+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 639
  1. #1
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    lil'rhody

    Sopranos Season 6

    http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/3447/march122bj.png

    Starts March 12. About f'n time.

  2. #2
    NYYF Legend

    krystl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Westchester NY

    Re: Sopranos Season 6

    And I was going to cancel HBO. Now I gotta wait till Sopranos ends.
    You know you're an addict when you put Crackbook on your Crackberry. -Toaderly

  3. #3
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    lil'rhody

    Re: Sopranos Season 6

    Quote Originally Posted by krystl
    And I was going to cancel HBO. Now I gotta wait till Sopranos ends.
    I'm the opposite...I need to get it again.

  4. #4
    NYYF Legend

    krystl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Westchester NY

    Re: Sopranos Season 6

    Well, I meant to cancel it after Six Feet Under ended, but I never did.
    You know you're an addict when you put Crackbook on your Crackberry. -Toaderly

  5. #5
    NYYF Legend

    Barb51850's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Astoria, NY

    Re: Sopranos Season 6

    Hope it's worth the wait.
    Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer. ~Ted Williams

  6. #6

    Re: Sopranos Season 6

    The characters on the Sopranos are low life thugs, the dregs of society and yet people watch the show and are entertained by the glorification of the worst element in our society. I just don't get it?

  7. #7
    Released Outright
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Too far from Yankee Stadium

    Re: Sopranos Season 6

    Just remember folks - they added episodes to the original slate, so this means they're either going to split up season 6 or have a mini-season 7. The good news is they've either filmed all of them or are in the process of doing so. This means we won't have to wait thirteen years for the follow up episodes.

    I thought last season was better than the previous two, but quite frankly it's time to put this baby to bed. I hope they don't try to extend it after this. There's only so many stories this genre can yield and I think Chase has exhausted them all. At this point I'm pretty much sticking around just to see what happens to Tony (my personal bet is that Chris takes him out).

  8. #8
    Released Outright
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Too far from Yankee Stadium

    Re: Sopranos Season 6

    Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs
    The characters on the Sopranos are low life thugs, the dregs of society and yet people watch the show and are entertained by the glorification of the worst element in our society. I just don't get it?
    No, you don't. The show doesn't glorify this lifestyle in any way, shape, or form. The show is fairly black and white in its depictions of these people as bad people. However, being that they're not one dimensional we get to see what their behavior does to them as people and vice versa.

  9. #9
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    lil'rhody

    Re: Sopranos Season 6

    Quote Originally Posted by BronxByTheBay
    At this point I'm pretty much sticking around just to see what happens to Tony (my personal bet is that Chris takes him out).
    That's how it has to end. He can't just go on living his life and I don't see the Feds getting to him.

  10. #10

    Re: Sopranos Season 6

    Quote Originally Posted by BronxByTheBay
    No, you don't. The show doesn't glorify this lifestyle in any way, shape, or form. The show is fairly black and white in its depictions of these people as bad people. However, being that they're not one dimensional we get to see what their behavior does to them as people and vice versa.
    OK "glorification" may have been the wrong word... but it has zero entertainment value to me. I guess that's why the remote was invented? To each his own....

  11. #11
    Released Outright
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Too far from Yankee Stadium

    Re: Sopranos Season 6

    Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan
    That's how it has to end. He can't just go on living his life and I don't see the Feds getting to him.
    OR...Chris could finally snap and rollover. The guy came close a few times. All it could take is another perceived slight.

  12. #12
    Released Outright
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Too far from Yankee Stadium

    Re: Sopranos Season 6

    Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs
    OK "glorification" may have been the wrong word... but it has zero entertainment value to me. I guess that's why the remote was invented? To each his own....
    Yup. 31 flavors and all of that.

  13. #13
    Movin' on Bub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Clifton Park, New York

    Re: Sopranos Season 6

    I think they're grooming AJ to place him in the business. The kid is semi-rotten to begin with, and he has the attitude. At first, Tony would object, but over time that would change.
    Let the kids play.

  14. #14

    Re: Sopranos Season 6

    Can't wait, though i agree with BronxBytheBay, its time to wrap things up, lest the show end up in a stagmire of mediocrity.
    Fall down a rabbit hole: Joe Frank.com

  15. #15
    Released Outright
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Too far from Yankee Stadium

    Re: Sopranos Season 6

    Quote Originally Posted by Bub
    I think they're grooming AJ to place him in the business. The kid is semi-rotten to begin with, and he has the attitude. At first, Tony would object, but over time that would change.
    The problem with that is A.J. is a complete moron with no ambition. The show has repeatedly shown that he's "soft".

