+ Reply to Thread
Page 989 of 1058 FirstFirst ... 489 889 939 979 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 999 1039 ... LastLast
Results 24,701 to 24,725 of 26442
  1. #24701
    NYYF MVP

    The Comic Book Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA

    Re: What's on the menu this evening?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee View Post
    What exactly is free-range? Not kept in tiny quarters? Grass-fed? How many generations of this would a farm-raised (for the you-know-where) calf, lamb, etc have to go through this before there is a difference in the color and flavor of the meat?
    The definition of free range can have some variance, but in the case of veal it generally means the calves are allowed to roam around outside and eat grass, in addition to being fed milk. Because they're fed a natural diet and allowed to exercise, the color and flavor of the meat is different. The reason why most veal is milky white (and tender) is because the calves are fed an iron and fiber deficient diet to cause anemia, and are confined to very small crates so that they can't move around and develop muscle.

  2. #24702

    Re: What's on the menu this evening?

    Frittata with a side salad tonight.

  3. #24703
    NYYF Legend

    penfold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    SoCal

    Re: What's on the menu this evening?

    Trader Joe's ribs and mac&cheese. With a side of Seagrams Sweet Tea Vodka mixed with home-made lemonade.

    YUM.

  4. #24704
    R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

    Re: What's on the menu this evening?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Comic Book Guy View Post
    The definition of free range can have some variance, but in the case of veal it generally means the calves are allowed to roam around outside and eat grass, in addition to being fed milk. Because they're fed a natural diet and allowed to exercise, the color and flavor of the meat is different. The reason why most veal is milky white (and tender) is because the calves are fed an iron and fiber deficient diet to cause anemia, and are confined to very small crates so that they can't move around and develop muscle.
    OK, thanks. How come they aren't fed milk? I mean all mammals produce milk, and wasn't the cow's milk originally designed for them long before Louis Pasteur came along?

    So I guess that the free-ranging calves are allowed to develop muscle while roaming around.
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

  5. #24705
    R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

    Re: What's on the menu this evening?

    Quote Originally Posted by penfold View Post
    Trader Joe's ribs and mac&cheese. With a side of Seagrams Sweet Tea Vodka mixed with home-made lemonade.

    YUM.
    Did ya fall on yer face yet? How good was the vodka?

    Down south, they call iced tea + lemonade an "uptown". Now then, wuz ya up ... or wuz ya down on the ground?
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

  6. #24706
    NYYF Legend

    penfold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    SoCal

    Re: What's on the menu this evening?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee View Post
    Did ya fall on yer face yet? How good was the vodka?

    Down south, they call iced tea + lemonade an "uptown". Now then, wuz ya up ... or wuz ya down on the ground?
    Frankly, that vodka is nasty if poured straight or diluted with water. Adding the lemonade, however, makes it eminently drinkable and quite tasty. I was able to limit myself to two so I was fully functional last night and this morning. But I think it would be pretty easy to put away a lot more than that!

  7. #24707
    NYYF HOF

    theDurk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Basking Ridge, NJ

    Re: What's on the menu this evening?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee View Post
    OK, thanks. How come they aren't fed milk? I mean all mammals produce milk, and wasn't the cow's milk originally designed for them long before Louis Pasteur came along?

    So I guess that the free-ranging calves are allowed to develop muscle while roaming around.
    It's rare that calves are allowed to drink actual cow's milk. Dairy cows may suckle calves for two or three days max after birth, and then they are on the milking line while the calf gets a soy substitute mixed from powder. (My brother owns a dairy farm in PA.)

    I had a weekend cabin in the mountains when I lived in Brazil and we kept one or two milk cows at a time, and there were usually two or three calves around. One broke a leg and had to be sacrificed--he provided some of the most delicious meat I have ever had. It was bright pink, and extremely soft and juicy with flavor that was better than any beef I have ever had. That calf had full access to his mother as well as as much grass as he cared to eat and several acres of steep hillside to free range over. I doubt the stuff sold as 'free range' has access to anything like what this calf enjoyed.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

  8. #24708
    NYYF Legend

    smr15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    West Milford, NJ

    Re: What's on the menu this evening?

    I bought tilapia for tonight, but I'm not sure if I'll just broil it or maybe pan fry it (w/panko coating).
    Also have some nice looking brussel sprouts, and will probably throw a couple of sweet potatoes in the oven.

