+ Reply to Thread
Page 191 of 1058 FirstFirst ... 91 141 181 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 201 241 291 691 ... LastLast
Results 4,751 to 4,775 of 26447
    NYYF Legend

Los Angeles, Ca., a transplanted New Yorker

Re: What's on the menu this evening?

Quote Originally Posted by Gringaloca
    Leftover 'sauce' & pasta. When I 'do' cook on the weekends...I always have plenty to freeze.
    I make all my sauce in the summer from fresh tomatoes I buy at outdoor Farmer's Market. I freeze enough to last me for the winter. Last year I got soft Heirloom tomatoes at a good price. I made tomato sauce in all colors, yellow, orange, green, and red! Delicioso!

28 in '12

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by krystl
    Mashed cauliflower sounds good. I like it but never tried to mash it.

I put on a pot of sauce this afternoon but no one ate home, so I put it in the fridge and tomorrow I'll cook up some Italian sausages to add to it.
    I never made mashed cauliflower but I would imagine it would have to be pureed in the food processor. I had some in a raw food restaurant and it tasted pretty good.

28 in '12

NYYF Legend

Watermelon.
    Disco Stu:
    Nick Swisher has agreed to a $56 mil, 4 year contract with the Cleveland Indians. Good riddance!!!

teknetic
    .268/.367/.483 .850 during his four years here. Can we get rid of you instead?

NYYF Legend

Tonight I made Broiled Salmon again, served with Brown Rice and a Big Mixed Salad.

28 in '12

NYYF MVP

Taiwan Beer and rerun of the CG a la Wang.

About 12 bucks for a six pack. Good beer!
    [COLOR=red]Wang for All and All for Wang![/COLOR]

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Octoberbaby
    I never made mashed cauliflower but I would imagine it would have to be pureed in the food processor. I had some in a raw food restaurant and it tasted pretty good.
    I guess it depends on how lumpy you like your mashed potatoes.

Caulifower gets pretty mushy of you cook it long enough, so I'd think just mashing it would be fine.
    I'm gonna have to buy some and try it.
    You know you're an addict when you put Crackbook on your Crackberry. -Toaderly

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Asian rub (garlic, white pepper, ginger) steak tonight

Quote Originally Posted by LDG
    Hahaha, don't I know it!

What do you do to your mashed cauliflower? Milk, salt & pepper?
    I steam it, then pop it in the food processor with a little milk, S&P, garlic and smidgen of butter and sour cream...
    I am almost liking it better than real mashed potatoes ... and it is a heck of lot healthier.
    Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan
    Asian rub (garlic, white pepper, ginger) steak tonight
    That's what I forgot in my steak marinade last night!!!
    Enjoy!!
    Dawn

NYYF Legend

I'm gonna fry up some Italian sausages and add them to the pot of sauce I made last night and we'll have spaghetti or some pasta.
    Don't know when we're eating yet because my son's coach just changed practice from 5-7 to 6-8:30.

I guess we have to eat early.

This thread has made me really hungry. I didn't eat breakfast.
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
    -- Neil deGrasse Tyson

I'm gonna fry up some Italian sausages and add them to the pot of sauce I made last night and we'll have spaghetti or some pasta.
    Don't know when we're eating yet because my son's coach just changed practice from 5-7 to 6-8:30.

I guess we have to eat early.
    Hey Karen - would you like to tell me your recipe for sauce if it isn't a secret? It's the one thing I have never made, and I keep seeing people make it and I figure I would give it a try...
    I honestly don't even know where to begin...
    Thanks!!
    Dawn

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by destelle
    Hey Karen - would you like to tell me your recipe for sauce if it isn't a secret? It's the one thing I have never made, and I keep seeing people make it and I figure I would give it a try...
    I honestly don't even know where to begin...
    Thanks!!
    I'm no expert, but my sauce usually comes out pretty good.

I put some olive oil in a sauce pot and add chopped onions, sauteeing them for a bit, then I add chopped garlic, but not until you are almost ready to add the tomato paste because it will burn fast.

Add a can of tomato paste and stir it around a bit, then add water a little at a time. It can be a little thin because it will thicken as you cook it, but not too watery. Sometimes I add a little red wine if I have a bottle open. I also like shredded parmesan cheese in my sauce, so I add that too, along with some seasoning (italian seasoning, salt and pepper, maybe a little garlic and onion powder) and I aways add a little sugar (maybe a teaspoon) to take the edge off the acidity of the tomatoes.

Cover and let it simmer on low, and keep stirring periodically. If it's getting a little too thick, add more water, unless you like it thick.
    After it's been simmering awhile, add a can or two of either pureed tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, or tomato sauce. I switch it up...using whatever I have.
    You can also add more seasoning if you need to. And I always add more parmesan cheese!

Then just let it simmer, covered for awhile. Sometimes I cook it for an hour, sometimes 3. Stir occasionally. I once had someone tell me never to stir the hardened sauce off the bottom, but I do.

If you like it with meatballs or sausages, you can add those, but I don't like to cook the meatballs in the sauce...too mushy. I make them first in the oven, then add them to the sauce. Or for sausages, I parboil them first, then cut them in half lengthwise and fry them before adding them.

