+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Stottlemyre to help coach in spring training.

I know some will have negative things to say about Mel, but I think it's a good move on Cashman's part to help Guidry get familiarize with some of the pitchers that Mel has some insight on.
    Stottlemyre, who was replaced by new pitching coach Ron Guidry, will work with the pitchers for all of spring training.

"It seems like a natural fit," GM Brian Cashman said yesterday. "Gator's in his first year. Mel has a chance to be a lending hand and he has experience with our people. It's a natural, automatic fit, and he is interested in keeping the relationship going. The Boss was all for it. Mel is all for it. I think it's a good idea. He's one of the best pitching coaches of all time. Now he's retired, but he still can help us."
    http://www.nypost.com/sports/yankees/61482.htm
    Please fire Cashman, so some Yankee fans can have hope again.

NYYF Legend

Re: Stottlemyre to help coach in spring training.

Hopefully Mel doesn't tell Guidry that Guidry needs to teach the pitchers to "trust the defence".

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t
    Hopefully Mel doesn't tell Guidry that Guidry needs to teach the pitchers to "trust the defence".
    On que.
    Please fire Cashman, so some Yankee fans can have hope again.

How clever!! But I think the word you are looking for is "defense" with an "s".

Quote Originally Posted by rajah
    How clever!! But I think the word you are looking for is "defense" with an "s".
    That would depend on which country you hail from. Perhaps you should do a little research before throwing out the personal insults.
    ~John

I suppose it can only help. I still don't know what kind of credentials Guidry has for being a pitching coach for a major league team. Being a successful pitcher doesn't carry much weight.
    Let the kids play.

NYYF Legend

Makes sense, but considering how unhappy Mel was, why did he come back?

NYYF Legend

Maybe some of the factors that made Mel unhappy are no longer in effect.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeeah
    Makes sense, but considering how unhappy Mel was, why did he come back?
    If something goes wrong, now he can leave anytime he wants!
    It was then I knew I'd had enough,
    Burned my credit card for fuel
    Headed out to where the pavement turns to sand

Yankee Fan since May 9,1962 jimmyclark's Avatar

Bad decision. Is Mel going to whine again how Steinbrenner "dished" Torre by congratulating Sciosia and the Angels? Let's hope we get lucky and get none of these "he didn't tell us he was hurting" injuries like we did with Parker.DePaula, Sturtze and Wright.

Kerrigan says "What am I , chopped liver?????????"

I can't believe how incredibly stupid this move is.

IS this the innovative thinking that Cash is using his new found power for

Signing Bernie, bringing Mel back- UFB
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

There's nothing wrong with making it a smooth transition and for Mel to offer whatever insight he can. It's actually noble of Mel. I'm sure that Guidry and Kerrigan won't rely on Mel afterwards, so there is no need for anybody to be too concerned.

That said, I'm not sure why Cashman is so enamored with Mel and Torre, but that's my own personal belief.

Quote Originally Posted by Dooley Womack
    There's nothing wrong with making it a smooth transition and for Mel to offer whatever insights he can. It's actually noble of Mel.

I'm sure that Guidry and Kerrigan won't rely on Mel afterwards, so there is no need for anybody to be too concerned.
    I agree. I just don't know why Guidry was chosen to begin with.
    Let the kids play.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ring403
    That would depend on which country you hail from. Perhaps you should do a little research before throwing out the personal insults.
    Not to mention that the point still remains...

I was hoping that Kerrigan would play this role, but I suppose it won't be that big of a deal. Then again, I'd prefer Mel stayed far away from our pitchers.
    “I mean, people knew that Brown was out there, and that Randy was ornery all the time. And Pavano is whoever he is. But if you’re their manager, you can’t go out and write about them like that.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bub
    I agree. I just don't know why Guidry was chosen to begin with.
    It was Joe's decision...
    “I mean, people knew that Brown was out there, and that Randy was ornery all the time. And Pavano is whoever he is. But if you’re their manager, you can’t go out and write about them like that.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    It was Joe's decision...
    Still doesn't answer why. What kind of teaching tools does Guidry bring? Where's the resume?
    Let the kids play.

As long as he doesnt tell any of the pitchers that they're 'striking too many guys out', I have no problem.

Nothing against Guidry, but I don't see the teaching experience. Also, he was 1 in a thousand when it comes to throwing a slider. Most pitchers can't get it to break like he did, and if it's not thrown just right it's a very hittable pitch. I hope he doesn't introduce it to those who've never thrown it.
    Let the kids play.

I don't really see what the big deal is. It's spring training, not the regular season and it's not like Mel is going to be the primary pitching coach. In addition, while I agree that it was time for Mel to retire, he's still an intelligent man who knows a lot about pitching. Given that it's Guidry's first year, I think it's a good way to smooth the transition. Once the regular season starts Guidry will be on his own to coach the pitchers completely in his own way.

-Deborah
    [URL="http://www.aplaceformyphotos.com/blog/"]http://www.aplaceformyphotos.com/blog/[/URL]

I do not post on NoMaas. That silverdsl is not this silverdsl.

I don't think this move is a knock to the current pitching coaches, simply the help the transition. Not only that, Mel and Joe have a close relationship so even if Mel was unhappy, it could be as a favor to Joe and to help get the new coaches acclimated. As for Guidry's coaching experience, wasn't he helping in Spring Training for a couple of years? This would be similar to Donnie stepping in. Not to mention, some former pitchers have seen success in the role, i.e. Hershiser in Texas.

haha ...

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

(AP) Yanks Baffled By Pitching Turn Around
    The newly crowned 2006 World Series Champion New York Yankees, which won 118 games in the regular season and swept through the post season--mostly on the strength of their pitching, are at a loss to explain the dramatic turn around in their pitching staff. The Yankees set a spring training record for team ERA, at 55.66, and proceeded to set a regular season record 1.01, and a post season record at 0.05.
    "I just can't explain it", said manager Joe Torre. "There really is no rhyme or reason. To attempt to blame one person, is ludicrous. Mel is a great coach, which is why we're asking him back this spring."
    In other Yankees news, the Yankees were stunned by the announcement that the entire pitching staff has asked to be traded. Story to follow.
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2014)
    Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by ring403
    I never knew that was a British variation of "defense." Thanks for the new info.
    [SIZE=3]It's our game, the American game... and a blessing to us. --Walt Whitman[/SIZE]

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso
    (AP) Yanks Baffled By Pitching Turn Around
    The newly crowned 2006 World Series Champion New York Yankees, which won 118 games in the regular season and swept through the post season--mostly on the strength of their pitching, are at a loss to explain the dramatic turn around in their pitching staff. The Yankees set a spring training record for team ERA, at 55.66, and proceeded to set a regular season record 1.01, and a post season record at 0.05.
    "I just can't explain it", said manager Joe Torre. "There really is no rhyme or reason. To attempt to blame one person, is ludicrous. Mel is a great coach, which is why we're asking him back this spring."
    In other Yankees news, the Yankees were stunned by the announcement that the entire pitching staff has asked to be traded. Story to follow.

I think all this amounts to is Mel (and his wife) getting an all-expenses-paid trip to Florida to get out of the Washington weather and work on their suntans...I'm thinking he'll be able to add some insight into what was being done last season with each pitcher, what worked, what didn't work, etc...Guidry and Kerrigan, who are just walking into a new situation, would be fools not to at least be open-minded to any type of information, advice, etc...in the end, I'm sure they're men enough to formulate thier own game plan and implement it....

Regroup - Reload - Revenge! 23and2's Avatar

Good, Mel will be there to give Kerrigan and Guidry a first hand account of how he managed the pitching staff over the years. Probably not much different than a drug addict doing motivational speaking to teens about how not turn into a drug addict. Scared straight, baby! Should be interesting!
    [U]Thanks, Frank [/U]
    "We'll try to take that extra million-one and spend it wisely in the free-agent market," - Brian Cashman after trading away Womack - 12/08/05

Thread Information