    Truthfully, right now I don't really have an appetite (not feeling great), and if it were up to me, I'd just have cereal for supper.
    .Of all the things in life I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

  9. #24709

    Re: What's on the menu this evening?

    Quote Originally Posted by smr15 View Post
    I bought tilapia for tonight, but I'm not sure if I'll just broil it or maybe pan fry it (w/panko coating).
    Also have some nice looking brussel sprouts, and will probably throw a couple of sweet potatoes in the oven.

    Truthfully, right now I don't really have an appetite (not feeling great), and if it were up to me, I'd just have cereal for supper.
    Isn't dinner up to you?
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

  10. #24710
    NYYF Legend

    4bronxbombers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

    Re: What's on the menu this evening?

    Quote Originally Posted by smr15 View Post
    I bought tilapia for tonight, but I'm not sure if I'll just broil it or maybe pan fry it (w/panko coating).
    Also have some nice looking brussel sprouts, and will probably throw a couple of sweet potatoes in the oven.

    Truthfully, right now I don't really have an appetite (not feeling great), and if it were up to me, I'd just have cereal for supper.

    I did brussel sprouts a few night ago - sort of a test to see if my kids would eat them. I put them in a bowl with evoo, coarse salt and pepper and put them in the oven. They were delicious. The kids ate a few of them - they weren't as thrilled at I was but they ate them.

  11. #24711
    NYYF Legend

    4bronxbombers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

    Re: What's on the menu this evening?

    Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    Isn't dinner up to you?
    I think she cooks for her dad too.

  12. #24712
    NYYF Legend

    b-ball-lunachick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    New Jersey

    Re: What's on the menu this evening?

    Lucky Charms (an old standby for me) and lots of pills!

  13. #24713
    NYYF Legend

    smr15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    West Milford, NJ

    Re: What's on the menu this evening?

    Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    Isn't dinner up to you?
    Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers View Post
    I think she cooks for her dad too.
    yep.

    Luckily, he agreed to me just microwaving a Celantano eggplant parm, with which I made him a sandwich. (He's very easy to please.... really not a pick person. Thank goodness.)

    I had pretzels. and seltzer.
    .Of all the things in life I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

  14. #24714
    Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    northern California

    Re: What's on the menu this evening?

    Quote Originally Posted by smr15 View Post
    yep.

    Luckily, he agreed to me just microwaving a Celantano eggplant parm, with which I made him a sandwich. (He's very easy to please.... really not a pick person. Thank goodness.)

    I had pretzels. and seltzer.
    For dinner?
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2014)
    Totus Tuus

  15. #24715
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006

    Re: What's on the menu this evening?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    For dinner?
    If she had only added a couple of mushrooms, you'd consider it a complete meal.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

  16. #24716
    NYYF Legend

    krystl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Westchester NY

    Re: What's on the menu this evening?

    Making some mahi mahi tonight! Going to marinate it with some soy sauce, honey, ginger and garlic. Yum!

  17. #24717
    NYYF Legend

    4bronxbombers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

    Re: What's on the menu this evening?

    Sounds great Karen. When I lived in Hawaii, a lot of the restaurants served it with chopped macadami nuts on top.

    Making sauce tonight. Kev has band practice so it will prob be me and the 3 kiddos.

  18. #24718
    Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    northern California

    Re: What's on the menu this evening?

    I boiled, then bbq's babybacks for the 1st time. Pretty good (easier for the kids to eat).

    The bbq sauce was pretty hot, though

    Anybody have a recipe?
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2014)
    Totus Tuus

  19. #24719
    R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

    Re: What's on the menu this evening?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    I boiled, then bbq's babybacks for the 1st time. Pretty good (easier for the kids to eat).

    The bbq sauce was pretty hot, though

    Anybody have a recipe?
    Nuttin' specific, but I'd get a heavy pot, add in some French onion soup (yes, I know that you prefer thingies Italian instead of French), add in some spices like gahlic, thyme, etc. Let simmer slowly for 30-60 mins until cooked. You could also use a crock pot and that would also work.

    Then stick it on the grill.

    Fer the sake of Evil Trishie:

    A pleasant alternative can be found by using the toaster oven to finish it off (and crispy it up a weedle bit).
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

  20. #24720
    Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    northern California

    Re: What's on the menu this evening?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee View Post
    Nuttin' specific, but I'd get a heavy pot, add in some French onion soup (yes, I know that you prefer thingies Italian instead of French), add in some spices like gahlic, thyme, etc. Let simmer slowly for 30-60 mins until cooked. You could also use a crock pot and that would also work.