NYYF Legend

I steam it, then pop it in the food processor with a little milk, S&P, garlic and smidgen of butter and sour cream...
    I am almost liking it better than real mashed potatoes ... and it is a heck of lot healthier.
    That sounds good. I am going to try it but I will have to substitute goat yogurt since I don't use cows milk.

28 in '12

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

I put some olive oil in a sauce pot and add chopped onions, sauteeing them for a bit, then I add chopped garlic, but not until you are almost ready to add the tomato paste because it will burn fast.
    Add a can of tomato paste and stir it around a bit, then add water a little at a time. It can be a little thin because it will thicken as you cook it, but not too watery. Sometimes I add a little red wine if I have a bottle open. I also like shredded parmesan cheese in my sauce, so I add that too, along with some seasoning (italian seasoning, salt and pepper, maybe a little garlic and onion powder) and I aways add a little sugar (maybe a teaspoon) to take the edge off the acidity of the tomatoes.
    Cover and let it simmer on low, and keep stirring periodically. If it's getting a little too thick, add more water, unless you like it thick.
    After it's been simmering awhile, add a can or two of either pureed tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, or tomato sauce. I switch it up...using whatever I have.
    You can also add more seasoning if you need to.

Then just let it simmer, covered for awhile. Sometimes I cook it for an hour, sometimes 3.
    That's exactly how I make my sauce except I add the paste at the end once I know how thick i want it to be. I also add hamburg meat after I put the onions and garlic in. I make it every Sunday so I can count on it for a few meals during the week.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers
    That's exactly how I make my sauce except I add the paste at the end once I know how thick i want it to be. I also add hamburg meat after I put the onions and garlic in. I make it every Sunday so I can count on it for a few meals during the week.
    I don't know why, but I have always started with the paste. I have even made a marinara for mussels with just paste, wine and water.

I also use chopped meat sometimes. I brown it with the onions and then add the paste.

NYYF Legend

I don't know why, but I have always started with the paste. I have even made a marinara for mussels with just paste, wine and water.

I also use chopped meat sometimes. I brown it with the onions and then add the paste.
    Maybe I'll try adding the paste early just to do it different.

Don't know yet, but I will make something. Time to think...
    You look hot. Seriously.

WHO THE F CHANGED MY CUT? johnnyyankee's Avatar

You can also add more seasoning if you need to. And I always add more parmesan cheese!

Then just let it simmer, covered for awhile. Sometimes I cook it for an hour, sometimes 3. Stir occasionally. I once had someone tell me never to stir the hardened sauce off the bottom, but I do.

If you like it with meatballs or sausages, you can add those, but I don't like to cook the meatballs in the sauce...too mushy. I make them first in the oven, then add them to the sauce. Or for sausages, I parboil them first, then cut them in half lengthwise and fry them before adding them.
    Simmering with meat in the sauce adds a lot of flavor. We brown a bunch of meatballs, sausage, a chunk of beef, and a chunk of pork. Then add it to the sauce on a low simmer so the meat cooks the rest of the way. Very flavorful. We haven't had a problem with meat getting too mushy. We usually make a big pot and then have enough to freeze for another 5 or 6 meals.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyankee
    Simmering with meat in the sauce adds a lot of flavor. We brown a bunch of meatballs, sausage, a chunk of beef, and a chunk of pork. Then add it to the sauce on a low simmer so the meat cooks the rest of the way. Very flavorful. We haven't had a problem with meat getting too mushy. We usually make a big pot and then have enough to freeze for another 5 or 6 meals.
    Browned ground beef doesn't get mushy in the sauce and if I am making meat sauce, I add it at the beginning. But meatballs come out soft if you cook them in the sauce, no?

WHO THE F CHANGED MY CUT? johnnyyankee's Avatar

Browned ground beef doesn't get mushy in the sauce and if I am making meat sauce, I add it at the beginning. But meatballs come out soft if you cook them in the sauce, no?

I guess it's all relative. Ours are not falling apart or anything like that. Do you put the meatballs in raw or brown them first? We brown them pretty well so maybe that makes them more firm. Then they finish cooking all the way through in the sauce.

NYYF Legend

I guess it's all relative. Ours are not falling apart or anything like that. Do you put the meatballs in raw or brown them first? We brown them pretty well so maybe that makes them more firm. Then they finish cooking all the way through in the sauce.
    That's how I do it too. Tasty little devils.

NYYF Legend

I never put them in the sauce until after the sauce is done and the meatballs are cooked in the oven. I'm going by my mother in law's sauce and the meatballs are always too soft. Definitely not falling apart, but not browned. Ewww.

Sometimes I cheat and buy those little frozen Italian meatballs. I actually like them. Shhh.

Thanks Karen - this is great - it's the 'blueprint' I was looking for. And I guess after I get the hang of it, I can tailor it to mine (or my guests) tastes.

I will give it a go hopefully this weekend and I will let you know!

Does it generally freeze well? Or does the family wind up eating it all ?
    Dawn

NYYF Legend

Thanks Karen - this is great - it's the 'blueprint' I was looking for. And I guess after I get the hang of it, I can tailor it to mine (or my guests) tastes.

I will give it a go hopefully this weekend and I will let you know!

Does it generally freeze well? Or does the family wind up eating it all ?
    I always make enough to freeze and it tastes even better the second time around.

Thread Information