we sent one of the 8 starters (maybe Wright?), one of the rleievers (Proctor?), a minor-leaguer, and a bundle of cash Houston's way, I think Number 46 could be brought back.

Then go after Zito when he's a free agent and look at that rotation!

Quote Originally Posted by 27IsNext
    Pettitte never wanted to come back anyway.
    I don't think that's true. He waited for an offer. His agents practically begged for a competitive offer. The Yankees claimed he was their number-one priority that offseason, but then they didn't make a comptetive offer until it was too late.

Remember that George had tried to have him traded previously, only to hafve the front office fail to carry it out. George couldn't be bothered to keep him.

But now that he's an ex-Yankee and the Yankees have not won anything lately, he looks better to them. Besides, Brian has more of the control now. As long as the money's available, he could very well try for Andy if he becomes available.

Andy was in New York recently and didn't rule out a return to the Yankees.

NYYF Triple Crown

161 and River Ave, Long Island, Scranton,PA

Quote Originally Posted by BillBuckner
    I wish he would have gone all out to keep Pettitte in the first place.
    We did. We offered more money than Houston did. Pettitte went their b/c of family and his wife. We also didn't offer a ton of money because Yankee officials were questioning his elbow. The same elbow that was hurt for 1/2 the 2004 season.

Quote Originally Posted by 161 and River Ave.
    We did. We offered more money than Houston did. Pettitte went their b/c of family and his wife. We also didn't offer a ton of money because Yankee officials were questioning his elbow. The same elbow that was hurt for 1/2 the 2004 season.
    The Yanks did offer more money, but they did not offer more years..Andy probably wanted more than 3 years but the Yanks (Big Stein & the Tampa Mafia) were unwilling to offer more than 3 years so he told the Yanks to take a hike...also, that elbow that was hurt...I believe he hurt that while batting, not while pitching...
    "Statistics are used much like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support, not illumination."
    -Vin Scully

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by Quangormo
    So do I, but George's history is that he'd rather bring back ex-Yankees than keep what he has.

We have 8 starting pitchers now: RJ, Moose, Pavano, Wang, Chacon, Small, Wright, and Rasner.

Rasner? I pray to god that Rasner won't be in the midst of battling for a rotation spot, if he is, we're in SERIOUS, SERIOUS trouble.

We do have a large amount of starters, however we have a large amount of 3's and 2's...not 1's....Rasner's not even a 3...he has no place in this rotation ATM...let's pray it stays that way...the only way he's in the mix, is if Wang, Pavano, RJ and Moose battle some serious injuries....that's a scary thought...especially because it's possible...

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by OlgMvp
    Rasner? I pray to god that Rasner won't be in the midst of battling for a rotation spot, if he is, we're in SERIOUS, SERIOUS trouble.

We do have a large amount of starters, however we have a large amount of 3's and 2's...not 1's....Rasner's not even a 3...he has no place in this rotation ATM...let's pray it stays that way...the only way he's in the mix, is if Wang, Pavano, RJ and Moose battle some serious injuries....that's a scary thought...especially because it's possible...
    He's getting assigned to AAA. If there were injuries, I'd suspect first it'd be Wright, then Small, then DeSalvo. Check out the minors forum for more on Rasner's signing.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by DandyAndy46
    The Yanks did offer more money, but they did not offer more years..Andy probably wanted more than 3 years but the Yanks (Big Stein & the Tampa Mafia) were unwilling to offer more than 3 years so he told the Yanks to take a hike...also, that elbow that was hurt...I believe he hurt that while batting, not while pitching...
    the injury he sustained while batting has nothing to do with the gap that still exists in his elbow ligament.
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

The gerbil lives Zimmers' Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24
    the injury he sustained while batting has nothing to do with the gap that still exists in his elbow ligament.
    Makes no sense in light of the Yankees willingness to give Pavano 4 years given his history of injuries; or the fact that they were willing to throw $30 million at 39 year old Kevin Brown and his degenerative back.

Not wanting to sign a guy because he might get injured, yet be more than willing to sign a guy who has been or is still injured makes absolutely no sense at all.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Quote Originally Posted by Quangormo
    Andy was in New York recently and didn't rule out a return to the Yankees.
    What ex-Yankee that was a fan favorite HAs ruled out a return to the Yankees? Soriano practically begs to come back everytime he is playing the Yankees in NY.