    Then stick it on the grill.

    Fer the sake of Evil Trishie:

    A pleasant alternative can be found by using the toaster oven to finish it off (and crispy it up a weedle bit).
    That sounds awesome Brad. Thanks!
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2014)
    Totus Tuus

  21. #24721
    Forum Regular
    RUNYYFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Splitting time between Dayton, NJ and Needmore, PA

    Re: What's on the menu this evening?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    I boiled, then bbq's babybacks for the 1st time. Pretty good (easier for the kids to eat).

    The bbq sauce was pretty hot, though

    Anybody have a recipe?
    With ribs, I go "low and slow." That is low heat around 225 and slow time, about 3 to 5 hours depending on the number of racks I'm doing. For me the goal is to have the meat fall off the bone without having to use a knife or fork.

    My recipe is this:

    3 to 4 lbs. of ribs (about 2 racks of ribs)
    1 1/2 cups of Bone Suckin' Sauce or Sweet Baby Ray's Hickory & Brown Sugar *
    1/2 a cup of orange juice
    Bone Suckin' Original Seasoning and Rub

    *These are rather sweet sauces on their own. both companies have a full range of sauces to try them all.

    Wash the racks of ribs, pat dry. Place the ribs concave-side up. Using the tip of a well-sharpened paring knife, carefully draw the knife across the skin and fat between each of the ribs just deep enough to open the skin and some of the fat. DO NOT slice all the way through.

    In a large shallow roasting pan (12" x 16" x 2") place each rack of ribs, making certain not to overlap the ribs. Generously coat both sides of each rack of ribs with the Rib Rub. Set aside for at least an hour, preferably two.

    In a large mixing bowl combine the sauce and orange juice, stirring or whisking until well combined.

    When you are ready to begin cooking, decide which method you would prefer. You can use either a braiser or the oven.

    If you are using the braiser, follow these instructions. Use either a Weber OneTouch Gold or another kettle-type grill. Using a chimney starter load the starter 3/4 with regular charcoal. Do not use lighter fluid or MatchLight charcoal. The fluid smell with permeate the meat and ruin it. Follow the instructions for using the starter. Once the coals are ready, dump the coals on one side of the braiser. Place the upper grill on top, making certain one of the hinged grates is over the coals (you will need to add more hot coals from time to time during the cooking process). Place the ribs, meat-side up, on the other side of the grate. Using a cooking brush, apply a thin layer of sauce to the top of each rack of ribs. Place the cover on the braiser and open the vent 1/2 way.

    Every hour or so, check the coals to make certain they are still warm to mildly hot with heat. Add more coals as needed, preparing them with the chimney starter. Baste the ribs with more sauce at this time, but only a thin layer. Take approximately 1/2 remaining sauce and place in sauce pan on stove. Simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally to ensure it does not burn to bottom of pan.

    About three hours into cooking, check the temperature as the center of the rack of ribs with a kitchen thermometer. Cook until internal temperature reaches ~190 degrees. Once temperature is reached, remove ribs and serve immediately. Pour sauce that had been simmering into gravy boat for those who want more sauce at table.

    If you are using the oven, follow these instructions. Preheat oven to 225 degrees. Gently pour the sauce mixture over the ribs. Cover the roasting pan tightly with tinfoil. Place roasting pan on the rack in the center of the oven lengthwise so the racks of ribs receive even heating. Set your timer for two hours.

    Check the ribs after two hours for temperature. Internal temperature should be ~190 degrees. Continue cooking until internal temp. is reached. Remove cover from roasting pan and spoon sauce over the racks of ribs. Increase over temperature to 400 and return pan to oven for ~15 minutes. Ribs should have a glaze of sauce on top of them. Remove ribs from pan and serve immediately. Take remaining sauce and pour into a gravy boat for those who want more sauce at table.


    Hope this helps.
    Marc


  22. #24722
    Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    northern California

    Re: What's on the menu this evening?

    Quote Originally Posted by RUNYYFan View Post
    With ribs, I go "low and slow." That is low heat around 225 and slow time, about 3 to 5 hours depending on the number of racks I'm doing. For me the goal is to have the meat fall off the bone without having to use a knife or fork.

