+ Reply to Thread
Page 919 of 1058 FirstFirst ... 419 819 869 909 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 929 969 1019 ... LastLast
Results 22,951 to 22,975 of 26447
    NYYF Triple Crown

Re: What's on the menu this evening?

Quinoa is good - high in protein and fiber...

I made some beef chili in my slow cooker - not to be arrogant, but boy was it good!
    “The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible and achieves the impossible."

"Money can't buy you happiness, but it will pay for the search." Prince

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

Half a sandwich that I'd made Monday night. Still tasted quite fresh, since it was refrigerated. Some Halal olive loaf salami, then corned beef, pastrami on oat bran, then added some red leaf, mayo, mustard.

Lots of chocolates. The local pharmacy had two big thingies of chocolate chips (one w/peanut butter, the next w/toffee) for like $6. I couldn't resist.

I need me some soup, but I have absolutely none.
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

I have a sweet potato, black bean and pork stew in the crock. Made it up as I went along so fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharona1975 View Post
    I have a sweet potato, black bean and pork stew in the crock. Made it up as I went along so fingers crossed.
    If it works, please give us an idea of what you did - those are three foods we love at my house!

To be sane is more dramatic than to be mad - GK Chesterton, Orthodoxy

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee View Post
    Half a sandwich that I'd made Monday night. Still tasted quite fresh, since it was refrigerated. Some Halal olive loaf salami, then corned beef, pastrami on oat bran, then added some red leaf, mayo, mustard.

Lots of chocolates. The local pharmacy had two big thingies of chocolate chips (one w/peanut butter, the next w/toffee) for like $6. I couldn't resist.

I need me some soup, but I have absolutely none.
    OK, you've done it...I choose not to eat goat but I know people besides you who do and like it, and I guess technically I eat boiled meat because I have corned beef, which you cook in liquid, but olive loaf...

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    Quinoa with toasted almonds and bacon - even better than the first time I made it.

BTW, if you haven't tried quinoa, well, you should.
    I had Red Quinoa last night, too, with a seasoned turkey burger (no bun) and kale sauteed with garlic and olive oil

Will have some more tonight with my own verson of Thai peanut chicken and sauteed broc
    Dawn

NYYF Legend

Los Angeles, Ca., a transplanted New Yorker

Quote Originally Posted by allybear View Post
    That sounds delicious and nutritious! We're having cube steaks with peppers and onions on garlic bread (not as good for me as your dinner, but hopefully, it will be tasty). It is multi-grain garlic bread, though.
    I try to eat healthy most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    Quinoa with toasted almonds and bacon - even better than the first time I made it.

BTW, if you haven't tried quinoa, well, you should.
    I love Quinoa and I like the red quinoa. Both are very nutritious.

Quote Originally Posted by destelle View Post
    I had Red Quinoa last night, too, with a seasoned turkey burger (no bun) and kale sauteed with garlic and olive oil

Will have some more tonight with my own verson of Thai peanut chicken and sauteed broc
    That is a healthy meal. I love kale and it is so healthy!

28 in '12

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

I feel like having penne vodka tonight but I wish I could make it like the restaurant down the street. It's a thicker sauce and not as much vodka as, say, the recipe from Gida whatshername......it's got tiny pieces of onion in it......does anyone have one that's good and that's not just vodka and tomato sauce?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers View Post
    I feel like having penne vodka tonight but I wish I could make it like the restaurant down the street. It's a thicker sauce and not as much vodka as, say, the recipe from Gida whatshername......it's got tiny pieces of onion in it......does anyone have one that's good and that's not just vodka and tomato sauce?
    Trish posted one I think. I will see if I have it. I think I printed it out. And I believe she uses shallots instead of onions.
    You know you're an addict when you put Crackbook on your Crackberry. -Toaderly

NYYF Legend

Here it is, Vick. I was able to find it because the page I printed had the date on it, so I just went back in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Trish View Post
    OK, here's how I make it, more or less. I sometimes don't use vodka if I don't have it in the house.

4 tbsp olive oil
    2 shallots, chopped (you can use regular or green onions but the shallots are best IMO)
    4 cloves of garlic, minced
    6 basil leaves, chopped
    1/2 cup vodka
    28 oz can of crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce (sometimes I use more sauce if I want extra)
    1/2 pint heavy cream
    penne or rigatoni
    prosciutto (I use 1/4 lb or 1/2 pound of the sliced and chop it up)

Brown the prosciutto in a non-stick skillet till it's done how you like it. I like it on the crispy side.

In a medium saucepan, heat the oil and then add the garlic, shallots and basil and cook till soft, about 8 minutes. Don't let it brown too much.

Add vodka and raise heat to boiling, stirring frequently (if my husband's home, he does that flambe thing, but I'm too scared to do it myself). Lower heat and cook for another 5 minutes or so.

Add sauce or crushed tomatoes, continue cooking about 10 minutes.

Add cream and heat through another 5 minutes. Add the prosciutto at the end.

Serve over cooked pasta.

I haven't been in charge of dinner for awhile (we were still eating SuperBowl party leftovers until last week. Embarrassingly.). So, I have Hungarian goulash in the crock. I've never made it, but there was a recipe in one of those supermarket checkout slow-cooker recipe booklets that I seem to collect but never use. Crossing my fingers that it comes out OK. I have some...concerns about it!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by xenadanielle View Post
    I haven't been in charge of dinner for awhile (we were still eating SuperBowl party leftovers until last week. Embarrassingly.). So, I have Hungarian goulash in the crock. I've never made it, but there was a recipe in one of those supermarket checkout slow-cooker recipe booklets that I seem to collect but never use. Crossing my fingers that it comes out OK. I have some...concerns about it!
    Hope it comes out good! I've never made Hungarian Goulash, but I think my mom did. It's basically stew, no?

Dinner for me tonight will be somewhere in the city, either on the way to the Garden or after the concert, depending on if we get down there early enough to stop before hand.

Quote Originally Posted by krystl View Post
    Hope it comes out good! I've never made Hungarian Goulash, but I think my mom did. It's basically stew, no?

Dinner for me tonight will be somewhere in the city, either on the way to the Garden or after the concert, depending on if we get down there early enough to stop before hand.
    Concert? What concert?

Yeah, it's sort of like stew: beef stew meat in a sort of tomato-y paprika sauce with green pepper and onion, served over noodles. My mom used to make it a lot when we were kids. I thought I had enough meat to double the recipe, but not quite. So I don't know if I adjusted the proportions of the vegetables and seasonings correctly. We shall see!

Here is something else I meant to mention/ask about: has anyone ever used Meyer lemons? I've seen them used on cooking shows a lot recently but had never actually seen them in stores. Shockingly, Acme had them earlier this week. So I bought a few, even though I have no idea what I am going to do with them LOL. They are supposed to be a cross between a lemon and a mandarin orange.

NYYF Legend

Bon Jovi (I've probably mentioned that several times!)

Last time we went to MSG, we had dinner at the Playwright, where the nyyfans forum party was. It was very good. I don't know if we'll get down there early enough tonight though.

NYYF Legend

As for Meyer Lemons, I have heard of them (had a recipe for Meyer Lemon french fries) but I have not used them. I don't know what the difference is.

Last time we went to MSG, we had dinner at the Playwright, where the nyyfans forum party was. It was very good. I don't know if we'll get down there early enough tonight though.
    Ah, I somehow missed that about the Bon Jovi concert. I haven't been on here as much as I used to be lately. How exciting, my NJ homies. I have never seen them in concert, but have seen Bruce Springsteen a couple of times. LOL.

Have fun!

As for Meyer Lemons, I have heard of them (had a recipe for Meyer Lemon french fries) but I have not used them. I don't know what the difference is.
    They are supposed to be sweeter.

I was just home for lunch and my Hungarian goulash smells really freaking delicious. It looks good, too--and very paprika-y red--bubbling away in the crock.

NYYF Legend

Here it is, Vick. I was able to find it because the page I printed had the date on it, so I just went back in the thread.
    Thanks Karen! I appreciate you doing the leg work (or finger typing work) to find it!

NYYF Legend

I love the food there.

Have a great time at Bon Jovi tonight. I take it you are feeling better? That's good.

Quote Originally Posted by allybear View Post
    If it works, please give us an idea of what you did - those are three foods we love at my house!
    It came out very good. I used pork loin cut into chunks. I added some currants after it had finished cooking for a little sweetness. It was seasoned with ginger and cilantro mostly. Salt and white pepper. Some apple juice. It was a little too runny so I added a box of frozen butternut squash puree to thicken it up. I think next time I'll use more ginger. I only had a tiny piece of root and it was so small it was hard to shave.

NYYF Legend

Concert? What concert?

Yeah, it's sort of like stew: beef stew meat in a sort of tomato-y paprika sauce with green pepper and onion, served over noodles. My mom used to make it a lot when we were kids. I thought I had enough meat to double the recipe, but not quite. So I don't know if I adjusted the proportions of the vegetables and seasonings correctly. We shall see!

Here is something else I meant to mention/ask about: has anyone ever used Meyer lemons? I've seen them used on cooking shows a lot recently but had never actually seen them in stores. Shockingly, Acme had them earlier this week. So I bought a few, even though I have no idea what I am going to do with them LOL. They are supposed to be a cross between a lemon and a mandarin orange.
    I have used Meyer lemons. They have more of an orange flavor, sweeter than a normal lemon, a nice change of pace. I buy them at Trader Joe and at the local Farmer's Market. I have also seen them at Costco.

28 in '12

NYYF Legend

I made grilled Tuna and served it with some Ratatouille I got frozen at Trader Joe's and some brown rice.

28 in '12

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

A bowl of Spanish chicken soup, some Arroz con pollo (mixed w/boiled curried goat meat, natcherly), and some juice.

C'mon over, Vicki!!!
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

Holy carp - that's what I made last night too. How was yours? Mine was pretty good, so if you want the recipe, just let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharona1975 View Post
    It came out very good. I used pork loin cut into chunks. I added some currants after it had finished cooking for a little sweetness. It was seasoned with ginger and cilantro mostly. Salt and white pepper. Some apple juice. It was a little too runny so I added a box of frozen butternut squash puree to thicken it up. I think next time I'll use more ginger. I only had a tiny piece of root and it was so small it was hard to shave.
    Sounds good - I am going to try something like that (maybe next week, I have a pork loin in the freezer) and I will let you know. Ginger...yum.

Thread Information