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmers Helment
    Makes no sense in light of the Yankees willingness to give Pavano 4 years given his history of injuries; or the fact that they were willing to throw $30 million at 39 year old Kevin Brown and his degenerative back.

Not wanting to sign a guy because he might get injured, yet be more than willing to sign a guy who has been or is still injured makes absolutely no sense at all.
    Clemens will get hurt. He'll just get hurt towards the end of the season versus the middle of the season.

NYYF Legend

Forest Lawn Memorial Park - Plot: Court of Freedom Block 7060 Lot 6-A

Clemens, maybe. Andy, I seriously doubt it. IIRC, George never liked him and was always looking for excuses to get rid of him.
    3 4 5 7 8 10 16 37

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmers' Helmet

This is the Tampa Mafia and George we're talking about--it's not suppose to make sense. Thankfully, all of that garbage seems to be a figment of the past with Cashman's new power.

The gerbil lives Zimmers' Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ryanthe13th
    What ex-Yankee that was a fan favorite HAs ruled out a return to the Yankees? Soriano practically begs to come back everytime he is playing the Yankees in NY.

Clemens will get hurt. He'll just get hurt towards the end of the season versus the middle of the season.
    I was referring to Pettitte, not Clemens.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmers' Helmet
    I was referring to Pettitte, not Clemens.
    Sorry about that.

Professionally, I think Pettitte would be a good pick up. However, I would rather get Barry Zito if he hits the FA market. His elbow is definitely an issue, but the 2005 campaign he had put a little bit of those concerns to rest.

Personally, I don't want Pettitte back on the team because he turned down the Yankees to go to Houston with Clemens.

Would depend how the rest of the rotation looked, but yes, of course, they are both still good pitchers.

Sorry about that.

Professionally, I think Pettitte would be a good pick up. However, I would rather get Barry Zito if he hits the FA market. His elbow is definitely an issue, but the 2005 campaign he had put a little bit of those concerns to rest.

Personally, I don't want Pettitte back on the team because he turned down the Yankees to go to Houston with Clemens.
    I'd love to get Zito as a number 2 starter. Problem is, he's never going to hit the market, and he would command too much money even if he did.

I h8 Gehrig38

I'd love to get Zito as a number 2 starter. Problem is, he's never going to hit the market, and he would command too much money even if he did.
    Zito as a #2 is great, but who is the #1?
    "L.A. is fine but it aint home. New York's home but it aint mine no more" Neil Diamond (I am I said)

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie's Moustache
    Roy Oswalt or Phil Hughes or some guy with the most Ks by a lefty ever.

Mussina is coming off the books and so are a few other people that we've signed for 1 year deals. Sheffield is also a FA after this season.

I h8 Gehrig38

Quote Originally Posted by gdn
    Roy Oswalt or Phil Hughes or some guy with the most Ks by a lefty ever.
    Me likey option #1. I hope like hell option #2 pans out. If RJ has a good season this year, that bodes well for 2007, but I wouldn't count on it. Having said that, why not all 3?
    "L.A. is fine but it aint home. New York's home but it aint mine no more" Neil Diamond (I am I said)

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie's Moustache
    Randy for one more year, then hopefully Hughes.

Mussina is coming off the books and so are a few other people that we've signed for 1 year deals. Sheffield is also a FA after this season.
    I think we pick up Sheffield's option next offseason and bring him back to DH, unless Duncan absolutely shows us he's ready. Mussina coming off the books would help with having money to get a good number two starter.

Just think, after the 2007 season, if my scenario came into play, we'd lose Sheffield, Posada, and Johnson all at once. How much money is that?

I hope we pick up Sheffields option. Duncan's first MLB season should be spent platooning with Giambi at 1B if you ask me. It'll give Giambi some time to rest and play also some time to play the field. Sheffield DHing full time next year depends on his performance this year. If he shows any signs of a serious decline, we aren't going to risk it.

I hope we pick up Sheffields option. Duncan's first MLB season should be spent platooning with Giambi at 1B if you ask me. It'll give Giambi some time to rest and play also some time to play the field. Sheffield DHing full time next year depends on his performance this year. If he shows any signs of a serious decline, we aren't going to risk it.
    I doubt that bat declines until he's in his forties, but you never know.

I would take Andy back in a heartbeat. Imagine him in our rotation with RJ and Moose. That would be very solid.

Thread Information