    My recipe is this:

    3 to 4 lbs. of ribs (about 2 racks of ribs)
    1 1/2 cups of Bone Suckin' Sauce or Sweet Baby Ray's Hickory & Brown Sugar *
    1/2 a cup of orange juice
    Bone Suckin' Original Seasoning and Rub

    *These are rather sweet sauces on their own. both companies have a full range of sauces to try them all.

    Wash the racks of ribs, pat dry. Place the ribs concave-side up. Using the tip of a well-sharpened paring knife, carefully draw the knife across the skin and fat between each of the ribs just deep enough to open the skin and some of the fat. DO NOT slice all the way through.

    In a large shallow roasting pan (12" x 16" x 2") place each rack of ribs, making certain not to overlap the ribs. Generously coat both sides of each rack of ribs with the Rib Rub. Set aside for at least an hour, preferably two.

    In a large mixing bowl combine the sauce and orange juice, stirring or whisking until well combined.

    When you are ready to begin cooking, decide which method you would prefer. You can use either a braiser or the oven.

    If you are using the braiser, follow these instructions. Use either a Weber OneTouch Gold or another kettle-type grill. Using a chimney starter load the starter 3/4 with regular charcoal. Do not use lighter fluid or MatchLight charcoal. The fluid smell with permeate the meat and ruin it. Follow the instructions for using the starter. Once the coals are ready, dump the coals on one side of the braiser. Place the upper grill on top, making certain one of the hinged grates is over the coals (you will need to add more hot coals from time to time during the cooking process). Place the ribs, meat-side up, on the other side of the grate. Using a cooking brush, apply a thin layer of sauce to the top of each rack of ribs. Place the cover on the braiser and open the vent 1/2 way.

    Every hour or so, check the coals to make certain they are still warm to mildly hot with heat. Add more coals as needed, preparing them with the chimney starter. Baste the ribs with more sauce at this time, but only a thin layer. Take approximately 1/2 remaining sauce and place in sauce pan on stove. Simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally to ensure it does not burn to bottom of pan.

    About three hours into cooking, check the temperature as the center of the rack of ribs with a kitchen thermometer. Cook until internal temperature reaches ~190 degrees. Once temperature is reached, remove ribs and serve immediately. Pour sauce that had been simmering into gravy boat for those who want more sauce at table.

    If you are using the oven, follow these instructions. Preheat oven to 225 degrees. Gently pour the sauce mixture over the ribs. Cover the roasting pan tightly with tinfoil. Place roasting pan on the rack in the center of the oven lengthwise so the racks of ribs receive even heating. Set your timer for two hours.

    Check the ribs after two hours for temperature. Internal temperature should be ~190 degrees. Continue cooking until internal temp. is reached. Remove cover from roasting pan and spoon sauce over the racks of ribs. Increase over temperature to 400 and return pan to oven for ~15 minutes. Ribs should have a glaze of sauce on top of them. Remove ribs from pan and serve immediately. Take remaining sauce and pour into a gravy boat for those who want more sauce at table.


    Hope this helps.
    That sounds awesome. Thank you!
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2014)
    Totus Tuus

  23. #24723
    NYYF Legend

    krystl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Westchester NY
    Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers View Post
    Sounds great Karen. When I lived in Hawaii, a lot of the restaurants served it with chopped macadami nuts on top.

    Making sauce tonight. Kev has band practice so it will prob be me and the 3 kiddos.
    I made hubby prepare the fish because I got grossed out when I saw the center bone thing and skin.

    Once he cut it into filets, I did the rest. I wish he would have had the fish guy filet it, because it's expensive and he paid for the stuff we threw out.

  24. #24724
    Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    northern California

    Re: What's on the menu this evening?

    Quote Originally Posted by krystl View Post
    I made hubby prepare the fish because I got grossed out when I saw the center bone thing and skin.

    Once he cut it into filets, I did the rest. I wish he would have had the fish guy filet it, because it's expensive and he paid for the stuff we threw out.

    Make fish stew out of the remains
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2014)
    Totus Tuus

  25. #24725
    NYYF Legend

    krystl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Westchester NY
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    Make fish stew out of the remains
    Ugh, no. I like fish as long as it's mild. But I can't stand a fishy smell and if I find a bone or a scale, I'm done with fish for months.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts