+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NJ Labor Laws?

NYYF Legend

NJ Labor Laws?

Ever since I've turned 18, my employer has stopped giving me breaks. The last few weekends I've worked 8.5 hr+ shifts without even the offer of a break. I'm trying to figure out whether or not this is legal. Advice/answers, anyone?

Thanks,
    Ryan

Disgusting Baiting Troll j.g. Archer1979's Avatar

Re: NJ Labor Laws?

Quote Originally Posted by RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
    Ever since I've turned 18, my employer has stopped giving me breaks. The last few weekends I've worked 8.5 hr+ shifts without even the offer of a break. I'm trying to figure out whether or not this is legal. Advice/answers, anyone?

Thanks,
    Ryan
    Do you get bathroom breaks? I can't see how they can stop those.
    Quote Originally Posted by yankeeschic12324
    Cheetos

EDIT: I hate you guys.

37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees

Thanks,
    Ryan
    Google is your friend. A search of "new jersey labor law breaks" turned up this page: http://www.nj.gov/labor/lsse/lsgenfaq.html

Q. What kind of breaks do I get? Are breaks and lunches required by law?

A. Mandatory break laws apply only to minors under the age of 18. Company policy dictates break and lunch periods for anyone over the age of 18. Minors under the age of 18 must be given a thirty (30) minute meal period after five (5) consecutive hours of work.

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Big_E
    Google is your friend. A search of "new jersey labor law breaks" turned up this page: http://www.nj.gov/labor/lsse/lsgenfaq.html

A. Mandatory break laws apply only to minors under the age of 18. Company policy dictates break and lunch periods for anyone over the age of 18. Minors under the age of 18 must be given a thirty (30) minute meal period after five (5) consecutive hours of work.
    Blah.

Thanks for the help.

NYYF Legend

Well that stinks.
    Crush it with your mind vice.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1979
    Do you get bathroom breaks? I can't see how they can stop those.
    He's a big boy now, he can hold it in.

Yankee Stadium: 1923-2008 DiMaggio5CF's Avatar

Is this a career? Is this a stepping stone to your career? Then suck it up.

Is this just a bull................ job for low pay? Then ................ it; take your breaks when you want and if your employer complains, go someplace where they'll give you a break.

In WA you get a 1/2 hour if your scheduled 5 hours or more. Your break can be no earlier than 2 hours into the shift and no later than 5 hours into the shift. CA has a similiar law I believe. Wal Mart just got nailed for $180M for not giving breaks in CA.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by DiMaggio5CF
    Is this a career? Is this a stepping stone to your career? Then suck it up.

Is this just a bull................ job for low pay? Then ................ it; take your breaks when you want and if your employer complains, go someplace where they'll give you a break.
    Exactly.

Does your boss take breaks to eat? If so ask them when your chance to eat and take a break will be. It doesn't hurt to ask.

I work part time at a retail store... if you work between 4 and 5.5 hrs, you get a 15 minute break. 6-7, you get a half hour break plus the 15 minute break. Anything over 7, you get an hour plus 2 15 minute breaks... makes the day much better.

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Wow, that stinks. At my company, some wish to skip lunch but the company makes us take a lunch.
    Life is good!

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

I'll see what I can find on Monday. I know a few people in Newark who specialize in labor law.
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee
    I'll see what I can find on Monday. I know a few people in Newark who specialize in labor law.
    The question was already answered.
    Whatever you think...
    Well, you're wrong.

37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

If he finds an answer different than the one the NJ Dept of Labor had on their home page, then I'd be very surprised.

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by GoRocket
    Wow, that stinks. At my company, some wish to skip lunch but the company makes us take a lunch.
    Overachievers.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY
    The question was already answered.
    If he finds an answer different than the one the NJ Dept of Labor had on their home page, then I'd be very surprised.
    I hadn't realized it's already been answered. The guys I deal with mostly deal with the corporate clients. In addition to things like whether employees were legally and properly terminated, they also investigate things like whether someone was fired as a result of being a "whistle-blower", they also deal with issues such as sexual harassment. Additionally, they try getting permanent citizenship or extended visas for employees born overseas.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

I hadn't realized it's already been answered. The guys I deal with mostly deal with the corporate clients. In addition to things like whether employees were legally and properly terminated, they also investigate things like whether someone was fired as a result of being a "whistle-blower", they also deal with issues such as sexual harassment. Additionally, they try getting permanent citizenship or extended visas for employees born overseas.
    TMI ..
    Whatever you think...
    Well, you're wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY
    TMI ..
    What's TMI? Too much information? (as if my post count weren't high enough already)

Thread Information