  16. #16
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    lil'rhody

    Re: Sopranos Season 6

    Quote Originally Posted by Bub
    I think they're grooming AJ to place him in the business. The kid is semi-rotten to begin with, and he has the attitude. At first, Tony would object, but over time that would change.
    Tony has said on the show how he doesn't want his kids to end up like him. He knows he's a bad person and wants better for his kids.

    Quote Originally Posted by BronxByTheBay
    The problem with that is A.J. is a complete moron with no ambition. The show has repeatedly shown that he's "soft".
    A.J. would never last in "the life" like his dad. He's a whiny lazy nothing. He's the most annoying character on an otherwise outstanding show. Usually the annoying ones are either funny annoying (Paulie) or killed off (Jackie Jr.)

  17. #17
    Released Outright
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Too far from Yankee Stadium

    Re: Sopranos Season 6

    Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan
    Tony has said on the show how he doesn't want his kids to end up like him. He knows he's a bad person and wants better for his kids.



    A.J. would never last in "the life" like his dad. He's a whiny lazy nothing. He's the most annoying character on an otherwise outstanding show. Usually the annoying ones are either funny annoying (Paulie) or killed off (Jackie Jr.)
    I actually like what they've done with the kids. They're both been spoiled and act just as you would expect wealthy, spoiled children to act. The fact that Tony is a mobster doesn't seem to impress them, which is a funny running gag.

  18. #18

    Re: Sopranos Season 6

    Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs
    OK "glorification" may have been the wrong word... but it has zero entertainment value to me. I guess that's why the remote was invented? To each his own....
    So you thought the Godfather and Goodfellas sucked?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee
    Who in their right mind would pay several thousand bucks to have some chick poop on their face like a beard?


  19. #19

    Re: Sopranos Season 6

    My two cents on the "mob glorification" issue raised by FredGMuggs:

    In my view, the mob scenario is merely the tasty bait Chase uses to lure people to sit down and watch the show. The Sopranos is really not about the Mafia at all. I read the show more as a harsh critique of contemporary American society and values, particularly the upper middle and wealthy classes. It's easy for the audience (which probably skews towards a middle to upper middle class demographic) to condemn Tony because of the lifestyle he leads to get the big house, the trophy wife, and all of the rest of it. But I think Chase's challenge to all of us is to look at ourselves, and more importantly, the organizations many of us work for, and our political leadership and ask ourselves: where are the lines between Tony, and America in its age of unmatched political, economic, social, and military might in the post cold-war era? Are Tony's values really beyond the pale in such a society? This is what I take to be the show's bedrock theme that hides behind the American kabuki masks of the mafia imagery.

    In any case, as other posters have pointed out, this show is anything but a mindless glorification of the Mafia. Far, far from it.
    Fall down a rabbit hole: Joe Frank.com

  20. #20
    Released Outright
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Too far from Yankee Stadium

    Re: Sopranos Season 6

    Quote Originally Posted by mjdlight
    My two cents on the "mob glorification" issue raised by FredGMuggs:

    In my view, the mob scenario is merely the tasty bait Chase uses to lure people to sit down and watch the show. The Sopranos is really not about the Mafia at all. I read the show more as a harsh critique of contemporary American society and values, particularly the upper middle and wealthy classes. It's easy for the audience (which probably skews towards a middle to upper middle class demographic) to condemn Tony because of the lifestyle he leads to get the big house, the trophy wife, and all of the rest of it. But I think Chase's challenge to all of us is to look at ourselves, and more importantly, the organizations many of us work for, and our political leadership and ask ourselves: where are the lines between Tony, and America in its age of unmatched political, economic, social, and military might in the post cold-war era? Are Tony's values really beyond the pale in such a society? This is what I take to be the show's bedrock theme that hides behind the American kabuki masks of the mafia imagery.

    In any case, as other posters have pointed out, this show is anything but a mindless glorification of the Mafia. Far, far from it.

    I don't think it cuts as deeply as you're suggesting. It's hard for Tony to be a mirror to most people as we don't generally engage in murder and theft. I do think the mob stuff is just a frame to hang the family dynamics, though. The first two seasons were primarily about Tony's relationship with his mother. The last two seasons have focused on his relationship with his wife. Chase is saying more about deteriorating families than suggesting we're all criminals. Sure, the mafia premise allows him to exaggerate for effect (i.e. Carmella's superficial Catholicism in the face of what her husband does - it can be taken as a condemnation of "buffet" Christians).

    It's all good stuff in any event. It's funny, but of all the characters on the show I've grown to despise I think Carmella is at the top of the list.

  21. #21
    NYYF Legend

    Barb51850's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Astoria, NY

    Re: Sopranos Season 6

    Quote Originally Posted by BronxByTheBay
    I don't think it cuts as deeply as you're suggesting. It's hard for Tony to be a mirror to most people as we don't generally engage in murder and theft. I do think the mob stuff is just a frame to hang the family dynamics, though. The first two seasons were primarily about Tony's relationship with his mother. The last two seasons have focused on his relationship with his wife. Chase is saying more about deteriorating families than suggesting we're all criminals. Sure, the mafia premise allows him to exaggerate for effect (i.e. Carmella's superficial Catholicism in the face of what her husband does - it can be taken as a condemnation of "buffet" Christians).

    It's all good stuff in any event. It's funny, but of all the characters on the show I've grown to despise I think Carmella is at the top of the list.
    Interesting comments. Being from an Italian background, I find so many of the scenes familiar. There was an episode (I don't remember what season) when Uncle Junior was singing a song in a restaurant, and almost the entire family and associates were present. The song was in Italian, and most of the adults were wiping tears from their eyes while he was singing. The children were sitting there completely bored. The adults were mourning the passing of an era, and the connection to the "old country" which Uncle Junior represented. I found that scene very "Italian" and it could have easily taken place in my grandfather's house.
    Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer. ~Ted Williams

  22. #22

    Re: Sopranos Season 6

    Quote Originally Posted by RhodeyYankee2638
    So you thought the Godfather and Goodfellas sucked?
    I knew someone would bring that up. Yes, I've seen them (and quoted them like everybody else in the world has)... but they're not favorites of mine. You can add Casino, Scareface and a bunch of others to the list as well. The only mob movie I really like is "Bronx Tale". Sorry, but I'm not a fan of the genre. BronxByTheBay hit the nail on the head when he said "Yup. 31 flavors and all of that."

  23. #23
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    lil'rhody

    Re: Sopranos Season 6

    Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs
    I knew someone would bring that up. Yes, I've seen them (and quoted them like everybody else in the world has)... but they're not favorites of mine. You can add Casino, Scareface and a bunch of others to the list as well. The only mob movie I really like is "Bronx Tale". Sorry, but I'm not a fan of the genre. BronxByTheBay hit the nail on the head when he said "Yup. 31 flavors and all of that."
    Yeah, Scareface was a POS film.

  24. #24
    Released Outright
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Too far from Yankee Stadium

    Re: Sopranos Season 6

    Quote Originally Posted by Barb51850
    Interesting comments. Being from an Italian background, I find so many of the scenes familiar. There was an episode (I don't remember what season) when Uncle Junior was singing a song in a restaurant, and almost the entire family and associates were present. The song was in Italian, and most of the adults were wiping tears from their eyes while he was singing. The children were sitting there completely bored. The adults were mourning the passing of an era, and the connection to the "old country" which Uncle Junior represented. I found that scene very "Italian" and it could have easily taken place in my grandfather's house.
    That's the other thing I do love about the series - we know these people. Anyone who grew up back east is infinitely familiar with some of the characters and traits of these folks. The obsession with food on the show is hysterical. (Of course, I'd be obsessed too if I were surrounded by that kind of Italian cooking 24/7).

  25. #25
    NYYF Legend

    Barb51850's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Astoria, NY

    Re: Sopranos Season 6

    Quote Originally Posted by BronxByTheBay
    That's the other thing I do love about the series - we know these people. Anyone who grew up back east is infinitely familiar with some of the characters and traits of these folks. The obsession with food on the show is hysterical. (Of course, I'd be obsessed too if I were surrounded by that kind of Italian cooking 24/7).
    Ah yes, the food -

    Comment by AJ when told his grandmother would not be over the house for dinner:

    "What? No f**kin' ziti now!?"
    Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer. ~Ted Williams

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts